The new wheels have arrived. Finally :)3qezhn2ofw5s.jpg
  • Kupe
    Kupe Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Very nice, many happy km on it.

• kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    New bike - changed out the stem from 90 to 110 and replaced 23 with 28 tires. First new road bike in 23 years; hope this one last longer than the Trek 660 it replaced.

z966jaxio0hd.jpg
  • Archon2
    Archon2 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Nice! I'm considering a Moto to replace my ancient 1980s era Fuji. I'd be interested to here your review on it once you get some miles down.
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    My N+1 has arrived <3

16131404427_9c9e725305.jpg

16131698687_7ed267290e.jpg

16291623966_460dc18a7e.jpg

I've got a few alterations & a bit of fettling to do on it yet mind you...

This bike won't be seeing the light of day 'til March/April anyway, so plenty of time to get it how I want it...
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,686 Member
    Options
    kept with the black white and yellow motif then mate... :)

Looks fast just standing there... the clearances on the back wheel looks damned close!
  • matsprt1984
    matsprt1984 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Must be blazing fast...notice he has the fire extinguishers close by !! (nice ride)
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Archon2 wrote: »
    Nice! I'm considering a Moto to replace my ancient 1980s era Fuji. I'd be interested to here your review on it once you get some miles down.

Only two rides in (~69 miles) but definitely felt a difference between my old Trek 660 and Schwinn Prologue. First it's much lighter, around 4 pounds lighter than my Schwinn and closer to 4.5 compared to the Trek. Second CF feels dull; gone are the spring in my pickups but I don't feel all the imperfection in the road especially in descents. There is definitely a noticeable difference in the wrestling of the bike on descents. Third, the bike has a sure handling without feeling muted like my Trek which has a much longer wheel base. The wheel base and rake is roughly the same as my Schwinn but it doesn't have the twitch. Lastly, it is very stiff. I don't feel anything from the stays or BB (unlike my old Trek 2500 which lasted only three months before I got rid of it - first and a bad first foray with CF).

Overall I'm very happy with the purchase. At 2k, with full Ultegra sans hubs and headset, this bike is a steal. Assembly was easy. The wheels came perfectly round and needed minor truing. Assembly consist of indexing, brake adjustments, and transferring of my setup from the Schwinn. I'm surprised that my body didn't screen out for 42 bar as it came with a 40 but the 110 stem was the ticket (used a 130 on my old setups). Also I was pleasantly surprised that the Ritchey saddle was pretty comfortable and will not warrant a replacement. The included road SPD will take some time to become second nature but it is definitely easier to engage than my old Time. Still need some tweaking as I feel too relaxed on the bike.

The most disappointing aspect of the upgrade is the brakes but I had unrealistic expectations. From posts on other forums, I was expecting a major improvements from my Dura Ace 7400 (7 speed) single pivot to the dual. The much celebrated dual pivot brakes are much ado about nothing. There was a reason no one use them in the early 90's when I was racing (re-discovered & marketed by Shimano at about the same time); they don't add that much force that one cannot generate on single and gone are the more distinct feedback loop. I guess if I was comparing to my older Ultegra dual pivot brakes instead of the 7400 I would be more excited. In that sense, it's a great direction that lower group sets are sharing the same attention. The brake hood shifting are nice but it didn't add that much; however, I am getting use to it fast. The biggest bang was the larger cogs and tighter ratio between gears. (All I have was 11x19 & 11x24 with a 53x39/42 in the front.) With my old age and bad form, the compact front (50x34) and 32 in the rear is a welcome addition in the hills (but an overkill and will be changing it to 12x25 or 28 soon).
  • cloggsy71
    Options
    16313685586_27c643db37.jpg

A new set of decent wire cutters & a set of 105 Carbon SPD-SL pedals for the new steed B)
  • cloggsy71
    Options
    Look what's just arrived from South Korea...

16305127197_58c56aedb7.jpg

Something for me to 'have a play with' when the nicer weather comes ;)
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    I think I may be VERY interested in how that works out for you Clive... Looks like 110bcd which could well be a good way of replacing the rings on the 5700 Ultegra when they finally wear out.
  • cloggsy71
    Options
    TheBigYin wrote: »
    I think I may be VERY interested in how that works out for you Clive... Looks like 110bcd which could well be a good way of replacing the rings on the 5700 Ultegra when they finally wear out.

Yup, 110bcd. These rings are a 50/34 set up, but taking into the account the 'oval', the big ring works out to be like a 54 on the power (allegedly?!)

We'll see...
  • matsprt1984
    Options
    zq4cdy5jxy3w.jpg
    binksbosktvv.jpg

New team, new bike...now to build it up. There are more packages coming in the mail. This bike will be fun !!
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    mmm Ridley Helium, very,very,very nice indeed.

• cloggsy71
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Happy New Saddle

16004492694_6da43893ee.jpg

Bontrager Paradigm RL for the PlanetX
  • cowbellsandcoffee
    cowbellsandcoffee Posts: 2,975 Member
    Options
    ^ Nice. I have the same one in white.
  • ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Love the Ridley Helium! I'm a bit jealous. Enjoy!
  • cowbellsandcoffee
    cowbellsandcoffee Posts: 2,975 Member
    Options
    i05juli74kk5.jpg

My new commuter. Trek 7.5 FX. Rack, fenders, Wolftooth single ring, Time ATAC 8 Carbon pedals, Barfly mount. Sweetness.
  • Spatialized
    Spatialized Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    i05juli74kk5.jpg

My new commuter. Trek 7.5 FX. Rack, fenders, Wolftooth single ring, Time ATAC 8 Carbon pedals, Barfly mount. Sweetness.

Nice commuter!
  • matsprt1984
    Options
    image.jpg1_zpsbha3ebw1.jpg

DA DI2 11 spd build kit. Rocket scientist tells me the wiring is in....now to finish building up the frame. Still some questions to be answered on build options.