Morning Sickness

Options
Zenwenner
Zenwenner Posts: 166 Member
I'm wondering if this is a normal, common thing or maybe just me. Every morning when I first get up I feel mildly nauseous until I get my first sip of my HWC laced coffee. After that I'm fine, but for the first ten minutes or so that I'm up I feel a bit ill.

I never felt this way in the morning before keto, and no - I'm definitely not knocked up! Could it be low blood sugar or something?

Anyone else feel like this?

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would look at what supplements you're taking before bed and/or upon rising. Most of my stomach related issues stemmed from overall low stomach acid. After adding in supplements for that, my issues resolved themselves. @Zenwenner
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    Signs of low blood sugar.

pi15n64rh26f.jpg

>:) or o:)
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I've always been like that. Always. I do ok with bland things but nothing crazy.
  • Zenwenner
    Options
    I take a multivitamin first thing, but that's it. Could that make me feel a bit blech?
  • JTyler2016
    JTyler2016 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Taking a multivitamin on an empty stomach can definitely cause someone to have nausea and upset stomach. Copper and I think iron in the amount present in most multivitamins are the big culprits. Ascorbic acid (vitamin C) and Niacin (B3) are acidic as well and can also sometimes be found in amounts that might bug people on an empty stomach.
  • starbean
    starbean Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    A multivitamin on an empty stomach will always make me feel ill. I have to wait until after I eat.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I could never take multi vitamins in my life. I have never been a breakfast person and so when I took them I would literally vomit within 30 minutes every single time.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    Vitamins make me terribly sick to my stomach, especially if I've not eaten. I'd maybe try to time your vitamin differently and see if it helps.

I am not a morning person and I have noticed that if I have to get up really early for some reason I will sometimes just feel kind of nauseated for no reason.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    oh yeah add me to the list of "must not take multivitamin on an empty stomach" too. I've been known to vomit them up on occasion if I do. Not EVERY time but often enough to know better now.
  • Zenwenner
    Options
    hm interesting! Perhaps I should wait to take my multivitamin with breakfast then. Thanks for the insight guys!
  • treehugnmama
    treehugnmama Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I had that for two months after cutting out refined sugar and flour and going low carb. I felt so sick and weak and having been pregnant twice it felt just like it but I was t. As soon as I ate my first few bites it went away but was hard to eat cause I felt sick. It eventually went away for me. I found out I was low iron though and that has since been resolved so I'm not sure which was causing it.

Hope you figure it out I know it was not fun
  • thelowcarblady
    thelowcarblady Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Zenwenner wrote: »
    hm interesting! Perhaps I should wait to take my multivitamin with breakfast then. Thanks for the insight guys!

I would suggest either that or just take it at night before bed! That always worked well for me. Then again - I take one other medication that will make me feel sick if I haven't eaten enough so I got into the habit of taking that one at night. Now, if I take anything else I also just do it at night so I sleep through any nauseating part
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I take a multivitamin first thing, but that's it. Could that make me feel a bit blech?

I take flintstone vitamins. They have a bit of sugar but don't upset my belly.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options

Low BG and/or low BP can make you pretty woozy, especially if you're also dehydrated or running on low sodium....

Could you keep a glass of midly-salted water (or a Martini with salty olives, if you prefer) by your bed and down it before you get up?
  • Zenwenner
    Options
    Great suggestion, Ralf! Nothing like drinking in the morning, before you're even out of bed! *chuckle* The last two days I've had a few sips of my coffee before the multivitamin and I haven't noticed any nausea so it seems y'all were right on this one - blame the multivitamin!
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    I can't even take a multivitamin with BPC--I still get incredibly nauseous. If it's not a full meal, I'm incapacitated for a couple hours after taking my multi. That's why I skip them so often. :(
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    I can't even take a multivitamin with BPC--I still get incredibly nauseous. If it's not a full meal, I'm incapacitated for a couple hours after taking my multi. That's why I skip them so often. :(
    Me too..the only ones that don't make me sick are my b-complex
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    This reminded me a friend when she was pregnant with her first child. "I don't know why the $%#&% they call it morning sickness. Morning, noon and night sickness would be more like it."
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Me too..the only ones that don't make me sick are my b-complex

I wonder if taking an ACV pill or diluted liquid with it would help. Since I added collagen to my BPCocoa and take ACV and digestive enzymes with it, I don't generally get any kind of issue with any morning meds...
  • Yocum1219
    Yocum1219 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I couldn't take my pre-natals in the AM with any of my kids. I don't even try to take regular vitamins til about 20 min AFTER breakfast now. If it's not food first thing, I'm skipping it!