Options

Replies

• seehe
    seehe Posts: 946 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Milove- hope you had fun at your retreat and wedding- I agree that it's just too hard and not worth it to try to log for such events!

SuzyQ- Ouch on the knee surgery!!! Hope physical therapy does wonders for you and that you can get off your pain meds soon.

So I set my ticker back today to start all over, and was surprised to see that my health and weight journey began 4 years ago this June- I thought it was like two or three years. Where does the time go? Anyway, I also logged today for the first time in ages, and decided to continue to do so for the weekdays. I suspect I have been eating more calories than I thought, so I will be interested to see.

Hope everyone has a great rest of the week!

~Susan
  • Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,447 Member
    Options
    Hi ho Hatters!

FINALLY finished dayshift, will be back in a few to catch up on reading and posting, but I came across a quick article this morning that was an interesting read.. i'll post the link to it "5 reasons why diets fail".. we already know this stuff of course but I found #1 pretty interesting!!

1. We think dieting has to be painful. "The past 60 to 80 years of modern day dieting has been predicated upon the notion that dieting success is about suffering," says Dr. Freedhoff. "It suggests that people struggling with their weight don't deserve to eat like normal people or use food for comfort and celebration. Instead they're only supposed to use food for fuel and shut off the other normal uses. This doesn't work."

here's the link to the other 4 :)

http://www.everythingzoomer.com/top-five-reasons-diets-fail/2/
  • seehe
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Snooozie- so true! Thanks for sharing such a good reminder ! And yay you for finishing day shift :)
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Sorry I didn't make it back yesterday; I ended up sleeping almost the full day and night - it was a LONG 7 days of 4am get ups, and chose to do a few social events in the evenings with friends - and don't regret the lack of sleep at all to be honest LOL.. got some last minute tickets to a Dixie chicks concert here with my 2 best friends; some patio time and a bbq; things I rarely do when my bedtime is 8pm on that shift, but I've recently decided time and friends are gifts that should not be wasted, so i'm saying "yes" more often to those moments; part of the whole "change is good' package i'm after right now; physically, mentally, etc!

We all seem to be experiencing a lot of frustration with losing weight and the accompanying goals whether it be logging, better eating, etc.. and I have to say it's good to know you aren't alone sometimes!! While I realize the whole you're not a special snowflake idea is rampant on these boards, I absolutely believe it's a lot harder as you age to get the weight off... I'm not sure why (other than the OBVIOUS i'm eating more than I should) but even when I've been trying it's not moving like it did a few years ago when I came here.

So... time to suck it up for me and figure out what WILL work, and DO IT. I have literally and figuratively been "feeding" my frustration and emotional anger at not losing and falling back into bad habits and a bad lifestyle, and bad justifications for everything. And not liking what seems to be starting over and over and over again. So as some od adage said, if you want to stop starting over, stop quitting. That's something I have to remember - like that picture I posted a while back - "i had a salad today, where's my summer body"? ha!! My problem is consistency for sure right now.. I eat well think atta girl and "reward" myself. or think I am. but right now I seem to be in a good place mentally so i'm gonna run with it. I'll start today, but tomorrow morning will weigh myself and update my settings to whatever it shows (I was out the door to the lake before I remembered to do that this morning lol).

Susan - how the hell have you NOT melted in those temps?? ack!! hang in there!! How did you goals of water and eating at home go for this pst week?

Milove - lovely to see you and awesome to hear you are in a good place!!!!!!!! I have no doubt you will soon be back to your settings and moving past it to what you want!!!

Suzy - how goes the recovery?? I think of you every time I go for physio now; finally started it for the shoulder injury; I was avoiding it for 2 reasons; one I was afraid it would bring on the god awful pain when it hits, and because I was trying to avoid the strength training my doc wants me to start lol But its nowhere near the stuff youre going thru - keep up the work and remember what youre working for - that fab hike you're looking forward to!

Patrice - hows it going with the meds now?? Are yu getting used to them?? Please let us know how youre doing..

Will be popping in more frequently as on days off then the lovely evening shift and then a few weeks vacation again... happy camper am I LOL...
  • PatriceMG
    PatriceMG Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies. So I've been on the metformin for about 3 weeks now. The nausea has diminished some, but I still feel like crap :( And after eating sometimes I have to get right to the bathroom which is not always convenient. Now I am pretty consistently having acid indigestion or acid reflux at night. Have to get up in the middle of the night and go downstairs to the lazy boy chair to sleep. That could be because we are not usually eating until 8pm... I don't know but it is no fun. I don't like to post negatives, but that is where I am right now. Not a happy camper. Started a week at the gym, yay! Then the last two weeks I haven't gone 'cuz I haven't made the time to get off work early enough. I am so frustrated right now. Sorry about being Debbie Downer but sheesh, I just can't shake it...
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Patrice - PM sent but know that all of us here can completey relate to the frustration you are feeling; and when you feel like crap in general its pretty damn hard to be positive so believe me, we get it! Am hping you can talk to your doc and maybe change the meds or the dose to alleviate some of the icky side effects, but cut yourself some slack for a little while; it's a lot to deal with finding out about the A1C, mentally and physically - but pat yourself on the back too for already making the decision to tackle it head on; you've started taking the meds AND joined the gym, it just happened to be bad timing with the emotional/physical moment youre having... which is ok... its just sometimes hard to pull ourselves out of those downers after a bit of time hanging out in that dark place. They are necessary moments IMO.. its just making sure we don't stay there too long that can be tough. So know that we can totally relate to what yu're going thru, and we are all here to offer a helping hand when you're ready... and to remind you you've already started making the changes girl... don't forget that!! Hugs
  • milove1029
    milove1029 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone! Patrice I sure did my share of verbalizing when I was so down. I am glad the nausea is a little better. A quick recovery to you Suzy!! Susan good for you in taking the leap to set your ticker back. I was hesitant because I loved looking at my past accomplishment, but I needed to reset my goals. Snoozie I am definitely the eater on the right when I do not log!! I am off and on logging hopefully this week more on then off. Have a great week everyone!!
  • suzyqholland
    suzyqholland Posts: 1,353 Member
    Options
    Patrice, I am so sorry you're going through this! How frustrating! I know if I get thrown off my eating routine or eat too late then I have terrible indigestion as well. On top of the new meds and everything? Ugh!!! I hope it gets better soon.

