Intermittent fasting vs. Keto

Options
OK, so i haven't been keto all that long, but I have been doing some thinking. The only times in my adult life I have ever lost a significant amount of weight was when I have eaten only 1x per day. Way before we knew it was called IF.

Keto is going well so far, approx 8lbs in 3 weeks. -6 wk 1, +2 wk 2, -3 wk 3. (approx values rounded from my digital scale)

So, I'm wondering, for someone without serious health issues, does IF work just as well as Keto? I'm assuming it is the limiting of the insulin releases that is the common thread here. I really get into trouble if I eat 3x per day, and prefer larger meals over snacks.

I find lots of info about keto and IF together, which I tend to fall into most days. Curious on the comparison aspect.

anyone else notice anything similar? I'm continuing keto for now, but part of me thinks it would be nice to be one of those "in moderation" people- assuming I could be. Hasn't worked out that way so far. :D

Replies

• jasperdog52554
    jasperdog52554 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Keto isn't necessary for weight loss at all. You can lower insulin without keto. Low carb works well too. But keto provides a constant state of ketosis which has less to do with weight loss and more to do with overall health benefits or therapeutic application.

If you're eating all foods in moderation you're no doubt eating somewhat low carb anyway. Especially if you're being mindful to make that one big meal nutritionally sound. So that's a big reason why IF works but there's also the fact that you go without eating and remain fasted for longer times so you start to get some benefits of fasting in there too. Which maybe has some short term ketone production. Depends on how insulin sensitive you are and how active how quickly you'll start making ketones. But it's not the ketones that create fat loss. It's fat breakdown that creates the ketones. It doesn't matter if it's fat from your butt or your cup. So if you're fasting and producing ketones, then you KNOW they came from your butt. :wink:
    That's one reason people love keto and IF. The other is because it's just super easy to do it while keto or even low carb.
    As far as trying to decide if you work within the all things in moderation method, I guess you'll have to decide how well that's ever worked before. If you can do it, and aren't looking for the therapeutic benefits of ketones, then go for it.

I prefer from my butt! :D

And also hope that anyone that sees this reads your entire post, otherwise that will sound quite inappropriate!
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    If you can naturally do IF, go for that. You can eat pretty much whatever floats your boat that way.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Good FB page for those doing any versions of IF (low carb/keto or any other WOE) Fung Shweigh inspired by Dr. Jason Fung . Lots of fasting support for all sizes and food plans. You might want to ask to join but no 'preaching' about particular ways of eating except what Doc Fung suggests ie. lower the carbs a bit to make it easier and stay away from processed stuff, eat more 'real' foods. I find it's pretty good - some inspiring people and results.
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I just this morning listened to the podcast version of Dr. Rhonda Patrick's interview with Valter Longo on his fasting mimicking diet, IF and various related topics. It is long, but worth a listen if you don't mind science... I don't think he advocated keto for all, but says it is fine, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6PyyatqJSE
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    camtosh wrote: »
    I just this morning listened to the podcast version of Dr. Rhonda Patrick's interview with Valter Longo on his fasting mimicking diet, IF and various related topics. It is long, but worth a listen if you don't mind science... I don't think he advocated keto for all, but says it is fine, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6PyyatqJSE

Great interview!

FYI, here are a few highlights about Longo and his work:
    https://www.bluezones.com/2016/04/fasting-for-longevity/

