Skinny people shouldn't give fat people weight loss advice.

Options

Replies

• walker1world
    walker1world Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I've only been doing low carb for a couple of weeks, but for the first time I don't have cravings and find it easy to keep within my calorie goal.

I'm not doing LCHF though, just low carb without worrying about fat. So far this is going well, and I can try LCHF at some point if things stop working. I have a few things I can adjust if need be within the realm of low carb, but I definitely think keeping away from grains and sugars is the way for me. It just isn't as simple as CICO for me. If the CI are accompanied by foods that make me hungry, I will keep on CI-ing.

Wow I love your energy, you really sound as though you have found something that works for you. Thanks for sharing. What books have you read? In my experience reading a few books about how keto or low carb works helped me understand how the body worked so I could make adjustments when I hit a plateau.

I have seen a few people hit that wall and not have the full understanding of the biochemical path ways that stall ketosis and give up on the low carb thing. I have seen a few people try to do low carb low fat and when they hit gluconeogenesis they don't understand what to do next.

Reading books like the art of low carb living and Genocide really helped me learn how to manipulate my ketosis.

Good luck with your journey.
  • walker1world
    Options
    LINIA wrote: »
    @midwesterner85

Yea, i'd kinda go with the suggestions from @KnitOrMiss:
    1. increase the healthy fats , eat one avocado everyday and put Kerry Gold butter on your vegetables and on top of the less fat cuts of meat, don't forget olive oil..add it to foods as well.

2. Be sure you are getting enough salt,try the pink Himalayan salt, very pure.

btw--i have nut allergies and coconut allergies so no MCT or almonds,cashews etc..and i still get plenty of of the HF part of our WOE.

If you want to open your diary for a couple of hours, we could maybe take a look.

You are good, I couldn't live with out cocnut and almonds lol.
  • walker1world
    Options
    hqzl0scvgz0c.png

No illusion here. Just the real deal. Fast acting carbs, etc are unimportant if you are putting too much food into your mouth in the first place.

Your assumption is that all the calories you eat has the same effect on the body. I will agree that if you put more in you have to get more out. That is thermo dynamics.

If I eat 5000 calories of fiber, just fiber it will not add weight. Why because the body dosent process fiber. So if I eat 1200 calories of donuts, I will gain weight.

I contend that certain foods trigger leptin so you stop eating before you eat to much other foods trigger Ghrelin that makes you eat more.

We are slaves to or hormomes what foods are triggering these hormomes?

This is the straight up truth for me.

Food types and timing matter

I can eat 150 grams of carbs during an endurance exercise and stay deep in my keto state.

Seeing food apart from activity is an incomplete look at things

On this ride I took in almost 300 grams of carbs and still lost weight

[/quote]

That is impressive. Have you watched cereal killers 2? There is apart about the couple that rowed from San Francisco to Hawaii eat only fat. DR. Voleck would say you will be able to accomplish a similar feet only using fat for fuel.

Either way it is very impressive so why are you on this site?
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    It is wonderful Walker that you are contributing what is working for you, I understand that you are learning as you go and sharing with us here on this site and I thank you for your communication, support and sharing!

@Working2BLean

Please keep in mind that not everyone here is overweight, I have never been overweight or fat, there is even a section of this website for ppl who are needing to gain. We all are in the struggle. :):):)
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    A note about gastric bypass surgery: Bypass surgery for TEENAGERS is an increasingly popular elective procedure. IMO, any doctor performing this procedure on a teenager should have his/her license reviewed, if not suspended. The number of teenagers who genuinely need this has to be miniscule. The rest need education and intervention (and better parents, but that's another discussion.)

How greedy can the medical profession get before someone calls a halt?
  • walker1world
    Options
    A note about gastric bypass surgery: Bypass surgery for TEENAGERS is an increasingly popular elective procedure. IMO, any doctor performing this procedure on a teenager should have his/her license reviewed, if not suspended. The number of teenagers who genuinely need this has to be miniscule. The rest need education and intervention (and better parents, but that's another discussion.)

How greedy can the medical profession get before someone calls a halt?

As much as I hate the thought of a teenager going under the knife, I think that is an individual dessiscion between the teenager the parents and the doctors.

I personal think they should exhaust every other means before they do this. I think the big brother top down blanket solution approach is what got us here in the first place . You know the government guide lines and all that stuff? So making a blanket call on all of any situation is probably not the way to go.

I don't think greed is the motive for people treating the symptoms of obesity. I don't even think greed is the motive of food companies. Just like it is not laziness is what made us fat. It comes down to people right to chose.
  • LINIA
    Options
    Excellent @mandycat223 that you have focused on this issue, i've never before thought about teens & gastric bypass.
    Actually have probably seen teens in Malls or at Amusement parks who weight 400 pounds or more.
    Read (sorry no source) that it is very difficult for people to lose 100 to 200 pounds, just about impossible. Yes, i know here on MFP, we are constantly meeting/seeing ppl who do drop those huge numbers, really the size of another person--so we know it can be done. However IRL, that's rare---maintenance and compliance all but impossible.

The very overweight teen is teased to the point that many of them have to be removed from the classroom and then they enter a home school sitaution to obtain a HS diploma.
    In addition often the teen can't control what foods are available within the home.

So, not really sure----the overweight/grossly obese teen is in his own category and probably faces a myriad of issues--just not sure if authorities should "deny" that teen/him or her the tool that Gastric Bypass or the Sleeve or Roux N y surgery can be.
  • KetoTheKingdom
    KetoTheKingdom Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I contend that certain foods trigger leptin so you stop eating before you eat to much other foods trigger Ghrelin that makes you eat more.

