Keto summit

Options

Replies

• cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss

This is not from the summit, but it is a good youtube video where Dr. Westmark is explaining his plan to those just starting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSLf4bzAyOM

As for the interview for the summit, I think a couple of the best takeaways were:

- Watch out for "trigger foods" which are those things that are easy to overeat. Best example he gave, which is one for me, is pork rinds. Although there are no carbs, it is easy to eat a whole bag which would be 800 calories. So it is important to still watch portion size, particularly with some foods.
    - Stop eating when you are full. It is easy to over eat because the portion sizes are smaller that get you full. My wife on multiple occasions has commented that it didn't look like I had enough food on my plate to be full. She doesn't understand the eggs and bacon, although not as large as the heaping bowl of oatmeal and toast with jelly, is actually more filling.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Dr. Westman was my favorite. Not a super science presentation and pretty "black and white"

I noted Westman's pitfalls or problems that tend to "get in the way" of "success" (not sure how he phrased it exactly...perhaps a "stall"):

Carb Creep
    Ignoring Calories
    Artificial Sweeteners
    Bad Habits
    Not noting improvements in body composition
    Trigger foods
    Well intentioned other people in life
    Convenience Foods

These are the things he said people need to be aware of or address if they are not losing. Nothing new but definitely a confirmation of what is expressed so frequently in this forum.
  • cstehansen
    Options
    @kpk54 is much better at being succinct than some of us. Perfect list there.
  • kpk54
    Options
    Westman. Westman. Westman. I speak of Dr. Eric Westman. y3h75qamnpid.jpg

cstehansen wrote: »
    @kpk54 is much better at being succinct than some of us. Perfect list there.

LOL @cstehansen . The only notes I took listening to ANY of the videos.
  • kpk54
    Options
    Adding to the above: Healclinics.com is the new business Westman is getting established in addition to his AdaptBars. Currently there is info on line though I think it is still in infancy. One can get on a mailing list.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    Dr. Westman was my favorite. Not a super science presentation and pretty "black and white"

I noted Westman's pitfalls or problems that tend to "get in the way" of "success" (not sure how he phrased it exactly...perhaps a "stall"):

Carb Creep
    Ignoring Calories
    Artificial Sweeteners
    Bad Habits
    Trigger foods
    Convenience Foods

These are the things he said people need to be aware of or address if they are not losing. Nothing new but definitely a confirmation of what is expressed so frequently in this forum.

Thanks for the summary.

Interesting that he mentions calories.

The idea that you can toss back gratuitous fat bombs of X000+ calories of coconut oil/motor oil/Vaseline with no effect on your weight (apart from "possible" GI fireworks), somehow always smelled a little of urban legend to this bird....
  • kpk54
    Options
    @RalfLott his point was IGNORING calories is a pitfall. Calories matter. Ignoring calories is a problem. Ignoring calories tends to "get in the way of success".
  • RalfLott
    Options
    @RalfLott his point was IGNORING calories is a pitfall. Calories matter. Ignoring calories is a problem. Ignoring calories tends to "get in the way of success".

I'm with you - it was the calories-don't-matter-in-keto approach I was inartfully attempting to poke fun at.
  • cstehansen
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »

I'm with you - it was the calories-don't-matter-in-keto approach I was inartfully attempting to poke fun at.

If it helps, I understood what you were saying, @RalfLott as I think we have the same sarcasm gene.
  • kpk54
    edited September 2016
    Options

Gotcha. The bird few right over my head.
  • kmn118
    kmn118 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I have no clue why I sometimes just don't feel satisfied hunger-wise until I have eaten to my specified daily calories most days... even if it's only 150 calories left. As I look at my food diary for the last time each evening to see where I have room in my macros, my brain says, "OK, you can have half an avocado or a cheese stick and all will be well." lol going with, brain hunger here, if I was betting on it!
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

Carb Creep
    Ignoring Calories
    Artificial Sweeteners
    Bad Habits
    Trigger foods
    Convenience Foods

@kpk54 Excellent summary!

Westman (sorry autocorrect in my post above)
    also mentioned as examples of keto traps:
    - alcohol is a big caloric intake.
    - various fat bombs. A lady who drank 1000 kcal in her BPC.
    - A Southern lady who fruit infused her water with 1 whole pineapple.
    In addition I think he mentioned :
    - that exercise "stalls" weight loss but might lead to positive body changes.
    - Exercise lowers blood glucose...If done right.
    - Be pragmatic. Let the diet work for you, not the other way. If can't afford grass fed yada-yada. then buy what you can afford.
    Don't let perfect be the enemy of good.

I really wish someone is able to record that interview with Westmark. Pure gold for both noob and oldies alike!
  • RalfLott
    Options
    @Foamroller - See my comment above on saving vids for future viewing.
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    From Louise Hendon at the Keto Summit:

But also, a quick update about the Encore Days.

We've been very swayed by wonderful comments like "Jason Fung has changed my life" and "thank you for the interview with Dr. Cate because I consider her information on a whole other level and dispensed in a a real way."

We really want the amazing wisdom of these experts to reach as many people as possible.

So...

For the encore days, we'll be replaying ALL the talks - that's 48 hours of replay for all 35 videos! You could potentially binge watch them all :)

In return, I'd like to ask one favor of you - please please share this summit with all your family and friends - tell them which talk has been your favorite and make sure they go watch it during the encore days (Oct 5 & 6).

Just tell them to go register at:

-->> http://ketosummit.com
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options

Gotcha. The bird few right over my head.

Where is that sarcasm font? Kitties and memes aplenty, but we still lack this essential font.
  • MiamiDawn
    MiamiDawn Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Glad they are doing an encore. I missed the first and last days speakers.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    I just went ahead and purchased access to both series since I have seen few of the keto series because my current research is more focused on Alzheimer's and cancer but I noted a lot of cross references on the subjects from both series. For research I really need the transcripts since I do not hear or spell well. :)
  • supergal3
    supergal3 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    MiamiDawn wrote: »
    Glad they are doing an encore. I missed the first and last days speakers.
    I'm glad as well. Very time consuming to listen to all that is put out in one day.
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    I just went ahead and purchased access to both series since I have seen few of the keto series because my current research is more focused on Alzheimer's and cancer but I noted a lot of cross references on the subjects from both series. For research I really need the transcripts since I do not hear or spell well. :)

What's the second series you're watching?
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Twibbly wrote: »

What's the second series you're watching?

"Awakening from Alzheimer's" video series - Keto diets

Below is an overview session of the series.

event.awakeningfromalzheimers.com/pilot-evergreen/