Did keto mess me up ?

Options

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    macchiatto wrote: »
    Whoa, what? I thought you were supposed to take cal-mag together. Huh.

OP I have no useful advice for you (though I'm learning a lot from this thread). Just wanted to say I hope you're able to get it figured out soon!

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-answers/calcium-supplements/faq-20058238

Relevant part: It's also a good idea to take your calcium supplements at a different time from your multivitamin or an iron-rich meal. Calcium may not be absorbed as well if it's taken at the same time as iron, zinc or magnesium.

This would lead me to believe that the inverse can also be true, as it clearly indicates competition for absorption.
  • suzqtme
    suzqtme Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    If it wasn't mentioned on here already and I missed it, Epsom salts are magnesium. Since the digestive tract is bypassed and absorption is directly through the skin, it is well tolerated. I soak my feet periodically to supplement my oral magnesium. My DH takes his bath in them and soaks for an hour or two (I'm not that patient, lol).
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    StacyChrz wrote: »
    I do supplement potassium and magnesium. @knitormiss I've done really well on the mag glycinate, but ran out yesterday and am looking into getting mag malate this time around. I also take a supplement that has mag, d3, k2, calcium, and c. When I'm keto or lower carb I make the ketoaid recipe with salt and the lite salt that has potassium and sodium, I also use it on my food. I've been taking the digestive enzymes for about, what 2 weeks now, I think to help with the low stomach acid.

I'm going to try to reset this week, especially after my weekend being hectic. I feel completely drained and dehydrated, having a glass of water with lite salt mixed in now. I just don't really get this whole thing, it seems rather ridiculous that I would actually need to highly supplement so many different things at incredibly high doses just to not be dehydrated.

A helpful tidbit I learned in Anatomy and Physiology: Calcium and Magnesium are absorbed by the same receptor sites on the cells of our digestive tract. If at all possible you should not take them at the same time because they will compete for absorption and one will not make it. Try taking Calcium and Mag at least 4 hrs apart.

I've been told that if you EAT calcium rich foods, it's okay, but any calcium pills/supplements should only be taken at night, 2 hours away from EVERYTHING ever. Too much calcium leads to cluttering of the arteries without the co-factors and even then can lead to toxicity without the balancing items. It is super rare to need a calcium supplement. Most of us just need the co-factors to properly absorb when we intake it...
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    suzqtme wrote: »
    If it wasn't mentioned on here already and I missed it, Epsom salts are magnesium. Since the digestive tract is bypassed and absorption is directly through the skin, it is well tolerated. I soak my feet periodically to supplement my oral magnesium. My DH takes his bath in them and soaks for an hour or two (I'm not that patient, lol).

@suzqtme - and you can't overabsorb it that way, either. Your body will only absorb the mag it needs in epsom salt baths/foot soaks.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    suzqtme wrote: »

@suzqtme - and you can't overabsorb it that way, either. Your body will only absorb the mag it needs in epsom salt baths/foot soaks.

I don't know how much you absorb though or how long you need to soak, I takes lots of baths and use Epsom salt but i still need a supplement
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    How much salts do you use per the tub, though? I'll google on the flip side.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    How much salts do you use per the tub, though? I'll google on the flip side.

2 cups
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss well I was too impatient for your reply earlier and ordered the stuff listed plus more liquid d3 for Tony. I'll start with those and go from there, the choline was cheap so no biggie if I don't take it. Plus they were all 20% off on vitacost plus few shipping. I never tried that probiotic cuz they didn't cold ship so I returned it. This one comes with a cold pack
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I've never looked into it to verify but I had a doctor who advised to be careful with Epsom salt baths because if you majevthe water too dilute it can actually leech the magnesium OUT of your body.
    He did say the solution in the packaging was sufficient.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss well I was too impatient for your reply earlier and ordered the stuff listed plus more liquid d3 for Tony. I'll start with those and go from there, the choline was cheap so no biggie if I don't take it. Plus they were all 20% off on vitacost plus few shipping. I never tried that probiotic cuz they didn't cold ship so I returned it. This one comes with a cold pack

@auntstephie321 - Sorry, hon...for whatever reason I have to go looking for notifications if I'm not on this screen already. I don't get forum notifications on my app at all... Next time hit me up any of the other ways you have to reach me....some of them are more instantaneous than others. LOL The choline simply said cannot hurt, from the research I've found, especially given your symptoms and such. It's annoying that underlying deficiencies seem to trigger a domino effect, but thank goodness we have crowdsourcing of info to save us from early demise!
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    If your newest regime of supplements doesn't work I'd stop supplementing everything. The potassium, magnesium, digestive enzymes, d3, k2, calcium, and c. I'd also stop with the 8000mg days of sodium and anything else you've adopted due to keto - like the ketoaid and salt water drinks. Everything.

