Skinny people shouldn't give fat people weight loss advice.

Options

Replies

• walker1world
    walker1world Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    tlflag1620 wrote: »
    Lots of people who were born on third base think they hit a triple :D.

Can I use this line?
  • walker1world
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    Yep, this is one of the things I absolutely hate about the main forums. It has improved over the past couple years, but there is still this hard-headed, closed-minded assumption by so many active users that CICO is simple, infallible, and works universally for everybody.

These users just think... if you aren't losing weight, just eat less and exercise more. I know from personal experience it doesn't work that way. If your experiences show that CICO is not that simple, they will argue with your experience. They will argue they are lying on your food diary or that you are over-reporting exercise (even if your only exercise is from your Fitbit, which a new study from Japan now has shown under-estimate actual calories out, though by a small amount that is likely the CO while showering and charging when Fitbit isn't being worn). If you are doing everything right and not seeing results (i.e. CICO isn't working), there is an incredible wave of vitriol from members who are fit (some of which always were fit).

I never had a 42 inch waist, but I'm fairly short and was at a 38 inch waist at my heaviest. I realize my 60 lbs. overweight was very little compared to some. And I get the sense from the forums that weight loss is really easy for most people. But I know for sure that it is not that simple for everybody.

<mod hat>

Sorry, but discussion about the main MFP forums is strictly forbidden, per community/group rules. As far as this group is concerned, the main forums do not exist.

This is this thread's first and only warning. If it comes up again, we'll be forced to close it (and I don't really want to do that, because the rest of the discussion is good).

Thanks guys.

</mod hat>

Did I read this right? You can't mention the "main forums" or you will delete the thread? I don't even know what is meant by the term.
  • walker1world
    Options
    Cryren8972 wrote: »
    Yep, this is one of the things I absolutely hate about the main forums. It has improved over the past couple years, but there is still this hard-headed, closed-minded assumption by so many active users that CICO is simple, infallible, and works universally for everybody.

These users just think... if you aren't losing weight, just eat less and exercise more. I know from personal experience it doesn't work that way. If your experiences show that CICO is not that simple, they will argue with your experience. They will argue they are lying on your food diary or that you are over-reporting exercise (even if your only exercise is from your Fitbit, which a new study from Japan now has shown under-estimate actual calories out, though by a small amount that is likely the CO while showering and charging when Fitbit isn't being worn). If you are doing everything right and not seeing results (i.e. CICO isn't working), there is an incredible wave of vitriol from members who are fit (some of which always were fit).

I never had a 42 inch waist, but I'm fairly short and was at a 38 inch waist at my heaviest. I realize my 60 lbs. overweight was very little compared to some. And I get the sense from the forums that weight loss is really easy for most people. But I know for sure that it is not that simple for everybody.

It certainly wasn't for me. I've just started, but I'm hoping THIS works. I've tried eating "clean", I've counted calories, weighed and measured food, and couldn't lose weight on 1200-1500 calories a day. I was so concerned about it, I went to the doctor, and they checked my thyroid, which is a LITTLE sluggish, but still within normal range. The doctor just shrugged and said that either I was under counting my calories, or I needed to eat more calories to lose weight. I assured him that eating more calories would be a disaster.
    The only way I was able to lose weight is on a VERY low calorie diet of 600-900 a day, and that just wasn't sustainable for me. I did manage to do it right before I met my husband, but a normal day for me was Breakfast: one apple Lunch: low cal soup and 100 calorie popcorn Dinner: Tuna over a salad with a small amount of dressing. That was a 600 calorie day, and I had been doing this for over a year. I was a size 8....but I still weighed 160 lbs. I'm 5'4.
    I'd give anything to weigh 160 lbs now.
    I'm reeeeaaallllllyyyyy hoping this works.
    So far I've dropped 7 lbs in less than a week. =)

Congratulations on your weight loss. What kind of diet are doing?
  • Cryren8972
    Cryren8972 Posts: 142 Member
    Options

It certainly wasn't for me. I've just started, but I'm hoping THIS works. I've tried eating "clean", I've counted calories, weighed and measured food, and couldn't lose weight on 1200-1500 calories a day. I was so concerned about it, I went to the doctor, and they checked my thyroid, which is a LITTLE sluggish, but still within normal range. The doctor just shrugged and said that either I was under counting my calories, or I needed to eat more calories to lose weight. I assured him that eating more calories would be a disaster.
    The only way I was able to lose weight is on a VERY low calorie diet of 600-900 a day, and that just wasn't sustainable for me. I did manage to do it right before I met my husband, but a normal day for me was Breakfast: one apple Lunch: low cal soup and 100 calorie popcorn Dinner: Tuna over a salad with a small amount of dressing. That was a 600 calorie day, and I had been doing this for over a year. I was a size 8....but I still weighed 160 lbs. I'm 5'4.