No, all other things being equal, ghrelin tends to make you hungry. You make you eat more.
    We are slaves to or hormomes what foods are triggering these hormomes?

There is much grey in the areas of nutrition, hormones, and behavior, including hormonal interactions. Asking whether a single hormone is on or off is barely scratching the surface.
  • kmn118
    kmn118 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I have always had a weight problem. My mother had my thyroid tested when I was in 2nd grade because I was very active and ate exactly what my very slim brothers ate. It should be noted that my older brother and I were both adopted and so, as siblings, we didn't share genes. The thyroid test came back normal so she began watching every morsel I ate, cooked me low calorie everything, including sending sugar free candy to camp so that my canteen privileges weren't going to make me fat. I wasn't considered obese at 150 lbs at age 16, and I was pretty well muscled. Still, the lowest weight I ever achieved was 130 lbs for about a month, in my 20s, through starvation and exercise.

I think that if the bariatric surgery was an option back in the late 60s and early 70s, my mom would have jumped on it with both feet. She HATED that i was overweight and made me hate myself too.
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    ...my great grandparents cooked with lard and Animal fat. Both my great grand parents lived into thier late 80s early 90s. They lived most of thier lives living of food they grew and raised. Of course thier kids wanted nothing to do with that life they moved to the city. And so the story goes.

Exactly...but really, some bad scientists had an agenda, plus the government told people to stay hush about low carb ways being healthier, because they were sitting on a pot of gold(en) wheat! Cue the Fat Free brigade and the Heart-healthy Grains parade!

• bjwoodzy
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    bjwoodzy wrote: »
    ....this is all covered in both Fat Head and The Dorito Effect, as probably most know.

I just got around to listening to the first couple (free) chapters of The Dorito Effect - that is GD mouthful of shirt to swallow! Yecccchhhh.

Yes, but it's fascinating, you have to admit.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    ....this is all covered in both Fat Head and The Dorito Effect, as probably most know.

I just got around to listening to the first couple (free) chapters of The Dorito Effect - that is GD mouthful of shirt to swallow! Yecccchhhh.

Yes, but it's fascinating, you have to admit.

Uh.... yep. Almost as addictive as the eponymous Tang-colored uberjunkfood itself.
  • walker1world
    Options
    kmn118 wrote: »
    I have always had a weight problem. My mother had my thyroid tested when I was in 2nd grade because I was very active and ate exactly what my very slim brothers ate. It should be noted that my older brother and I were both adopted and so, as siblings, we didn't share genes. The thyroid test came back normal so she began watching every morsel I ate, cooked me low calorie everything, including sending sugar free candy to camp so that my canteen privileges weren't going to make me fat. I wasn't considered obese at 150 lbs at age 16, and I was pretty well muscled. Still, the lowest weight I ever achieved was 130 lbs for about a month, in my 20s, through starvation and exercise.

I think that if the bariatric surgery was an option back in the late 60s and early 70s, my mom would have jumped on it with both feet. She HATED that i was overweight and made me hate myself too.

Reading this really struck a cord with me. As a parent I worry about what messages I send my children. I try to do the best I can as a parent. I wish I had a crystal ball to see how everything turns out in the long run.

I hope that you come to grips with your childhood. It is the foundation of your life but we can build on it and make our lives better.
  • LINIA
    Options
    @kmn118
    It is hard to understand but there was a mentality of no PC, people were not accepting of fat, homosexuals, different races, different religions, so your Mom was typical of her generation. Things were not like they are now n 2016.
    It sounds like you are on the right track, good luck to you as you look forward.
  • bjwoodzy
    Options

Wow, that's messed up. I'm so sorry.

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options

@kmn118 I wish my mother and I had both been more motivated back then. I'll be 40 in a few days, and my mom is 63, and neither of us are in great health, though I'm fighting back more than she is able to do at this point... If there were any freaking clue at all the issues that run in our family (we have genetic PCOS, IR, hypothyroidism, and all that crap that comes with it, back as far as we can track, which is 3 or so generations), we might have been equipped with tools to fight back.

My siblings and I all shared the same mother and father. It is me (C), my sis H, my bro R, and my youngest bro D. So my mom, C, and R, we all shared very similar genetics. R was almost 6 years younger, yet we could have passed for twins once he was about 13 or so. H & D looked more like my aunt, A. It was often said that my mom, R, and I got the Polish/Greek genetics - and that A, H, & D got the more German-ish side of the genetics. Whatever it is, my siblings had a far easier time food/weight wise than R & I did... It was crazy.

I learned a massive dislike for myself growing up, as well (more from classmates and my father - and not from my mother - I actually remember my dad refusing to buy a larger size clothing for me as a teen because it was too fat so my gifts didn't fit me - he used to do this with my brothers and shoes and crap, too - I'm glad he mellowed as a grandpa so I don't have to kick his butt over giving my kiddo and nieces issues) , and didn't actually come to terms with liking myself until I was at my heaviest, and I actually have my ex to thank for it, because he basically told me I was too fat, he wasn't attracted to me anymore, and he wanted a divorce, yada yada. It was then when I finally had to decide if I was worth fighting for...and obviously I did, though it's still a battle some days.

I'm so sorry that your mom's concern for your overall health (by judging your appearance) and her misguided attempts to help you made you hate yourself... I can only hope that you're healing well from this, as you definitely seem stronger in your posts. (HUGS) I just wanted to share with you that you are not alone...and that if you need to vent, complain, or find better coping tools, we're all here... I'm always surprised at the things that someone else has done or "just figured out" that I would have never thought of in a million years. Researched and implemented myself and become utterly LIFECHANGING....