• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    And the schedule of speakers:
    http://ketosummit.com/schedule-of-speakers
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I'm excited for this! Which strikes me as a little crazy - new me likes such "boring" things LOL
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Phrick wrote: »
    I'm excited for this! Which strikes me as a little crazy - new me likes such "boring" things LOL

I feel ya!
    New me loves this boring stuff too!
    I could almost hear my sister snoring on the phone yesterday when I was talking about how our dad needs to be eating to prevent his cancer from returning and encourage his best possible health. Lol
    I tried to simplify the stuff from Dr Seyfrieds' video for her. Not very well, I don't think. Lol
    I can't get her to watch anything, at least she never admits to watching anything I send her. Doesn't want to have a deep enough understanding for what her "eating carbs all day to control blood sugar" is really doing to her T2D because then she might have to give up her sweets.
    Sorry, auto-rant activates when I mention my sister. Lol
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    ... Sorry, auto-rant activates when I mention my sister. Lol

I have a friend who activates my auto-rant feature as well haha!!
  • bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    trish55011 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what time the summit will begin? I looked on the page but did not see it any where. Also does anyone know how long it will last? Would love to take part, but have important morning and afternoon engagements on that day.

The "Thank You for Registering Page" told me the summit starts at 6:00 am EST on Sunday September 25 and goes until October 5. Every day at midnight you are sent a new link to all of the videos for that day, all previous videos expire so if you missed them then you missed them (unless someone finds a way to save them and share them later).

I think, but I am not sure, you can watch the active daily videos any time during the day they are active. So at your leisure.

I am excited.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    Phrick wrote: »
    ... Sorry, auto-rant activates when I mention my sister. Lol

I have a friend who activates my auto-rant feature as well haha!!

Oh I have that feature, too. :lol:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I love the reference to the telephone game. I see so many people "doing Atkins", but not doing atkins, trying to eliminate all vegetables.... I find that I spend a lot of time telling folks to do their research. Just had this conversation with a colleague in an office near by. Again. And my sister. Again.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Very cool! I'll be watching and will send this around to my friends.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I love the reference to the telephone game. I see so many people "doing Atkins", but not doing atkins, trying to eliminate all vegetables.... I find that I spend a lot of time telling folks to do their research. Just had this conversation with a colleague in an office near by. Again. And my sister. Again.

So true. It took a long time for my family to realize that I had not given up vegetables. I just don't eat baked good - refined grains or sugars. Atkins (Induction) still leaves a HUGE variety of foods.

• supergal3
    supergal3 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Sorry, auto-rant activates when I mention my sister. Lol (at sister, insert, cousin and girlfriend)
  • Sarahb29
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

So true. It took a long time for my family to realize that I had not given up vegetables. I just don't eat baked good - refined grains or sugars. Atkins (Induction) still leaves a HUGE variety of foods.

I remember someone talking about how Atkins made them feel awful.. it turned out they thought they were only supposed to eat meat. No veggies! What the heck.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I received what must have been one of their freebie or teaser links when I signed up. The link didn't work so I sent them the requested email. They responded quickly with a different link that worked fine. :)
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    supergal3 wrote: »
    Sorry, auto-rant activates when I mention my sister. Lol (at sister, insert, cousin and girlfriend)

Worse here.. Merely hearing the term "auto-rant" (or "sister", of course) activates auto-rant.
  • bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Listened to about 4-5 videos so far. It has been very informative.
  • RalfLott
    edited September 2016
    Options
    @bametels recommended Dr. Tom O'Bryan's vid - best I've listened to so far. It's still live today...

Tip - One way to be able to view the vids later if you subscribe to Youtube Red is to hit >click here< for alternate links, click-hold on the screen when the video loads, and then copy the Youtube URL. Paste that into a Youtube window and download it to listen offline.

Another way is to replace "www.youtube...." with "ssyoutube...." in your browser and then download video or audio only from the resulting page at savefrom.net. It will urge you to install software, but it's NOT necessary. Use at your own risk.
  • Sarahb29
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Great tip @RalfLott, going to do that now!

Edit: It works perfectly! Clicking the alternative links on mobile opens YouTube and from there I can expand the description and download them to view offline.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    Great!

Some of the talks are so packed with info that a single viewing is probably not going to do the trick.
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Just watched another video that I highly recommend, Interpreting your blood tests and biomarkers more accurately and effectively with Dr. Bryan Walsh, who is a Naturopathic Doctor and biochemist. Just fascinating!

Warning - this is science heavy but worth listening to. He notes that he raises more questions than he answers; however, they are important questions. He discusses how he personally loves the keto diet but expresses concerns that there are not enough studies about the long-terms implications. He talks about how various biomarker changes typically seen in keto diets (ex., changes in HDL, triglycerides, and uric acid levels) may cause serious health issues long term.

Dr. Walsh states that fully supports keto diets (and he adopts a keto diet several times a year for short periods of time) when it is neurologically necessary but expresses concerns about possible long-term risks. There are indicators of potential problems (for ex. very high HDL which often results from keto diets is correlated with a significant increase - 2x the rate - of cancer) but long-term human studies have not been done to fully answer key questions.

So, it's worth your time, just be aware that there will be a lot of biochemical jargon.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    bametels wrote: »
    Just watched another video that I highly recommend, Interpreting your blood tests and biomarkers more accurately and effectively with Dr. Bryan Walsh, who is a Naturopathic Doctor and biochemist. Just fascinating!

Warning - this is science heavy but worth listening to. He notes that he raises more questions than he answers; however, they are important questions. He discusses how he personally loves the keto diet but expresses concerns that there are not enough studies about the long-terms implications. He talks about how various biomarker changes typically seen in keto diets (ex., changes in HDL, triglycerides, and uric acid levels) may cause serious health issues long term.

Dr. Walsh states that fully supports keto diets (and he adopts a keto diet several times a year for short periods of time) when it is neurologically necessary but expresses concerns about possible long-term risks. There are indicators of potential problems (for ex. very high HDL which often results from keto diets is correlated with a significant increase - 2x the rate - of cancer) but long-term human studies have not been done to fully answer key questions.

So, it's worth your time, just be aware that there will be a lot of biochemical jargon.

Thanks for the preview!

I recently listened to another talk with similar subject matter by Jeff Volek, who observed that elite athletes often have extremely high HDL, as well as very high total cholesterol levels - perhaps there's a published summary of their complete lipid profiles.

It is fascinating stuff. I sure wish there had been more long-term research conducted on LCHF diets, so that we could make diet decisions without leaps of faith. For diabetics, perhaps it's a bit simpler, but still.....

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

Day 07 | The Metabolic Mind: Rethinking the Ketogenic Diet and Neurodegenerative Disease With Dr. Dominic D’Agostino & Dr. Angela Poff from the Awakening from Alzheimer’s | The Event

This is to be free until 9 am tomorrow (28 Sept) and many know the work of Dr. D'Agostino. Dr. Poff mentions ketones seem to actually directly damage cancer cells beyond reducing the source of glucose.