50extra - My weight loss journey with all the embarrassing details

Options

Replies

• 50extra
    50extra Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    So nothing really new to report on my stalled journey. Back from the lake and it was so nice, I could have stayed for a month no sweat but the three days was good enough for now. Got a ton of wood moved and stacked plus landscaped and put grass seed down on a half acre or so. Had to set watering timers so hopefully we guessed right and aren't flooding out the property.

This week at home I am attacking my front and backyard. Laying down some rock in the front instead of grass and putting rock and sod in the backyard. If I can get it done I might just be able to sneak one more cheeky trip to the lake next weekend.

As for diet and exercise, I'm working pretty hard in the yard and still haven't done any working out. I'm eating at maintenance and hovering between the 215-218 mark. Trying to make healthy choices but truly don't have the time to sit and log it. My ultimate goal is to learn how to eat properly and when I hit maintenance not need MFP for the logging side of things. These last two months have been a positive indicator that maintenance without logging is going to be possible. My next trip into Russia will be for a full month so I should be able to come out real close to onederland, that is unless someone decides to die a couple times again.

Amy gym equipment still isn't in but I am fully expecting to get it next week. Still looking forward to it. Oh yeah, and I'm getting air conditioning in my house tomorrow and the install will be done Wednesday. It was 30 degrees here today and at 9:38pm it's still 28 in my daughters bedroom with the windows open and the fans on. I can't wait.

• Quzzdragon12
    Quzzdragon12 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Took me a minute to remember Celsius :tongue: haha! Glad to hear you're getting AC and your equipment soon. It's great that you're learning what maintenance is and means for your body without MFP. I think that's way harder than people think.
  • Kell2912
    Kell2912 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Hey Mate good to hear from you. I wouldn't necessarily say you haven't been working out. Ok you might not have been on the tready or doing your T25 but hauling around wood and working in the garden and at the lake has got to be up there. I'm really glad you have taken some positives out of this past couple of months and can see a healthy future for yourself. It's also good to see you looking forward to when you are in Russia and have a bit of a goal. I get a sense that some of the old 50 is coming back. I look forward to tracking your journey

Air Con is a wonderous thing. Living in a country where it regularly gets up to 40 odd degrees in summer it is a must have here. You won't know yourself once it's installed.
  • LottieStanley
    LottieStanley Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I think your right about the Bud lights. Moving wood is hard work!!! Lol.
  • WifiresGettingFit
    WifiresGettingFit Posts: 1,773 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Sounds like you're still staying active so I wouldn't say it's a stalled journey! I hope the watering timers don't flood the property, that would suck.

Sounds like you also got a lot done at your house, that's awesome!! I hope you get it all done so you can take another trip to the lake. The lake sounds like it's very peaceful.

I think you're well on your way to being able to be without MFP. I don't personally think I'm anywhere near being able to do that yet but maybe one day. I hope no one dies a couple times on your next work trip. How is your friend doing?

You may have answered this previously and I just don't recall it, but what is taking so long to get your gym equipment? I hope it does come next week, I think you'll be happier and it may get you back into working out when you're home (provided you aren't doing as much yard work, etc.) Sounds like the ac is much needed!

Hope you're having a good week! Look forward to your next update!
  • 50extra
    Options
    Hey guys!

So it's been a few days since I checked in. I stepped on the scale for my Monday weigh in and hit a new low. Down to 214.2lbs which literally blows me away. For the last week straight I have eaten nothing but fast food and drank copious amounts of beer but am happy to report MY YARD IS DONE!!! I built my house over four years ago and the entire time I stared at dirt and weeds in my front and backyard. Now my backyard has sod and some rock around the trees and my front yard is all rock. I looks so much better.

The work we did was hard and like I said I ate like crap but still managed to hit a new lowest recorded weight since I started this journey at the beginning of the year. To put it into perspective, in one day I moved over 8 tons of top soil, 6.5 tons of rock and over three tons of sod all by shovel, hand and wheel barrow. I'm pretty happy about it. I put in underground sprinklers all hooked up to a four zone timer so other than mowing the lawn it's completely maintenance free. I will head back to Russia next Monday, after I write this I am booking my flights. I still have the goal of getting into overweight which is now only 3 pounds away and my longer term goal is to be 199 by August 1st for summer holidays!

Wifire you asked why the equipment was so delayed and it was because the stores warehouse moved so they depleted their inventory to make it easier. Most things were only ordered when people purchased it. It was just a bad timing thing on my part. The good news is that it's in now and I will try to get it today after my daughters nap or maybe tomorrow morning. The basement is still a disaster so that's the next project.

