Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Well done everyone! I'm settling in to my routine and starting to build distance again. I've also got a bike now, so that's going to be good cross training!
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    taeliesyn wrote: »
    Well done everyone! I'm settling in to my routine and starting to build distance again. I've also got a bike now, so that's going to be good cross training!

What kind of bike?
  • taeliesyn
    Options
    AglaeaC wrote: »

What kind of bike?

Road/Commuter, eventual plan, once I get some bike shorts and a decent light for it, is to cycle commute to/from work most days.
  • taeliesyn
    Options
    Well last nights run didn't quite go to plan.
    Plan was run from home to group run, do group run and then run home. I forgot my current daily shoes give me the irrits after about 10miles.... Ran to group all good, did a few extra km's with a friend mostly good. Started group run and after about 3.5k the shoes were annoying me enough I took them off and finished the group run barefoot. Great way to get the calves activating!
    Fortunately a friend gave me a lift home, so I didn't have to do another 7km barefoot! Unfortunately I opened up a blister I didn't know I had, and today it feels like I might have cut between my toes aswell. I'll check that after work.
    Still 10miles of mostly half Marathon to Marathon pace running.
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    Well last nights run didn't quite go to plan.
    Plan was run from home to group run, do group run and then run home. I forgot my current daily shoes give me the irrits after about 10miles.... Ran to group all good, did a few extra km's with a friend mostly good. Started group run and after about 3.5k the shoes were annoying me enough I took them off and finished the group run barefoot. Great way to get the calves activating!
    Fortunately a friend gave me a lift home, so I didn't have to do another 7km barefoot! Unfortunately I opened up a blister I didn't know I had, and today it feels like I might have cut between my toes aswell. I'll check that after work.
    Still 10miles of mostly half Marathon to Marathon pace running.

Haven't decided whether that was a great or silly decision yet, but kudos for barefoot running. I think that will never be on my bucket list. Blisters suck.
    Will you be cycling in the godawful heat in summer, too? Still can't imagine those temperatures as anything one can function in normally!

Did W8D2 just now. Heavy legs, but not too bad a result compared to D1. Plus it's considerably warmer today. Hope D3 will be cooler (or here's a thought, I could head out earlier/later... lol).
  • rusgolden
    rusgolden Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Did W8D2 just now. Heavy legs, but not too bad a result compared to D1. Plus it's considerably warmer today. Hope D3 will be cooler (or here's a thought, I could head out earlier/later... lol).

I had heavy legs today as well and a much slower pace than D1. It had rained overnight so was somewhat humid, but no problems with breathing or lung capacity, just felt like I was running with ankle weights on, lol. I think I'm going to give myself an extra rest day before tackling D3.
  • taeliesyn
    Options
    Haven't decided whether that was a great or silly decision yet, but kudos for barefoot running. I think that will never be on my bucket list. Blisters suck.
    Will you be cycling in the godawful heat in summer, too? Still can't imagine those temperatures as anything one can function in normally!

One blister, and one umm... skin off, doesn't really look like a popped blister, so probably from the barefoot running. I'm actually hoping to increase the amount of barefoot work I do, soon as I go barefoot with a bit of speed, my cadence sits around 184.
    Yep, I'll be suffering through the summer heat too! Ride to work should be nice.. the one home is gonna suck balls!

Warmer does horrendous things to effort and pace! Great work on getting it done. Earlier... yeah nah!
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Today was W2D2 of the RunDouble distance 5K to 10K plan. I did as I'd planned and ran during the second walk break and then walked up the steep hill. I'm not sure when I'm going to get to where I can run up that section. Previously my approach has been to only count a week completed if I can run the whole time or distance called for, regardless of terrain, on day 3, but I think I'm going to make an exception for this particular stretch of mountain.

