Trusting the Process

Options

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I would think your Apple Watch is going to be underestimating too, because your work is non-step.

Other trackers allow you to mark a block of time to see what stats the device came up with during that time.

Your work would mainly show as standing around, and be given BMR level burn - which we know is obviously not the case, with those devices.

I'm curious how it shows on the Apple Watch - is there any such function, to say give me the stats for say 1-2 pm when you know you did a massage, and can see what the calories given were. I'll bet they are way lower than reality.

But using even the rough 5 level, Lightly Active would be daily life with no exercise. Lightly active also with exercise by itself.
    Combined you are probably rounding up the Moderately Active level to nearest 100.

But your selected Lightly Active is not the correct level for sure.
  • TerezaToledo
    TerezaToledo Posts: 613 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Yay for STS! I am so glad you are enjoying it! It is a program different than everything else, that's for sure. As to add the ab workout to which day, it would depend on how you feel and the time you have to workout. With so many compound exercises on STS, you are already working your core, it's not being neglected. As for cardio, same thing, it's up to the time and energy you have. I always liked adding light cardio in between just to loosen up sore muscles and for the endorphins when I had time.

Tereza
    EM2WL Team Member and moderator
  • brileylmt
    brileylmt Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I agree that the scale isn't a end all measurement. I have been monitoring only as a reference with adjusting TDEE. Lately I have bee wondering if I haven't reached TDEE yet. The scale numbers over run between 176-180. Body measurement are not changing much but body percentage has. Today's my day to take measurements. The scale is up 3 pounds, chest and right bicep down 1/2 inch each, all other areas are the same and body fat percentage is down .14 of a %.

Since end of Oct body fat % is down 9.91%, scale weight is up 4 pounds, body measurements show no change in total inches. (Scale has been up and down over the last month from 177-180)

I think I'll re-read some posts and the EM2WL books. I think I'll try increasing intake to 2152 and see what that does. It's only up 125 from what we figured at my start of EM2WL. Maybe I have not yet reached TDEE????
  • empressichel
    empressichel Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    You're obviously having some great body recomposition results though. Excellent drop on the body fat. Do you see a difference in body shape/muscle definition.
    Honestly, I wouldn't advise a cut at all in STS, especially in Mesos 2 and 3. They are very challenging and your body will need all the rest and calories it can get for full recovery.
    I think you are figuring this all out for yourself now. I agree with you to increase the calories, because giving deep tissue massage is a serious workout all by itself. Definitely not a desk job! Plus, your Apple Watch probably won't pick that up, I know a Fitbit wouldn't.
    It's worth the time now, to keep pushing up the calories and see just how high your TDEE may actually be. Doing it in slow increments the way you are will minimise any fat or weight gain.
    Love it! Love it! Love it!
    Keep pushing!
    Ichel
    EM2WL ambassador and moderator
  • brileylmt
    Options
    Thanks for the help and advise. I can't look at a section of time for a calorie burn, or at least I don't know how to. I'll bump up the calorie intake and see what happens. I'll wait until after STS to do a cut. I don't see any change in body shape or muscle definition. I feel there is some changes at my hips and ribcage but no change in measurements. Hubby says he can feel the muscle getting tighter but I don't see any changes. I'm lifting more during the workouts so that's a plus.
    I'll try to figure out the ab workout. I understand your point that I work them during weight lifting to stabilize as I lift. I also know that ab muscles can be there under the fat and you can't see them until you lose fat. I don't feel as if I'm working the abs during my main workout lifting. I'll try adding them in at the end of my day or when I have time between clients. I will also try to get back to yoga on the in between days. This TDEE is a tricky thing to nail down. I think I'll flip the carb and protein percentages. I feel better with more protein and I seem to crave sweets when I eat carbs.
  • empressichel
    Options
    Yes, I love this plan.
    Just keep being consistent til the end is STS. You can always reasses then.
    Have you taken progress pics? I would have lost my mind without progress pics. And even then my trainer had to point out the differences because I still couldn't see it! When she said look at your upper arm and did side by side pics it was like oh yeah!
    Well worth doing. Especially with STS
    Ichel
  • brileylmt
    Options
    I did take a pic a month ago. I'll try to take another. So hard to do that myself. I did look at my Apple Watch reading from May 2015. That was when I was eating around 1300-1500 calories a day and working out. My Apple Watch showed a daily calorie total burn of just under 3000 calories a day. So I must have been more jacked up than I thought. The total calorie burn lately shows as around 2500 a day. So the weight I did lose must have been muscle, tendon, etc??? There is truth in numbers.
  • heybales
    Options
    Seasonal changes in TDEE.

That's why it's a life lesson - to eat appropriately for your level of activity.

Sometimes that means more, sometimes less.

Tendon isn't broken down nearly as much daily as muscle is. It's the reason why tendon & ligament repair can take so long.
    We all lose muscle every day as some is broken down, and the body builds it back up again from what your food makes available.

