Show me your garden

Options

Replies

• auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    @karlottap haven't every tried pepper in the garden, we used cayenne once to keep ants out of the house, it worked
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    A massive hailstorm ripped through on Saturday and killed just about everything. My little tomato plants are beaten to hell, but there are some green tomatoes still attached to the vine. All my greens, especially those massive collards, got their leaves thoroughly mutilated. Cabbages and cauliflower seem to be doing okay.

I've got my fingers crossed that things grow back. :(

I feel your pain. We got a hail storm earlier this week and it shredded most of the newly planted flowers, the swiss chard, that luckily I had just thinned out for dinner ;), and some of the lettuce was pretty damaged too. We have been cleaning up and some stuff hopefully will be coming back. Luckily we had put off planting the tomatoes, so they are still fine inside.
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    We have officially invited the Wood Chucks to feast on some fresh sweet Cantaloupe B)

by48abfy2k8r.jpg

6snatmyv5djb.jpg

My latest addition a Mr. Stripey

l5nhl5jc10yn.jpg

>:) or o:)

• DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Update pics of my garden:

2pxstfjj4d7u.jpg

All compost from neighbor in. This was 5/21/2016

Since I have had deer wipe out my garden, I erected a deer fence/trellis. I put it at 45 degrees to not block morning/evening sun. And deer are less likely to attempt a jump when slanted (my theory).

Here is a pic of that: (brocolli planted) Pic taken 5/27/2016

gonp5tpj9e0y.jpg

The boards are walking planks, since it is very thick compost, the boards spread my weight. Also shown is transplanted squash (I planted indoors by seed). Many pepper plants in. (6) Cabbage transplants (store bought).
    Sweet basil, french tarragon. Asparagus. Carrots seeded. White, yellow and purple onions. Leeks, scallions and chives.

My dill is growing crazy. I'm glad for two reasons, I planted a lot of cucumbers (4 or 5) different varieties. Maybe 3 dozen plants in all. And second reason, fresh dill in the store is expensive!

kjx06fghcsaq.jpg

If you look closely, you can see my asparagus! I was so excited to see them pop out. When I bought the crowns, they were dry roots. A YouTube video said not to purchase them that way (not sure why). But mine are all alive. They will form a huge fern.

8reed8wct6f6.jpg

Here's zoomed in of the first stuff I planted. Peppers, cabbage, broccoli. The onions are all standing up now ~ they were so pathetic when I planted them. Cucumbers are next to concrete block on left side. I hope I can train them to go on a 45 degree trellis (not sure). The peppers are different types and sizes that I purchased from different store (that's why they are different sizes):

ip8281pq9as6.jpg

Looking to right of previous pic, broccoli, dill, scallions, onions, sweet basil. I later companion planted rainbow radishes between broccoli plants.

kottrumcd5ui.jpg

Broccoli is starting to head. I think its too soon, but I can't stop it. I hope they aren't bolting:

vknur8hvsa97.jpg

Not shown ~ but planted:
    Cantaloupe (next to trellis, I'm going to let them climb it)
    More peppers (soreno's, jalapenos)
    French tarragon
    Blueberries
    raspberries
    blackberries

Yet to plant:

Taters
    (4) kinds of climber beans
    Strawberries
    watermelon
    Garlic
    Elephant garlic (if I can find some)

More pics later.

Dan the Man from Michigan
    Keto / The Recipe Water Fasting / E.A.S.Y. Exercise Program
    v1bk0hqkhxv5.jpg

• auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @dittodan that is amazing, nice work, I can't wait to see more updates

My peppers tomatoes and zucchini are starting to take hold, they looked rough for a while after I transplanted, but they are much happier now

qvc9g1brakr3.jpg
  • ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »

2pxstfjj4d7u.jpg

All compost from neighbor in. This was 5/21/2016

Since I have had deer wipe out my garden, I erected a deer fence/trellis. I put it at 45 degrees to not block morning/evening sun. And deer are less likely to attempt a jump when slanted (my theory).

Here is a pic of that: (brocolli planted) Pic taken 5/27/2016

gonp5tpj9e0y.jpg

The boards are walking planks, since it is very thick compost, the boards spread my weight. Also shown is transplanted squash (I planted indoors by seed). Many pepper plants in. (6) Cabbage transplants (store bought).
    Sweet basil, french tarragon. Asparagus. Carrots seeded. White, yellow and purple onions. Leeks, scallions and chives.