End result: 5.07 miles in 69:13 for a pace of 13:38. So, just a tiny bit faster than on Monday.
  • taeliesyn
    Options
    NancyN795 wrote: »
    Today was W2D2 of the RunDouble distance 5K to 10K plan. I did as I'd planned and ran during the second walk break and then walked up the steep hill. I'm not sure when I'm going to get to where I can run up that section. Previously my approach has been to only count a week completed if I can run the whole time or distance called for, regardless of terrain, on day 3, but I think I'm going to make an exception for this particular stretch of mountain.

End result: 5.07 miles in 69:13 for a pace of 13:38. So, just a tiny bit faster than on Monday.
    Great work!

When you have things like nasty hills, the distance versions of these can get evil. I remember when I was doing my C25K, and B210K, I learnt to pace myself magnificently well (only doing timed versions) so I would always walk up the really nasty part of the hill. When my pacing was out, some days I was almost running on the spot.
  • NancyN795
    Options
    When my pacing was out, some days I was almost running on the spot.

I can identify with that. The wonderful part about where I live is gorgeous views and I get to run on a road with virtually no traffic. The penalty is having to run up a mountain.
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    rusgolden wrote: »

I had heavy legs today as well and a much slower pace than D1. It had rained overnight so was somewhat humid, but no problems with breathing or lung capacity, just felt like I was running with ankle weights on, lol. I think I'm going to give myself an extra rest day before tackling D3.

When mine are heavy, it is like they are burning up of acid on the inside as well as have been drenched in steel. Very unpleasant.

No running today due to horrific migraine in the morning as well as dreadful weather. Did walk though and am reminding myself that crosstraining is a fantastic invention.
  • NancyN795
    Options
    W2D3 today. I was kind of slow, I'm not sure why, but I don't think it matters anyway. It took considerable will power to keep going at times, but I did it. Distance: 5.07 miles in 70:22 for a pace of 13:52.
  • rusgolden
    Options
    Finished W4D3 today with a slightly better pace than on Monday. I'm a little indecisive on how to proceed... I seem to be doing much better on these longer runs with 2 days rest in between, but I'm doing my first 5K race on August 6th and I think I want to keep my runs shorter going into that week. I guess I can move onto Week 5 and complete that and maybe finish up on W6D1 on 7/28... thoughts?
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    Finished W4D3 today with a slightly better pace than on Monday. I'm a little indecisive on how to proceed... I seem to be doing much better on these longer runs with 2 days rest in between, but I'm doing my first 5K race on August 6th and I think I want to keep my runs shorter going into that week. I guess I can move onto Week 5 and complete that and maybe finish up on W6D1 on 7/28... thoughts?

Hope someone more advanced can pitch in, but I think there might be as many answers as there are respondents, because people function differently even when there are similarities. Have you raced before? Do you know how you'll react to the situation? And what is your goal, to finish or to create a first personal best or to better a previous result? I think those might also affect your strategy.

I just finished the eighth week of C25K and simply cannot wait to be done with this anymore. Really! It's not that I'm bored, but I already know this programme and want to move on :smile: Grass is always greener...
  • rusgolden
    Options

Hope someone more advanced can pitch in, but I think there might be as many answers as there are respondents, because people function differently even when there are similarities. Have you raced before? Do you know how you'll react to the situation? And what is your goal, to finish or to create a first personal best or to better a previous result? I think those might also affect your strategy.

I just finished the eighth week of C25K and simply cannot wait to be done with this anymore. Really! It's not that I'm bored, but I already know this programme and want to move on :smile: Grass is always greener...

Thank you for your thoughts. I've not ran a race since high school, so quite some time ago and since I started running back in April for the C25K and now the B210K I have only ran solo, so not sure how I will react in the race environment and with so many other runners. My number 1 goal is to finish, but now that I've been running over 5 miles the last couple weeks, I don't think that will be a problem barring an injury, so I would also like to improve my time from my training time.

I think I'm going to complete Week 5 using 2 days rest between runs. If that goes well, then I may do the W6D1 which is essentially running a 10K. The race route is fairly close to me, so I may try to get that mapped out and run a trial 5K the Sat or Sun before the race.

