Duodenal ulcers and keto/LCHF

Options
Shadowmf023
Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
I haven't posted here in a while, I've been ill. Diagnosed with a possible forming duodenal ulcer. I've been prescribed Ulsanic and Omez (40mg a day).

I'm wondering if anyone had their symptoms improve/ulcer healed on keto? Or LCHF (<50g net carbs a day or 70g total carbs a day).

If so, what foods did you generally stick to? And how often did you eat?

Have any of you even dealt with this? Lol I hope so. Because I can't stand it anymore. :cry:

Replies

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Ugh, be careful with Ulsanic & Omeprazole - both are tough on the liver. Are you taking any antibiotics for Helicobacter pylori?
    "Infection with Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori)
    Infection with H. pylori is the cause in about 19 in 20 cases of duodenal ulcer. More than a quarter of people in the UK become infected with H. pylori at some stage in their lives. Once you are infected, unless treated, the infection usually stays for the rest of your life. In many people it causes no problems and a number of these bacteria just live harmlessly in the lining of the stomach and duodenum. However, in some people this bacterium causes an inflammation in the lining of the stomach or duodenum. This causes the defence mucous barrier to be disrupted (and in some cases the amount of acid to be increased) which allows the acid to cause inflammation and ulcers." patient.info/health/duodenal-ulcer

Some home remedies to help: fresh cabbage juice, 1 tbsp coconut oil 2x/day, licorice tea or capsules (helps the stomach/intestines form more mucous barrier), capsaicin in cayenne (cuts stomach acid, builds mucosal lining).

Also suggested - 3 bananas a day (def not KETO) - they have antibacterial compounds that inhibit H. pylori.
  • Shadowmf023
    Options
    Nope no antibiotics. I am on this medication for a month. I was just told to stay away from spicy food and to eat frequently. I was wondering if the fat would help since it takes so long to digest. Might give the acid something to burn on that isn't my ulcer. Lol

It's still busy forming they think - (because I haven't had an endoscopy but I have all the symptoms of one). It hasn't bled, thank goodness. But the heartburn is killing me. And this insane bloatedness even if I don't eat (and it goes away if I do eat?!)... I also have a ring sometimes of pain around my lower abdomen, through my hips and into my lower back. They also think that's also because of the ulcer, because of it's location.

It's common to lose weight when you have one - I'm gaining weight because it feels better when there's food in my stomach.
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    I can't advise, but I'm sorry your guts are all *kitten* up, my friend. :(
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    Options

Me too. :disappointed:
  • Shadowmf023
    Options
    Lol oh well, at least you made me laugh. :lol:
    baconslave wrote: »

Me too. :disappointed:

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    I haven't posted here in a while, I've been ill. Diagnosed with a possible forming duodenal ulcer. I've been prescribed Ulsanic and Omez (40mg a day).

I'm wondering if anyone had their symptoms improve/ulcer healed on keto? Or LCHF (<50g net carbs a day or 70g total carbs a day).

Have any of you even dealt with this? Lol I hope so. Because I can't stand it anymore. :cry:

Hi, @Shadowmf023. My condolences - no fun when your guts are messed up! Fooey :s

I still have rare attacks of "Don't go out in white pants" syndrome, but it's pretty much all cleared up. As far as I can figure, these are the main changes that might have helped, in (possible) order of perceived importance...
    1. Switched from generic metformin to name-brand Glucophage;
    2. Stopped eating all wheat (and other grains) - If you haven't already ruled this out.... according to Dr. Tom O'Bryan (fat & keto summit), a majority of folks in the US have celiac disease or gluten intolerance, and eating any conspicuous amount of wheat can "tear the cheesecloth" that is your gut lining. He reckons 6 months' worth of total abstention from anything containing wheat should allow your leaky lining to repair itself. Meanwhile, if you've recently had any wheat from any source, you might want to consider lab tests. Of course, there could be a different food intolerance in play;
    3. Stopped eating other carbs not from low-carb dairy or above-ground vegetables;
    4. Waited a while....and waited a little more.... (seemed like it took longer than it really did);
    5. Stopped taking PPIs (I was also on omeprazole).

