Daily check in for Keto friends...

Replies

• CaptainFitness_
    CaptainFitness_ Posts: 95 Member
    Quality day today: 2 1/2 hours of hiking with the dogs, calories on point, 72/23/5%. I'll take it.
  • maggiegbrown
    maggiegbrown Posts: 90 Member
    I am having such a hard time right now. I am dealing with some things that has really stressed me out. All I have been eating is beans and pasta. It is my emotional food. I have gained 6 lbs back and I don't know how to get back on track. I don't know what's wrong with me. I went from only having 10g of carb to having 100 a day.
  • pwrfl1
    pwrfl1 Posts: 673 Member
    I am having such a hard time right now. I am dealing with some things that has really stressed me out. All I have been eating is beans and pasta. It is my emotional food. I have gained 6 lbs back and I don't know how to get back on track. I don't know what's wrong with me. I went from only having 10g of carb to having 100 a day.
    First off, put down the fork! You're eating your emotions and that needs to stop. Try journaling that stress, and drink water, tea, or bpc when ever you want to reach for that pasta bowl. Exercise, go for a walk, anything to get you moving and out of the kitchen. Start fresh with your very next meal by going heavy on the fats, or if you can swing it try skipping a few meals til you're really hungry, then go for a heavy fat meal. Put the pasta and beans where you can't see them daily....

Remember you have a choice in how you react to this stress.....don't let it deifine you. We all have had stress and slip ups and high carb days for whatever the reason, the important thing is to get back on plan.

You are worth the healthy body you are creating !!!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member

@maggiegbrown something else, too, is too look at some stress support formulas. My life is insane right now with a move I can't afford and little to no help, etc. I could go on but...sigh. anywho. I'm actually managing more good decisions than bad atm, but it's mostly because of changing supplements. Gotta find some that work for you. I'm doing some that help with neurotransmitters and stress, cravings, etc. I feel how I swear most people must feel "normally." Whatever that is. Hugs!!
  • maggiegbrown
    maggiegbrown Posts: 90 Member
    putting the fork down is what I have to do. Damn this is so hard right now. But tomorrow is a new day and I will start my day without carbs. Thank you Lady's!
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Epic fail. Same old reasons. No excuses. Ready to throw in the towel...but I will not.
    Nothing much to say except.... shucks.
  • KnitOrMiss
    @elize7 - if you have the funds, I'd seriously suggest you try the neurotransmitters stuff. I was faceplanting into ALL THE CARBS from the moment I was off work Friday, all weekend, every weekend. I could hold it together during the week, but no matter how level and great I felt on Friday leaving work, by the time i got home, I was a mess and most of the time i wasn't even hungry and eating crap!!!

Now, most carbs aren't appealing, like at all - I can still eat doritos and low carb wraps, and nothing makes me sick, but anything too sweet sends up BLECH responses. When I think of stress, all my normal comfort foods roll past in my mind, but the appeal is gone. I keep wondering if this is how the "normal" people feel who don't understand addiction...

But I had a BFO the other day. We eat comfort foods because we are low on serotonin and norepinephrine, right? So when we're taking the amino acids that are converted to neurotransmitters that FILL those receptors, the cravings are less, because those receptors are full. I was like, "WHAT?!?!?" How did I not see it before? It made so much sense.

Our food is so messed up, our lives are so stressful from inside and outside influences, the world doesn't support healthy lifestyles in any regard, and so at some point, we have to do what our bodies need. I also think that in supplementing good nutrients that are lacking in our food, our hunger impulses are down some because hunger is driven by nutrients that are missing ... missing things so the body tells us we need food to get them, then we eat the wrong foods, etc., so we're still missing nutrients so our body tells use we're still hungry because we don't have what we need, etc.
  • elize7
    I'm looking into the one for sweet cravings. Thanks, Knit!
    Today's positive keto thought:
    I have never had energy like I have since beginning the keto life. I notice that even during this period of regular relapses, as soon as the sugar goes in, I fall asleep, almost like instant coma sleep, for several hours and I also have a nagging headache that lasts until I get back to keto for a couple days. Then it's like go go go! No naps, stay up late, feel alert.
    Like night and day...now if only I could take advantage of it with an awesome daily workout....I'd be set. I keep threatening to, but so far my anti exercise genes are still in power.
    One thing at a time.
    Having been a sugar addict all my life, and consequently sluggish from so much
    carbage, having energy is like a dream come true!
  • fablevins
    fablevins Posts: 111 Member
    @kimbo8435 Great job refocusing! Monster cookies were one of my favorite treats as a kid, so I can see how easy it would be to rationalize having one. I hope you see the 40s in the next few days! :smile:
  • KnitOrMiss
    kimbo8435 wrote: »
    I'm back and working hard at tracking this week. Aaaand guess what, a weight woosh! I thought that I had this keto stuff in hand and I could just count in my head and all would be good- but the weight was creeping back and I had to admit to myself I was letting carb creep in my life. Not a novel thing for this group, and I'd been warned. I have all the motivation to NOT let myself off of keto- tremors, pain, horrible job performance, not being able to be a true parent- yet there I was. Eating at least one cafeteria monster cookie a day for two weeks straight. The tremors weren't coming back, but the weight sure was. So now that I'm back at it, I've lost 5lbs in as many days. Keto wooziness is definitely there, but I'll work through it again and take my supplements. I've increased my dog walks and my pups aren't complaining. I plan on at least 3 martial arts classes this week. I'm working on adding daily pushups and situps to improve my martial arts training. I'm sitting at 150.6 now- the lowest I've been since I was 17. I had a glimpse of 130's when I was student teaching- but that was all the stress-induced gastrointestinal blech. But now? 149 is within spitting distance. Tracking is the key- I gotta remember that!

I don't know if you want to change one think out for another, but there is a killer keto "sugar" cookie recipe that @ladipoet posted, I think, that's a compromise. Used with Lily's stevia sweetened chocolate, it might be an option...

But I am the type, I'd better find a swap, because avoiding those things is NOT always easy. I don't know about you, @kimbo8435, but that's me.

That being said, the supplements (amino acids/neurotransmitters) have really been helping my mindset and being able to keep from diving back into carby habits...
  • elize7
    edited August 2016
    I really wish I was the type who could switch up recipes to low carb or keto. For me that usually backfires with overindulgence straight in to full on binge.
    I really do better with a spartan, rarely varied food plan and then try to get my treats in non food form, ie, art supplies, dance night, new shoes or clothes, home improvement project, beauty treatment type things. Doesn't have to be expensive it just has to feel like dessert!

My positive keto thing for the day is:

I lost a pound!

Being able to recover from lapses in record time, and to have results that are based directly on the tried and true action of honest daily logging, weighing, and measuring ...has been real lifeline in a long history of diet storms.
    Not that I have even come close to getting a handle on maintenance.... still, having the knowledge that this woe works for me (when I get it together to work it) is so stablizing and comforting.
    I feel some of the desparation has lifted with the recognition that I can keep at it til I get it right. That I can trust that this is a real lifestyle that will last, and that I don't have to be perfect right away for it to work long term.
    I can try, make mistakes, try again and not be afraid of being human. Clearly my weight is an area of my life that I struggle with.
    Keto is like a trusted friend.
  • KnitOrMiss
    That's awesome, @elize7 - hope is such a precious thing - and seeing that hard work pays off if you keep at it, that's awesome!

And I agree - on some things. Like ice cream would be a gateway low carb drug for me. But fat bombs are fine - maybe because I never enjoyed cheesecake as a carb burner - it always made me sick?? But pizza? No gateway. I was never a crust person anyway... ???
  • 4031isaiah
    4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
    kimbo8435 wrote: »
    I'm back and working hard at tracking this week. Aaaand guess what, a weight woosh! I thought that I had this keto stuff in hand and I could just count in my head and all would be good- but the weight was creeping back and I had to admit to myself I was letting carb creep in my life. Not a novel thing for this group, and I'd been warned. I have all the motivation to NOT let myself off of keto- tremors, pain, horrible job performance, not being able to be a true parent- yet there I was. Eating at least one cafeteria monster cookie a day for two weeks straight. The tremors weren't coming back, but the weight sure was. So now that I'm back at it, I've lost 5lbs in as many days. Keto wooziness is definitely there, but I'll work through it again and take my supplements. I've increased my dog walks and my pups aren't complaining. I plan on at least 3 martial arts classes this week. I'm working on adding daily pushups and situps to improve my martial arts training. I'm sitting at 150.6 now- the lowest I've been since I was 17. I had a glimpse of 130's when I was student teaching- but that was all the stress-induced gastrointestinal blech. But now? 149 is within spitting distance. Tracking is the key- I gotta remember that!

