Options
    "kpk54 wrote: »
    Thank you. I love this forum.

Me too!
  • Abm4n
    Abm4n Posts: 529 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    This is a good article , thanks. Takeaway? Once your body becomes locked into fat-burning mode it won't be upset by occasional 'excursions' into carb territory.

• KeithF6250
    KeithF6250 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Great read, Thanks
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    It really is simple

Just do some endurance type exercise on very few calories. Your body will source fat. It just happens.

My ride this morning was decent for burning calories and keeping the mitochondria sourcing fat at a higher percentage

Probably gonna have a blackened steak salad for dinner and lay about for a bit. I will say that without many carbs it does feel like recovery time from a protracted workout is a little longer, but nothing drastic

g7e7bw48ji1s.png
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Foamroller wrote: »
    Ty OP for the good share. It mirrors my own experiences too. She correctly states that one can be in ketosis and not lose from stored fat, cause it depends on "calories OUT"-equation. That one can be in ketosis and not be keto adapted. And that one can be keto adapted despite short term deviations from a keto plan. It's all about habits...how the body responds to your way of life. She is precisely describing why confusing ketosis with fat loss or keto adaptation is a waste of time and energy.

Nutrional Ketosis (NK) is NOT my primary goal. NK is just a tool to let me get into and stay keto adapted. I'm never hangry or hungry anymore, even after hours of fasted training. Any excursions into higher carb-land than normal, I snap back with IF and fasted exercise. Oh and electrolytes.

BUT, this method is effortless for me after 1yr 9mo in this lifestyle. I wouldn't necessarily recommend it for newcomers. They're just tools I enjoy to have metabolic flexibility. I do however understand and respect that other people have different goals and tolerance levels than me and have to adjust accordingly.

Edit: "Calories Out" is actually an imprecise description. Mobilizing energy from adipose tissue, aka burning fat from stored fat cells is biochemically a much more complex process that depends on a number of micronutrients for the correct hormonal pathways to work in the right order. I've posted about this before so won't repeat. Sadly, as we all know...gaining fat is much easier than shake that fat off again. It probably made our species survive in critical junctions, but we now live in a land of plenty.

@Foamroller -
    Thanks for the insights.

Please do repeat what you said earlier. (The search function MFP has in place should have become extinct in the last millenium).
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    Foamroller wrote: »
    Ty OP for the good share. It mirrors my own experiences too. She correctly states that one can be in ketosis and not lose from stored fat, cause it depends on "calories OUT"-equation. That one can be in ketosis and not be keto adapted. And that one can be keto adapted despite short term deviations from a keto plan. It's all about habits...how the body responds to your way of life. She is precisely describing why confusing ketosis with fat loss or keto adaptation is a waste of time and energy.

Nutrional Ketosis (NK) is NOT my primary goal. NK is just a tool to let me get into and stay keto adapted. I'm never hangry or hungry anymore, even after hours of fasted training. Any excursions into higher carb-land than normal, I snap back with IF and fasted exercise. Oh and electrolytes.

BUT, this method is effortless for me after 1yr 9mo in this lifestyle. I wouldn't necessarily recommend it for newcomers. They're just tools I enjoy to have metabolic flexibility. I do however understand and respect that other people have different goals and tolerance levels than me and have to adjust accordingly.

Edit: "Calories Out" is actually an imprecise description. Mobilizing energy from adipose tissue, aka burning fat from stored fat cells is biochemically a much more complex process that depends on a number of micronutrients for the correct hormonal pathways to work in the right order. I've posted about this before so won't repeat. Sadly, as we all know...gaining fat is much easier than shake that fat off again. It probably made our species survive in critical junctions, but we now live in a land of plenty.

@Foamroller -
    Thanks for the insights.

Please do repeat what you said earlier. (The search function MFP has in place should have become extinct in the last millenium).

True that.
  • supergal3
    supergal3 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    @ supercar:"I do my best to not ever focus on ketosis or fat adaptation. I just try to focus on what I put in my mouth, and keep my carbs as low as possible, the rest will naturally fall into line."

Amen, sister!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I do my best to not ever focus on ketosis or fat adaptation. I just try to focus on what I put in my mouth, and keep my carbs as low as possible, the rest will naturally fall into line.

That is BRILLIANT!
  • RalfLott
    Options
    genmon00 wrote: »
    Ugh I cant wait till my urine stops smelling so strongly. It turns ME off lol

You might want to look into certain botanicals that are said to be effective against porcoketourinickia. I can't remember them all, but I believe the list did include established aromatics like nepeta cataria and asparagus officinalis.

Thanks @RalfLott I'll look for them cuz it's a total bummer for me

@genmon00, Did you ever try these? :D

Nice profile pic, BTW.
  • Granchick
    Granchick Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am a carb addict. I love Carbs. If I eat a few then I want a few more and more and then the calories go up along with the glucose. It's like I'm starving ...it's crazy :(
  • RalfLott
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Granchick wrote: »
    I am a carb addict. I love Carbs. If I eat a few then I want a few more and more and then the calories go up along with the glucose. It's like I'm starving ...it's crazy :(

@Granchick & @dmariet116 -
    Here's a great presentation by a fellow carb addict:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10445274/carbohydrate-addiction-for-real

A must-watch for carb-addicted diabetics!
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options

You might want to look into certain botanicals that are said to be effective against porcoketourinickia. I can't remember them all, but I believe the list did include established aromatics like nepeta cataria and asparagus officinalis.

Nice profile pic, BTW.

Oh, @RalfLott you're the ultimate in funny...
  • RalfLott
    Options

Nice profile pic, BTW.

Oh, @RalfLott you're the ultimate in funny...

Pot: "You're black, kettle."
  • genmon00
    genmon00 Posts: 604 Member
    Options

Nice profile pic, BTW.

@RalfLott you're too much no I did not try catnip lol
  • KetoLady86
    KetoLady86 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    YES! Found it!! BUMP BUMP BUMPITY BUMP
  • RalfLott
    Options
    KetoLady86 wrote: »
    YES! Found it!! BUMP BUMP BUMPITY BUMP

Ha. You almost knocked me over.. ;) At which current thread is your ebulluent bump parade aimed?