December Q and A thread

Options

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Regarding protein shakes: I tend to use rather inexpensive protein on the fairly rare occasion I get protein powder. Probably not the best, but it fits my budget and needs. I use a Ninja blender, with a single serving cup, and never have any issues with it clumping up. I use powder, milk, a banana, and usually frozen berries.

I've - back when I was going to the gym first thing in the morning before work, and wasn't going to have time to go back home to make breakfast - made it before the gym and drank them about an hour and a half or so later with no issues. If you're going to need to wait longer - as it sounds like you will - some Press-n-Seal would probably be a good idea, I'd think.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    I use the shaker bottle at work. Powder in first, add water, shake like Chubby Checker. Works great. That being said I use either ON or MP Combat Powder. Both dissolve easily. Heck, some times I head down to the other breakroom and add an ice cube, shake until I don't hear the ice rattling...it's like a ice cream shake.
  • taco_inspector
    taco_inspector Posts: 7,223 Member
    Options
    @nossmf , Are you working with casein protein (or is there a fair amount of casein in whatever powder you're having clumps in)?? Casein isn't water soluble, so it'll always kinda be a suspended solid.

I'm no expert on the shaker bottles, but I really don't have much luck with those springy stainless steel balls; instead I've gone to shakers with that have the 'aggressive' fixed strainers so shaking the shake actually does something (like this 'Cyclone' bottle, but in "adult" sizes) -- y'gotta leave about 30% air-space when filling these up for em to mix well, that and I always add ice...
    latest-protein-plastic-shaker-bottlecyclone-shaker-bottle.jpg
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    @nossmf , Are you working with casein protein (or is there a fair amount of casein in whatever powder you're having clumps in)?? Casein isn't water soluble, so it'll always kinda be a suspended solid...

I use Trutein, which is a whey/casein/egg blend. It mixes up fine in a shaker bottle, the only flavor I've had slight clumping issues with is the chocolate. All the rest have mixed up just fine with no clumps (although a thicker texture due to the casein, which I actually like).

@nossmf - what brand protein are you currently using? I've had no clumping issues with ON whey, Dymatize Elite (their whey/casein blend) or Trutein. I always mix just as you described - shaker bottle, powder in before the liquid (I actually use nonfat milk rather than water), and shake it up.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    @nossmf , Are you working with casein protein (or is there a fair amount of casein in whatever powder you're having clumps in)?? Casein isn't water soluble, so it'll always kinda be a suspended solid...

I use Trutein, which is a whey/casein/egg blend. It mixes up fine in a shaker bottle, the only flavor I've had slight clumping issues with is the chocolate. All the rest have mixed up just fine with no clumps (although a thicker texture due to the casein, which I actually like).

@nossmf - what brand protein are you currently using? I've had no clumping issues with ON whey, Dymatize Elite (their whey/casein blend) or Trutein. I always mix just as you described - shaker bottle, powder in before the liquid (I actually use nonfat milk rather than water), and shake it up.

Similar results, Trutein and Syntha6 I make every day with just water and shake it up, done in seconds.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,542 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    ...the only flavor I've had slight clumping issues with is the chocolate...

Hmm, possible chocolate flavor had something to do with it then, as that's my preferred flavor from working with Six Star. (I know, but I liked their short-lived ready-made shakes and thought the powder would be a good replacement when they stopped making the ready-made.) I'll stop at the local GNC to see if they have any of the brands mentioned above.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I don't do protein shakes very often, but when I do it's pea protein and I use a cheap $16 blender from target...usually with cashew or almond milk (8oz) and frozen pineapple or strawberry (handful)...I didn't ever have issues with clumping, would put them in the blender milk, powder, fruit order, then blend and consume...assuming you have access to electricity at work, a $16 blender is not as much of a theft risk as a nice appliance, not sure if that's why a blender is a problem at work or if there is no electricity.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    edited December 2016
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »

Hmm, possible chocolate flavor had something to do with it then, as that's my preferred flavor from working with Six Star. (I know, but I liked their short-lived ready-made shakes and thought the powder would be a good replacement when they stopped making the ready-made.) I'll stop at the local GNC to see if they have any of the brands mentioned above.

Designer Whey and Dymatize are great brands and tend to be my go-to's. Never had any clumping issues. I am really interested in Carbon, but it's a bit more expensive and only found on bb.com. I also really like quest, but they are expensive... but great for cooking.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Protip that I learned the hard way: avoid chunks and foam by using room temperature water to mix the shake. Obviously, this may not be a good idea for milk.
    psuLemon wrote: »

Designer Whey and Dymatize are great brands and tend to be my go-to's. Never had any clumping issues. I am really interested in Carbon, but it's a bit more expensive and only found on bb.com. I also really like quest, but they are expensive... but great for cooking.

I use Quest's powders for making sludge. The consistency is perfect, and the flavors always come through well. You haven't lived until you've had peanut butter "sludgecream" out of thr freezer, eaten with granny smith or pink lady apple slices as utensils.

That said, yeah, their prices are *kitten* stupid. $20 per pound is borderline criminal for protein powder.
  • psuLemon
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Protip that I learned the hard way: avoid chunks and foam by using room temperature water to mix the shake. Obviously, this may not be a good idea for milk.

I use Quest's powders for making sludge. The consistency is perfect, and the flavors always come through well. You haven't lived until you've had peanut butter "sludgecream" out of thr freezer, eaten with granny smith or pink lady apple slices as utensils.

