Keto summit

Options

Replies

• Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    bametels wrote: »
    Just watched another video that I highly recommend, Interpreting your blood tests and biomarkers more accurately and effectively with Dr. Bryan Walsh, who is a Naturopathic Doctor and biochemist. Just fascinating!

Warning - this is science heavy but worth listening to. He notes that he raises more questions than he answers; however, they are important questions. He discusses how he personally loves the keto diet but expresses concerns that there are not enough studies about the long-terms implications. He talks about how various biomarker changes typically seen in keto diets (ex., changes in HDL, triglycerides, and uric acid levels) may cause serious health issues long term.

Dr. Walsh states that fully supports keto diets (and he adopts a keto diet several times a year for short periods of time) when it is neurologically necessary but expresses concerns about possible long-term risks. There are indicators of potential problems (for ex. very high HDL which often results from keto diets is correlated with a significant increase - 2x the rate - of cancer) but long-term human studies have not been done to fully answer key questions.

So, it's worth your time, just be aware that there will be a lot of biochemical jargon.

I'm all for of questioning, but on which grounds is he so concerned for "long term implications"? Before the human race started agriculture roughly 11k years ago, we only ate seasonal or preserved starches. So for the vast majority of human existence we have probably been in ketosis.

According to D'Agostino about 20-30% of people who test their cholesterol on Keto get elevated levels. Keto may not be for them (if cholesterol is a concern). But it they were in a fat loss period, cholesterol raises due to increased lipolysis anyway... Cholesterol is a vital and essential part of our bodies, it's part of the cell structure. Cholesterol is just a way for the body to transport protein around in blood, hence LIPOPROTEIN. Ivor Cummins has one of the best lectures explaining cholesterol on YT that l've seen. According to Perlmutter in elderly people they actually do better with higher cholesterol. The brain is bathing in fat, it's called myelin and it's critical for cognitive function and synapse connectivity.
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Foamroller wrote: »
    Just watched another video that I highly recommend, Interpreting your blood tests and biomarkers more accurately and effectively with Dr. Bryan Walsh, who is a Naturopathic Doctor and biochemist. Just fascinating!

Warning - this is science heavy but worth listening to. He notes that he raises more questions than he answers; however, they are important questions. He discusses how he personally loves the keto diet but expresses concerns that there are not enough studies about the long-terms implications. He talks about how various biomarker changes typically seen in keto diets (ex., changes in HDL, triglycerides, and uric acid levels) may cause serious health issues long term.

Dr. Walsh states that fully supports keto diets (and he adopts a keto diet several times a year for short periods of time) when it is neurologically necessary but expresses concerns about possible long-term risks. There are indicators of potential problems (for ex. very high HDL which often results from keto diets is correlated with a significant increase - 2x the rate - of cancer) but long-term human studies have not been done to fully answer key questions.

So, it's worth your time, just be aware that there will be a lot of biochemical jargon.

I'm all for of questioning, but on which grounds is he so concerned for "long term implications"? Before the human race started agriculture roughly 11k years ago, we only ate seasonal or preserved starches. So for the vast majority of human existence we have probably been in ketosis.

According to D'Agostino about 20-30% of people who test their cholesterol on Keto get elevated levels. Keto may not be for them (if cholesterol is a concern). But it they were in a fat loss period, cholesterol raises due to increased lipolysis anyway... Cholesterol is a vital and essential part of our bodies, it's part of the cell structure. Cholesterol is just a way for the body to transport protein around in blood, hence LIPOPROTEIN. Ivor Cummins has one of the best lectures explaining cholesterol on YT that l've seen. According to Perlmutter in elderly people they actually do better with higher cholesterol. The brain is bathing in fat, it's called myelin and it's critical for cognitive function and synapse connectivity.

Hi @Foamroller!

My intent in sharing information about the video was to let the members of this group know that in my opinion this is an interesting and informative video that raises a lot of interesting questions. If you're interested in learning more, I suggest that you watch the video.

I really appreciate that the people sponsoring the Keto Summit are addressing a wide range of topics by many different types of experts who bring different information and perspectives to the discussion. We're all different and come to this WOE for various reasons. What makes sense for one person may be contraindicated for someone else. Risks one person may be willing to take may differ from risks someone else feels comfortable taking. It's great that we're being offered the opportunity to learn from the expertise of diverse practitioners. It's making me think critically about my reasons for adopting a keto diet, what it might do for me, and things about it that perhaps I should be cautious about.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    @kpk54 I just burst out laughing at my desk. So true!
  • Aquawave
    Aquawave Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    I get a chuckle out of Dr. Fung and he explains things in a way that I understand. I love his "schtick" about fasting (though I don't do it):

Don't have time to cook? Fast!
    Low on grocery money? Fast!
    Can't make up your mind for dinner? Fast!
    Cook top is broken? Fast!
    Got home late? Fast!
    It's so easy. Just Fast!

