• Leanbean65
    Leanbean65 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I do miss bread, I make a great sour dough bread :(
  • PamamaJane
    PamamaJane Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »

Like this keto-bonbon, perchance? (Using 90%-fat brie or cream cheese, of course.)

0988f0135528202a565de8e0ebb2cfb5.jpg

Someone please pinch me. I think I just died and went to heaven.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    PamamaJane wrote: »
    Someone please pinch me. I think I just died and went to heaven.

Let us know how it is (both the dish and heaven!).
  • Cryren8972
    Cryren8972 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    anglyn1 wrote: »
    The things I hate about LCHF aren't really so much about LCHF as reactions to it.

I hate ordering an iced coffee plain with ONLY coffee and cream and getting a syrupy sugar fest. Then when I take it back they can't wrap their heads around no sweeteners...at all. This usually happens at McDonald's and sometimes Starbucks. Dunkin always has my back! :) lol

I hate when people you never see eat veggies that aren't French fries suddenly become concerned about your veggie intake when they hear LCHF. Like their "normal" diet is full of veggies. I actually ate LESS before and the ones I ate where mostly starchy.

Now that I've been keto almost a year I get irrationally angry when I read "healthy living" articles about how important carbs are. I'm kind of the same way with the hundreds of articles about how it's a stupid fad to cut out gluten. Mainly because both types of articles talk about the essential vitamins you get from carbs and/or gluten! Have these people heard of fruits and veggies? You know where vitamins occur naturally and aren't stripped and added to back to your fluffy white bread? I have Celiac and have been without gluten for probably 7 years. How am I alive? lol

Not really a hate but it super amuses me when people are eating junk like donuts or store bought cakes and apologize to me because I can't eat it. I don't think they can believe that I really don't want it.

I've always been a proponent of veggies.
    I have a sister who's diabetic. I had a conversation with her where she proudly boasted that she had been eating her veggies.
    So I asked her...what veggies have you had today?
    She said "Well, today doesn't count so far, because I had to rush breakfast, so I picked up a biscuit on the way here" (we were at a baby shower, at 1:00 in the afternoon)
    I said, "Ok, fair enough...what veggies did you have yesterday"
    Her eyes lit up and she said "I had green beans with my KFC for dinner last night"

So her idea of eating her veggies was one serving of green beans in two days.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Somebody mentioned missing crispy salty things. I am making kale chips these days in my dehydrator. They are delicious. Also I can make jerky but am not completely happy with the results yet. It isn't chewy or leathery enough. I do like being able to control the ingredients, as some jerky has sugar added.

I miss black licorice. I know that's weird.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Somebody mentioned missing crispy salty things. I am making kale chips these days in my dehydrator. They are delicious. Also I can make jerky but am not completely happy with the results yet. It isn't chewy or leathery enough. I do like being able to control the ingredients, as some jerky has sugar added.

I miss black licorice. I know that's weird.

Honestly, it had been so many years since I had pork rinds, until about four days ago. I think I am so in love again, that I'll be fine on crunchy saltiness for a good bit. And when that finally wains? Back to ruled for some of his different chip recipes. I'm interested in trying a lot of those anyway, so it might be sooner than later.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Cryren8972 wrote: »
    I have a sister who's diabetic. I had a conversation with her where she proudly boasted that she had been eating her veggies.
    She said "Well, today doesn't count so far, because I had to rush breakfast, so I picked up a biscuit on the way here" (we were at a baby shower, at 1:00 in the afternoon)
    Her eyes lit up and she said "I had green beans with my KFC for dinner last night"

Good God. Does anyone in this forum have a diabetic sister who's NOT in total denial?

@RalfLott - For me, it's not a sister - but my mother and my aunt. And they both know better, but still believe it's "too hard" and they say, "it works for you, but nothing works for me," or "it's too many things to change at once!" not realizing that by changing all the things, you regain a control you probably haven't had in decades! (hugs) to all of us who just want to tease/dare them to try it for a week!!! Life changing, but just like you can't force someone to stop smoking or whatever, when they're up against that wall, when they're ready, YOU BE READY to engage with them to help... It's all we can do, right? Live by example, share without pressure, and be ready when they finally get there?
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Also, regarding salty and crispy -- roasted chicken skin!

https://sarahfragoso.com/easy-and-amazing-roast-chicken/
  • RalfLott
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

Good God. Does anyone in this forum have a diabetic sister who's NOT in total denial?

@RalfLott - For me, it's not a sister - but my mother and my aunt. And they both know better, but still believe it's "too hard" and they say, "it works for you, but nothing works for me," or "it's too many things to change at once!" not realizing that by changing all the things, you regain a control you probably haven't had in decades! (hugs) to all of us who just want to tease/dare them to try it for a week!!! Life changing, but just like you can't force someone to stop smoking or whatever, when they're up against that wall, when they're ready, YOU BE READY to engage with them to help... It's all we can do, right? Live by example, share without pressure, and be ready when they finally get there?

Well, it's a mystery, huh.

You and I have no problem passing the broom closet and not guzzling an open bottle of Drano, but noooooo.... Diabetic sisters (mothers, aunts, spouses, evil twins, etc.) can't walk through a grocery store without veering down the HAZMAT aisle and having a family-size box of Twinkies leap into their carts and then their mouths the instant they leave the store.....

(So whose is the alternate universe....?)
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options

You and I have no problem passing the broom closet and not guzzling an open bottle of Drano, but noooooo.... Diabetic sisters (mothers, aunts, spouses, evil twins, etc.) can't walk through a grocery store without veering down the HAZMAT aisle and having a family-size box of Twinkies leap into their carts and then their mouths the instant they leave the store.....

What kills me the most, honestly, is that they all go on about my willpower and strength.

I keep trying to tell them I HAVE NONE. Everything in your life changes when you break the hold carbs hold over your sanity. I was an addict of a ridiculous nature. No one saw it - or not enough to say anything, and I still relapse. But it's not about strength. It's about making a decision, jumping off the deep end, and having faith to TRY something...

And with my aunt, it made me so sad (I wanted to cry), the last time she posted a pic on FB about her "haul" from the grocery store (months ago), she must have been in a blood sugar low, because she had not one box of Twinkies, but sincerely about 10-20 packages of sweets, treats, bread, and all the things she knows she needs to cut out - "but she can do it in stages and only have a little each day." MY LEFT FOOT!
  • RalfLott
    Options

What kills me the most, honestly, is that they all go on about my willpower and strength.

I keep trying to tell them I HAVE NONE. Everything in your life changes when you break the hold carbs hold over your sanity. I was an addict of a ridiculous nature. No one saw it - or not enough to say anything, and I still relapse. But it's not about strength. It's about making a decision, jumping off the deep end, and having faith to TRY something...

And with my aunt, it made me so sad (I wanted to cry), the last time she posted a pic on FB about her "haul" from the grocery store (months ago), she must have been in a blood sugar low, because she had not one box of Twinkies, but sincerely about 10-20 packages of sweets, treats, bread, and all the things she knows she needs to cut out - "but she can do it in stages and only have a little each day." MY LEFT FOOT!

Ulp! Sorry I hit on the Twinkies :s
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @RalfLott No worries there. Twinkies are not a tempting food for me at all. I don't know why, as I used to love them! LOL To me, they are a non-food now. I don't have many trigger foods that talking about them will make me want to go and eat them all just by thinking about them. Maybe bacon. LOL Now, put bad things in front of me when I'm already in a weak and vulnerable place? I might have to roll the dice that I develop some willpower, at least long enough to distract myself. ;)
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    Also, regarding salty and crispy -- roasted chicken skin!

https://sarahfragoso.com/easy-and-amazing-roast-chicken/

Love that!
  • JTyler2016
    JTyler2016 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Leanbean65 wrote: »
    Can I get the recipe for those?

Sure thing, sorry it took me so long to respond!

Simple Cream Cheese Pancake Recipe

They're delicious!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    JTyler2016 wrote: »
    Leanbean65 wrote: »
    Can I get the recipe for those?

Sure thing, sorry it took me so long to respond!

Simple Cream Cheese Pancake Recipe

They're delicious!

I kinda like the look of that, but feel like the sugar sub doesn't even need to be there. Just personal taste, but I can't imagine it helps anything structurally, and I'd prefer my pancakes a bit less sweet than I've ever had them anyway.
  • JTyler2016
    JTyler2016 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I kinda like the look of that, but feel like the sugar sub doesn't even need to be there. Just personal taste, but I can't imagine it helps anything structurally, and I'd prefer my pancakes a bit less sweet than I've ever had them anyway.

I often don't use any sugar sub either, and they turns out just fine, sometimes I'll add a little flax to make them fluffier or SF vanilla extract to add a natural sweet instead.