Question I'm not sure I'm allowed to ask about the main forum

Options
co_lau
co_lau Posts: 35 Member
Having read through the "we do not talk about THEM" in the pinned posts, I'm not sure this question is acceptable, but I'm a little terrified to ask on the main forums.

Why is low-carb disparaged by so many on the main forums here? Having read some of the posts out there, I was surprised by the aggressive anti-LC sentiment and I don't really understand why this happens. Logically, if members are decreasing their caloric intake, their carb intake lowers. If members are focusing on consuming more protein, their carb intake will lower to adjust their macros ratios.

Why is specifically focusing on limiting carb intake consider taboo?

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    It's currently viewed by a large segment of the population in general, as being mo different than the anti-fat campaign of the late-1900s. We all saw how that turned out.
  • authorwriter
    authorwriter Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of surprised to hear there's so much sentiment against low-carb, considering the number of people with WLS these days. I'm post-VSG and this WOE would be fine with them except for the HF component. We were basically told only protein was fine. Maybe a little veg. In fact, we were told, not eating at all was fine. Obviously, what they wanted was for us to use our fat stores.
  • genmon00
    genmon00 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    IMO, I think Low Carb eating is vastly misunderstood by most people. They think we eliminate ALL veggies and fruits. People really believe we need those 5 servings of fruit and vegs daily to be "healthy". Its been ingrained in this generation. Secondly, we are SUGAR addicted. Plain and simple. The SAD diet has made crave carbs but even that is better that what most people eat. The other day I went to Farmer's Boys, which is a hamburger place, and I was trying to find something to eat when I noticed that the one of the meals had more calories than I eat all day lol AND crazy carbs. Then a young man came up and order the meal with a MILKSHAKE. I was like wow thats crazy.
  • ominousdusk
    ominousdusk Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I tried Atkins like 10 years ago and the second or third day I experienced the "flu". I didn't know exactly what it was but I thought "any diet that makes someone feel like this is not good and probably dangerous" since then, I've seen other people fail at low carb, they lose weight then gain it all back so I had the opinion that it was ankther fad diet that doesn't work long term. Now people are all about IIFYM, and the "just eat less calories" mentality. They oversimplify something complex. They also think that the only reason low carb works is because we are just eating less calories so there's no need to restrict carbs
  • becwana
    becwana Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    What does IIFYM mean??
  • co_lau
    co_lau Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    becwana wrote: »
    What does IIFYM mean??

@becwana "If It Fits Your Macros." The dieting theory that as long as you keep you carb/fat/protein in a range, while limiting calories, you may have those calories from ANY source and still lose weight. The idea that a calorie is a calorie regardless of where it is sourced.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    KarlynKeto wrote: »
    genmon00 wrote: »
    IMO, I think Low Carb eating is vastly misunderstood by most people. They think we eliminate ALL veggies and fruits.

THIS! but to be truthful, I have seen some low-carbers around the Internet post their daily food logs and it is exactly that --> an unhealthy and low-nutritional mess based on a menu high in bad fats, preservatives and artificial ingredients, with little to no fresh fruits or vegetables, and a lot of processed meats. For people educated about good nutrition and the value of whole foods, that is hardly a menu one can endorse. However, as many of us here know we can do low carb/high fat that is extremely healthy and nutritious, but it really is about personal choices.

To be fair, that's exactly what The Bear did, and he lived to be older than I really want to, and died in a car accident. xD He had a very hardline stance of "no vegetation whatsoever".
  • genmon00
    Options
    kmn118 wrote: »
    My husband is home from his traveling job for a couple of weeks and has put things on the grocery list that make me bite my lips.... HARD... trying to keep silent. I will still cook the LCHF way and let him eat his canned peaches (in syrup) and Little Debbie snacks. The thought of eating those things make me gag. I am having steak instead! :)

Omg are you married to my husband? Those are like his FAVE snacks although now I don't buy them lol Ill buy cookies to bake (so theres only a limited amount and once they are gone, they're gone)
  • genmon00
    Options
    "So, where's the research that says carbs are essential"-RalfLott

This EXACTLY is my thought process. Up until we began cultivating grains, humans lived fine without bread or sugar (outside natural fruit). And when we did eat vegtables or fruit, it was only when it was in season (which was a short time) and geographically available to us. How did the human race survive without these "so-called" essential carbs?