Best of luck - keep us posted, eh?
  • Shadowmf023
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »

Hi, @Shadowmf023. My condolences - no fun when your guts are messed up! Fooey :s

I still have rare attacks of "Don't go out in white pants" syndrome, but it's pretty much all cleared up. As far as I can figure, these are the main changes that might have helped, in (possible) order of perceived importance...
    2. Stopped eating all wheat (and other grains) - If you haven't already ruled this out.... according to Dr. Tom O'Bryan (fat & keto summit), a majority of folks in the US have celiac disease or gluten intolerance, and eating any conspicuous amount of wheat can "tear the cheesecloth" that is your gut lining. He reckons 6 months' worth of total abstention from anything containing wheat should allow your leaky lining to repair itself. Meanwhile, if you've recently had any wheat from any source, you might want to consider lab tests. Of course, there could be a different food intolerance in play;
    3. Stopped eating other carbs not from low-carb dairy or above-ground vegetables;
    4. Waited a while....and waited a little more.... (seemed like it took longer than it really did);

So as I read this - keto might be a good thing, yes? I'm going to have an experimental keto day tomorrow to see how I handle it. I've been eating more Paleo ish prior to this problem.

As for the meds, I suppose I could also try going one day without. But geez I'm afraid. I feel like I burn up if I do. Lol like the pits of hell are in my stomach. :lol:
  • Shadowmf023
    Options
    Oh also, another problem is that I wake up.in the night with heart burn. Insane burn. Every night. For the last 2 weeks. It's either heart burn or stomach pain - colic-like cramps. That's with the medicine - can't imagine what it would be like without... :confounded:
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options

This
  • canadjineh
    Options
    @Shadowmf023 re: heartburn at night. Something that helped my aunt with GERD: Try raising the head of your bed a few inches so you are on a slight slant. Keeps the gastric juices where they belong instead of leaking up the pipe.
    Good luck. :'(
  • Shadowmf023
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    @Shadowmf023 re: heartburn at night. Something that helped my aunt with GERD: Try raising the head of your bed a few inches so you are on a slight slant. Keeps the gastric juices where they belong instead of leaking up the pipe.
    Good luck. :'(

@canadjineh My heartburn actually doesn't come into my throat/chest, it's just an insane burn in my stomach itself. I just couldn't think of another name for it. Lol

I ordered some liquorice tea online btw, it should be here by Monday. I'm also doing an experimental keto day today, without meds.

I've had some discomfort this morning, but it was bearable and cold water helped a lot. Also - le sigh. Midnight snacking. Lol, I got up this morning and ate a piece of cheese and half a glas of milk (it was all I had that was keto-ish), and I slept fine the rest of the night.

If today goes well, I'll make myself some keto muffins to snack on. Just need to plan for it. :smile:
  • canadjineh
    Options
  • Shadowmf023
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »

The one I ordered is from Phyto Force - it's a loose leaf tea. :)
  • RalfLott
    Options

So as I read this - keto might be a good thing, yes? I'm going to have an experimental keto day tomorrow to see how I handle it. I've been eating more Paleo ish prior to this problem.

As for the meds, I suppose I could also try going one day without. But geez I'm afraid. I feel like I burn up if I do. Lol like the pits of hell are in my stomach. :lol:

Ay, it might indeed be a good thing, but a day's experiment may not offer much insight, especially if your stomach's normal chemistry has been modified by the PPIs.

Could you drop as many carbs, dairy, and other usual suspects, stop eating early in the evening/late afternoon, and basically do a simple elimination diet for a couple weeks? Filter all your H20 (a long shot).

Just out of curiosity - how were you diagnosed? Endoscopy? Sounds like you haven't had a recent test for H. Pylori.... Any chance it could be gastritis from NSAIDs or distress caused by some other med?

Have you tried anything less drastic than PPIs? (Like Pepto Bismol liquid?)

It certainly sounds unpleasant - hope there's a simple fix!!
  • Shadowmf023
    Options

Ay, it might indeed be a good thing, but a day's experiment may not offer much insight, especially if your stomach's normal chemistry has been modified by the PPIs.