Have to add since I am
    Lazy? Just fast!
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Agreed @cstehansen. I listened to one yesterday that said Keto wasn't meant to be on a full time basis, because he likes having carbs every once in awhile. He uses it as a tool every now and then. I agree with that 100% - if you've lost the weight and are in maintenance, I don't see anything wrong with upping your carbs to 150-200g or so, and then if you want to lose weight, control your blood sugars or for whatever reason be in ketosis you can use it as a tool to drop that weight. You obviously shouldn't be going on a carb binge but to stay on Keto forever is not ideal for everyone :)
  • supergal3
    supergal3 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Today's lecture by Dr. Seyfried is excellent!!
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    supergal3 wrote: »

High points?
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    This has been totally awesome, I'm just sorry I stumbled upon this thread a day too late for the first set of speakers. :( I agree @cstehansen - I don't just want all the rooters for keto, I want smart people who are looking at all the angles and maybe questioning the whys. I enjoyed Dr. Walsh's info and googled a few terms and found a few papers in another Window while he was talking. I like to multitask and read scientific papers while listening to biochemical jargon, :D
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I enjoyed Dr. Kenneth Ford today (just in time before the end of the allowed viewing time - glad they changed it to 48 hrs instead of 24).
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    supergal3 wrote: »

High points?

I love how feisty he is. He is a straight talker.

In this interview, Tom talks about:

Why the way we currently treat cancer creates so many adverse effects.
    The theory that most cancer treatment is based on, but which is no longer a valid theory.
    The REAL causes of cancer cells – it’s not mutations of the cell nucleus.
    How the ways we treat some cancers actually causes cancers cells to proliferate.
    How metabolic treatment may be able to raise cancer survivorship by 30-40% TOTAL.
    How a keto diet can potentially treat some cancers with fewer side effects.
    Why the medical industry won’t allow new treatments for cancer.
    Depriving cancer cells of sugar – how to do it and why it might be an effective treatment.
    The differences between treating cancer and trying to healthy or athletic.
    The root causes of cancer in the cell, and what you can do to prevent this.
    How to protect your mitochondria with a keto diet and which types of supplements can also help.

Links Mentioned In This Video:

Single Cause Single Cure Foundation http://www.singlecausesinglecure.org/
    Book – Tripping Over the Truth by Travis Christofferson http://paleomagazine.com/amazon-tripping-over-the-truth/
    About Dr. Thomas Seyfried http://www.bc.edu/schools/cas/biology/facadmin/seyfried.html
    Book – Cancer as a Metabolic Disease by Thomas Seyfried http://paleomagazine.com/amazon-cancer-metabolic-disease
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    This has been totally awesome, I'm just sorry I stumbled upon this thread a day too late for the first set of speakers. :( I agree @cstehansen - I don't just want all the rooters for keto, I want smart people who are looking at all the angles and maybe questioning the whys. I enjoyed Dr. Walsh's info and googled a few terms and found a few papers in another Window while he was talking. I like to multitask and read scientific papers while listening to biochemical jargon, :D

On these kinds of summits, in the past, they have one final day where they open up all the videos so you can view anything you missed or watch things again. They may do it too, so you might get a chance to watch those first day ones.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    I thought the price to buy both conferences was reasonable this time.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Tom Seyfried Interview is awesome but having read his textbook on the subject helps I am sure. I wish his views could be proven or disproven by a few research labs ASAP but I think his views are a turn off to the MD community.
  • Foamroller
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Foamroller wrote: »

Hi @Foamroller!

My intent in sharing information about the video was to let the members of this group know that in my opinion this is an interesting and informative video that raises a lot of interesting questions. If you're interested in learning more, I suggest that you watch the video.

I really appreciate that the people sponsoring the Keto Summit are addressing a wide range of topics by many different types of experts who bring different information and perspectives to the discussion. We're all different and come to this WOE for various reasons. What makes sense for one person may be contraindicated for someone else. Risks one person may be willing to take may differ from risks someone else feels comfortable taking. It's great that we're being offered the opportunity to learn from the expertise of diverse practitioners. It's making me think critically about my reasons for adopting a keto diet, what it might do for me, and things about it that perhaps I should be cautious about.

Your thoughts are always welcome. Nd I agree that critical constructive thinking is very important. I watched the Walsh podcast. His argument were not very impressive...to me. We can agree to disagree on this matter Why do I think he presented a weak case?
    1) He himself hasn't tried NK for more than a month, just enough time to maybe get keto adapted.
    2) He based his concerns based on blood test numbers for patients. He didn't inform how many....we there 2 or were there 10? We don't know cause he didn't say. He also didn't quantify the elevated numbers. I repeat myself but cholesterol is a part of the healing process, @Galehawkins have posted about elevated numbers that went down after several months, I think. In any patient that is willing to pay for specialized treatment, there are possible OTHER variables besides NK that may confound numbers.
    3) As a Dr and biochemist he should know that making assumptions and aggregating effects onto genpop based on an undisclosed small population is a rather shoddy argument. I'm NOT saying Dr Walsh is wrong, I'm only saying he was not very convincing, IMO.

I do agree that we need longterm studies! The more knowledge the better.

Edit: Some of his views are also directly contradicting the views of Dr. Seyfried, Srs. Phinney, Volek and D'Agostino. Personally I trust their knowledge more than Walsh, until he presents better data.
  • Foamroller
    Options
    I really, REALLY liked Dr. Westmark podcast about stalling on keto! nutrient rich diet FTW!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @Foamroller - I started listening to that one, but work kept me from getting through it. Are you able to recap the highlights?
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    @Foamroller - I started listening to that one, but work kept me from getting through it. Are you able to recap the highlights?

My problem is soccer and noisy kids... :neutral: