Anneli's journey

Options
Anneli_F
Anneli_F Posts: 76 Member
Hi everyone!
I'm Anneli from Sweden and I just found your wonderful OMAD group.

My stats:
Starting weight: 235 pounds (107 kg)
Current weight: 105,7 kg
Height: 5' 7" (175cm)

Goal weight range: 155-165 pounds (ca 70-75kg)
OMAD time: 14.00 to 15.00
OMAD start date: 8th December 2016

As I wrote in the introduction thread, I've been trying different kinds of fasting for a couple of years now, mostly 16:8 but also a few 36 hour fasts etc, as I have read a lot about the health benefits. I burned out completely 15 years ago, mostly because of a lack of sleep (sleep disturbed child) and a really difficult home and work situation. Anyway, after that my brain wasn't the same anymore, I lost a lot of my memory capacity, logical thinking and even my balance got affected.
From what I read fasting is good way to help the brain heal itself, I belive that!

Still, the biggest reason to jump on the OMAD wagon is my weight, I have never been this heavy! Nothing fits anymore and I don't want to do things. It's easier to stay at home than to go out amongst people and feel uncomfortable the whole time. Overweight isn't as common here in Sweden as it is in some of the other parts of the world (even if we are catching up) and I'm almost always the heaviest in a group. Time to change that!!

I started OMAD-ing last thursday and today was my first weigh in day, mondays is a good day I think.
I lost 1.3 kg in 4 days, hurray!!

No problems with hunger, I have done two 24 hour fasts a week for about a month prior to this, but my mood... Wow, I really wanted to hit something all weekend. A lot of emotions coming up, I think this is really a good (and hard) experience. My poor husband has been treading lightly ;)

Well, that's me :)

Replies

• arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Nice intro. You are off to a great start! Remember, this is a marathon, not a sprint. Aim to keep things even-keel and your brain will begin to remap itself...all in good time!
  • 1MADGIRL
    1MADGIRL Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Welcome!
    It takes a little getting used to so dont give up. Im sure your mood will settle eventually!

Keep us posted ;)
  • Anneli_F
    Options
    Thank you! :)

I had a bad day yesterday, in the morning I felt quite sick and in the evening I got a splitting headache and went to bed before eight. I think these regular fastings are cleansing out my body a lot more than the occasional ones I did earlier did. I don't mind the symptoms, I know they are there for a reason and that they are a good sign, but I'm glad I don't have a lot to deal with otherwise right now.

Yesterday's meal had to be something easy on the stomache and easily cooked - pasta with ham, pees and carrots and a little sweet and sour sauce. Half a banana for dessert, I was already full :)

etz4l2x2pe4i.jpg

• arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Looks yum!
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    Keep at it! It will get easier.
  • Anneli_F
    Options
    Thanks, I hope so. Yesterday was better though and today I feel fine so far.

How long did it take for you all to get past the acclimation period, when did you start feeling normal and just get on with your day?

• blambo61
    Options
    Physically, I think I jumped right into it. After about 2-3 days the stomach shrinks and I had minimal extra stuff in my guts so didn't feel bloated anymore. I have a cheat day every Saturday so I kind of go through that almost weakly but I don't remember ever feeling weak at first. If I ever had a super bad day, I would just eat earlier and not worry about it. Now if that happens, I take a little bit of coconut oil which gets me through and doesn't increase the appetite. Mentally, I was nervous about whether I could do it or not for about 1-2 weeks. After that, I had more confidence.

I was also exercising a lot before doing OMAD and I was used to fasting 24-hrs once a month (religious purposes) so I don't remember a big adaptation period. I think everyone is different and I think that if you stick it out, it will become easier. I would do the little bit of coconut oil if you have a problem day also, it isn't very many cals, it won't spike the insulin, and won't make you more hungry. Drink lots of water, that is a must! I found that getting adequate protein the night before was also very important to how hungry I got the next day. I also took a multivitamin with minerals to make sure I was getting adequate micro-nutrients and also in hopes of staving off cravings. Just my 2-cents worth.
  • Anneli_F
    Options
    blambo61, I'm glad to hear it was an easy transition for you! I haven't got any problems with hunger either, I did two 24 hour fasts per week before this. If my stomach starts rumbling, I just have a cup of hot tea, then I feel full again.
    I also average 2 1/2 litres of water, that helps!

My issues are the headaches, stomach aches and just feeling all kinds of sick. I'm not worried, my body has a lot of cleansing to do, but I hope it will pass soon
  • blambo61
    Options
    Could it be a caffeine thing? If your used to having regular caffeine, then you don't that can cause headaches. I don't drink caffeinated beverages (unless I'm driving long distances and need to stay awake) and if I start drinking them, I will get really messed up and get headaches for awhile, then when I quite them, I will get headaches for awhile. Sounds like your hydrated so that shouldn't be an issue.
  • Anneli_F
    Options
    Sorry, but that's not it. :/ I still have my coffe in the morning, as always, just without milk now.
    Bit I did realize I've been taking my msm every evening the last couple of weeks and perhaps I should wait with that as it can add to the cleansing symptoms. Hm...