Here are notes to the YouTube vid:
    In this conversation, Rhonda and Valter discuss...
    • The effects of prolonged fasting, which refers to 2-3 day fasting intervals in mice and 4-5 days in humans.
    • Dr. Longo’s work on the fasting-mimicking diet, which is 5 day restricted diet that is meant to simulate some of the biological effects of prolonged fasting while still allowing some food.
    • How clinical trials have demonstrated efficacy for this diet for type 2 diabetes, multiple sclerosis, and cancer patients.
    • Fasting as an inducer of differential stress resistance, where it can simultaneously make cancer cells more sensitive to death while also making healthy cells more resistant to these same death stimuli (such as chemotherapy) which might otherwise induce cell death amongst healthy cells as collateral damage.
    • Fasting as a biological state which humans historically experienced with extreme regularity and we may ultimately need in order to mitigate various disease states.
    • The effects of prolonged fasting on the immune system, namely, how it clears away damaged white blood cells via autophagy and how this causes hematopoietic stem cells to self renew and make more stem cells and also produce new blood cells to fully replenish the white blood cell population.
    • How prolonged fasting causes a shift in the immune cell population towards one that is more representative of youth by normalizing the ratio of myeloid cells to lymphoid cells.
    • The positive effects of prolonged fasting and the fasting-mimicking diet on markers of systemic inflammation, blood glucose levels and other aging biomarkers.
    • The conclusions of Dr. Longo & Dr. Marcus Bock’s research comparing 1 week of the fasting-mimicking diet followed by 6 months of mediterranean diet to six months of a ketogenic diet in people with multiple sclerosis.
    • The strange, somewhat paradoxical role of autophagy genes in cancer progression and some of the open questions surrounding the exact role that these genes are playing.
    • Dr. Longo’s high level thoughts on metformin as an anti-aging drug [Wow!].
    • How the growth hormone/IGF-1 axis is one of the most important genetic pathways in aging from yeast to worms to mice to humans.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Thanks @camtosh for the video and @RalfLott for the notes. BTW, I have heard from at least 2 places previous about all cause mortality being decreased with metformin even in non-diabetic subjects. I am torn about taking it only because I want to see where I can get my BG without it first. If I stay stalled in the pre-diabetic range, I very well may opt to use it because there is correlation of increased risk of many diseases associated with diabetes that ramp up with any A1c over 5. This is one more reason I think the current guidelines as to what is pre-diabetic and diabetic are too low.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    Thanks @camtosh for the video and @RalfLott for the notes. BTW, I have heard from at least 2 places previous about all cause mortality being decreased with metformin even in non-diabetic subjects. I am torn about taking it only because I want to see where I can get my BG without it first. If I stay stalled in the pre-diabetic range, I very well may opt to use it because there is correlation of increased risk of many diseases associated with diabetes that ramp up with any A1c over 5. This is one more reason I think the current guidelines as to what is pre-diabetic and diabetic are too low.

Well when you listen to the video you will hear Londo say he would NEVER take Metformin even in his older age, for aging. His opinion is "what happens to everything else when you block something?". The comment is towards the very tail end of the video.

It was a very interesting video. Among other things, I focused on his comment/s regarding a NEED for exercise and the comment/s he made (about 4 minutes in and then again about 70 minutes in) that it is not the Mimicking Fasting Diet that is key but rather the REFEED. I believe his wording was "it is the refeeding that works-rebuilding the system" and "refeeding is the most important part". He is an advocate of a "Mediterranean" Diet.

His Mimicking Diet (A Periodic Diet that Can Mimic Fasting) can be found here: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26094889
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »

Well when you listen to the video you will hear Londo say he would NEVER take Metformin even in his older age, for aging. His opinion is "what happens to everything else when you block something?". The comment is towards the very tail end of the video.

It was a very interesting video. Among other things, I focused on his comment/s regarding a NEED for exercise and the comment/s he made (about 4 minutes in and then again about 70 minutes in) that it is not the Mimicking Fasting Diet that is key but rather the REFEED. I believe his wording was "it is the refeeding that works-rebuilding the system" and "refeeding is the most important part". He is an advocate of a "Mediterranean" Diet.

His Mimicking Diet (A Periodic Diet that Can Mimic Fasting) can be found here: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26094889

Interesting article. Full study at:
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4509734/

I think one reason he is an advocate of the Med diet and also of this fasting research is although the native population with this diet had extraordinary health, those in the west adopting it had less. When looking at the natives later, it was realized the area was predominantly Orthodox Christian and as such most fasted 1-2 days a week. Given the completely dumbfounded look most in our culture give at the mere mention of fasting, I am guessing he was looking at finding something that gave the same results without bringing up the dreaded "f" word.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Yep. LOL. That's the one I meant. Copy and pasted the wrong link.

