Keto - major TMI help

Options

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    FYI, coffee actually has a ton of potassium, so between that and the fact that it's rarely actually on labels, like Knit said, it's very unlikely that you're actually deficient.

Since you are on Metformin, odds are very good that's your primary culprit. You'll want to play around with the timing of taking it and your meals, as well as the composition of the meals closest to taking the Metformin.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    bjwoodzy wrote: »
    Oy. Now I'm overwhelmed with wtf it could be. I'm going to try seeing if cutting back on my caffeine to just the two cups in the morning will help, to start. Then up my potassium intake (it's really low). I already eat a lot of veg, so it's not that...it could be the diving head-first into a lot of fat intake, perhaps even the fact I'm on Metformin (which I will not quit just yet, I've already cut out insulin). I don't think I can tolerate loosey goosey bathroom time for much longer.

Tuches ofin tish...... +Caffeine +Metformin +Coconut Oil -Imodium = fakakta drek!

Dragonwolf wrote: »
    Since you are on Metformin, odds are very good that's your primary culprit. You'll want to play around with the timing of taking it and your meals, as well as the composition of the meals closest to taking the Metformin.

Yep.

2 things that worked for me for metformin syndrome:

1. Take an imodium before, and the Metformin toward the very end, of a meal;
    2. Switch from generic Metformin to name-brand Glucophage XR.

A double benefit here - Glucophage is not only easier on your guts than some of the generics, but it is also more potent and therefore can be taken in lower quantities.

This pearl is from Dr. Bernstein, who frequently emphasizes the superiority of Glucophage over some of the generics in his monthly teleseminars, and he says in his book:
    Sold generically and under the brand name Glucophage,
    this ISA is one of the most effective that we have. Rather than increasing
    insulin production and "burning out" pancreatic beta cells, it increases
    the body's sensitivity to its own or injected insulin.

In my experience, not all generic metformins match the efficacy of the original or
    extended-release Glucophage.
    [Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution, Glossary, p 488]

Here's his most recent teleseminar (June 2016). His discussion of Metformin starts around 2:00:

https://youtu.be/-FxhAvSyRPg
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies that I missed until now - my brain is too tired right now to do quoting and proper responding (only because it's after 11 and I've done a lot today) so I'll just say I've read through all the suggestions and will consider everything. Thanks again
  • bjwoodzy
    Options
    @jasperdog52554 - I hope you're still doing better!

I know I said I eat a lot of cheese, but I guess I think of "a lot of cheese" as maybe 2-3 oz per day, max. And honestly, my family history tends to fall on the side of more icky-tummy reaction to dairy, so I was nervous to try adding more dairy (my mom got more sensitive to it as she got older, but it was milk products, not cheese).

Turns out, amping up my cheese consumption the past few days or so has helped a lot in decreasing the Souper Happy Fun Bathroom Time - I've only been loosey goosey about half the time, since - My history with sensitivity to dairy has typically revolved around issues with ice cream/ice milk, and milk...not cheese. So I'm glad to report this. However, I've still got some fiber capsules on order with Amazon coming soon, just to be on the safe side (they're the kind that add bulk as well).
  • bjwoodzy
    Options
    I was thinking it was the other way around, you should take us to dinner for reading so much about your poo.

( ._.)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    My bathroom issues are still um, faster than they ever used to be. Before I went LCHF I mean. I don't know if my experiences are relevant though because I am a celiac and have always had issues of things being too slow.

My input for the list:

13. (Are we at 13?) Sodium issues. When my sodium is low or too high, it seems to mess with me.

14. Fibre. Fibre slows things waaaay down for me. If I can skip fibre, BMs are much looser. Fibre is like a super hero that helps some but I see him as a problem. It's my batman.

15. Lack of dairy. Cheese is my BM parking brake. If I skip dairy for a few days, I get bathroom speeding tickets.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    I feel like you guys need to all take us out to dinner now that you know so much about our poos.

I was thinking it was the other way around, you should take us to dinner for reading so much about your poo.

Was that really necessary? The title is TMI. If you don't want to read about TMI topics, save yourself a click and skip it next time.
    No need to say things that might make the OP feel bad. We're here to support and help.

I should be taken to dinner for having to put on my mod hat today.
    So remember dem Community guidelines... blah... blah.... no insulting posts.
    We all got it? Yes. Ok then. I'm going to finish my coffee in peace.
  • bjwoodzy
    Options
    Ha ha - I took it in stride, Mod, even with the sad (being silly) reaction face I made, it's all good :) I get where you're coming from, but I'm hard to offend. Can't speak for others, but I'm VERY jokey. So I'll take the hit for this one, it's easy to encourage me once I get going.
  • jasperdog52554
    jasperdog52554 Posts: 115 Member
    Options

I know I said I eat a lot of cheese, but I guess I think of "a lot of cheese" as maybe 2-3 oz per day, max. And honestly, my family history tends to fall on the side of more icky-tummy reaction to dairy, so I was nervous to try adding more dairy (my mom got more sensitive to it as she got older, but it was milk products, not cheese).