I logged my breakfast today and hope to continue logging everyday from now until summer holidays on August 1st.

Oh and some good news is because I got the yard done I can goto the lake this weekend. I'll decide in the next couple days if I am or not.

All in all I'm in a much better place mentally now then I was before. I'm out of my funk and am ready to make some forward progress. I look forward to being able to post some workouts and losses over the next few weeks as well as some healthier eating.

Thank you to the people that have been following me on here!

Next stop, Overweight!
  • 50extra
    Options
    I just re-read this post after writing it, if anyone is following I apologize for rambling. I have a lot to say because I am frustrated that I let my journey stall out and am anxious to get back to the losing ways.

It seems that the entire "Motivation Journal" section is slow now. That really is disappointing. I found that when I was achieving my best results at the start of the year this section was booming with people and comments. I hope that everything hasn't fallen off.

So its been two weeks since I checked in. I landed in Siberia this morning at 3:30am and am now at work. I am supposed to weigh in today but since I just flew I refuse too. I will in the morning. Unfortunately I will be waking up to around a 5 pound gain in two weeks and that is if I am lucky. Going forward I am going to try and avoid stopping off in Moscow, all that happens there is eating like a pig and drinking too much beer. My next shift I will try to fly straight into Siberia.

I said it a few posts ago but I have pretty much done nothing fitness wise for what feels like an eternity. In reality I believe I stopped working out at the start of April except for a workout here and there. Because of this, my weight is right around the same as it was in the start of April. My hurt knee still acts up and a couple days ago I hurt my ankle so now it hurts to walk and is all swollen. I feel as though my body is starting to fall apart and I need to do something about it. Thankfully I am in the part of the world where I can focus solely on eating at my deficit and if my body will allow it, I can work out nightly.

I have reset my daily streak to represent what it really is. Somehow it didn't reset by itself even when I didn't log on for a week straight. I am back to being motivated now and am looking at this as the next step in my journey.

On the day before I left I picked up my gym equipment, it finally all showed up. Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to set it up but will take care of that when I get home at the end of July. I plan on spending three weeks at the lake so chances are it will collect dust during the summer and I will start using it come fall. Regardless, it makes me happy that I finally have all of the stuff at my house.

So looking forward to the next 23 days my goal is to get back on the wagon. I said two weeks ago that I would like to hit 199 pounds by August 1st but I don't see that happening. I feel soft and bloated and it is quite obvious to myself that I have gained weight.

Since this post is getting long and I keep rambling, here is what I AM going to do.

1. I will log everything I eat and try to stay around 1500 net calories. I am ok if it creeps up to 2000 net calories a couple times but the majority of the time, I'm shooting around 1500
    2. If my ankle and knee hold up I want to work out 20 nights out of the next 23. I won't consider it a failure if I physically can't work out but provided everything holds together this should be easy. I believe that even with my messed up ankle I can ride the bike. Tonight will tell me for sure.
    3. I will not drink a beer until I am back down at the lake on the boat for summer holidays. I don't really have any buddies on shift with me so this should be a no brainer.

If I can succeed in achieving the three items listed above I am confident that by the end of this shift I will officially be into the "Overweight" category.

I will check back in tomorrow and update on my current weight and the status of my ankle. I hope to weigh in at 218 lbs but have a sneaking suspicion that I am over 220 again :neutral:

• WifiresGettingFit
    Options
    @50extra You don't have to apologize for rambling, isn't that what a journal is for? :)

I have noticed that it is more quiet around here lately. I always check in (almost) daily for new post and try to comment on them but I've probably missed some. (like the one you posted before this current one.)

If you have any device linked to MFP and use it even if you don't go on MFP itself, it'll keep your streak.

I would definitely take it easy on that knee and ankle. As someone with ankle problems (and knee problems), I can't do anything if it's acting up because it seems to just aggravate it more (even if it's supposed to be a low impact exercise.)

I'm glad your gym equipment finally came in! I guess it makes sense for them to order as needed when moving locations but at least now you have it and can set it up once things get situated.

I think those are good goals and I know you can do it!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    You can always shift to core/upper body stuff if your knees and ankles won't cooperate...I think on darebee you can search for exercises by muscle group.
  • 50extra
    Options
    @WifiresGettingFit I am definitely going to be careful with my ankle, its swollen and sore and makes me limp to walk but I found out I can ride the stationary bike which makes me happy. I am happy about the gym equipment too, I bought my wife that new rules of lifting for women book in hopes that she finds a program that speaks to her.

