Living it up for 2 days

Options
MKknits
MKknits Posts: 184 Member
Now my stomach is reminding me why I'm doing this. Don't regret my choices because I need a few of these "cheat days' to make this work for a long time ...but ready to be back to keto tomorrow. I'll be interested to see how long it takes me to get back to ketosis this week.

Replies

• kfat1
    kfat1 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Right there with ya!!!!!! Back to keto tomorrow hoping it doesn't take long to recover, ugh
  • sceleste54
    sceleste54 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Me too !! I hope its just water weight but I'm up 3 lbs :(
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    sceleste54 wrote: »
    Me too !! I hope its just water weight but I'm up 3 lbs :(

More than likely, especially if there was a fair amount of carbs and liquid involved. I'll likely pick up close to ten pounds on my refeed next Saturday, though I'll also be doing a tension lift prior to it to be completely depleted. Glycogen supercompensation can get ridiculous on the scale, when you put close to 1000g of carbs into yourself within 30 hours. xD
  • moonlights
    moonlights Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    How long does it take you to get the 10lbs off, @gallowmere ?

There are always people on low carb forums talking about how they had a massive cheat day and broke a stall/dropped 2lb the next day - it never happens for me. A cheat day means a 7lb gain and a week taking it off again. It's one of the more frustrating things about this diet through conversely it's helpful to keep me on the straight and narrow as I know what the consequences of cheats are.
  • Gallowmere1984
    edited November 2016
    Options
    moonlights wrote: »
    How long does it take you to get the 10lbs off, @gallowmere ?

There are always people on low carb forums talking about how they had a massive cheat day and broke a stall/dropped 2lb the next day - it never happens for me. A cheat day means a 7lb gain and a week taking it off again. It's one of the more frustrating things about this diet through conversely it's helpful to keep me on the straight and narrow as I know what the consequences of cheats are.

It depends. If I maintain carb intake (which I will after this refeed, as I'll be moving into a maintenance level diet break), it doesn't come back off. This is by design, not a consequence.

However, if/when I resume a sub-20g diet, it's gone within about three days.
  • annalisbeth74
    annalisbeth74 Posts: 328 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    MKknits wrote: »
    Now my stomach is reminding me why I'm doing this.

Omg, this was me all day yesterday after Thanksgiving. I know it was only one meal (and WAAAAAY too much dessert), but I was sick all day. It'll be a long time before I cheat again.

• MKknits
    Options

Omg, this was me all day yesterday after Thanksgiving. I know it was only one meal (and WAAAAAY too much dessert), but I was sick all day. It'll be a long time before I cheat again.

Same here...the sugar is what bothered me the most, the carbs (like stuffing) didn't seem to bother me as much.
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Yep Cheat with refined sugars/high carbs makes me SICK!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    This can happen even if you don't eat the high carb foods.
    I normally aim to be zero carb/carnivore. I "cheated" with a big plate full of cauliflower loaded with cheese and a leftover plate the next day too. Plus some low carb cheesecake I made that had a pecan and coconut flour crust.
    All this fiber doesn't agree with me.
    I'm sure I stayed in ketosis and I still have a 4 pound gain from simply overeating and a grumbly tummy from all that fiber.
    Oh. I also may or may not have drank a bottle and a half of wine...
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options

Same here...the sugar is what bothered me the most, the carbs (like stuffing) didn't seem to bother me as much.