Turns out, amping up my cheese consumption the past few days or so has helped a lot in decreasing the Souper Happy Fun Bathroom Time - I've only been loosey goosey about half the time, since - My history with sensitivity to dairy has typically revolved around issues with ice cream/ice milk, and milk...not cheese. So I'm glad to report this. However, I've still got some fiber capsules on order with Amazon coming soon, just to be on the safe side (they're the kind that add bulk as well).

@ bjwoodzy I am still doing better. Thanks for asking <3 I have the same issues with milk and ice cream as you. Though it causes mostly gas for me. I was eating near zero carb to begin with, so upping carbs from cheese and adding veggies has definitely seemed to help. Though, I do miss the zero gas on very low carb. Veggies of any sort seem to affect me that way.
  • NonnaTurtle
    NonnaTurtle Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    @WBB55 I am a keto newbie and also ran to the bathroom after a 40g fat meal but didnt realize why. Thanks for the info (makes sense to me). I would be interested to hear any info you might have related to 'no gall bladder'. I am in the same boat and very recently learned about ox bile.
  • bjwoodzy
    Options
    @ bjwoodzy I am still doing better. Thanks for asking <3 I have the same issues with milk and ice cream as you. Though it causes mostly gas for me. I was eating near zero carb to begin with, so upping carbs from cheese and adding veggies has definitely seemed to help. Though, I do miss the zero gas on very low carb. Veggies of any sort seem to affect me that way.

Oh, I'm so glad to hear you're doing better!
  • bjwoodzy
    Options
    @WBB55 my sister is going to have hers removed soon, and I know the doc said it means she may have a greasier stool because of it. I don't have much more info on it, though, but keeping this topic on board - someone may pop in with advice on keto diet without a gallbladder.

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    dtm2015 wrote: »
    @WBB55 I am a keto newbie and also ran to the bathroom after a 40g fat meal but didnt realize why. Thanks for the info (makes sense to me). I would be interested to hear any info you might have related to 'no gall bladder'. I am in the same boat and very recently learned about ox bile.

There is a section in this link that has multiple gall bladder discussions
    I think it's under the title Navigating LCHF without a gall bladder
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10103966/start-here-the-lcd-launch-pad#latest
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options

Glad to hear upping cheese helped! This kind of discussion is important cause you never know who else might be feeling the same way and is too afraid to ask. Also, anyone who gets "offended" by these types of posts clearly doesn't have kids. Nothing phases me anymore.. and I think that goes for all moms. We've been through and seen it all. lmao!
  • Kemper915
    Kemper915 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if mentioning this is allowed... but I have added "Fiberwise" daily and it has completely regulated my system. Very gentle and doesn't taste bad. I use the sugar free so I don't stress about additional carbs. I highly recommend simply because it works for me! www.melaleuca.com/ekemprowski
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Kemper915 wrote: »
    I'm not sure if mentioning this is allowed... but I have added "Fiberwise" daily and it has completely regulated my system. Very gentle and doesn't taste bad. I use the sugar free so I don't stress about additional carbs. I highly recommend simply because it works for me! *********************

MFP Community Guidelines state:
    Additional Guidelines for the Main Forums

14. No Advertising, Self-Promotion, or Fund-Raising

a) You may not post any links or mentions of other services, websites, or businesses from which you or an associate might benefit financially or otherwise. This includes, but is not limited to; posts that contain links to offsite blog posts and social media. You also may not solicit off-Forum contact from which you might benefit, e.g. "message me for more info", “I can get you free samples”, etc.
    b) Requests or solicitations for donations are also not allowed. This includes requesting contributions to “pooled fund” competitions, requests for votes in any venue (online contests, etc.), and even requests for charitable contributions. As you can imagine, we have a lot of people who would like to raise money for worthy causes through the site. As much as we'd like to support these causes, if we were to allow requests for donations, the forums would quickly become full of such requests which would take away from the main purpose of the forums - to support one another.
    c) Posts or messages to members promoting websites that compete with MyFitnessPal are also prohibited.

You can mention a product, but not include a link to your personal selling site.
    Please remove the link, thanks.
  • Kemper915
    Options
    Oh, I'm sorry! I will gladly delete - I just don't know how!???
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    I feel like you guys need to all take us out to dinner now that you know so much about our poos.

Was that really necessary? The title is TMI. If you don't want to read about TMI topics, save yourself a click and skip it next time.
    No need to say things that might make the OP feel bad. We're here to support and help.

I should be taken to dinner for having to put on my mod hat today.
    So remember dem Community guidelines... blah... blah.... no insulting posts.
    We all got it? Yes. Ok then. I'm going to finish my coffee in peace.

I think you're jumping the gun on this one. I'm pretty certain it was meant to be a good-natured joke in response to the original "take us to dinner" line.
    Kemper915 wrote: »
    Oh, I'm sorry! I will gladly delete - I just don't know how!???

If you still can, there should be a gray gear in the upper right hand corner of that post when you mouse over it. You can click on the gear and it will pop up a little menu with "Edit" as one of the options.
  • Kemper915
    Options
    There isn't :( I will contact the moderator to ask to have it removed. Thanks again!