With this being my first race, any other thoughts on prep... how much rest should I give my legs prior to race day, additional tips as far as hydration and foods the day or two before?
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, sorry I dropped off the radar, too many issues around work, parents, other relatives and I succumbed to all sorts of poor dietary habits, the one reason I came here in the first place was to lose weight and improve my eating habits. Plus 6 kgs in the last 6 months, +13kgs in the last 10. It all went wrong and I have resorted to comfort eating.

At the same time running all nigh stopped, too much work, too little play then followed by trying to double dip training days, and getting injured. So activity has been intermittent but I have found some solace in my youngest who has been doing 2k junior parkruns and 10 days ago did his first 5k parkrun, 1 min walk, 1 min run (remind you of anything). He did his second last weekend and he has inspired me to get off my lazy butt and do something.

I had signed up for the Nottingham marathon again and its 10 weeks out and I am in a poor state. So gently goes it to get round again.

Hopefully will stay motivated and glad to see that most of you are doing well and those that aren't are on the way to recovery.

And MM what a suite of medals you are collecting

Have fun
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options

Thank you for your thoughts. I've not ran a race since high school, so quite some time ago and since I started running back in April for the C25K and now the B210K I have only ran solo, so not sure how I will react in the race environment and with so many other runners. My number 1 goal is to finish, but now that I've been running over 5 miles the last couple weeks, I don't think that will be a problem barring an injury, so I would also like to improve my time from my training time.

I think I'm going to complete Week 5 using 2 days rest between runs. If that goes well, then I may do the W6D1 which is essentially running a 10K. The race route is fairly close to me, so I may try to get that mapped out and run a trial 5K the Sat or Sun before the race.

With this being my first race, any other thoughts on prep... how much rest should I give my legs prior to race day, additional tips as far as hydration and foods the day or two before?

For a 5k, you don't really need to be too concerned about foods before, just don't eat anything you haven't tried before pre-run. You don't want to do anything to upset your system during the race. Make sure you are hydrated. I would start noticing that a couple of days ahead. I would also stick with the two rest days before the race. No real need to rest more for a 5k if you are used to running almost 10k. Good luck and have fun!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I think I'm going to complete Week 5 using 2 days rest between runs.

So to me the idea that you're needing 2 rest days would suggest something else needs addressing. How deep is your deficit? If you're working at too much of a deficit you're not refueling after the running and that would suggest that you need to think about nutrition in general.

For short runs, as you're describing, you should be able to do alternate days.

For a 5K I wouldn't do anything special, perhaps an extra non-running day. The main thing to think about is being properly hydrated in general, but that's not a specific running issue.

You don't need to eat anything specific.

All that said, I do recall when a 12km run was a much bigger deal.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    Not much running after the marathon, a few short dreadmill sessions but nothing much. I had big plans to start last week, but on Monday crashed my CX bike riding home from work. Badly bruised arm, and a bit concussed for a couple of days, plus suspected cracked ribs.

Last night was stiflingly hot, so an 8km run seemed like a good idea. It's a route I haven't run in a year and despite feeling like very hard work I've got my best results on a couple of Strava segments, which I suppose means that the training has been improving things for me.

The plan for the rest of the year has a half and the 12 hour ultra in August, a probable Marathon in October and then a half in December, so with that in mind I've kicked off a new cycle of training.

The 12 hour race is my main priority, as I'm raising money for Combat Stress, the Veterans Mental Welfare Charity. Normally I'm not a fan of sponsorship for my running but as it's my first ultra I think it's worthwhile.

The route is a lot flatter than the marathon the other week, so I'm anticipating doing one circuit of the seven km route per hour and then taking a short break each cycle. I'd anticipate probably 8 or 9 cycles in the time available.

That's the plan, so we'll see how the training cycle goes.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    ftrobbie wrote: »
    I had signed up for the Nottingham marathon again and its 10 weeks out and I am in a poor state. So gently goes it to get round again.

Sorry to hear about the injuries, I know how frustrating they can be.

All the best with the marathon cycle. This time you know you've got the capacity, so that's a known quantity.