Why are so many people saying Keto is bad for health?

Options
13»

Replies

• silverfiend
    silverfiend Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    @Macchiato1 Hope it helps with the MS. I am seeing improvement for for Cervical Dystonia aka Spasmodic Torticollis. I started LCHF based on undisputed evidence if it's effectiveness for Epilepsy. @silverfiend, so glad your cousin looked into non-traditional options. Question: does your niece need to continue LCHF? Thank you for adding the info regarding dyes/artificials.

I believe they gradually increased her carb levels and watched for results over the last couple years. I do remember my cousin talking about how happy she was to get an actual icecream cone. I haven't followed her exact proceedures but I believe that shes now on a moderately low carb diet.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    @Macchiato1 Hope it helps with the MS. I am seeing improvement for for Cervical Dystonia aka Spasmodic Torticollis. I started LCHF based on undisputed evidence if it's effectiveness for Epilepsy. @silverfiend, so glad your cousin looked into non-traditional options. Question: does your niece need to continue LCHF? Thank you for adding the info regarding dyes/artificials.

I believe they gradually increased her carb levels and watched for results over the last couple years. I do remember my cousin talking about how happy she was to get an actual icecream cone. I haven't followed her exact proceedures but I believe that shes now on a moderately low carb diet.

Thank you!
  • c2111
    c2111 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Im just a low carbo I've not monitored ketones, it just works for me, it's really simple to follow. I always have high sodium soup daily, as broth before main meal is satiating. For me its just easy.

First time I did it I lost 16 kg in four months, and then maintained for years. Im only back as gained weight in hospital, and general bad eating habits and immobility, due to an accident.

Goodluck on your journey hope it works well for you too. I am considering adding more salt after reading the above posts
  • Anicamarais
    Anicamarais Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Will Avocado kick me out of ketosis as I see it contains some carbs? ? And what about sugar free peanutbutter? ? I normally have a quarter teaspoon of sugar free peanutbutter when I crave sugar or carbs... or a cup of cocoa with no sugar and some milk. . Will any of these things kick me out of ketosis???
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Will Avocado kick me out of ketosis as I see it contains some carbs? ? And what about sugar free peanutbutter? ? I normally have a quarter teaspoon of sugar free peanutbutter when I crave sugar or carbs... or a cup of cocoa with no sugar and some milk. . Will any of these things kick me out of ketosis???

Phinney ballparks the daily number of net carbs generally tolerated in ketosis at around 60g (with significant individual variation).

An avocado has around 2; a quarter tsp. of PB, maybe 1. (But a cup of skim milk... around 13!)

My compliments on your tenacity and dedication. I see great success in your future!
  • Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    good catch. Here is a link showing what you get from a 10 oz package of raw spinach:

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2626/2

Magnesium - 56%
    Potassium - 45%

Still a pretty fair amount for only having the 3 net carbs.

That's a lot of spinach to eat every day

Yes, but spinach is awesome. Raw and in smoothies. Just not the way I cooked it tonight... Which was sautéed with garlic and butter. It sounds delicious, it really wasn't, at least not for me. :confounded:
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    good catch. Here is a link showing what you get from a 10 oz package of raw spinach:

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2626/2

Magnesium - 56%
    Potassium - 45%

Still a pretty fair amount for only having the 3 net carbs.

That's a lot of spinach to eat every day

Yes, but spinach is awesome. Raw and in smoothies. Just not the way I cooked it tonight... Which was sautéed with garlic and butter. It sounds delicious, it really wasn't, at least not for me. :confounded:

lol it is delicious I just cant eat two bags of it. I actually measured it out at one time when putting in my smoothie, holy crap a whole handful amounted to almost nothing.

try it sautéed with goat cheese and stuffed in mushrooms wrapped in bacon ;)
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    @Shadowmf023 Try adding a BIT of freshly grated nutmeg to your spinach saute for improved taste. I prefer spinach sauteed with a few caramelized onions versus garlic.
  • Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    @Shadowmf023 Try adding a BIT of freshly grated nutmeg to your spinach saute for improved taste. I prefer spinach sauteed with a few caramelized onions versus garlic.

The caramelized onions sound lovely!
  • ivanfawcettgibson
    ivanfawcettgibson Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    This is why I love this way of eating. I had a 3 egg omelette with bacon and cheese with a good 3 handfuls of spinach all fried in extra virgin olive oil for breakfast/lunch and a cup of coffee with heavy cream. I've driven my wife about, played soccer and had a bag of pork rinds. I don't feel hungry and I've had great energy levels all day.
    Tomorrow will be a protein feed day as I've been working out and playing sports.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,413 Member
    Options

The caramelized onions sound lovely!

I do like 5-6oz raw spinach sautéed in bacon fat with just a light sprinkle of granualted garlic and finish it with a couple shots of red wine vinegar.
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Well, this is just a wild guess. But perhaps it's because cows, chickens and truck farmers don't have highly paid lobbyists working for them, in sharp contrast to General Mills, Coco-Cola, Kraft Foods and rest of the gang.
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post about spinach. I too am addicted. I use spinach as a base for everything. Eggs, stews, ground beef chili, salads and eat it raw, steamed, fried, crisped like chips, etc. 1 cup cooked would be easy for me regularly. If I can cook in a frying pan, the result can go over raw or cooked spinach. Wish I could find grown up spinach more often instead of this baby stuff. I eat enough of it when I am at home that I was beginning to worry whether it was really that good for me and maybe I was overdosing on some element.

I knew it had good magnesium. Still a little concerned over volume so I still think my contemplation about researching is perhaps a good idea to move to action.

Steamed with salt and pepper and a dizzle of ACV. And a bit of soft cheese on top. Yum.