TEAM FIVE

Options

Replies

• MiamiSeoul
    MiamiSeoul Posts: 1,809 Member
    Options
    WEEK FOUR: LET'S RACE DOWN UNDER!

CHALLENGE #1: JUMPING ROPE (10 points)
    AT LEAST THREE TIMES, 10 MINUTES EACH (30 MINUTES)!
    Due to my bulging disks, I'm using a modification from the video - knee lifts w/arms at 90°, using one pound weights.
    10/30 minutes

CHALLENGE #2: ARMS (10 points)
    TOTAL ARM EXERCISE (11:55 minutes) WITH WEIGHTS
    Completed x
    AMAZING ARMS QUICK BURN WORKOUT (7:51 minutes): WITHOUT WEIGHTS
    Completed M, 11/7/16
    THEN CHOOSE YOUR FAVORITE & REPEAT (as a 3rd video)
    Completed x

CHALLENGE #3: “The Beauty of Color!” (5 points)
    EAT TWO DIFFERENT COLORS PER DAY FOR FIVE DAYS.
    YOU MUST USE AT LEAST FIVE COLORS (RED, ORANGE, YELLOW-ORANGE, GREEN, GREEN-WHITE, WHITE-GREEN, BLUE, RED-PURPLE, BROWN)!
    M: white-green, onion & Romaine Lettuce & pickle + yellow-orange, an orange + red, tomato + brown, wheat sub roll

Minutes/Miles
    7 Nov. 228 minutes (173 minutes walking + 7 minutes AMAZING ARMS QUICK BURN WORKOUT + 10 minutes 30 Day Abs + Legs + Glutes Challenge + 27 minutes day 2, level 2 30 Day Shred + 10 minutes jumping rope w/modification + 110 second plank)

BTW, I've seen Finding Nemo, own the DVD, love it & watch it to this day!

• RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    I'm impressed with all of you who already knocked out the jump rope challenge! The high impact of regular jump rope will be too hard on my joints, so I'm going with modifications. I did the first 10 minutes in the pool after aquasize today and plan to do another 10 tomorrow. Jumping rope movements with the water resistance was actually quite a good workout! I may do some of the remainder with the high knees and arm circles shown on the video. (Basically jump rope movements without the rope.)

The colors for food shouldn't be a problem for me as I normally eat a highly plant-based diet.
    Monday -
    zucchini, arugula, peppers, kale, cabbage, brussels sprouts (green)
    mushrooms, banana, rice (white)
    beans (brown)
    tomato (red)
    radicchio, cranberries (red-purple)

I also ate a corn tortilla (yellow), some cod fish (white) and some turkey (white-ish). It's easier to categorize the fruits and veggies than grains and proteins.
  • My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    Monday: 297 minutes
  • MiamiSeoul
    Options
    My_Butt wrote: »
    Monday: 297 minutes

Done
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 2,092 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Yes, I've decided that jumping rope pretty much sucks, and I've had to modify mine too because jumping is not kind to my back or my knees. And I'm super uncoordinated. I might end up going with some of the alternative exercises instead if it is too bad (probably the high knees one too, and maybe something else). Trying to gut it out on the jump rope though...I'd like to get better at it, but I'm emulating more of the second video (what not to do) than the first. Of course, I only have a length of rope, not a real jump rope with handles, so that could be some of my issue. :/

The arm videos were also killer on my shoulders - especially the second one (and I typically do my arms and leg strength training on MWF, so two days in a row for arms isn't great). I need to do one of the videos again (probably the first one), since I looked at the alternative, and a lot of those moves were bad for me too. I did some Radio Taiso to stretch my arms and shoulders after those videos (Thank goodness for last week's challenges!!). Will have to wait to do the extra video until tomorrow, even though I wanted to knock out the challenge today. But at least I'm 2/3 done!! :)

