• madrose0715
    madrose0715 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    thank you for this
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    schpitt wrote: »
    How to target the upper back leg muscles with dumbells? Squats just hit the front.

edit: nm just found the perfect thing! http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/main/popup/name/floor-glute-ham-raise

Upper back leg muscles? You mean your glutes? If so:

Glute Bridges (it is a bit of a pain, but you can use dumbbells with these)
    Single Glute Bridges
    Feet Elevated Glute Bridges
    Bodyweight Hip Thrusts (I've heard you could add dumbbells to this exercise, but I've never tried it myself)

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    schpitt wrote: »
    How to target the upper back leg muscles with dumbells? Squats just hit the front.

edit: nm just found the perfect thing! http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/main/popup/name/floor-glute-ham-raise

Heavy enough dumbbells, and the increased range of motion with them, makes straight-leg deadlifts great for the hamstrings (back leg muscles), if that's what you are talking about as opposed to the front leg muscles (quads).

But above comment if upper back-leg muscle means glute. Which is not hamstring and opposite quads.
  • bogo_baby
    bogo_baby Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Noting for later :)
  • MsDos
    MsDos Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    bump
  • giusa
    giusa Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Another post just ref this. Thanks to the OP for the information!!!!
  • tanek747
    tanek747 Posts: 37 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I find it's becoming challenging positioning and holding enough dumbbell weight into position on my knees to really progress on for example seated calf leg raises. Leftovers of walking a lot from when really heavy perhaps. We don't have any barbells currently.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    tanek747 wrote: »
    I find it's becoming challenging positioning and holding enough dumbbell weight into position on my knees to really progress on for example seated calf leg raises. Leftovers of walking a lot from when really heavy perhaps. We don't have any barbells currently.

Since to engage the soleus rather than gastroc you merely need to have bent knee, you could probably do standing single-leg bent-knee calf raises, perhaps with heavy dumbbell in hand too, balancing with other hand.
    Knee can bend about the amount it would in a deadlift, locked in to that position, but use ankle to raise and lower yourself.
    You should feel it rather well.
  • tanek747
    tanek747 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    tanek747 wrote: »

Since to engage the soleus rather than gastroc you merely need to have bent knee, you could probably do standing single-leg bent-knee calf raises, perhaps with heavy dumbbell in hand too, balancing with other hand.
    Knee can bend about the amount it would in a deadlift, locked in to that position, but use ankle to raise and lower yourself.
    You should feel it rather well.

Thanks I'll try that! I've been doing single leg standing calf raises (from ankle) with 20kg in each hands but it's a bit harder for balancing with no free hand and back and arms get quite worked out that way even if it's leg day. Maybe having the knee bent not straight will let me lower the weight and get a good effect still which would be great. My strengths a bit uneven as I'm pretty new to lifting.
  • giusa
    giusa Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Bookmark
  • stacibuk
    stacibuk Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    bumpity bump
  • bebogrrl
    bebogrrl Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • lyz2814
    lyz2814 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    bump
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,957 Member
    Options
    B)
  • jumpinthemud
    jumpinthemud Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • GigiOshun1
    GigiOshun1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Great post ! Bump!
  • jeremynotsofat
    jeremynotsofat Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    jlapey wrote: »
    Thanks, these are definitely good to know considering my gym's lack of equipment, specifically barbells over 60 pounds. Also no power racks.

but the purple and yellow color scheme totally makes you stronger!
  • rabbyduby
    rabbyduby Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    bump
  • slimcharm20
    slimcharm20 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thank you @Sarauk2sf!
  • sw100x
    sw100x Posts: 6 Member
    Options