Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I ran at the gym yesterday, since I start coughing and the throat hurts as soon as I breathe cold air. 5 miles, 70 laps- 49:49 plus a nice cool down conversation with an older lady who was walking.
  • upsaluki
    upsaluki Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Yaktrax pros arrived today. We're getting another 3-5 " of snow today, so just in time. My son is home sick today so I won't be able to get out and test them. Probably a good thing. Windchill is pushing us to -20 today. Hope everyone is having a good time.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    36 minutes of mostly running, some walking in between. I wish Spring would arrive, don't like the changing weather at all.
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Hill session and trail fartlek after it for a little over 15k. I kinda misjudged when the sun was setting and did the last 6 or 7km in the twilight/dark. Scaringly enough, my fastest km was actually in the very low light conditions. Glad I have good night vision.
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    3 miles on the indoor track yesterday, followed by a killer spin class with my girls' bike group. Scouting places to run on Sunday, since my gym is closed and it looks like there will be freezing rain most of the day.
    4owcxnyb6mxd.gif
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    AglaeaC wrote: »
    36 minutes of mostly running, some walking in between. I wish Spring would arrive, don't like the changing weather at all.
    Countdown

Surely the weather will get better sooner than that, though!?
  • upsaluki
    Options
    taeliesyn- uphill trail fartleks? You have a warped sense of fun.
    - Ceci- great job adapting to the weather to get your work in.
    - AglaeaC- Things will warm up before you know it! Keep at it.
    -
    I was able to get in a three mile run this morning. Yaktrax pros worked like a dream. Now I need to up my visibility game with some strobes and a visibility vest that ISN'T white. Not sure the reflective tape offsets blending into the background. 2 F here when I got out.
  • upsaluki
    Options
    Our jantastic team just hit #10 in the standings. Nice work.
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    upsaluki wrote: »
    We're #12 now! Do you know Jim?

Completed all 4 of Jantastic runs, all are 30 minutes, really struggling with my stamina. Got a bit of a sore knee, too much running downhill! Caused by being to lazy to walk to the bottom of the hill before I start my runs. Need to make more of an effort to choose better routes and do more yoga.

Have entered the Garioch 10k in March and the whole family has entered the Color Me Rad 5k in June. My oldest daughter only agreed to do it if we promised not to run, lol! I really want to do the Baker Hughes 10k in May but it is always the same weekend I go away with my friends. Forecast here is for gales and snow this weekend so glad I don't have to go out running.
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    After I logged my 12 miles on the bike today, we are #15. My score should go up tomorrow after I get my 4th run for the week done. Scheduled to do 7 miles tomorrow. Hoping the weather will cooperate so I can do that outside!
  • upsaluki
    Options
    romyhorse wrote: »
    Unfortunately I do; he's my brother in law..... I'm not sure if he's going to log anything in or not.
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    All right, had to go back a page to catch everything that I didn't have energy to comment on yesterday.

Ceci, I'm glad you have a good indoor track to keep running on. There isn't anything close to where I am, so it's a bit trickier. Congrats on the PB once again! Your place sounds nice what with conversations during cooldown and stuff. Is the Spring date determined by the sun cycle (as in middle between solstices)? Here March is the first Spring month of three.

upsaluki, stay warm and hope your kid gets well soon. That's quite a wind chill btw. Glad the Yaktraxs work well!

taeliesyn, your mentioning mental blocks made me think it's weird that someone much better than I am still has his/her own thing to sort up in the head. From a beginner's perspective it feels unexpected because all the cool updates people post here are so advanced that it seems like all of you know what you're doing and simply keep going. When does the sun set in your part of the world right now? Nice training session.

Petra, nice that you have your own treadmill!

ftrobbie, how's the getting well going? Hope you're over your cold at this point.

MM, glad there's an alternative to the beep test. You only get one pair of ankles and hammering them doesn't sound very productive. 25-yo huh? :)

romyhorse, hope you find better routes, you do need your knees :) Impressive amount of races scheduled, look forward to hearing how things go with the preparations.

Happy weekend, everyone!
  • romyhorse
    Options
    romyhorse wrote: »
    Unfortunately I do; he's my brother in law.....

Lol!
  • upsaluki
    Options
    Ran a 10k today. 0 F but about -14 with wind chill. Yaktrax still worked good, but I got a little chapped despite bundling.
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Nice sessions everyone, whether indoors or out.

Did a stationary bike session Friday night, cadence 90, but kept load low, HR average 106, 56% HRmax, 40 mins. Did a 40 min very easy pace running session this morning. Same session 2 weeks ago 1 min/mile faster with average HR 3bpm lower. So virus has had an impact. Slow trail to recovery. Will see how it goes. Followed up be running a 100 min coaching session at the local rugby club. So glad I did not attach to your jantastic team as the number of failed sessions I have had would have definitely pulled you down. Well done on your achievements so far. Have fun
  • upsaluki
    Options
    I did a three mile run yesterday. Things are warming up here a little. Supposed to be around 30 next week.

My diet took a major hit yesterday. My son Miles was baptized and I quit counting calories during the feast that ensued. Nothing a Zantac couldn't cure this morning.

Jantastic team members- looks like big Jim Gingle came through. We're tied for #1.
  • romyhorse
    Options
    Woohoo! Good on Jim!

5k run for me today as start of my 10k plan for March, it only has me running 3 times a week so I will need to add in another one for Jantastic. Wasn't sure if I would get out, weather map had snow showers blowing across north east Scotland all day, but it was sunny but cold. Made it back just in time though as first few flakes were falling as I got home.

Robbie, that just shows how much a virus can affect you, and that was when you were on the mend. Glad you are feeling better and running better.

Upsaluki, you got to enjoy yourself at these occasions ;)
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Nice runs! I'm impressed with those of you who get out in zero (or less) degree temperatures!

My last two runs were outdoors. I felt great getting back outdoors. The treadmill will do in a pinch but nothing beats an outdoor run.

Our Jantastic team is doing great. I got in 4 workouts this week (my goal is 3).

• AglaeaC
    Options
    Very nice run, upsaluki! That is indeed cold. Comgrats on the baptism!

Ftrobbie, sounds like easing back into it is the way to go. You've made some nice efforts, though! Can't recall whether you play rugby again or it is in your past?

romyhorse, is it Higdon or another plan, sorry can't recall?

Petra, I have yet to try to run on a treadmill, merely walking on it begins to kill my soul slowly...

I just did a 42-minute run. It felt sooo heavy the first quarter or more, but then things loosened up or something. I got a side stitch only during my last little push and the uneven body-weight distribution I sometimes do didn't aggravate the right ankle at all this time. Toes were really cold the first quarter and upper arms/legs got cooled down, whilst lower and hands/feet were surprisingly warm then, go figure. Technical fabrics truly work as I noticed sweat drops on the forehead of the hat, which turned into frost by the time I got home. Amused me for some reason.
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    Ceci, I'm glad you have a good indoor track to keep running on. There isn't anything close to where I am, so it's a bit trickier. Congrats on the PB once again! Your place sounds nice what with conversations during cooldown and stuff. Is the Spring date determined by the sun cycle (as in middle between solstices)? Here March is the first Spring month of three.

Yes, countdown to the first official day of spring.
    taeliesyn, your mentioning mental blocks made me think it's weird that someone much better than I am still has his/her own thing to sort up in the head. From a beginner's perspective it feels unexpected because all the cool updates people post here are so advanced that it seems like all of you know what you're doing and simply keep going. When does the sun set in your part of the world right now? Nice training session.

I think we all have those days when negative thoughts, etc. interfere with performance. Just have to keep going and talk yourself through it.