Could you drop as many carbs, dairy, and other usual suspects, stop eating early in the evening/late afternoon, and basically do a simple elimination diet for a couple weeks? Filter all your H20 (a long shot).

Just out of curiosity - how were you diagnosed? Endoscopy? Sounds like you haven't had a recent test for H. Pylori.... Any chance it could be gastritis from NSAIDs or distress caused by some other med?

I highly doubt it's a food intolerance. I've never in my life had any problems with dairy (when following keto I ate a lot of dairy and was just peachy) or gluten. I usually have dinner at 6 or 7pm. Breakfast is really early, as soon as I wake up to keep the acid from killing me. (6am)

My water is filtered anyway.

I was going to do an endoscopy if the symptoms didn't improve with the medication, but they did. I've had blood tests prior to this issue for vitamin deficiencies, but I guess H. Pylori won't show up on them. The doctors just kind of diagnosed me based on the symptoms.

Before this started, I had a lot of pain from an irritated colon (supposedly from aloe juice). I got probiotics for that, some herbal remedy for the bloat, Bevispas. I wasn't on pain medication - save for Mag Phos tissue salts. And while that was being treated, the other symptoms started.

At first I thought it was just very bad hunger because I wasn't able to eat very well because I had pain. Bad hunger usually feels like a fire burning in my stomach. But it didn't go away and started waking me up in the middle of the night (it was really bad - like I was rolling around in pain for hours and crying) that's when I went to the doctors and got the diagnoses.

• RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options

Yep....this for sure.
  • RalfLott
    Options

I highly doubt it's a food intolerance. I've never in my life had any problems with dairy (when following keto I ate a lot of dairy and was just peachy) or gluten. I usually have dinner at 6 or 7pm. Breakfast is really early, as soon as I wake up to keep the acid from killing me. (6am)

My water is filtered anyway.

I was going to do an endoscopy if the symptoms didn't improve with the medication, but they did. I've had blood tests prior to this issue for vitamin deficiencies, but I guess H. Pylori won't show up on them. The doctors just kind of diagnosed me based on the symptoms.

Before this started, I had a lot of pain from an irritated colon (supposedly from aloe juice). I got probiotics for that, some herbal remedy for the bloat, Bevispas. I wasn't on pain medication - save for Mag Phos tissue salts. And while that was being treated, the other symptoms started.

At first I thought it was just very bad hunger because I wasn't able to eat very well because I had pain. Bad hunger usually feels like a fire burning in my stomach. But it didn't go away and started waking me up in the middle of the night (it was really bad - like I was rolling around in pain for hours and crying) that's when I went to the doctors and got the diagnoses.

Yowza.... that's just horrible!! I'm drawing blanks at this point, but I'll keep my eyes peeled. <3<3
  • Shadowmf023
    Options
    Okay I couldn't do it. It's 15:51 now and I had to take meds. I felt the burning start, and I didn't want to give it a chance to get so bad that I'm in agony for hours again. Also broke my keto day with yoghurt (sweetened, it's all I had).

I have a bunch of non-keto food in the house right now, I think I'll finish those, because I don't want to waste them - they'll last me about half a week more.

And then I'll continue on with Keto anyway. I guess it can't hurt, well, maybe the extra salt can. I don't know. :(
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I always go for bentonite with any stomach/digestion issues...I get the liquid (hydrated) version, but you can also find is as a powder and mix with juice/milk if you prefer...hydrated with water is has pretty much no flavor.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    Okay I couldn't do it. It's 15:51 now and I had to take meds. I felt the burning start, and I didn't want to give it a chance to get so bad that I'm in agony for hours again. Also broke my keto day with yoghurt (sweetened, it's all I had).

I have a bunch of non-keto food in the house right now, I think I'll finish those, because I don't want to waste them - they'll last me about half a week more.

And then I'll continue on with Keto anyway. I guess it can't hurt, well, maybe the extra salt can. I don't know. :(

*kitten* I'm so sorry :( liquid Pepto-Dismal? That was my go-to back when....