@tcunbeliever I had never looked at that Darebee site, the only time I had heard anything about it was you speak about it on your journal, I am going to take a deeper look at it when I get some time. Thanks for pointing it out for me.

So I stepped on the scale this morning to a disappointing 221.8 lbs. That is a 7.6lb gain over the last three weeks. Can't say that I am surprised, and I can't say that I didn't know it was coming. I do think that there is a couple lbs of water weight hiding on me that will leave in the next day or two but I definitely feel softer and more fluffy then I did a couple months ago. I almost didn't want to enter it on MFP because now when I drop back down to the 214 mark people are going to think I lost all of this weight, when I really didn't. I know it bothers me when I see people posting weight loss every few days but their total loss never changes.

As I mentioned above I was able to ride the stationary bike last night and got a real good sweat going. I rode for 38 minutes and according to my HRM burned 322 calories. I think the calorie burn might have came out a little high but all in all I was good with the workout. That's 1 night down 22 more to go on working out.

My food yesterday wasn't good. Other than oatmeal and chili I pretty much just snacked and was under my calories by quite a bit. I didn't want MFP to get mad at me so before I closed the entry I added calories that I didn't really eat, not sure why I did that but it happened. I haven't gotten to the grocery store yet so my food intake today will most likely be similar.

So my legs feel good today, my ankles a bit sore and my knee feels normal. I would love to get into some T25 but there's a 0% chance that my ankle would hold out for it so I will keep my calories close, sweat a bit on the bike and should see some consistent losses for the next three weeks.
  • 50extra
    Options
    Soon after I wrote the above post I started thinking about the tiny amount of cardio I have done in the last little while and decided to pull up a report. In the last 90 days I have only worked out 7 times. Before last night, the last time was May 6th. I belong to MFP and have a group of people that I support and who in turn support me. I am embarrassed and I wonder why I even have been logging into the community if I wasn't going to do anything to lose weight? I am glad that I did, but I'm not sure why I bothered.

My personal experience with weight loss since January is that it is completely voluntary. When I watch what I eat and put in the time in my gym I lose, when I eat like a slob and sit on the couch I gain, I have even found out that if I watch what I eat and don't work out I maintain.

Losing weight is easy. Not easy as in it requires no effort or dedication, but easy as in I know exactly what needs to be done to do it. It almost amazes me now, at the end of June that I am still at 221lbs. I was 5 pounds lighter than this three months ago on April 4th. How in the world did I allow myself to get off track for three whole months on something that I was so passionate about doing in January.

Things are changing starting today. I have 21 full days left in Siberia and summer holidays officially start on August 1st. I will make the changes needed starting today to move forward.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up for having a setback, you know how to make the loss happen just focus on going forward with that strategy - part of making this a sustainable life is having those setbacks and learning to let go of those old habits that damage your health, it's a lifelong journey, the last few months won't stop you from getting where you want to go in the end!

You really are losing this weight, consider giving yourself credit for losing it even if you are losing it again...I think I probably lose the same 2 lbs about 10 times before I am able to make them stay off for good...I still celebrate every loss, and I try to use the gains for motivation to keep to the path!
  • Quzzdragon12
    Quzzdragon12 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Can't agree with @tcunbeliever enough! I've been gaining and losing the same 4 pounds for almost a month. What's important to acknowledge where you are, and make a plan to move forward. Which is sounds like you've done! Keep moving towards your goals and you will achieve them! :)
  • WifiresGettingFit
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @50extra Hmm have you tried keeping it elevated when you can and put an ice pack on it? Hopefully the swelling goes down. If she's not interested in NROLFW (I have the book but haven't read it yet.) they have compiled a list of lifting programs here http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1 and she may find one she likes better!

I haven't known one person who hasn't had at least one setback in their journey. I've been losing the same 3-4 pounds since February when I happily announced that I had officially lost my first 10 pounds. Each month now I say this is going to be the month (which I believe you've read in my journal.) My point is is that you aren't alone and (I agree with the above) you should be proud of the progress you've made thus far even if you're struggling now. Don't be so hard on yourself! You can do this!

