The Obesity Code and Radical Acceptance

Options

Replies

• macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    *Very* insightful post! And yes, you absolutely need to be mindful of self-care, too, in your healing process.
  • janettles
    janettles Posts: 69 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Thank you for starting this thread, Roseygirl1. I appreciated your and others' thoughtful comments to the point of purchasing the Kindle version of Obesity Code and reading it, hoping to find a new approach to the obesity problem. However, I found the book mostly unhelpful and incredibly discouraging. If you are discouraged as well, I want to offer my take on a few of his thoughts:

Helpful

-- “However, moderate consumption of red wine does not raise insulin or impair insulin sensitivity, and therefore may be enjoyed. 16 Up to two glasses a day is not associated with major weight gain17 and may improve insulin sensitivity. 18 The alcohol itself, even from beer, seems to have minimal effects on insulin secretion or insulin resistance. It is sometimes said that you get fat from the foods you eat with the alcohol rather than from the alcohol itself. There may be some truth to that, although the evidence is sparse.”

-- His drawing attention to Cortisol and stress as possible causes of weight gain. That would explain my unexplained weight gain in the first 6 months of 2010.

Unhelpful

-- He mentions that he grew up in the 1970s. I have no idea how he got the idea that snacking began in that decade.
    “LET’S TURN BACK the clock to the U.S. in the 1960s. Food shortages from the war are a thing of the past. Obesity is not yet a major issue. Why not? After all, they ate Oreo cookies, KitKats, white bread and pasta. They ate sugar, although not quite as much. They also ate three meals per day, with no snacks in between.”
    I grew up in the 1950s and 1960s. We did plenty of snacking. My kindergarten served a snack of Oreos and milk every single day. Every day of my 12 years of grade school and upon my arrival home from school, my mother would have milk or lemonade or sweet iced tea ready, along with cookies or other dessert-type snack. We were not unusual.

-- Throughout the book, he implies that his 2-pronged approach to dieting will solve the problem of the plateau. However, at location 4145 (about 65% of the way through the book), he says:
    “You’ll probably eventually experience a weight-loss plateau. Changing either your fasting or dietary regimen, or both, may help. Some patients increase fasting from twenty-four-hour periods to thirty-six-hour periods, or try a forty-eight-hour fast. Some may try eating only once a day, every day. Others may try a continuous fast for an entire week. Changing the fasting protocol is often what’s required to break through a plateau.”
    This is the same type of advice that other authors give for breaking through a plateau, “Changing either your fasting or dietary regimen, or both…” Where is his breakthrough?

-- He states that, “all foods raise insulin to some degree” and “If all foods raise insulin, then the only way for us to lower it is to completely abstain from food.” I am willing to consider Intermittent Fasting, but in my mind he has not supported his case. I find the book Protein Power by the Eades to be a more carefully and scientifically supported book. In Protein Power, the Eades state, “Fat doesn’t do anything; as far as insulin is concerned, fat doesn’t exist.” Dr. Atkins, too, uses what he calls the “fat fast” to break a plateau… eat only fat for a while because fat doesn’t raise insulin levels.

-- I found his statement regarding plateaus to be incredibly discouraging, “… All diets… by six to twelve months, weight loss plateaus, followed by a relentless regain, despite continued dietary compliance.” I had to pull out my copy of the book Thin for Life by Fletcher to restore my belief that I can lose weight and keep it off.