Give it a few days and see how you make out. Then see a doctor if needed and hear what they have to say.
  • Majcolorado
    Majcolorado Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Oh, that is an awesome find, @KnitOrMiss! Very, very good stuff.

@SuperCarLori this might be the answer to the question we were asking last week in your newsfeed.
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    Oh, that is an awesome find, @KnitOrMiss! Very, very good stuff.

@SuperCarLori this might be the answer to the question we were asking last week in your newsfeed.

Very true.My symptoms have all but vanished now, so I'm thinking I was underelectrolyting... :D
  • auntstephie321
    Options

@auntstephie321 - Sorry, hon...for whatever reason I have to go looking for notifications if I'm not on this screen already. I don't get forum notifications on my app at all... Next time hit me up any of the other ways you have to reach me....some of them are more instantaneous than others. LOL The choline simply said cannot hurt, from the research I've found, especially given your symptoms and such. It's annoying that underlying deficiencies seem to trigger a domino effect, but thank goodness we have crowdsourcing of info to save us from early demise!

lol its my own fault, I was ready to order so I did. I'm not know for my patience at times.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    If your newest regime of supplements doesn't work I'd stop supplementing everything. The potassium, magnesium, digestive enzymes, d3, k2, calcium, and c. I'd also stop with the 8000mg days of sodium and anything else you've adopted due to keto - like the ketoaid and salt water drinks. Everything.

Give it a few days and see how you make out. Then see a doctor if needed and hear what they have to say.

I was going without anything for some time up until a couple of weeks ago when I started having the pain in my digestive system. I can't go more than a day without magnesium or I will get spasms in my upper back shoulders and neck and not be able to turn my head. I have gotten those spasms nearly all my life and never realized till I started supplementing mag for other reasons, that the mag resolved it. I don't normally supp potassium, that's only when I drop my carbs which I haven't done in a while, though I started yesterday to see if I could get myself back in check by properly supplementing everything. I've been to the dr numerous times for the digestive issues and they always always want to put me on omeprazole so that is not an option for me considering the digestive enzymes and probiotic have cleared things up. they've also told me that my low bp isn't a concern because it appears to be normal for me. I'm not willing to gain weight and eat high carb just so that I don't have to supplement sodium
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    thanks @AlabasterVerve we'll see what happens. I've always been reluctant to go to drs for anything. Im hoping this time around I can supplement enough to not have any issue and be more mindful of getting nutrient rich foods and not just living off of junk and alcohol. I wonder how much the alcohol caused issue for me when trying to balance my electrolytes, for the first 6 weeks keto I didn't drink at all, but every attempt since then I have
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    On day 4 of well under 100g carbs daily. I can taste the ketones and today wad the first day in a while I didn't finish my lunch because I was full so I know I'm in ketosis to some degree.

So far so good, but overly dehydrated, same as before mostly, haven't dumped a lot of water either. I've been adding salt to my water and eating foods with potassium. Monday I did potassium supplements and potassium salt, I think it was too much cuz I got heart flutters at bedtime. Discovered my over abundance of cherry tomatoes is a good source of potassium sprinkled with a little light salt. Also I've had a good bit of bacon each day.

Fingers crossed I can keep this balance.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    @auntstephie321, how goes the battle?

In case you're interested, here's a fascinating vid on nutrigenomics - how your personal genetics affect your micronutrient absorption - by Rhonda Patrick. (The comments are pretty interesting, too.)
    There's a good PDF available for free from her website as well - www.foundmyfitness.com.

https://youtu.be/qvNLNl7oJnM
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    @RalfLott thanks for the info, I'll have to watch it when I get a free second. the sodium thing appears to be going well, but yesterday being day 4 started the tummy issues and watery stool again, this happened two weeks ago as well after 4 days of very low carb. I never had this issue the first time so I don't know if its something that will pass, previously I increased carbs though that didn't seem to help a lot either until I started with the digestive enzymes and probiotics. I was hoping those two things would prevent it this time. I researched more on it last night and many state that it does pass after a few days or so, longer for some. Problem with waiting it out though is I'm worried i'll get my sodium balance off and not be able to get it back on track again.