That said, yeah, their prices are *kitten* stupid. $20 per pound is borderline criminal for protein powder.

I am almost finished my last container of Quest, and going to try The Protein Chef's by Labrada for baking.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I recently had a chance to sample a bunch of different flavors of PESceince whey and I'm likely to switch to this brand next. Just for what it's worth. It's amazing.
  • psuLemon
    edited December 2016
    Options
    While I fully understand what the nutritional priorities are, what are your thoughts on timing nutrients, particularly around pre- and post -workout, and spreading protein consumption out through the day (In one of Layne Norton's video, he tends to do this as a means to maximize MPS)?

I am following Wendler with some accessory lifts (although, switching the accessories as discussed earlier seems more appealing than the original, so I may do that). I was planning on an aggressive cut but after 2 weeks, life got in the way. So I figured I would just recomp since it seems to be the most appealing. My body fat is 16% = according to an 9 point caliper test (each site tested until I got 3 consistent readings). Goals is to maximize muscle and strength gains and get down to 10-12% body fat.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    timg760 wrote: »
    in MY day, our protein shakes were ALL LUMPS, and we were GRATEFUL!!!

:p

I think that's called a stew. ;)
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,542 Member
    Options
    ...not sure if that's why a blender is a problem at work or if there is no electricity.

It's a government facility, which means there are a million rules about what you are or are not allowed to plug in. Basically, before anything is plugged in it has to receive permission from multiple people, including explanations why it is mission essential, yada yada. Thanks, but no.

I would prefer using milk instead of water, but the community fridge is just that, community fridge. Lunch theft has occurred in the past, leftovers left too long without proper sealing, etc. I prefer to use an insulated lunchbox for my meal, which I don't know if I'd trust keeping milk cold or not. (I do agree to use the break room microwave.)
  • SideSteel
    Options
    While I fully understand what the nutritional priorities are, what are your thoughts on timing nutrients, particularly around pre- and post -workout, and spreading protein consumption out through the day (In one of Layne Norton's video, he tends to do this as a means to maximize MPS)?

I am following Wendler with some accessory lifts (although, switching the accessories as discussed earlier seems more appealing than the original, so I may do that). I was planning on an aggressive cut but after 2 weeks, life got in the way. So I figured I would just recomp since it seems to be the most appealing. My body fat is 16% = according to an 9 point caliper test (each site tested until I got 3 consistent readings). Goals is to maximize muscle and strength gains and get down to 10-12% body fat.

I think if the goal is optimizing muscle mass then it's likely a good idea to evenly spread protein intake throughout the day such that you're getting in at least 3 boluses of protein spaced 3-5 hours apart, probably up to 5-6 depending on how that's distributed.

As far as nutrient timing recommendations I basically would refer to Nutrient Timing Revisited (aragon/schoenfeld) and make sure you're getting in some protein within a couple of hours before/after training with the relative importance scaling according to context.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »

I think if the goal is optimizing muscle mass then it's likely a good idea to evenly spread protein intake throughout the day such that you're getting in at least 3 boluses of protein spaced 3-5 hours apart, probably up to 5-6 depending on how that's distributed.

As far as nutrient timing recommendations I basically would refer to Nutrient Timing Revisited (aragon/schoenfeld) and make sure you're getting in some protein within a couple of hours before/after training with the relative importance scaling according to context.

Thanks, that is generally want I was thinking but want to see if your experience was similar. I appreciate the input.
  • AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Random questions:

1) Is there any non-competitive (health, physique, fitness) benefit to Olympic lifting? I.e. if one has no intention of competing, would there be benefit to doing these lifts over other resistance training.

2) When progressing on band assisted chin ups, at which point to do you move to a lower strength band? I can do 3x6 with a "75 lb" band on my knee, should I wait until I can do 10, or buy the next band down at this point?
  • SideSteel
    Options
    AigreDoux wrote: »
    Random questions:

1) Is there any non-competitive (health, physique, fitness) benefit to Olympic lifting? I.e. if one has no intention of competing, would there be benefit to doing these lifts over other resistance training.

2) When progressing on band assisted chin ups, at which point to do you move to a lower strength band? I can do 3x6 with a "75 lb" band on my knee, should I wait until I can do 10, or buy the next band down at this point?

1) I would imagine yes there are benefits, but the question I would have would be whether or not the benefits would be worth the time investment to learn the skill as those are quite technically demanding. It also depends heavily on the goal.

2) What is your goal right now with regards to this? What rate of progress are you making with the 75lb band? Is it still working?
  • AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    AigreDoux wrote: »
    Random questions:

1) I would imagine yes there are benefits, but the question I would have would be whether or not the benefits would be worth the time investment to learn the skill as those are quite technically demanding. It also depends heavily on the goal.

2) What is your goal right now with regards to this? What rate of progress are you making with the 75lb band? Is it still working?

Immediate goal: complete the workouts where chin ups are called for
    Short term goal: get stronger at vertical pulling motions
    Long term goal: do an unassisted chin up (probably pretty far off, sort of in the "well, that would be cool" category but it's not a major life goal or anything)

I think I am still making progress with the 75 lb band. 2-ish months ago I could only do 4, 3, 3, now at 3x6.

I switched from the 100 lb band at around this point where I could do 6 in a row, and could only do 1-2 on the 75 lb band. This was probably 4-5 months ago, but I didn't do them some months. I started in April only able to do negatives on the 100 lb band.