Roseygirl1, you invited thoughtful comments, and I am sorry that mine were thoughtful but a bit negative. I am posting my thoughts to help any who may have been discouraged by the book as I was.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    All foods do raise insulin, but fat is so insignificant it's not much of a stretch to say it "does nothing" and protein can raise insulin significantly in someone with insulin resistance. His main approach is fasting. So it makes absolute sense that he's considering even the tiny insulin responses from fat and potentially higher response from protein. The other plans @janettles is mentioning aren't fasting plans. The idea in those is only significant carb restriction. Fasting is much more than just carb restriction.
    I don't really understand the comparison... this book is just discussing another way. Fasting is known to bring on very dramatic and quick improvement of insulin resistance. I don't believe either of the other books are targeting that exact issue.
  • janettles
    edited September 2016
    Options
    All foods do raise insulin, but fat is so insignificant it's not much of a stretch to say it "does nothing" and protein can raise insulin significantly in someone with insulin resistance. His main approach is fasting. So it makes absolute sense that he's considering even the tiny insulin responses from fat and potentially higher response from protein. The other plans @janettles is mentioning aren't fasting plans. The idea in those is only significant carb restriction. Fasting is much more than just carb restriction.
    I don't really understand the comparison... this book is just discussing another way. Fasting is known to bring on very dramatic and quick improvement of insulin resistance. I don't believe either of the other books are targeting that exact issue.
    Hi Sunny_Bunny_. I appreciate your comments. Since Dr Fung bases his views of fasting on his belief that all foods raise insulin, I mentioned the books by Eades and Atkins to support another view of whether all foods raise insulin, not to promote their diets or views of fasting. My best to you.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    janettles wrote: »
    Hi Sunny_Bunny_. I appreciate your comments. Since Dr Fung bases his views of fasting on his belief that all foods raise insulin, I mentioned the books by Eades and Atkins to support another view of whether all foods raise insulin, not to promote their diets or views of fasting. My best to you.

I know what you're saying. My only point is that the tiny amount that fat produces an insulin response is so insignificant that it doesn't make any difference at all on a carb restricted diet. However, it can matter on a fast.
    So, when the others say it doesn't create an insulin response, it's not that it literally doesn't at all, it's that it's so insignificant that it doesn't matter.
    But fasting is different. You will even see this come up when talking about fat fasting or drinking bulletproof coffee while fasting. Many don't consider those fasts at all and technically they're not. But since only fat is consumed, it mimicks fasting well enough to be beneficial. Then you get debate about weather or not adding cream breaks the fast because of the protein and lactose. Because even in very small amounts, it does matter when it comes to fasting.
  • janettles
    Options
    janettles wrote: »

I know what you're saying. My only point is that the tiny amount that fat produces an insulin response is so insignificant that it doesn't make any difference at all on a carb restricted diet. However, it can matter on a fast.
    So, when the others say it doesn't create an insulin response, it's not that it literally doesn't at all, it's that it's so insignificant that it doesn't matter.
    But fasting is different. You will even see this come up when talking about fat fasting or drinking bulletproof coffee while fasting. Many don't consider those fasts at all and technically they're not. But since only fat is consumed, it mimicks fasting well enough to be beneficial. Then you get debate about weather or not adding cream breaks the fast because of the protein and lactose. Because even in very small amounts, it does matter when it comes to fasting.
    Thank you for offering these points to consider, Sunny_Bunny_. I also very much appreciate the loving and intelligent tone that Roseygirl1 has set for the consideration of this topic.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Roseygirl1 wrote: »
    I am discovering just how little food I actually need (compared to how much I was eating before.)

Love it. Great discovery.
  • supergal3
    supergal3 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Good luck, Rosey.
  • sherryrichie
    sherryrichie Posts: 113 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Binges happen. As binges go, it didn't sound too bad. I'm sure it helped writing about it this morning. You have been making some wonderful changes in your life. I love how you have decided to be gentle with yourself. Keep on with your plan and don't be too hard on yourself about the binge.

Because you mentioned it earlier, I have been reading The Obesity Code and have found it to be very interesting.

Good luck with your cake poking!!!
  • Roseygirl1
    Roseygirl1 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    <3 Been there Miss Rosie. The aging parents. The difficult subjects and decisions. The assisted living environment with two parents who made the choice to be there when they were both diagnosed with terminal cancer the same freaking week in April of 2006. The decision maker. The POA. The Executrix. Even the bit about the deceased sister and cemetery plot arrangements. 9 years later, your post has me in tears. Oh, the sadness. Forgive your binge. Stay mindful. Be kind to yourself. You are carrying a huge load. <3

Thank you for this. I'm sorry you had that path to walk, but know that your compassion comforted another soul today.

Rosey