That, I can definitely appreciate and back up anecdotally. I tried to do a refeed once with a bunch of sugary cereal and fruit. I felt like utter dogcrap for an entire week. The following week I switched to bagels, potatoes, and plain Rice Chex, and with the same quantities, all went as planned.
  • MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I actually feel better today than I thought I would after eating All The Food on Thursday and had lots of adult beverages with it. However, I have not braved the scale yet. I'm being (mostly) good today, so I might get on the little menace tomorrow. Off to a Beer Advent Calendar party tonight. :)
  • 40DayFit
    40DayFit Posts: 246 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Ha. My "cheat" was a sole bite of the beautiful German potato dumpling I left on my plate, sitting on a bed of (strangely) sweetened sauerkraut I also left on the plate. The pan sauce on my pork roast might have had a starch binder, but there was so little I ate that too. The next day, heating pierogis for my partner, I felt the first "want" for an offplan food since I started keto. I told myself no... But my slight foray into "a bite" only 6 weeks in is perhaps too soon, and too slippery a slope. So I'm here with empathy and a bit more awareness of my own potential to go offplan before I'm ready.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    @40DayFit... the strangely sweet sauerkraut is traditionally made with apple juice (Bavarian style).
  • 40DayFit
    Options
    That's right, @canadjineh! For some reason, it was just much sweeter to taste than I remember. I think my taste buds are changing. I LOVE sauerkraut, including this meltingly-cooked style, and was so sad to leave it behind.
  • MKknits
    Options
    3 days off keto and gained 4 lbs....can't wait to see how long it takes to get back to ketosis and lose that weight. Pee sticks confirmed not in ketosis this AM.
  • 40DayFit
    Options
    3 days off keto and gained 4 lbs....can't wait to see how long it takes to get back to ketosis and lose that weight. Pee sticks confirmed not in ketosis this AM.

I want to ask a question but really, truly want to emphasize that I mean absolutely no judgement or snark. You might know that I'm fairly new to keto, approaching my 2nd month. I'm wondering if your choice to go off-plan was planned? Do you feel that the carb foods you enjoyed was worth the work needed to release to additional lbs and re-enter ketosis? I'm guessing some of the scale weight is water, but the question remains.

IF you care to answer, I'd love to hear your reflections. I totally understand if you'd rather not.
  • coloradoartstudio
    coloradoartstudio Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I did not cheat at all on Thanksgiving other than consuming more calories than I should have, but yesterday we went to the movies (my daughter is home for Thanksgiving weekend)...and I had a big old cheat day. It started with popcorn which I had no intention of eating until my daughter said she wanted some (I even packed nuts for myself, but when I smelled it, I knew I was toast). Then we moved on to dinner and she chose Mexican. I had margaritas, chips and salsa, and a tostada.

Once I decided to cheat, I did it with gusto and no guilt. Back on the wagon today and I'll weigh myself tomorrow. In hind sight, it was a good exercise because it didn't really do that much for me. Well, except the margaritas - :D

I think I'm good for a bit now.
  • MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    40DayFit wrote: »

I want to ask a question but really, truly want to emphasize that I mean absolutely no judgement or snark. You might know that I'm fairly new to keto, approaching my 2nd month. I'm wondering if your choice to go off-plan was planned? Do you feel that the carb foods you enjoyed was worth the work needed to release to additional lbs and re-enter ketosis? I'm guessing some of the scale weight is water, but the question remains.

IF you care to answer, I'd love to hear your reflections. I totally understand if you'd rather not.

Just speaking for myself, going off-plan for Thanksgiving was planned for me, but not to the extreme that I ended up doing. :( I had intended to stay mostly low-carb, but allow myself small portions of sweet potatoes and stuffing. To my dismay, I discovered that my willpower has an inverse relationship to the amount of alcohol I drink. I normally stick to one or two drinks a week at most, but being at the beach with family for four days. . . Well, let's just say our collective livers were put to the test. So my willpower was close to nil Thursday afternoon through Friday.

I ate LOTS of stuffing, then apple pie, then pumpkin pie. Then more of the same. Having some made me want more - a vicious cycle. Well, at least I learned a valuable lesson.
  • MKknits
    Options
    40DayFit wrote: »

For me it was planned, enjoying food with my family is something I want to fit in my lifestyle. I've been doing keto 3 weeks now and knowing myself and my tendency to become obsessed with then eventually frustrated with "diets" I wanted to give myself this time to eat in moderation. And for the most part I did that. The foods I enjoyed were worth it in every way for me because they allowed me to not feel deprived, I want to live this WOE and for me that means planning in these days...Christmas will be my next :smile:

• solska
    solska Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    You'll be fine. I went off keto for a few days with a ton of pizza, probably not too many calories over though, and my weight went up by 6+ pounds. It was gone within four-five days of being back on keto.