Pumpkin season may be the death of me...

124»

Replies

• MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    MyriiStorm wrote: »
    Finally did the nutrition analysis on my favorite pumpkin soup recipe, so here goes:
    I am definitely trying this when I get home. It looks simple enough for me to make. Thanks for sharing!

My pleasure. And since you only use half the can/bottle of beer, you can enjoy the other half as you're cooking! :p
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Just FYI, not to traumatize anyone, but there is great debate as to what is actually in that can of 100% pumpkin. Most of it seems to be a different "variety" of pumpkin that may or may not be the traditionally expected pumpkin.

Fun snopes article. http://www.snopes.com/canned-pumpkin-isnt-actually-pumpkin/

But really, squash or pumpkin, as long as it's all still low carb, do we care?

I'm always skeptical of things in cans but making pumpkin puree from scratch is a real pain, especially when it's not pumpkin season. I've found that butternut squash is not only available year round, it's easier to deal with than pumpkin and a good substitute for pumpkin in things like pancakes and muffins. And starting from scratch, you know what you're getting.

Just nuke the butternut squash for a minute or two before carving or risk knife wounds. (Ask me how I know.)
  • ruffneck813
    ruffneck813 Posts: 98 Member
    I might actually try and make pumpkin puree from fresh pumpkin. I bought a food processor about 8 months ago for all the delicious recipes I see on here and haven't had a chance to use it yet. It's pumpkin season so maybe I'll give it a try. :smiley:
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    edited October 2016
    This! http://mariamindbodyhealth.com/pumpkin-swirl-cheesecake/

The crust she uses had coconut in it, but I was seriously planning to make it crustless next time. I didn't swirl it, just mixed the filling all together, and it was dang tasty. I made it in the tiny Mason jars and the ones I froze were still good (I ate them within a month or so).
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    I might actually try and make pumpkin puree from fresh pumpkin. I bought a food processor about 8 months ago for all the delicious recipes I see on here and haven't had a chance to use it yet. It's pumpkin season so maybe I'll give it a try. :smiley:

It's super easy and freezes really well, you get a lot from those little pumpkins. I've found buttercup squash to be incredibly delicious as well. Tried growing my own this year but the bugs destroyed them so I only got four :(
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    I love winter squashes, and I don't need to be so low carb that I can't have squash/pumpkin.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    We have 4 squash of various types and 2.5 pumpkins of various varieties in the house right now. Just had pumpkin coconut curry with chicken for supper (I skipped the rice and naan). Probably grilled pumpkin or squash tomorrow. 2 of the squashes are spaghetti squash so we will do a casserole.

I'm planning on a low carb pumpkin pie for thanksgiving next weekend. Or possibly a pumpkin cheesecake.
  • gypsy8080
    gypsy8080 Posts: 25 Member
    If anyone likes pumpkin spice, then I recommend this: https://nmpinoncoffee.com/product/pumpkin-spice-flavored-coffee-12oz/ This has become a weekend delight for me, and since I live in NM, I can find it easily. It's like autumn in a cup for me.

I make a crustless low-carb pumpkin cheesecake every year, and it's pretty good. Nothing is as good as the real deal, but hey, it helps the cravings.
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    I baked my ONE tiny pumpkin the deer didn't get this year today. It's cooling now. Gonna make a smoothie in the morning for bfast I think. Either that or I might experiment with the carbquik pancakes and the pumpkin, spices.
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    The best part of making your own pumpkin: roasted savory pumpkin seeds! Yum! My son actually made these.
    fpjrciwdzxz6.jpg