Thank you for your input! :)
  • Anneli_F
    Options
    Update
    I'm feeling a lot better and... I've lost 3 kg in these 11 days. :)

Me and my daughter booked a weeks holiday on Mallorca in the end of january, great to have something to look forward to.

Yesterdays lunch was really yummy, salmon with broccoli, potatoes, baby spinach, lettuce, a clementine and two squares of dark coconut chocolate. As the salmon was frozen I had to boil the whole piece but I only finished half, the rest is waiting for me in the fridge.

1fvvhmxhrwav.jpg
  • 1MADGIRL
    Options
    That looks delicious and healthy!!
  • Anneli_F
    edited December 2016
    Options
    It was! :)

I realized I have to limit my visits to the bathroom, I want to go all to often and when I'm at home it's so easy to go every half an hour or so. I think I need to train my bladder and stretch it out a bit.
    I decided to do the same thing as for my eating, - Yes I can go, but not now. In half an hour or an hour or whatever. Just as with hunger the need goes away for a while and then comes back. Hm, the fasting experience is useful in many ways...
  • SavedByGrace26356
    SavedByGrace26356 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Your meals look so good. Amazing choices!! You're doing great!
  • Anneli_F
    Options
    After the meal above I decided to see if I could extend my fast a little, just as a test. I had lunch saturday and then I didn't eat until monday morning. Strangely I wasn't that hungry at all, but began to detoxify quite a bit early monday morning and decided to have breakfast then. (I needed to go into town a couple of hours and didn't want to have to chase bathrooms)
    Except for feeling extra full, I had two small meals within three hours, I was feeling great afterwards and had lost 1.6 kg (3.5 lbs) Today I wanted to see if any of that came back again, but to my surprise I had lost another pound.

I'm now down 4,2 kg (~ 9 lbs) in about two weeks. A lot of that is probabely water, but still :)
  • 1MADGIRL
    Options
    Ah congrats! I haven't tried the longer fasts yet but it seemed to work great on you! Keep it up!
  • SavedByGrace26356
    Options
    Anneli_F wrote: »
    After the meal above I decided to see if I could extend my fast a little, just as a test. I had lunch saturday and then I didn't eat until monday morning. Strangely I wasn't that hungry at all, but began to detoxify quite a bit early monday morning and decided to have breakfast then. (I needed to go into town a couple of hours and didn't want to have to chase bathrooms)
    Except for feeling extra full, I had two small meals within three hours, I was feeling great afterwards and had lost 1.6 kg (3.5 lbs) Today I wanted to see if any of that came back again, but to my surprise I had lost another pound.

I'm now down 4,2 kg (~ 9 lbs) in about two weeks. A lot of that is probabely water, but still :)

You did great. Skipping food from Saturday lunch to Monday morning is a great fasting period. I hope you drank a lot of water. I've found I can get quite dizzy if I go too long without drinking something.
  • Anneli_F
    Options
    Yes, a lot of water and tea and I also drank a glass of water with a teaspoon of salt just to avoid the dizzyness if possible. I don't know if that was it, but I was fine the whole time.
    I won't be doing longer fast often, but perhaps once in a while to test my limits ;)

I can understand why people say they feel they connect to God when they do 10-20 days of waterfasting, I felt a little bit more spiritual just for these 42 hours. Maybe it sounds foolish, but that was my experience.
  • SavedByGrace26356
    Options
    Anneli_F wrote: »
    Yes, a lot of water and tea and I also drank a glass of water with a teaspoon of salt just to avoid the dizzyness if possible. I don't know if that was it, but I was fine the whole time.
    I won't be doing longer fast often, but perhaps once in a while to test my limits ;)

I can understand why people say they feel they connect to God when they do 10-20 days of waterfasting, I felt a little bit more spiritual just for these 42 hours. Maybe it sounds foolish, but that was my experience.

Once in a while the water fast is good. I've heard that as well. ♥
  • Anneli_F
    Options
    Oh, I've eaten and eaten today, mostly low carb food but lots of chocholates.
    My main issue is that I've had more than a bottle of mulled vine, 18% alcohol. I feel stuffed and less than sober and a bit worried about tomorrow. This isn't good, I know better.

I want to just move on, keep on OMADI'ing but tomorrov will be difficult I guess, I hope not.
    Well, if I could start once, I can do it again. Christmas is christmas...