If not enough raw nutrients to build it back up, what is used least is left out.

That is why you can find the big overweight guys that used to do some physical job - but then they stopped.
    And they kept eating like they were.
    And years later if called on - they still have the strength. Stamina and any aerobic capacity is gone of course, but muscle strength is still there even if lacking in endurance using it.

But put that guy on an extreme diet and even while lifting, he'll lose strength somewhere, to some degree.
  • brileylmt
    Options
    I have decided to start early on my 2017 goals.
    1. Eat more alternative grains (I'm gluten sensitive)
    2. Tighten macros to 40% protein, 30% carbs, 30% fat
    3. Learn to make 1 new healthy meal a week
  • empressichel
    Options
    Love making new goals!
    Learning 1 new meal a week is definitely doable.
    Any reason why you are setting protein to 40%?
    That's higher than we would normally recommend.
    Ichel
  • brileylmt
    Options
    I seem to have less sugar cravings, more energy and most grains give me such digestive trouble. When I had accidentally increased protein to more than carbs recently, I felt better and didn't crave sweets. Is there a specific reason for keeping it at 30%. I love to read and learn why the nutrition is the way it is. I have been looking for as much info as I can find on all of this.
  • pennyo140
    pennyo140 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I love the EM2WL philosophy and am finally back in the gym. Because of my hurt left hip, I am only walking @ 2.5 mph for an hour (I'm not working so I'm not very active at home). Soon I plan to start with weights.
  • brileylmt
    Options
    @pennyo140 glad your back in the gym. That is a great accomplishment. Getting back to working out after an injury is not an easy thing to do.
  • brileylmt
    Options
    Thanks Ichel. I love getting the information behind the recommendations. Helps to understand the process
  • brileylmt
    Options
    wo56txz8aqqs.png

This is from yesterday. So if I am understanding correctly. If this burn number becomes the normal daily burn, I need to work my way up to eating this number of calories a day? 2,604 may or may not be my TDEE but I should be eating at least this average to maintain weight. (Keeping in mind my TDEE may be actually even higher)

Am I looking at this correctly?

I did adjust my macros down a bit. As I researched more the highest I should go is 35% and will admit I cannot hit that consistently. I, as always, will continue to research what I'm told to gain a better understanding of what I need to do. Any suggestions of educational material for me is always welcome. I am also going through all EM2WL posts/blogs/videos.
  • empressichel
    Options
    Basically, yes!
    It's better to use averages of over a week than one day.
    Also, I don't know how it works on an Apple Watch but I'm guessing it's the same as Fitbit where you have to manually add any strength training as it will under estimate that.
    Have you looked at our you tube channel for more videos? And be sure to follow us on all social media platforms to get any new updates.
    I think it's great that you do your own research, it will help enforce your commitment to this lifestyle.
    Like I always tell my children, question everything!
    Ichel
    Team EM2WL
  • brileylmt
    Options
    I will keep watching my averages. I can set them for daily, weekly, monthly or yearly. My goal is to keep going with daily workouts. 3 days a week of weight lifting and 4 days a week of yoga. I don't want a gym membership and it's below freezing here. I refuse to be outside any longer than building to car. So no walks. I plan on reviewing my calorie intake on a monthly basis along with my measurements. I want to increase slowly this time to not gain like I did before. So over the next 3 or more weeks I'll work up to 2,604. I have my Apple Watch on during all workouts. The only time it is off is when I give a massage, then it's folded into a napkin and stuffed in my pocket or bra. So at that point it's counting steps and tracking my standing hours. I don't manually add anything. I just have a goal set of 500 calorie burn a day with activity.
  • heybales
    Options
    So when you are standing or laying to do a fair number of your weight lifting workouts - it's going to be badly underestimated calorie burn for that time - usually given sleeping BMR level burn - which is obviously not true.
    3 days a week may not be a significant difference if just 10-15 min each. 45-60 min each - now it matters.

If HR based estimates, then calorie burn from HR is only a best estimate (still can be not accurate) if steady-state aerobic - same HR for 2-4 min.
    If your lifting has the same HR for long periods and is aerobic - then you aren't really doing weight lifting correctly.
    If you are, your HR should be all over the place and be anaerobic for fair amount of time - so again it should be manually entered.
  • brileylmt
    Options
    When I start my workout I can choose what type of workout I do on my Apple Watch. I choose strength training with I lift weights. I choose yoga when I do yoga. Outside walk when I went for walks outside, etc. I am constantly moving with the yoga and the weight lifting. Both workouts last 45-60 minutes. I understand that the tracking may be off some due to different things in my day. I don't think there is any other way to enter info in on a watch. I have MFP calorie goal set at 2,300. That has been my Apple Watch average over the last month. I have increased my workouts since Jan 1. So that calorie count will need to be a bit different as I move forward.