• 50extra
    Options
    @tcunbeliever I'm not beating myself up over this although I should be because given the situation its borderline embarrassing. I try to be honest to myself, I do celebrate victories as that's extremely important, but if I act like an idiot like I have the last few months, the only way to change it is to recognize how stupid I have been and then do something about it. To sugar coat it and tell myself that it's okay doesn't work. I don't let things slide anywhere else in my life other than my weight, and this year has been dedicated to fix that and get it in line with the rest of things. I allowed myself to make excuses to not workout for the last 5 weeks at home. Sometimes it was as simple as wanting to nap, or telling myself that I'll work out tomorrow when the wife was home. Other times it was thinking that I wanted to lift weights but "can't" because my new weights hadn't arrived (even though there is a full bowflex machine downstairs) its all excuses. I go on summer holidays in August and I actually had a chance to look good on the boat for the first time in my life, but I blew that for another year. I had really reasonable goals set but decided sitting on the couch was more important. As I mentioned that's done. For the next few months, the only time it's okay to not pay attention will be holidays, for the rest of the time I will stick to my plan.

@Quzzdragon12 Thanks for the vote of confidence, that is exactly what I am planning on doing

@WifiresGettingFit My options for keeping it elevated and iced are few and far between but luckily the pain is going away. If I cinch up my work boots real tight I can even walk without a limp now. The swelling is still there but the pain is getting better. I am hoping that within two or three days I will be able to do some T25 videos. Riding the bike is good but those videos are the real workout. Thanks for sending me that link to the other workouts, I'm not so interested in them for the Mrs. but more for myself. I have already set my mind to doing strong lifts 5x5 and it was the whole reason I went out and bought a power rack and weight set but its a well known fact that strong lifts is a beginner routine that gets old fairly quickly. Also I don't know how long I can do squats 3x a week before I start having problems. So once I'm satisfied with SL5x5 I am going to use that to find a new routine.

So last night was another success. I was able to ride the bike for 45 minutes and got a real nice workout from it. My HRM clocked in at 376 calories. It feels good to sweat again, like @Kell2912 posted, sweat is fat crying. As mentioned above my ankle feels a bit better and riding the bike doesn't bother it at all. Food yesterday was okay as well. I was right around the calorie mark but the majority of them were from snacks. I am hoping to get to the grocery store tonight or tomorrow to start making real food. Not that I'm complaining about eating beef jerky and protein bars :smile:

After working out twice I already feel better about the whole situation. I am much less puffy then I was before and my torso is starting to tighten up again. I really want to get back on T25 to get more muscles working but for the meantime the bike will help with the weight loss. I do have a big day at work today with lots of lifting but provided my knee doesn't act up there should be no reason I can't get another 300 calorie burn in tonight on the treadmill. I can already feel the effects of burning calories on my stomach too. The first two days my oatmeal filled me up until lunch time, now I already hungry at 10am.

If I can stay injury free for the next three weeks by goal is to reach 211 pounds. That's three pounds a week but as I mentioned I still think I have a couple extra pounds of water sitting on me.

Thanks for listening, I feel better now that I have finished my rant.
  • WifiresGettingFit
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @50extra well I"m glad the pain is subsiding but I really wouldn't push it if it's still swelled. Hopefully that'll go down in the next couple of days too! I plan to do SL myself. I think the whole program is 12 weeks long if I remember correctly. There is also this (I just found this but since you're equipment is in, it's probably not useful now. haha) http://stronglifts.com/strength-training-with-only-one-barbell/ Glad the list will come in handy for you!

I'm having a snacking problem myself only it isn't beef jerky and protein bars. I would probably be better off if it was. haha Hopefully you can get to the grocery store soon so you'll have more choices and feel better about what you're eating!

I hope your knee doesn't act up again! I put a little flax (6g) and protein powder (11g) in my oatmeal the other day, it only added about 7 grams of protein but it did help satiate me longer. Plus it tasted like a brown sugar cinnamon chocolate little debbie snack. haha It was still mostly carb. 41c/6f/11p but it was good!

Here's hoping you stay injury free! I know you can meet your goal!

Rant anytime, it's what we are here for! =D
  • 50extra
    Options
    @WifiresGettingFit I'm happy to report that the ankle is again even better today. I can walk on flat ground with no pain so I'm getting closer to a recovery. The base that I work at is mostly sand and that still makes it ache a bit. Unfortunately I can't avoid walking around in it but for the time being I would say its probably up to about 60%. The swelling is still noticeable compared to my other ankle but with any luck I should be able to try T25 tomorrow night or the next.

I would love to say that I will be able to do the SL program start to finish but even in a perfect world I can only do 4 weeks in a row then I come back to work. In the distant future I may be able to start a month on month off bulking/cutting program and see if it works. Before I worry about that I need to get started lifting.

I used to do the protein powder in my oatmeal thing but lately it grosses me out a little bit. Something that I found is absolutely delicious is chocolate powder in coffee. You just need to make sure you don't try to add it to hot coffee or it makes a gooey mess. You can either mix it with a bit of milk and water then add the coffee or mix it with cold coffee and heat it up afterwards. It takes like a really creamy mocha.

