Schwaggggggg

Options

Replies

• Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    TheBigYin wrote: »
    oooh - snakeskin paintjob bike... now that's worthy of a photo, surely ??

Well, the colors match my bike. LOL I wish I had a cool snakeskin paint job!
  • KitTheRoadie
    KitTheRoadie Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I love my new Shimano RS80 wheelset, 100gms lighter than my Mavics and lovely climbers! :smile:

5d9sczj4f2td.jpg
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,122 Member
    Options
    cloggsy71 wrote: »
    narak_lol wrote: »
    How is the bike? How is the bike? Oh my god I hope it's unhurt!

The bike is suprisingly unscathed; scuffed bar tape, scuff on the left hand brake lever, scuff on the left hand pedal & that's about it... Front wheel has a very slight buckle, but not enough to worry about...

Your bike came out better than mine did last year when I crashed. My front wheel was majorly bent, and there are a bunch of major scratches. I on the other hand had a broken hand and some abrasions, no need to cut anything off me though.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,122 Member
    Options
    All I have gotten recently was a new pair of cycling shorts and a waterproof holder for my phone. I wondered if it was waterproof, but had my wondering answered when we were driving home with the bike on the truck bike rack and no water got in from driving through a major rainstorm. Since it worked at highway speeds in heavy rain it should work at cycling speeds if I get caught out in rain.
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options
    been a bit of an expensive week for me, considering I'm not really riding all that much compared to what I did before the heart problems. But, one thing that i've noticed was that due to the med's i'm on, pacing for training purposes using heart rate data is a tricky job - whereas using the powermeter on my "best bike" is far more reliable. Problem is, to use power on the 'cross bike meant swapping the stages crankarm onto the CaadX, switching pedals in the process - okay, only a 10 minute job, but if (as I am at the moment) i'm swapping over nearly every other day, its a) a complete PITA and b) a recipe for doing something stooooopid mechanically, either cross-threading the pedals or the clapming device, or stripping/overcranking the clamp bolts (yes, I do KNOW how to work on bikes, and YES, I am actually pretty competent, and YES, I do have all the proper tools inc. Torque Wrench et al. - but I'm a realist, and eventually the wear and tear on the clamp mechanism WILL take its toll.)

So, when 4iiii launched their "pre-fitted" option in the UK, at a price that undercut the Stages by a substantial amount, I decided to bite the bullet.

27038155662_d133293b00_o.jpg4iiii Precision power meter #Ultegra #Shimano #4iiii by The Big Yin, on Flickr
  • sigsigsputnik
    sigsigsputnik Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    hi, are you happy with the 4iii? i alsohave a stages and do not want to swap to the tt bike... so i may be in the market for a new pm.
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    bit early to say, I've only done 100km or so on it... but, it works okay, paired fine, configuration app was easy enough to use, and the numbers from today seem to pass a mk1 eyeball "sanity check"...

Ask me in another 3000km and some foul weather - shouldn't be hard enough to arrange that in Yorkshire...

• m1xm0d3
    m1xm0d3 Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options
    been a bit of an expensive week for me, considering I'm not really riding all that much compared to what I did before the heart problems. But, one thing that i've noticed was that due to the med's i'm on, pacing for training purposes using heart rate data is a tricky job - whereas using the powermeter on my "best bike" is far more reliable. Problem is, to use power on the 'cross bike meant swapping the stages crankarm onto the CaadX, switching pedals in the process - okay, only a 10 minute job, but if (as I am at the moment) i'm swapping over nearly every other day, its a) a complete PITA and b) a recipe for doing something stooooopid mechanically, either cross-threading the pedals or the clapming device, or stripping/overcranking the clamp bolts (yes, I do KNOW how to work on bikes, and YES, I am actually pretty competent, and YES, I do have all the proper tools inc. Torque Wrench et al. - but I'm a realist, and eventually the wear and tear on the clamp mechanism WILL take its toll.)

So, when 4iiii launched their "pre-fitted" option in the UK, at a price that undercut the Stages by a substantial amount, I decided to bite the bullet.

27038155662_d133293b00_o.jpg4iiii Precision power meter #Ultegra #Shimano #4iiii by The Big Yin, on Flickr
    hi, are you happy with the 4iii? i alsohave a stages and do not want to swap to the tt bike... so i may be in the market for a new pm.

My buddy has a 4iii on his TT bike and he loves it. No complaints.
  • TheBigYin
    edited May 2016
    Options
    m1xm0d3 wrote: »

My buddy has a 4iii on his TT bike and he loves it. No complaints.