This is a rough challenge week, IMO, and I was all excited about Australia, but I have to say the challenges aren't very user friendly for me this time. The alternatives only aggravate other parts of my body, so they aren't really that helpful. The food thing is so freaking confusing without a single designated chart to use. The latest link she posted has dairy on the chart/write up, but when she answered my question in the Q&A thread, she said the challenge was only for fruits, vegetables and grains/legumes...so now I have to wonder, which is it?! *Continuing to bang my head on my desk* I'm sure I'm over-thinking it...I could overthink a plate of beans...but IMO just set a standard and have us all adhere to it, don't give us 5 different options for trying to figure out the color stuff and have us hope that we got it right. I mean, I'm not really going to have an issue meeting the goal even if it is most restrictive to fruits and veggies and grains, but it bothers me when things are so wishy washy/confusing. :confounded:

But we are the Fab Five, and this too shall pass, and I will still get them all done!! Thanks for allowing a little bit of ranting. Hugs all around. High Fives too! ;)
  • rusgolden
    rusgolden Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    @b3achy - Yes, it can be confusing and some challenges can be difficult, but it very difficult for the race leaders to make everyone happy each week. I will say that from my experience in the last race, they want this to be fun and motivating and at the same time challenging.

Don't overthink it, for the food challenge, the goal is to be eating healthier foods, which in most cases are fruits, vegetables, grains and legumes. The color chart kind of forces us to not just eat apples and corn for 5 days and call it good, but instead to maybe try new foods or get us out of our normal behavior/comfort zone and try something else. I think I also saw Dark Chocolate and Wine on one of the lists as well, but I don't feel those are in the "spirit" of the challenge.

On the physical challenges, if the alternative options also are an issue, then send @hawkins410 a PM and offer up another doable exercise/workout. They want everyone to succeed in this, but we still need to work for it.
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Week 4: Let's Race Down Unda

Challenge 1: Jump rope or Hopscotch 30 minutes
    Challenge 2: Total Arm Workout, Quick Burn Arms, repeat favorite
    Challenge 3: 2 colors per day x 5 days- 5 different colors
    Day 1: Brown (Pinto Beans), Green (Cilantro), White (White Corn Tortillas), Yellow (Lemonade)
    Total colors used: 4
    After reading the Q&A thread on this challenge, I'm more confused than ever. White, tan, brown, white-green, green-white, no yellow? Bananas are white, not yellow, but not in the original picture? :confounded: I guess I'll just post what I think I eat and you can all correct me if you don't agree and I'll try to make up anything that is missing Saturday/Sunday after I post for verification.

Minutes:
    Monday - 45 minutes

• MiamiSeoul
    Options
    How do you log being glued to the tv full of red wine & brie?!?!
  • KatKat1209
    KatKat1209 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    MiamiSeoul wrote: »
    How do you log being glued to the tv full of red wine & brie?!?!

I would log it as exercise minutes since your heartbeat probably goes quite high watching this drama ;)
    Though the Wine & Brie will probably even it out... :grimace:
  • KatKat1209
    Options
    For the challenges:

#1: jump rope:
    5/30 min done - but I would like to switch to the alternative since I really get a headache from all this jumping (it feels like my brain is thrown around hard in my head.. no fun... ) You think that's acceptable for me to switch?

#2: total arm challenge:
    1/3 done

#3 eat the rainbow:
    3/5 days
    Mon:
    Red-purple: strawberries
    brown: oats, flaxseed, chia
    Tue:
    Wed:
    Red: Tomatoes
    Green: cucumber
    Brown: oats, flaxseed, chia

#4 Personal challenge week 4:
    2/7 - 90mins workout daily

So offtopic now:

I'm curious: What do you think will be outcome for today's election? Who is your favorite?

I really think Trump is an a** - and definitely wouldn't vote for him. But in all honesty - even though she would be the first female president of the USA I don't like Hillary Clinton as well.. Don't know but I feel that she's the typical rich, white woman that is to far from the "normal" world to begin with... Honestly she reminds me of Emily Gilmore in Gilmore Girls.. :smiley:
    If you think it's to political - feel free to ignore :wink:
  • MiamiSeoul
    Options
    KatKat1209 wrote: »
    For the challenges:

#1: jump rope:
    5/30 min done - but I would like to switch to the alternative since I really get a headache from all this jumping (it feels like my brain is thrown around hard in my head.. no fun... ) You think that's acceptable for me to switch?

