Need help starting

Options

Replies

• jerilynconn
    jerilynconn Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    @empressichel I hope in the spring! If I find out about it in time. :) I would ideally like to watch one first- even a smaller meet or mock meet, but I can't find anything on my side of the state. And driving 4 hours to the big city is costly (gas, hotel, food!) So I can't do that a lot. I still wanna compete, just to step out of my comfort zone!
  • jerilynconn
    Options
    In other news, after a huge drop this weekend (2 pounds overnight)- my weight has trended back up. My averaged weigjt and my actual weight today is the same as the end of last week. So while my numbers changed everyday, and ranged 3 pounds, that seems consistent....?
  • jerilynconn
    Options
    Will be gone for a week. I probably won't track as I have no control over most of my food. Going to try to make good choices ! And avoid the scale upon return! ;)
  • ambsnic17
    ambsnic17 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Where you headed?
  • TerezaToledo
    TerezaToledo Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    @saranharm You got this! Treat it as a break week. Diet break and rest week. You will come back recharged. We will miss you!

Tereza
    Team EM2WL
  • jerilynconn
    Options
    The Pacific Northwest- never been!

I will still be around on social media some. Sorry, not sorry. This is a working vacation for my husband!
  • jerilynconn
    Options
    Gonna miss my barbell!

Trying to decide on exercise plan when I get back. I wanted to go back into surge but I am not sure when to work in cardio. I need to prepare for hunting this fall. I will be out for a week walking (with a pack and a rifle) for hours at a time. I will try to hike but I at least want to do intervals twice a week.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Ugh, slog up some steep ravine fast carrying that stuff and you got your interval. Sadly just not dressed for getting sweaty like that perhaps.

Depending on the purpose of the intervals - you may benefit just as much doing them after the hiking/hunting.
  • jerilynconn
    Options
    I have done them sporadically in the past. I do think it's a good idea to do them, I love weight training but I want to be in physically good walking/running/hiking shape but I dont have hours and hours to devote to it.

I still want to weight train in a periodized fashion, but I only want to train 4 days a week.
  • TerezaToledo
    Options
    @saranharm, just ditch the scale! What was you last lifting phase? I'm sure an endurance phase will help you accomplish what you need for hunting season. Do you have a weighted vest? That's something that can definitely help you prepare for those hikes. If you don't have one, a good ol' backpack with some books can help. Use it for farmers walks, steps ups, walking lunges, anything you can think of, in addition to dumbbells. The weight shift will activate different muscle areas. As for full HIIT sessions, if you have 4 training days, I would do 3 full body lifting days and one HIIT, for instance. Or add a short HIIT in the end of each lifting session. No need to leave the lifting out of the equation, just bring in a good endurance/metabolic phase.

Tereza
    Team Em2WL
  • jerilynconn
    Options
    Okay, I am back from 8 days on the road! We stayed with farmers and enjoyed the bounty of their garden. Fresh blackberries right off the bush, chocolate zucchini cake with zucchini from their overladen garden, fresh tomatoes sprinkled with sugar, carrots and green beans canned last year, their honeybee's hunny with bread and butter, jams made from their raspberries and strawberries.

I came home with grand visions to find 1 ripe strawberry, dying squash plants, and deer nibbled plants. Lol.

But I loved the lifestyle. I loved sitting down to 3 big meals a day so I am implementing that in our life. We will not be having dessert after every meal though! Thinking of making something every other day instead. I loved not measuring every damn thing i had to put in my mouth. Not sure if its possible to eat intuitively for me, but the lack of stress was wonderful. And since I can't ditch all responsibilities ;)

I did miss lifting. Probably gained a ton. I'm not weighing for a while. I could totally be happy with myself now, and I am, but there is one thing I want gone: my belly. Its a large gut- like a man thing and it's just in the way. It's not even aesthetics (though I would look better without it) but practically.

Going to start surge with added cardio (2 short hiit runs and 2 walking at incline with a pack or hiking ).
  • empressichel
    empressichel Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    @saranharm That sounds like such a good break! I always agree with staying away from the scale! That kind of eating does a body good. Lots of natural, whole foods full of essential vitamins and minerals.
    I have similar problem in my garden. We just had a grape vine doing really well, I checked on it this morning and looks like the deer like it too!
    Don't you wish that you could tell your body which bit we would like the fat to go from first? :# Sometimes your stomach can hold onto fat because of stress, so be sure to find time for yourself to de-stress. We have so many multi-tasking things to do every day in our lives that we sometimes see highly stressful things as 'normal' but our bodies see them as plain old stress!
    Good luck with the new phase!
    Ichel
  • TerezaToledo
    Options
    @saranharm As much as it feels like you "gained" a ton, it does not work that way. For sure the scale reading would be higher, but it's water weight, glycogen, etecetera. Consider it as a much needed TDEE break with a rest week and I'm sure it did wonders for your body. Plus I can see how much more energy you seem to have right now, it's like a lease renewal with added bonuses.
    Going for some time without logging can be a good thing and it's ok. The mind switch shows when life happens and we know that is ok, that it doesn't mean that all progress is gone and that we can go back when it's time to go back to working towards our goals.
    I am so happy to hear that you were able to enjoy the time with your family, the meals and what they represent (being together, enjoying what nature), without depriving yourself. Even if you gained a couple of lbs, so what? You are back to the grind, refueled and recharged. WTG!!!

And zucchini chocolate cake, omg, I want some!

Tereza
    Team EM2Wl
  • jerilynconn
    Options
    I think I actually need to weigh myself @TerezaToledo ! I am having trouble getting back into eating at tdee and making good choices. I am not eating enough protein or fiber and my tummy is starting to feel the effects. I used to either restrict or binge without a care in the world. I actually feel myself falling into the "eat what you want" category. I know that won't help me in the long run and it certainly doesn't help me feel good!
  • TerezaToledo
    Options
    I'm glad the new you just looked at the number, brushed it off and kept going. Change of foods (specially more salt or oil) can increase the numbers on the scale. You gained weight, but not necessarily fat. Just keep going and after a while in yoir daily routine and food, what went up will go down. Plus, the vacation envigorated you and prepped you for working out with eyes on yur goals. Now, put away the scale for a couple of weeks. Lol.

Tereza
    Team EM2WL
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I had a period after my first failed reset where I kind of went off the rails and ate whatever I felt like.. pretty sure its the reason I gained as much as I did...good for you for figuring it out at lot sooner!
    Focus on the eats and the right macros and you will be back on track in no time.. It becomes Habit, when we do it all the time and fall BACK on it when times get crazy..

Kelly
    EM2WL Ambassador
  • empressichel
    empressichel Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I like the new you better than the old you! <3 #crushers
    Ichel
  • jerilynconn
    Options
    I like the new you better than the old you! <3 #crushers
    Ichel