As for last night. I am happy to report that I am three for three on both eating within my calorie goals and working out. I was able to crush a 45 minute ride last night and worked out hard enough to sweat right through an entire T-shirt. As I voiced before, for me personally if I'm not sweating like that I'm not working hard enough. I could ride the bike for much longer that 45 minutes if I had a more comfortable seat to sit on. I'm sure in Canada I would be able to modify it somehow to make it better but without tools or stores here I'm pretty much hooped. Either way I am happy if I get 30-45 minutes each ride. A 200-300 calorie addition is more than enough to get me through the days. The uncomfortable seats on both this bike and the one I have at home are making me consider buying a recumbent bike for at home but I don't know if I want to drop another $1500 on my home gym that I have barely been using.

This morning (as I do every morning) I stepped on the scale and it is indeed starting to trend downwards. Once I seen that I rewarded myself with a touch of real maple syrup in my oatmeal. It was a nice little treat but I don't like all of the added sugar on a regular basis, so for now I will keep it to once or twice a week as a bit of a celebration.

After today I will be out of food so I guess I will finally find my way to the grocery store, I'm not the worlds greatest cook so I assume soup, fajitas and chili are in my near future.

I'm still really positive about working out and eating healthy again which makes this much easier to stick too. If the scale keeps going in the right direction that is all of the motivation that I need to stick too it for the next few weeks. @WifiresGettingFit as I mentioned on your page, if you are interested in coming up with some sort of plan to keep us focused for July let me know. And anyone else who reads this is more than welcome to do it with us if we decide too. I'm thinking along the lines of a certain amount of days, and minutes per day of exercise, as well as a certain number of days for meeting calorie goals.
  • 50extra
    Options
    Well I got a little more pep in my step now today. I was out in the shop and seen a guy for the first time in many months and he said "Holy *kitten* man, I barely recognized you, I had heard you lost weight but didn't expect this"

Made my day!
  • WifiresGettingFit
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @50extra I'm glad the ankle is getting even better, that's good news!

I'm not sure you're going to see a lot of gains in a month on bulk and a month cut cycle but I'm not an expert so who knows. haha It may work for you depending on your goals and of course what you're able to do with your work schedule and such. I know you're interested in lifting but have you thought about doing body weight training? It would be something you could do anywhere so you would still be able to do it even while you're away at work. I've heard good things about You Are Your Own Gym and Convict Conditioning around the forum. I think they are both listed on the what lifting program is best for you link I posted earlier.

I'm not a coffee drinker and I'm actually surprised the protein in my oatmeal didn't gross me out. The powder I have doesn't really mix well but I need to start using it so I can get a different one. I bought it because I had one of the premade shakes they sell and loved it but the powder is just not cooperative. (I've had it for a while now and it's just been sitting in my pantry) It doesn't matter how I shake it, mix it, blend it. It sucks. I tried it in hot chocolate and like 20 minutes later of mixing it still had chunks. I poured it down the drain because it was disgusting. If I was a coffee drinker, drinking creamy mocha would be right up my alley.

Way to go! Sounds like you're really being consistent and getting back on the track! This is great! I'm proud of you! Keep it up! =)

Glad you're seeing a downward trend!

There is nothing wrong with soups, fajitas or chili! All of it sounds good!!

I think that would be great to have a little plan for the month of July. I will post my thoughts in my journal but I think how you want to set it up would work just fine.

That is awesome! It's always nice when your hard work is recognized! =)

• 50extra
    Options
    @WifiresGettingFit I commented on the July plan on your page.

Yes I have thought about body weight exercises but really have a dislike for them. Probably comes from the thousands of pushups, burpees and situps we used to have to do in dry land training for hockey. I seriously hate them because they used to be pushed on us as punishment and to this day they feel like punishment. T25 uses most of your muscles so that is how I will work out over here for weights. When you are forced to do the body weight exercises in T25 it doesn't feel near as bad.

So last night I only put in some lighter cardio, I rode the bike for 30 minutes. After I was on it for 10 minutes a knew I wasn't going to be there for long so i did 10 rounds of HIIT on it. One minute easy riding and then 1 minutes full resistance as hard as I could go. Got my heart rate up to 170 or so which hasn't happened for a while. It felt good!

Depending on how today goes at work I will do my T25 dvd. I plan to only focus on a couple of the DVDs to start getting my body ready for lifting. There is a real good lower body (legs) dvd as well as a mostly upper body so I will to do them two days on one day off with my bike at the same time.