#2: total arm challenge:
    1/3 done

#3 eat the rainbow:
    3/5 days
    Mon:
    Tue:
    Wed:
    Red: Tomatoes
    Green: cucumber
    Brown: oats, flaxseed, chia

#4 Personal challenge week 4:
    2/7 - 90mins workout daily

So offtopic now:

I'm curious: What do you think will be outcome for today's election? Who is your favorite?

I really think Trump is an a** - and definitely wouldn't vote for him. But in all honesty - even though she would be the first female president of the USA I don't like Hillary Clinton as well.. Don't know but I feel that she's the typical rich, white woman that is to far from the "normal" world to begin with... Honestly she reminds me of Emily Gilmore in Gilmore Girls.. :smiley:
    If you think it's to political - feel free to ignore :wink:

Hot topic - maybe a little too hot for this group. You make an interesting point; however, you fault Hillary for being wealthy but don't lump Donald in that category? He claims to be a billionaire, although we'll never know since we never saw his tax returns.

• KatKat1209
    Options
    MiamiSeoul wrote: »
    Hot topic - maybe a little too hot for this group. You make an interesting point; however, you fault Hillary for being wealthy but don't lump Donald in that category? He claims to be a billionaire, although we'll never know since we never saw his tax returns.

Sigh.. I guessed so...
    Though I'm not exactly blaming Hillary Clinton for being rich (and I'm blaming Donald Trump for a lot more not just being rich). I don't think that being rich is bad - just saying that the picture I have of her just seems so far off from being down to earth and understanding for the problems of the majority. But that's simply my personal impression.
    If I were from the US I wouldn't be happily voting for her (but I would!)
    Maybe that's because I like the current President and First Lady too much - they are fabulous (not perfect - nobody is) and how they rock their last weeks of Presidency.. just awesome :smiley:
  • KatKat1209
    Options
    I'm laughing about the color challenge right now - just at me - not about the confusion others are experiencing. My husband does all the cooking. I didn't even tell him about this color challenge because he always cooks a wide variety of food (all from scratch - he's amazing). So tonight I look down at my plate and what do I see - cauliflower, sautéed mushrooms, baked potato. ALL WHITE. Unbelievable. I had a yellow apple for a snack today so voila - yellow!!!!

My calves have been screaming at me all day from all the jump rope yesterday. Glad I powered through it and finished though.

The arm workout is AMAZING. I have weak upper body strength so I very much appreciate that challenge.

@MiamiSeoul your comment about red wine cracked me up. Must admit - I wondered the same thing!

Haha.. well luckily you had the apple before - maybe tell your husband about this part of challenge for tomorrow :) not that you're only eating green tomorrow.. ;)
  • sue_01
    sue_01 Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Rainbow food list:

Monday- green lettuce
    red- radishes, raspberries
    orange- orange, yellow peppers, carrots
    purple- cabbage
    white- bananas

Tuesday-green celery, cucumbers( skin on)
    brown- whole grain
    red- promegranate, raspberries
    white- onions

No jump rope yet!
    Arm challenge- started but not complete

Minutes- Monday-110 minutes
    Tuesday- 89 minutes

* Still not feeling up to a 100%.
  • My_Butt
    Options
    Tuesday colors: red apple, orange carrots, green beans and green peas, yellow corn, and orange orange (haha).
  • My_Butt
    Options
    Tuesday: 246 minutes
  • rusgolden
    Options
    Great job everyone! Keep it up... We need to stay unified as a team in this endeavor, so I think we should leave politics out of the conversation. Kat, I appreciate your insight on the view from outside the US, but our country is so divided right now and I've already seen hurtful things said on FB that I don't think it will help if we begin that discussion on here.
  • rusgolden
    Options
    My_Butt wrote: »
    Tuesday: 246 minutes

Got it.
  • Dory_42
    Dory_42 Posts: 3,587 Member
    Options
    Sorry team, but I am unlikely to get the 20 points from the exercise challenges. I had planned to do them today, but after a night of little to no sleep thanks to a vicious stomach bug, I have spent most of the day in bed recovering. I'm still a bit tender but much better. I leave for holiday tomorrow and there is very little chance I will get to those things while I am away. The food one is no problem.