Only thing being, they've pretty much swapped quite a bit of the electricals etc. between the mk1 (the one with the "horns" that looked like they were for a rubber-band attachment) and the mk2 (the sleek oval one in my photo) - so it's almost an entirely different product - though obviously, the long-term "customer support" information - i.e. how they respond to any problems, keep up to date on firmware issues etc. is still valid.

mk1 4iiii meter "pod" -

IMG_6231_thumb.jpg

• ruthbardell
    ruthbardell Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I sold my mountain bike to fund a Garmin 1000. I love it!
  • 35dollars
    35dollars Posts: 830 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Fresh from it's Kickstarter launch, arrived today:

2jwjyf0me3yu.jpg

That's a "Litelock", more details here and a demonstration of it https://youtu.be/KB2ghne7sOU"

Have to say that calling it "lite" is a bit optimisic, though it's not outrageously heavy - maybe 2 lbs? Bit shorter than I was expecting, which is going to limit its use a bit, I think
  • m1xm0d3
    m1xm0d3 Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options
    New Lid...

a1scnwntox59.jpg
  • Kupe
    Kupe Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    saiwozyy8fe3.jpeg

Garmin heart rate soft strap died a horrible death, bought this as a replacement as recommended by DCRainmaker. See how it goes tomorrow
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Kupe wrote: »
    saiwozyy8fe3.jpeg

Garmin heart rate soft strap died a horrible death, bought this as a replacement as recommended by DCRainmaker. See how it goes tomorrow

Yeah - I've seen the recommendations by DCR on that one - i'd love to try it, as TBH I have problems with the chest-band ones irritating my ribs after the Costochondritis from 18 months ago - problem is, I've tried the Mio Wristband optical band, which used to be brilliant, but since I've been put on meds after the heart problems, it seems my extremely low HR and BP cause issues with the optical pickup and I get either droputs or "spikes" where it "double counts" the beats (the cardiologist said he'd seen it before occasionally - where if you look at a ECG trace, each beat has a sort of double spike... the same thing as if you hear a heartbeat it sort of goes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJpT_wHZeF8

and the Mio was picking the first and second section of the beat as individual beats, and reporting as such... not ideal, as if I was riding at 90bpm, pootling along, and saw a reported 180bpm on the Garmin, I'd panic! (my HR is supposed to be "chemically restrained" to around 140 at the moment...)

I've had 2 versions of the Mio and they've both performed identically in this respect - the original worked perfectly BEFORE I had the issues, so it's really just me and my circumstances - but I'm wary of splashing the cash on any other optical HR sensors in case they have the same issues on me...

And I doubt any company would give me one to test for a couple of weeks on sale or return somehow...

• TheBigYin
    Options
    one for my "project 1989 bike" -

"new pneu"

27980514076_2733c321cc_o.jpgNew Pneu' by The Big Yin, on Flickr

they complement the bike fairly well, despite the "compromise" deeper section wheels it's currently got on...

27980941006_b370d8b0a2_o.jpgLooks the part... by The Big Yin, on Flickr
  • cowbellsandcoffee
    cowbellsandcoffee Posts: 2,975 Member
    Options
    Some new wheels for my XC bike. Bontrager Kovee carbon 29'ers.

tn1s8bxju9iu.png
  • Kupe
    Kupe Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Update on the Scosche, no cons that I have yet encountered, it tracks consistently like a chest strap and I have not had any blow outs or drop outs. I have found it quite comfortable to wear and it certainly is nice not having something around my body as it sits just below my elbow. It is also nice not having a sweaty chest strap to clean after a ride, a gentle wipe with a soft cloth and all is good. I mean how much do sweat by your elbow? Due to it being winter there are always long sleeves on so no issue of a funny tan line. In summer I will move it up onto the bicep area above the jersey sleeve.

I suppose the doubt factor is, is it doing a good a job as a chest strap? I have not yet done a comparison more because I am lazy than anything else. My thoughts are, if it is good enough for someone blogs about bicycle stuff and is well respected, it is good enough for me.
  • TheBigYin
    edited July 2016
    Options
    more bits for project 1989 - after a shakedown ride, it became clear that I couldn't "get away with" riding using the old handlebars and stem nicked from my TT rig of the same era - basically the reach to the bars was way too short, and the bars weren't feeling entirely safe - way too flexible for my liking. So I did a little research and found myself a New-Old-Stock Cinelli 1A stem in 12cm form (just right) and a pair of Cinelli Model 64-44's to match. I've a suspicion that the 'bars are a re-manufactured product rather than the originals, iirc there was something about the old alloy formulation on the bars not meeting modern crash test regulations for sale...

However, I'm happy with them, repop or not.

agfcumrumyul.jpg

gbfra3wkcqog.jpg

ecfxlewkz333.jpg

serqez0cdynd.jpg

• 35dollars
    35dollars Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Has anyone used Owayo for creating custom cycling jerseys? If so, were they any good; alternately, have you found anyone you'd recommend?
  • ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Some new mixed-use (gravel/asphalt) shoes for the Ridley came in yesterday. I'm looking forward to trying them out.
    cs7v1mnnk0pc.jpg