Snoozie I totally get where you're coming from about the eating...I've been having my own little pity party and have made some really bad justification choices myself. (Luckily?) I've been nauseous so I haven't completely blown it. I've gained a few pounds since the surgery but not as bad as I thought it would be. I forced myself to go back to the gym today. I can't do much but I did what I could and did my home exercises for my knee. It's a start. Now I've got to log and get my eating under control again. I'm going back to fasting two days a week this week.
  • Snooozie
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Milove - it took me about 20 minutes to decide whether to reset my ticker this morning lol.. I just didn't want to admit I had gained even more. I first thought ill leave it where it is til I get back there.. but ultimately decided the same as you; what I did in the past has nothing to do with what I have to do now. Rock on with your goal of more logging this week!

Suzy - so glad to hear you are doing your home exercises and holy moly made it to the gym?? well done you!
    As you already know, I believe we are all entitled to the occasional pity party - just make sure you insist on presents when it's yours - we deserve em!! i'll bring flowers :)

53x3ea3k2x8o.jpg

:s

16434567.png
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options

Hello, to everyone!! Carol, Vailara, Milove, Snoozie, Suzy, Seehe!!

Good to see you are taking time to enjoy yourself, Snoozie . I know you enjoyed your time with your friends at the concert.

Seehe, glad to hear you are getting things back on track. Yes, time flies….I have been on here since Oct. 2011!

Hi, Milove! Good to hear from you! Hope things get settled for you! Any plans for visitors this summer? Lol

Suzy, So good to hear how well you are doing…Take care at the gym.

Patrice, Sorry to hear you are having to take Metformin. I am still trying after a year to find a way to conquer my metformin….so far so good…as far as the side effects. Fingers crossed it works out for you quicker than it has for me. Hubby has had acid indigestion every time he eats for years!! I had him try Prilosec…and he hasn’t had but 2 episodes in 2 months, so far….and that was BBQ and then onions on a burger… I hope you find something soon that helps!!

My update is still the same<
    Still bouncing around on the scale, but it is all my fault ,so no complaining here. I need to get it back together, though!!
    I WILL, I AM!!
  • cbmcphillips
    cbmcphillips Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies

Just a quick shout out to Snoozie Happy Canada Day
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    t9301.gif t9303.gif t9305.gif t9307.gif
  • cbmcphillips
    Options
    t9301.gif t9303.gif t9305.gif t9307.gif

Love it Gail
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Thanks for the birthday wishes for Canada ladies lol.... we're 149 years old and looking mighty fine for it!! hahaha
    anyone else having trubble posting on the main forum ?? my puter keeps freezing up when I try to type anything at all or click a like..... its only here so not sure if its my puter or the site... anyway I will pop in later at work and try it there......
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I am still reading this thread, but don't have much to say! I would love to say that I have some success to report, but ... no, lol!

Patrice, I have problems with heartburn/reflux on one of my medications - I'm also on another medication just for those symptoms and it works wonders. It's a pain having to be on an extra medication for life, but I feel better and I know it's helping protect my GI system. Maybe there's something you could have to help? I hope you get it sorted and feel better soon.

You know, it does make me feel better to read about you all bouncing around on scales (me too!) and resetting tickers ... I haven't had the heart to reset yet, but, it's reassuring that I'm not the only one finding it hard at the moment. I just posted this morning that I feel like I'm a different body to the one I originally lost weight in. This one seems to work differently, and I can't seem to control it - lol!
  • seehe
    Options
    Good morning! Just caught up on posts from you all Snoozie, Patrice, Gail , Milove, Vail, Suzy and Carol. Sorry I got behind with posting myself but some medical issues distracted me for awhile. I'm feeling better now , luckily, and ready to refocus. So this week I'm going to focus on
    1. Stay hydrated
    2. Log
    3. Stay within calorie range

Sounds simple right? If only it were lol. But here is to a successful week for all of us !
  • cbmcphillips
    Options
    Hi ladies

Hope you're ok Susan

Great job without the exercise everyone

I've got to get back on track

:/
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    That does sound simple, Susan! But of course, actually doing it is much harder than it sounds :). I'm sorry about the medical issus but glad you're feeling better.