Thrown out of Ketosis

Options
rhjsgal354
rhjsgal354 Posts: 21 Member
I has in ketosis for three days. I had a major headache, most likely because of ketosis. I took my go to liquid Tylenol, and it threw me right off. I am so devastated. I was finally getting somewhere and no this. I can not take pills to save my life. Any suggestions for a sugar free version of a liquid pain reliever?

Replies

• KetoLady86
    KetoLady86 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Try drinking some broth...or even salt water.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    genmon00 wrote: »
    please read the post on "ketosis vs fat adapted" it will ease some of your anxiety regarding being out of ketosis. it's in the launch pad

Look in "Open Threads"
  • rhjsgal354
    Options
    I couldn't find the open threads or anything about the "ketosis vs fat adapted". I used Keto stick on Saturday night and it measured a dark 15, however Sunday morning was back to 0. I will try and increase my salt intake. Craving peanut butter, so I guess that is a good thing. Lol
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I would doubt cough syrup kicked you out of ketosis for any amount of time that would be of any significance.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    rhjsgal354 wrote: »
    I couldn't find the open threads or anything about the "ketosis vs fat adapted". I used Keto stick on Saturday night and it measured a dark 15, however Sunday morning was back to 0. I will try and increase my salt intake. Craving peanut butter, so I guess that is a good thing. Lol

They generally test higher in the evening and lowest first thing in the morning.
    But also water can affect them... Or as I discovered in a recent experiment, how often you go in general. For example, I get lower results when the diuretic effect of coffee kicks in making me run to the bathroom every hour. I also am taking in more fluids per hour in general at that time of day too. And my tests were always lowest during such a time. Doesn't mean the coffee or anything else lowered my ketone production, just means I'm creating urine so fast that the concentration doesn't build up as much.
  • rhjsgal354
    Options
    I only test first thing in the morning. I had the smelly urine and that is why I tested. But after taking the liquid Tylenol, with the fructose corn syrup, I woke up to nothing on the register. I am trying for more salt, even if I have to have tequila with it..... J/K.

Thank you all so very much. I am going to grab the salt shaker a lot more often.

I have to ask, does anyone else have a problem with the macro chart changing by itself?
    It happens to me about once a week.

Have a great week everyone!!!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    If you enter your exercise into mfp your macros adjust automatically because it assumes you're eating those calories too!
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    rhjsgal354 wrote: »

Uggggggh. I put it in there!!! But my stupid laptop must have screwed something up. To say it's been on the fritz is an understatement. Sorry about that. It's in there now. Again. But here's the link:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10434312/fat-adapted-vs-ketosis#latest
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I read this last night, it was really beneficial.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Everyone's ignoring what you said - LIQUID TYLENOL. Liquid medications are always sweetened so they don't taste like crap going down. There's a LOT of sugar in them which yes, knocked you out of ketosis. Liquid Nyquil and Dayquil are also repeat offenders. It doesn't help that the bottles don't show nutrition information and only list medical ingredients.

As far as your keto headache, increasing sodium helps, but if you feel you need Tylenol stick with pill form only. Make sure to check this guide and make sure you're getting enough sodium, potassium and magnesium. https://www.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/faq#wiki_adapting_to_a_low_carb_lifestyle
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Sarahb29 wrote: »
    Everyone's ignoring what you said - LIQUID TYLENOL. Liquid medications are always sweetened so they don't taste like crap going down. There's a LOT of sugar in them which yes, knocked you out of ketosis. Liquid Nyquil and Dayquil are also repeat offenders. It doesn't help that the bottles don't show nutrition information and only list medical ingredients.

As far as your keto headache, increasing sodium helps, but if you feel you need Tylenol stick with pill form only. Make sure to check this guide and make sure you're getting enough sodium, potassium and magnesium. https://www.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/faq#wiki_adapting_to_a_low_carb_lifestyle

She knows the sugar is what the problem was. She said she can't swallow pills.
    So she doesn't know what to do for a headache when she wants to take Tylenol.
    The advice is to address what caused the headache and skip the medicine entirely.
    Nobody is ignoring anything
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Oh, I missed the not being able to take pills part, woops.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    BC Powder might be an option?? I've never used it, but know many who swear by it.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Sarahb29 wrote: »

No one was ignoring that. We are all aware she said liquid Tylenol. Most comments were to address the electrolytes to prevent the headache in the future. The minimal amount of time she may have been "out" of ketosis is rather insignificant
  • rhjsgal354
    Options
    So, I was want shamed on here for eating starving Aries, raspberries and BlackBerries. This is why I am so confused as to what to eat what not to eat and so forth. I am including a link that I have found. Please let me know if I'm all wet or not http://pin.it/n1GXn7B