Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,989 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    samntha14 wrote: »

Oh, quick question: Lunges have become my kryptonite. They kill my workout, especially at the end. Can't seem to finish the last set. What do you all think of me moving them from my last rotation to the first?

Once-upon-a-time the wisdom was to work all the "big" muscles first, no?? And then, get to the smaller muscle groups. (Or am I even revising history there and reversing the wisdom?!?!?)

For me, I REALLY like to get leg-work OUT OF THE WAY at the top of my workout. That's usually where you find my squats, my DL's, my WHT, whatever. By the end of my workout, if bulgarian split squats show up, it is gonna be body-weight only. If step-ups are there, bodyweight. I have NUTHIN' at the end. NUTHIN'.

But, I am middle-aged. So there's that.
  • kimiuzzell
    kimiuzzell Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I got the rack! But I sucked at squats today. Ho hum, some you win!!

Rest day tomorrow. I'm shattered with this heat so I think a day off is needed. Shame I have to work!!
  • tchrmom04
    tchrmom04 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I have had full day meetings this week so haven't had much time to check in. :) I am working on the Strong program. I just finished my Stage 2 workouts. Yay! :) So my question is - for those of you who follow that - do you take the week off between stages - or jump right in to the next one?

Works with my schedule either way - just wasn't sure of the benefits of doing that. :)

Sherry
  • StephieWillcox
    StephieWillcox Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Sam - I'm with Beeps here. If I'm doing lunges or step-ups at the end of a workout, especially if that workout has included squats then they are going to be at a SERIOUSLY reduced weight, or bodyweight. If you feel like lunges are something you want to get better at (so they are a "main" lift) then move them somewhere near the front. If they're more there to help with other things (like squat imbalances and things) then leave them where they are and accept that the weight is just not going to be as good.

Kim - I sucked at squats today too. LAME.

Argh, I'm not having a good week.

1) Today is my first gym session since last Friday because of study sessions.
    2) I had a study day yesterday and essentially did nothing.
    3) I am eating EVERYTHING. Going out of my way to purchase food that I definitely should not be eating

I'm frustrated with myself and need to snap out of it

Today's training:

Squats: 5, 5, 4, 5, 3 @ 70kg - Didn't actually fail a rep but re-racked when I was spent. Wasn't feeling strong today at all so will repeat 70kg next session

Bench: this was supposed to be 45kg but I did 4 reps and then couldn't get the 5th back up so did the roll of shame down the safeties (which luckily I had set up!) just took the 2.5's off the bar and did 5 x 5 @ 40kg. Next session will do 42.5kg

Row: I was complaining that these were terrible for me, and that I didn't understand what muscles I should be feeling it in. He suggested trying some on the smith machine and lower slowly to see what muscles are affected. He's a genius. Did 5x5 @ smith bar + 20kg (I dunno what that is!) and I actually felt muscles in my back working! Huurah!

Hope everyone else is doing better than me - I think I have 3 gym sessions next week (Mon/Tue/Fri) so should be able to sort myself out!
  • SuperMelinator
    SuperMelinator Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    NROLFW seems to put compound movements first, then large muscle movements in the middle, followed by smaller muscle groups last. I used to not mind squats but I don't think I'm very good at them. I should probably just use the leg press. My goal is just to be strong - not trying to compete or anything like that. On the other hand, it become a lot less of a compound movement, doesn't it.

Going to the gym later this afternoon to put in some MILES and a few intervals I suppose. Think I will stick with running since the saddle on the stat bikes hurt my bottom - and we certainly can't have that before a big ride, can we?

Keep kicking *kittens* ladies << HAHAHA!!
  • AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

Supermel - kicking kittens isn't very nice! ;-)

Stephie - Everyone has bad days, you'll get those reps soon.

Sherry - Woohoo for Stage 2! I didn't take a week off in between. Actually I didn't even know I was supposed to. Oops.

Kim - oh well, at least you got on there!

Strong, Stage 7, Workout A, #4 - Recovery week
    Woke up feeling still sore from Tuesday's work, so glad today was light
    Suspended body saw - 2x8
    Squat - 2x5@66 lbs
    Inverted row - 2x10
    SL RDL - 2x10@35 lbs
    Pushups - 2x8 from bench
    Suspended hamstring curl thingy - 2x10
    Completed in about 30 minutes so had time for a good stretch at the end

Can't believe I'm just a few workouts away from Stage 8!!
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Stephie - those numbers are all excellent. Give yourself a break, we all have 'off' days.

So a NSV for me - I got asked on a date at the gym :D
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Beeps - Thanks. :-) I liked goblet squats when I've done them. Never heard of bowler squats, might need to look that up. Work with your body for sure as healing takes time.

Aigre - Nice run. I still need to figure out a place outside to run as miss it a little. And thanks too, hoping to this peak cycle will go well and nice to have direction in the lifting again.

Super - Thanks. I didn't really work on the chin up much but the upper body lifting helped. Now to try and increase my reps.