Wow! That's awesome!
  • elize7
    Great thing about keto is when my mind is set right, the food plan is so easy to follow. The hunger is manageable even at my low cal/carb level. Not saying that I don't feel hunger, but as long as the mindset is correct it's doable.
    I wish I could find a way to separate my feelings from eating. It seems like such a simple, practical thing to be able to do.
    When I am able to, I feel so good.
    I'm most vulnerable to eating when I feel lonely. The other emotions like anger, frustration, happiness. boredom, sadness...those don't seem to pull the sabotage trigger. Loneliness, however, leaves me helpless in the face of it and I head straight for sugar based foods.
    My next weekend strategy is to not end the dance night before 1 or 2 AM so there's no chance to eat. And also to make plans for Saturday night as well. Just being out of my house, with friends til very late might help. Seems like once Sunday arrives I'm not susceptible and can get back on keto no prob. Just the weekend nights are killing me. So that's my strategy for this week.
  • elize7
    Great thing about keto is I'm back on it, and there is always something new to tweak and improve. I have resisted cutting down on artificial sweetners, but now I'm ready. This month I'm letting go of Equal in my coffee. That's actually quite a bit. I may
    See how that goes and look into cutting out my Chrystal light as well, after the heat recedes. Any good alternatives for what to drink besides water and tea?
    I'm hoping that will help with my sugar cravings and keep my carb numbers a bit lower than they've been.
    May have a fun trip coming up, but not counting on it this time...since I was sooooooo let down last time. And this same type of situation threw my keto off for months...for the moment I'm way motivated, and hoping to drop a few pounds before..
    This time if plans fall apart, I will know it may be temporary and work twice as hard to be ready to roll when the bus comes by again!
    Always a curveball coming at you. Trying to be steady for now and maintain my own goals, my own motivation, and my own dignity as well.
    Yay keto!
  • Fvaisey
    Fvaisey Posts: 5,506 Member
    elize7 wrote: »
    Great thing about keto is I'm back on it, and there is always something new to tweak and improve. I have resisted cutting down on artificial sweetners, but now I'm ready. This month I'm letting go of Equal in my coffee. That's actually quite a bit. I may
    See how that goes and look into cutting out my Chrystal light as well, after the heat recedes. Any good alternatives for what to drink besides water and tea?
    I'm hoping that will help with my sugar cravings and keep my carb numbers a bit lower than they've been.
    May have a fun trip coming up, but not counting on it this time...since I was sooooooo let down last time. And this same type of situation threw my keto off for months...for the moment I'm way motivated, and hoping to drop a few pounds before..
    This time if plans fall apart, I will know it may be temporary and work twice as hard to be ready to roll when the bus comes by again!
    Always a curveball coming at you. Trying to be steady for now and maintain my own goals, my own motivation, and my own dignity as well.
    Yay keto!

Just keep plugging along! I know it will all come together for you.
  • elize7
    In spite of change and chaos around me, I finally survived a social weekend, a major disappointment and decluttering without a binge. Also stayed strict keto, and kept to a planned activity goal.

This is such a relief, and I've seen tbe scale dropping pounds again. Prolly like an initial water drop due to my extended on again off again eating habits this past 6 months.

I feel reinvigorated and so hopeful about the future, even with my latest romantic setback. Getting better at handling this finally. So difficult to begin dating and socializing again after so many years, but like I said, I'm handling things better than even 6 months ago. Had to get my feet wet, I guess. I feel like I still don't even know how to indicate availability, or express intetest....sooooo out of practice for so many years.

What helps is I know that I can make this work and keto can work along with me. Just trying to keep myself steady, and take baby steps.
  • 4031isaiah
    You have such a great head on your shoulders about this. That in itself is a major feat.
  • 4031isaiah
    As for me. We just booked an extended family vacay in March. If a beach in the Dominican with 21 of my closest family members isn't enough to motivate me to get it together, nothing will. I have an appointment with a naturopath tomorrow and will be signing up for yoga Sept. 15. I'm hoping life changes will help with my attitude toward eating habits....

Starting again tomorrow.,, wish me luck!!!