@cstehansen He mentioned in the video he was getting great resistance to fasting with his 18 (I think) cancer patients and the medical community which is why he ended up with the "mimicking fasting" protocol.

I don't talk about diet much in my real world so don't know about dumbfounded looks but, yes. I know I would see a whole bunch of "eye rolling" if I called intermittent fasting (which I don't do) anything more than skipping breakfast. LOL.

Me: "I do 16:8 intermittent fasting. I finish my last meal by 8 PM and don't eat again until after Noon the next day".

Response: "Oh, I see. You skip breakfast".
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

Peter Attia md is taking metformin now for preventative measures, as I understand it. I'm looking into it for myself because my liver seems a little overly type A, and keeps kicking out too much sugar. I'm as low carb (under 30g/day) as I am willing to go for my life. I walk most days (that isn't minus 30 something - brrr) amd I still can't keeping my morning BG below a 5... or below a 6 half of the time.

As far as I can tell, metformin doesn't hurt... But I need to read more.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    OK, so i haven't been keto all that long, but I have been doing some thinking. The only times in my adult life I have ever lost a significant amount of weight was when I have eaten only 1x per day. Way before we knew it was called IF.

Keto is going well so far, approx 8lbs in 3 weeks. -6 wk 1, +2 wk 2, -3 wk 3. (approx values rounded from my digital scale)

So, I'm wondering, for someone without serious health issues, does IF work just as well as Keto? I'm assuming it is the limiting of the insulin releases that is the common thread here. I really get into trouble if I eat 3x per day, and prefer larger meals over snacks.

I find lots of info about keto and IF together, which I tend to fall into most days. Curious on the comparison aspect.

anyone else notice anything similar? I'm continuing keto for now, but part of me thinks it would be nice to be one of those "in moderation" people- assuming I could be. Hasn't worked out that way so far. :D

There is an OMAD (one meal a day) group that you would probably love. Stop by, watch some of Joe's videos, and introduce yourself. You will probably love it once you get through the first couple of adjustment weeks.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I do both keto and IF to me they really seem to go hand in hand. I'm usually not hungry in the morning and lunch is easy to skip. I shoot for a 20/4 fast daily. If I'm really busy at work it will turn into a 24 fast. I'm trying to get my insulin resistance under control so I don't think I will ever be one of those people that can eat whatever in moderation.

I started out 16/8 with 2 meals a day. Recently I have moved to one meal a day with a small window also.
  • KetoGirl83
    KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Great video! @camtosh thanks for sharing.

I'm glad about the good news re metformin because it looks like I'll have to keep taking it.

@cstehansen I wanted to know how far I would go without metformin too. I hope your results are better than mine. I've been decreasing the amount I take for a year or so, and stopped taking it 6 months ago, with an A1c of 4.9. I kept LC 95% of the time (Summer fruit, ::sigh::). Last A1c? 5.7. :#

So metformin is probably forever. Damn disease, always ready to up its damage one sneaky BG point at a time.

::flowerforyou::
  • mayabrooks025
    mayabrooks025 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    My A1c was 5.7 and I have a doctors appointment on Monday to discuss all of my labs. I thought 5.7 was borderline, am I wrong? Does that mean I have diabetes? I'm sure my doctor will start me on Metformin.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Perlmutter wants people at 4.8-5.4, and Wahls says to shoot for sub-5.2.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    FYI, name brand Glucophage XR can be *much* easier on your system than some of the many generic versions of metformin (in my experience, like kittens :) vs. dynamite :s ).

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10394798/t2d-glucophage-name-brand-metformin-generic
  • retirehappy
    Options
    @Debsoz, thanks for the mention of the OMAD group, I had no idea that existed. MFP is pretty huge and there is no easy way to find anything in Groups if you don't already know the titles. The vidoes are very interesting.
  • retirehappy
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Bumpity bump time.

Also I think you can do IF with any diet. Keto or lower carb WOE, I don't think you really need IF, but it does compliment it. I have just fallen into IF several days a week. I really love coffee with coconut oil blended in it. Doesn't seem to effect my weight loss/gain negatively or positive. I just enjoy have my coffee and forgetting about food for another 4 hrs. or so. YMMV