Went to the gym last night before coming home to booze (roommates, as our other roommate just moved in now). Had an off day so just picked a random time, so little earlier than usual. Some guys were there lifting but I still did a little filming and might put together a youtube video that includes those clips soon. It was squat day, so that was fun. Though I had forgotten to put down what I needed to do in my notebook so it was a guess-ish on some numbers and such. Legs are a little sore but not too bad considering I hadn't done pause squats in a long time.

Squats - 2x10 @ 45, 1x8 @ 95, 3x6 @ 135
    Overload - 195 1x15 count
    Pause Squats - 3x8 @ 65 at 8 count
    Good Morning - 3x10 @ 65
    Sumo Deadlift - 1x6 @ 135 and 3x5 @ 165

• tchrmom04
    tchrmom04 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I get what y'all are saying about the squats. My stage 2 (B) workout had front squats and I HATE them. I can't figure out the form for the life of me - I think I get it and then I get to the gym and I end up doing them with my arms crossed in front and feeling like I'm bruising my forearms. So that part of me is glad that stage 2 is done. I can do back squats much easier.

Everyone is doing great with their lifting. I hope to be doing better on mine soon. My high for this past week was being able to increase my weight to 50 (25 on each side) on the dumbbell bench press. My upper body is extremely weak so moving to that point felt so good. :)

I'm excited to start Stage 3. But I'm dreading moving closer to the chin ups. I really don't think I'll be able to do that - but we will see.

Today is a day off day for working out - but tomorrow is cardio only. So I'm looking forward to my step class for cardio.

Sherry
  • AigreDoux
    Options
    Jo_marnes - did you say yes???! :)

Dawn - yes, running outside is such a head clearer. I would imagine there are some nice areas in LA! Always takes time to find these things after a big move though. Give yourself time to adjust.

Sherry - oh yes, I hated/hate front squats! I am years away from doing a dead hang chin up, but I do them assisted with my knee through a giant rubber band. I have made significant progress this way though, and it is actually kind of fun. So don't be intimidated :)

Got out this morning and ran 2.75 miles. Got back and weighed myself at 139.8 lbs! First time under 140 since...2010 I think. Part of that was a little big of dehydration from sweating in a humid morning, but I'll take it for now.

Happy Friday, everyone!
  • kimiuzzell
    Options
    I had a nurse's appt this morning before work so did a short dumbell HIIT workout at home before that which got me sweating much more than I thought it would. Had a result in that I bought some snazzy pink leggings a while back, but wore them once to the gym and realised that they stretched just a little too much over my ample derriere and therefore squatting in them was just not a wise idea. So, back in the drawer they went. Because I was working out at home, though, I thought I'd dig them out - and they fit me perfectly now :) No overstretching, no seeing the colour of my underwear beneath the fabric etc etc etc. So, am very pleased with that as I was a bit annoyed with myself previously that I had bought stuff I couldn't take back! Should have tried them on at the store, I know, but no harm done now!

Front squats - hate them with the bar as it makes my wrists hurt but quite like goblet squats or kettlebell squats.

Jo - regardless of your answer, "way to go, girl"!
  • SuperMelinator
    SuperMelinator Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Kimi - HA! That's a funny story about the pants.

Jo - That's awesome and super funny! No one at my gym really talks to anyone else. I find it kind of weird.

Tchr - that's some sweet weight for dumbbell presses! Last week I tried 30s on an incline dumbbell bench press and FAILED the final rep. I mean, I know getting to failure is good, but I've never actually almost dropped a freeweight before. Nice work! You're probably much stronger than you think you are.

I decided I'm going to start Stage 3 for NROLFW over again next week after I get done with my bike ride. The stage is only two weeks long, so I may as well.

Okay - time for my rant because I need to get it off my chest...

All week - in preparation for this out of state bike ride - I've been looking for a comfortable pair of bike shorts and a new cycling jersey. Duluth is not a huge place, I'll admit, but we have a good assortment of bike and sport shops. You'd think they would have a decent assortment of clothes. Nope. The best I found was one shop that had a small selection of women's bike clothing and I was able to grab a few things to try on. I grabbed two large size shorts, and a medium racing jersey (the biggest the they). The dressing room was TINY with no A/C on the hottest day of the year so far (95 here!) and not the slightest breeze. I was sweating so much, the shorts were sticking to me as I tried to get them on. Neither had an acceptable waistband - I HATE the ones that roll when you bend over. But then the jersey...

I may be overweight for my height, but I don't think of myself as fat, but OMG. I am not used to the skin tight fit of racing jerseys (regular riding jerseys are looser). I looked like a balloon with a piece of string wrapped around it. I know medium isn't my size and I know having four kids has the same effect on your body that an earthquake has in California, but that shirt. HOLY BUCKETS! Which leads me to this: I get that most men and women who ride and race are willowy, but size M being the biggest? I looked like some kind of male-created video game character! Even if I had a flat stomach and was a size 4, my boobs would still probably be double-Ds. They've been big since I first got them. I never wore a training bra lol, I went straight for regular ones.