LCHF at the moment. I may tweak it before it's over with. lol
  • walker1world
    Options

I ubderstand, for me low carb has been a journey. I went from atkins, to LCHF, now I am Keto. I anticipate that when I get to 165 I will do paleo to maintain.
  • Cryren8972
    Cryren8972 Posts: 142 Member
    Options

I ubderstand, for me low carb has been a journey. I went from atkins, to LCHF, now I am Keto. I anticipate that when I get to 165 I will do paleo to maintain.

What is the difference between LCHF and Keto?
    From my understanding, they're both low carb high fat, right?
    The reason I ask, is because I joined a Facebook page called Ketogenic Diet...but when I mentioned high fat, they said they didn't recommend that there, and to read their pinned post.
    There...they had a lot of conflicting information. They said they weren't LCHF, but the pdf they had you use, specifically said LCHF.
    So I'm a tad confused as to the difference.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options

The reason I ask, is because I joined a Facebook page called Ketogenic Diet...but when I mentioned high fat, they said they didn't recommend that there, and to read their pinned post.
    There...they had a lot of conflicting information. They said they weren't LCHF, but the pdf they had you use, specifically said LCHF.

I would leave that group ASAP. I don't know what they're doing.
    Lchf is basically anything below 150g carbs and replacing those carbs with fat.
    Keto is basically anything below 50g carbs (or whatever it takes to maintain the metabolic state of ketosis) and replacing those carbs with fat.

They're likely doing low carb high protein, but many of those fb groups are not worth the time.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options

Keto is basically anything below 50g carbs (or whatever it takes to maintain the metabolic state of ketosis) and replacing those carbs with fat.

They're likely doing low carb high protein, but many of those fb groups are not worth the time.

Probably but they're calling it LCHF and Keto, which isn't what low carb high protein is.
    So I feel like their are likely a lot of misinformed, confused people on there.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options

Probably but they're calling it LCHF and Keto, which isn't what low carb high protein is.
    So I feel like their are likely a lot of misinformed, confused people on there.

There exactly why I say they aren't worth the time. Many don't actually know what they are talking about and it's their group they set the rules so there is no way to have an educated discussion because they will kick you out for not following the rules. I believe there are probably some good groups out there.
  • monikker
    monikker Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Clinton's thing was the Big Mac :D
  • walker1world
    Options

I agree the 2 are very similar and any one that is bothered by mentioning the 2 in the sane breath should get a life. I listen to Keto Talk podcast every week. This program hosted by Jimmy moore from living la vida low carb. So even the experts get them confused. Lol

Keto tries to stay in Ketosis permanently where low carb high fat has a different goal. I think they end up in the same place. I don't think you were confused, that person is trying to dance between raindrops.
  • walker1world
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »
    I've never had to lose more than 20 pounds, but I have kept it off for about 20 years, and that's something. I think it's possible for skinny people who are aware of their own eating habits to give good advice. Just saying "I've never had a problem," without understanding and explaining how that is, isn't helpful, and insulting people who are overweight is worse.

I hope you know my title was a little tongue and cheek. The point I really was trying to make was most people who have never had a real weight problem by into the calories in calories out, Thry have very little sympathy for people that have to much weight. They mostly believe fat people are just not active enough.

I know a woman that tried to start working out with her coworkers they were 25 year old lady but my friend was in her 40s and had a lot of extra weight. After a few weeks her knees started hurting. Come to find out she blew her knee out. Not saying it was the younger women's fault but I am sure the peer pressure made her push her self when she shouldn't.
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Walker-- another reason thin people look down on heavier is they hear the 'excuses' used...from people who aren't trying, but give lip service to some diet, who aren't serious in educating themselves on nutrition, or talk about need to eat 'cheat' meals, or listing reasons they 'can't'...so of course it is assumed all overweight are the same, behave the same.

We humans tend to simplify others by our experience...since 99% of people who lose weight regain it, it is hard to meet those who lost and stayed thinner. Fortunately there ARE more LC'ers who are successful losing a great deal of weight, and so eventually the success of this method will show.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I'm in a weird situation where I've battled my weight most of my adult life, but my highest non-pregnant weight was about 161 lbs (I'm 5'7); size 14. I developed pre-diabetes though, several years ago, at 150 lbs and had to lose about 10% of my body weight on a LC diet to reverse it. I'm currently a size 8 and I sometimes feel awkward/unconscious talking to people about weight loss stuff but I've had to battle a lot and work very hard to lose ... and re-lose, and re-lose, and re-lose, the weight that comes on so easily when I'm not super careful and low-carb. I do try to avoid giving unsolicited advice though!
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Oh and CICO by itself really didn't work for me at all. I had to change my macros.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    tlflag1620 wrote: »
    Lots of people who were born on third base think they hit a triple :D.

Can I use this line?

Be my guest. I modified it from something Tom (fat head) Naughton often says - "many people were born on the finish line and think they won the race". I'm not a runner, but I love baseball, so I changed it a bit ;). Same idea.