My dill is growing crazy. I'm glad for two reasons, I planted a lot of cucumbers (4 or 5) different varieties. Maybe 3 dozen plants in all. And second reason, fresh dill in the store is expensive!

kjx06fghcsaq.jpg

If you look closely, you can see my asparagus! I was so excited to see them pop out. When I bought the crowns, they were dry roots. A YouTube video said not to purchase them that way (not sure why). But mine are all alive. They will form a huge fern.

8reed8wct6f6.jpg

Here's zoomed in of the first stuff I planted. Peppers, cabbage, broccoli. The onions are all standing up now ~ they were so pathetic when I planted them. Cucumbers are next to concrete block on left side. I hope I can train them to go on a 45 degree trellis (not sure). The peppers are different types and sizes that I purchased from different store (that's why they are different sizes):

ip8281pq9as6.jpg

Looking to right of previous pic, broccoli, dill, scallions, onions, sweet basil. I later companion planted rainbow radishes between broccoli plants.

kottrumcd5ui.jpg

Broccoli is starting to head. I think its too soon, but I can't stop it. I hope they aren't bolting:

vknur8hvsa97.jpg

Not shown ~ but planted:
    French tarragon
    Blueberries
    raspberries
    blackberries

Yet to plant:

Taters
    Strawberries
    watermelon
    Garlic

More pics later.

v1bk0hqkhxv5.jpg

What zone are you in? And holy cow.... How many cucumbers did u say u planted?
  • Carnivorekat
    Carnivorekat Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    feeling shamed about my garden - time to get out and start tidying it up - it looks like a hay field at the minute - not going to aim for any vege's as always forget to water them, but will get it looking tidy again
  • DittoDan
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »

<snip>

Not shown ~ but planted:
    French tarragon
    Blueberries
    raspberries
    blackberries

Yet to plant:

Taters
    Strawberries
    watermelon
    Garlic

More pics later.

v1bk0hqkhxv5.jpg

What zone are you in? And holy cow.... How many cucumbers did u say u planted?

I'm in zone 6, southern Michigan. I planted like 3 or 4 dozen plants (I like pickles). I'll count them tonight.

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @DittoDan - did your scobies arrive intact??
  • DittoDan
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    @DittoDan - did your scobies arrive intact??

YUP! Thank you! I actually put them in a gigantic jar, threw some kombucha, water, tea, and sugar in it. I want them to revive them a little before I feed them to my plants, biochar and compost..... :happy:

Dan
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I had to admit, I felt kind of like a drug smuggler, packaging it all up to send! It was a "whole lotta Scoby!" LOL

EDITED TO ADD: Sadly, I have to decide what to do with the little bits that are left, as the tannins and histamines are too much for me right now...possibly ever. :(
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    5q60lesug9ce.jpeg

Some blueberries I just picked, plus a view of the back yard. Beautiful day here! Will be getting in the pool once the sun isn't directly overhead!
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    Oh Karla, that looks beautiful, tasty and relaxing.... I want to jump in the pool !
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I rent and am lazy. Kudos to all of you. Thanks for sharing.
    inb4 box or window garden suggestions - I don't wanna. I go to the farmers markets and I also have some onions and celery growing in water, usually. And I buy fresh herbs and keep them in jars with water in the fridge. It's like a little vase garden in there.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I was picking cucumbers yesterday and came across a snake among the vines. Hate snakes but immediately recognized it as a black snake versus the copperheads we have in the area so just let it be and returned later for the cucs.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I'm in the process of buying a house and look forward to figuring out how to garden starting next year. Between now and then, I plan to research low carb gardening as much as possible. But the house I'm buying has 2 other things to consider:

1. There is a giant maple tree in the back yard that shades the entire yard and half of the house. I live in a small town of about 5K residents and I'm pretty sure it is the biggest maple tree in town. I haven't measured, but eye-balling, it is about 7-10 feet in diameter at the trunk. I don't want to destroy such a grand old tree. But also, as long as the tree is there, I can't grow much in the back yard because there is too much shade.
    2. There are moisture problems in the basement. There is a flower bed along the foundation on one side of the front of the house. That is one of the walls where water is seeping in. I would like to replace those flowers with vegetables that will help soak up lots of water. Fortunately, the tree doesn't shade that area.

OK, So I measured this and it may not be perfectly measured, but I came up with 6.75 feet in diameter. It's just shy of the 7-10 feet that I was guessing, but I suppose part of that was memory as I hadn't looked at it very closely and not for a couple weeks before posting that estimate. In any case, it's still pretty big.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Ha! A beer garden, and I don't even need an ID or cover charge.