Shopping for regular clothes REALLY sucks. Shopping for specialty clothing sucks EVEN MORE. Rant over.
  • jo_marnes
    Options
    Hahaha, I probably would have said yes if it wasn't for my hubby and three kids...... :D

Today I got up at 6am to do my DL day. Got 3x 85, 3x 85, 3x 87.5, 3 x90, 3x90, 3 x90kg. I'm a fan of the low reps. Seemed pretty easy - loving the sumo stance although waiting for my PT to get back to check my form. Then did leg press, rack pulls and calf raises.

Went to work, did a training day. Was home for 3 hours before getting called out. Baby born..... finally. Home now and it's 1.30am. Yawn. Time for dinner then bed
  • AigreDoux
    Options
    Jo - are you ob/gyn? Nice deadlift numbers.

Supermel - ugh. That is why I almost always only shop online. I return a ton that doesn't fit but yeah. I hate trying on clothes in dressing rooms too.

Kim - awesome on the leggings! Fun that you wear pink leggings too. I love bright colored workout clothes because I have to be conservative in everyday life. Mostly no one sees mine since I work out at home though!
  • kimiuzzell
    Options
    Newsflash.... I had to buy smaller jeans today. And they were slim fit!!! And in the sale too! Boom as beeps might say :-)
  • Julieboolieaz
    Julieboolieaz Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the sympathy guys! <3
    Jo-I love dls! That's why is keep trying ;) I'll likely be back at them soon enough, and may just accept I'm gonna have to keep the weights low. Sigh. I'm in AZ, 110 all summer, and it's a long summer at that! I get heat, but prefer that to cold! :)
    Beeps-yup that's my same disc, compressed and causing neuropathy in my left leg now :(. Squats aren't as bad, but I have to be careful and not push those either. Like you, I'm more of a leg press girl, and love whts! They kick @ss, literally, without hurting my back!
    Mel-that bike ride sounds awesome! I love to bike! But don't have a group or places to go safely :( enjoy it!
    Sam-dr says not to do DLs :( I'm not a good patient ;). I have a belt but haven't tried it yet. I think I Should! Thanks! The beach sounds perfect!! Where do you live again? Love the ocean! And that class sounds awesome! Wish my gym had one!
    Kim-thanks. The right exercise is what challenges you, and even the lighter weights have challenged me lately. Thankfully you won't have heat for too long, but combat with not ac? Gah! You're a trooper! Kutgw!
    Dawn-love the pull ups! I want to do one!
    Aigre-nice run and good return to weight. Impressive! Glad I'm not the only one who struggles with DLs. My low back has a compressed disc and the Chiro said no more dls...but I still hope to keep them. Gonna swallow my pride and keep them light I guess, and maybe only 1 set like in SL5x5. Or 2? ;)

Hope I got you all! You're killing it! I got in 3 workouts this week, and planning another tomorrow. That's big for me since I've been out of my routine so much this summer. Good upper body yesterday, and earlier this week I Hit my wht PR again, which is good, 185lbs :). It's becoming my favorite lift, no back pain there! Deloaded my leg press for better ROM. Adding in cardio because I feel lacking in endurance and can use the fat burning, if any actually happens. Overall, I'm pleased with my size/appearance lately, still would like to drop 5 lbs, but not looking for a deficit to get there for now.

Hope you're all doing well! I think we should all go visit Sam and have a beach day!
  • Julieboolieaz
    Julieboolieaz Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Kim-woohoo on the jeans and pants too!! Yay!
    Jo-nice! Always flattering ;) you're a beast! Great lifting!
    Mel-lol at that description! Wear what you're comfy in...I hate those race jerseys anyway ;) so frustrating!
    Agre-woohoo!! Great job! Dream weight!

I had a funny nsv today too. My 16 year old daughter snap chats all the time, sent a pic of us driving to some of her friends. Her one teenage guy friend asked who I was, with heart eyes! Haha!! Made my day! Lol!

• DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Kim - yay for the jeans!

Supermel - ah, biking. Never tried the shorts but can see them as useful cause the seats aren't always near comfortable. The singlet isn't that flattering either, so know the feeling.

Jo - Nice work. I'm a fan of the low rep ranges too.

Julie - nice NSV. ;-)

No lifting today. I was going to but with the way this other store I've worked in a couple days a week right now, it's a little tiring. I worked close yesterday, which is midnight. Then worked 10:30 am to 6:30 pm. Since I started work yesterday at 6 pm, it's basically 2 work shifts in 24 hours. So, I'll have to lift tomorrow, combine bench and deadliest, before I leave to go get my stuff in Oregon. Sunday is 16+ hour drive. fun times
  • Pudding1980
    Pudding1980 Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Julie and Jo, way to go on the compliments and being asked out!
  • jo_marnes
    Options
    AigreDoux wrote: »
    Jo - are you ob/gyn?

No, I'm a midwife :)

I am feeling yukky on no sleep. Unless something miraculous happens, I'm not going to be doing combat. I could, but it'd be crap. Hoping for 2 x workouts tomorrow instead.