Intermittent fasting vs. Keto

Options

Replies

• blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    I do 20:4 when I'm trying to lose weight. I limit carbs as far as refined sugar and grains go but that is about as low of carbs as I get. I do limit whole grains too but don't eliminate them.

I think cal restriction, fasting, and low carb and a combinations of these are the most effective ways to lose weight.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping that will work for maintaining weight. IF and LCHF is getting me to goal, something has to keep me there once I arrive. ;)
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    Bumping time, for any newbies.
  • blambo61
    edited May 2017
    Options
    @retirehappy
    I've lost about 45-lbs and have kept it off for over a year by mostly doing a 16:8 type of diet and some 20:4 thrown in. I also found that I can maintain weight while eating all three meals if I go very low carb for breakfast and lunch while still allowing carbs in the evenings. Typical for me would be eggs and cheese for breakfast and a salad with meat for lunch.

I would still like to lose 20-lbs. I will get there by doing some fasting, some low carb breakfasts and lunches when I do eat, and also a lot of exercise. I really have not ever practiced portion control when I do eat as I eat ad libitum when I eat.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    @blambo61 has it been a year to lose the 45, and now you have 20 lbs left to go from an original 65lb goal? Or have you been maintaining for a year after the initial 45, and now have set a new goal?
  • blambo61
    edited May 2017
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »
    @blambo61 has it been a year to lose the 45, and now you have 20 lbs left to go from an original 65lb goal? Or have you been maintaining for a year after the initial 45, and now have set a new goal?

I've maintained a year after losing 45 lbs but still need to lose 20. I got light enough to do a lot of stuff I like to do exercise wise and now that I'm doing that, it sometimes interferes with my dieting so I'm losing slower. I've also got a bit lazier with the 20:4 but I'm not in a bad place right now. I lost most of my weight in about 7-months or so and have stayed at about 210 since (I actually did sneak back up to 220 twice). I haven't updated this but I'm at 210 right now and have been there without gaining for the last 3-4 months.

5smvj8qkchop.png
  • JohnnyLowCarb
    JohnnyLowCarb Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Super late to this party but for any keto, lchf newbies. Keto is a tool, IF is a tool, they can be used together or separate. I am not good at IF yet. I think I over eat coming out of an IF. I think it could be very powerful if you can not go crazy with the calories during the eating window.

• LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I'm not so good at IF at this point either. I've tried it a few times and I honestly don't get this euphoric sense of energy and non-hunger that everyone talks about. Plus I haven't noticed it doing anything regarding blood sugar. Maybe it will come in time? At this point I'm good with waiting for it to happen naturally.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    Options
    I'm not so good at IF at this point either. I've tried it a few times and I honestly don't get this euphoric sense of energy and non-hunger that everyone talks about. Plus I haven't noticed it doing anything regarding blood sugar. Maybe it will come in time? At this point I'm good with waiting for it to happen naturally.

Yeah me either. I did 2 stints of 16:8 for a month each. And then did an ADF kind of thing for a few weeks. All that netted me was learning what a cranky b!tch I can be. :lol: I still occasionally will do a spontaneous IF, but only if I'm really feeling it, and with the knowledge that if I suddenly get mega hungry before my eating window, I'm going to eat so there won't be blood. I usually make it fine. But only one day at a time. Concurrent fasting days make me exponentially crankier each day. I imagine that I would eventually explode into Taz from Looney Tunes, and the collateral damage would be extensive.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    blambo61 wrote: »
    The easiest way to do IF IMO is to do a 16:8 daily. I think that should be within just about anyone's ability, especially those that are LC. Usually when I wake up I get a small wave of hunger soon and I just drink a large glass of cool water. I usually don't get hungry tell about noon or a little later (as long as I didn't pound carbs the night before - if I do that I get hungrier a lot sooner). That is super easy for me after doing a lot of 20:4. Just ride out the couple of minutes of the 1st time you get hungry and make sure you had adequate protein the day before and it should be really easy to fast tell lunch time with just a little water.

Getting past that little wave of hunger slash wave of nausea is the hard part for me. I quell that little feeling with food, even though I know if I wait, I'll be fine.
  • blambo61
    edited June 2017
    Options
    The easiest way to do IF IMO is to do a 16:8 daily. I think that should be within just about anyone's ability, especially those that are LC. Usually when I wake up I get a small wave of hunger soon and I just drink a large glass of cool water. I usually don't get hungry tell about noon or a little later (as long as I didn't pound carbs the night before - if I do that I get hungrier a lot sooner). That is super easy for me after doing a lot of 20:4. Just ride out the couple of minutes of the 1st time you get hungry and make sure you had adequate protein the day before and it should be really easy to fast tell lunch time with just a little water.

Getting past that little wave of hunger slash wave of nausea is the hard part for me. I quell that little feeling with food, even though I know if I wait, I'll be fine.

That little morning wave of hunger only lasts like a minute or two for me and is gone as soon as I drink some water. Just drink water tell don't want anymore 1st thing in the morning and you will probably be good for at leas a couple of hours. I'm usually good tell noon or later as long as I keep drinking water. Very easy for me. Everyone is different I know. Now 20:4, I do have to work at.

If 16:8 is difficult, try 14:10 if you want to try IF. It gets easier and the more you do the easier it gets and you can extend the fast as you get more used to it.
  • LizinLowell
    LizinLowell Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    If I drink water on an empty stomach that water is coming right back up :neutral: so I drink tea with some butter in it.
  • blambo61
    Options
    sixaround1 wrote: »
    If I drink water on an empty stomach that water is coming right back up :neutral: so I drink tea with some butter in it.

Whatever works!
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »

Yeah me either. I did 2 stints of 16:8 for a month each. And then did an ADF kind of thing for a few weeks. All that netted me was learning what a cranky b!tch I can be. :lol: I still occasionally will do a spontaneous IF, but only if I'm really feeling it, and with the knowledge that if I suddenly get mega hungry before my eating window, I'm going to eat so there won't be blood. I usually make it fine. But only one day at a time. Concurrent fasting days make me exponentially crankier each day. I imagine that I would eventually explode into Taz from Looney Tunes, and the collateral damage would be extensive.

@baconslave, a memorable self-portrait!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    camtosh wrote: »
    I just this morning listened to the podcast version of Dr. Rhonda Patrick's interview with Valter Longo on his fasting mimicking diet, IF and various related topics. It is long, but worth a listen if you don't mind science... I don't think he advocated keto for all, but says it is fine, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6PyyatqJSE

Thanks for sharing this last year and those bumping it since then. That is some new info that I am actually grasping after reading so much since 2014.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    best-selling-spin-zone-bumper-cars-in-BESTON.gif
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    @canadjineh

Nice work! (Which car are you in?)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

That little morning wave of hunger only lasts like a minute or two for me and is gone as soon as I drink some water. Just drink water tell don't want anymore 1st thing in the morning and you will probably be good for at leas a couple of hours. I'm usually good tell noon or later as long as I keep drinking water. Very easy for me. Everyone is different I know. Now 20:4, I do have to work at.

If 16:8 is difficult, try 14:10 if you want to try IF. It gets easier and the more you do the easier it gets and you can extend the fast as you get more used to it.

Yup, that's exactly what I've been doing these last few days. Trying to adjust my body to it, for at least a few months.
  • Alaplum
    Alaplum Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I decided to abandon my goal for IF for now. I need to make sure my bg is stable first. I think if it happens naturally that's cool but for now, not forcing it