Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Got in my first Jantastic run today, the weather for the end of the week doesn't look good so getting them in while I can.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Great runs, Ceci, taeliesyn, upsaluki and romyhorse!

It's a rest day for me today. I'll practice some tai-chi tonight after dinner but no running. I run my first Jantastic run tomorrow. Looking forward to it.
  • upsaluki
    upsaluki Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I need to get my jantastic run in today. More snow last night, so I'll have to take it easy.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I got my Jantastic Ride in yesterday, although it was on a stationary bike in the gym- 14.33 miles in an hour. Today, it should be warm enough (above freezing) for me to run outside, IF I get off work early enough!
  • upsaluki
    Options
    I was able to get my four mile run in today. Pretty snowy and in the single digits here. I'm learning how to run in the winter now. I already claimed my workout on jantastic; strava is feeding them into jantastic pretty smoothly.
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Goodwork on run/ride upsaluki and Ceci :)

Got my group runs done last night. Warmup which I extended a little to make the 30 minute cut off for Jantastic, then my first ever beep test where I scored 10.2. I probably could have pushed and gone a little longer, but I'm happy with that.
    Then the group run, where I ended up covering 8km and actually would have run a good km of it backwards. It was actually quite fun to run backwards and I think I was keeping a reasonable pace while doing it too.
  • upsaluki
    Options
    taeliesyn wrote: »
    Goodwork on run/ride upsaluki and Ceci :)

Got my group runs done last night. Warmup which I extended a little to make the 30 minute cut off for Jantastic, then my first ever beep test where I scored 10.2. I probably could have pushed and gone a little longer, but I'm happy with that.
    Then the group run, where I ended up covering 8km and actually would have run a good km of it backwards. It was actually quite fun to run backwards and I think I was keeping a reasonable pace while doing it too.

What's a beep test? I saw that on Strava and figured you had a new gps watch.
  • taeliesyn
    Options
    Basically you run back and forth between 2 lines 20m apart as a tape/mp3 plays. It has a series of beeps recorded at set intervals. You need to get to the line before the next beep. As it goes up in levels you need to run faster and faster to make it.
    It's actually quite brutal if you push yourself.
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    taeliesyn wrote: »
    Basically you run back and forth between 2 lines 20m apart as a tape/mp3 plays. It has a series of beeps recorded at set intervals. You need to get to the line before the next beep. As it goes up in levels you need to run faster and faster to make it.
    It's actually quite brutal if you push yourself.

It's very brutal, to get the most out of it having some vocal support helps, it's a test to exhaustion, I really detest them. I promised to do one at the end of last year, not done yet. There are a number of free apps on IoS, I expect the same to be available on Android. The key is to get the 20m course setup correctly.

Great activity everyone, have not had anything to contribute other to sit on the sidelines, reading your great stories. Still under the weather, still coughing and perspiring heavily at night. I finally think this stinker is on it's last legs. Last run New Years Day, it seems at eternity ago.

Well done everyone and keep going

• Just_Ceci
    Options
    I got out of work early enough to run 5k before sunset, and finished in a PB time of 28:56. Apparently I run faster when it's cold!
  • upsaluki
    Options
    Ceci_O_K wrote: »
    I got out of work early enough to run 5k before sunset, and finished in a PB time of 28:56. Apparently I run faster when it's cold!

Nice Personal Record!

• ftrobbie
    Options
    Ceci_O_K wrote: »

You need to move to Canada!! Speed demon alert required :D

• upsaluki
    Options
    taeliesyn- You're always pushing hard!
    ftrobbie- Hope you start feeling better soon
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Such happy updates, thanks for sharing!

I got in about thirty minutes today. Icy and very windy last stretch of running, but I feel properly aired out.
  • Just_Ceci
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I will not be running outside today. Feels like 1 and getting colder!
    bzi551e08xos.gif
  • upsaluki
    Options
    -5 today without windchill. I put in my four miles from day 12 of my RunDouble program. Yaktrax pros are on the way. There were some deep drifts in sidewalks in a few points.
  • taeliesyn
    Options
    Glad you got out for run AglaeaC and upsaluki :)
    Hope it warms up for everyone in the northern hemisphere soon!

upsaluki - Honestly I'm rarely truely pushing myself, I push myself into the uncomfortable range with my intervals, however I am certain I have a few mental walls to break down before I truly push myself into the 'OMG kill me now!' range. Even my 5k pb last year although it was hard, I could still actually speak a sentence at the 3.5k mark which means I wasn't pushing as hard as it felt at the time.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Ceci, congratulations on the PB! You're really flying.

Everyone is doing really well, despite the icy conditions.

I ran on the treadmill today, doing intervals. The TV is set up now, so I was running 7K/hr during the shows and 8K/hr during the commercial breaks.
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    PaytraB wrote: »

I ran on the treadmill today, doing intervals. The TV is set up now, so I was running 7K/hr during the shows and 8K/hr during the commercial breaks.

Like the speedplay interval guidance. Well done

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    All good to read. I have to say I hate bleep tests, although my ankles really start to protest after about level 10 and it's those that stop me from completing. Broken them both in the past so the 180 degree turns hammer them. I have options on bleep test, a Rockport walk fitness test or a 2.4Km run for my fitness testing. Nowadays I go for the 2.4Km run and pass at the level for a 25 year old, which is quite motivating :)

After my extra 9km last week coaching the girl Endomondo increased my target to 30km for this week. I did a pretty comfortable 9km on Monday and have two further runs planned for later in the week.

The girl did go out on her own on Tuesday and redid W1D1 using the NHS podcasts. She said it was hell and in a bit of chat on farcebook I figure she probably went a bit too fast. Still, glad she went out, so I'll hopefully see another post later today from her.

Robbie, the viral infection took over a month for me, although I was back to running after two weeks. Colleagues are suffering similar, or longer, periods affected by it, although working in London it's not a great place to recover from something like that.