Rock Your Resolution: January 2017 Challenge, Week 1 (1/1-1/7)

Options
baconslave
baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
Here we are. Another year gone. But a new one will be starting, and in keeping with the tradition of a New Year Resolution, we have a challenge for you aiming at helping you KEEP those resolutions this year.

Let us know your resolutions, or even just a way you'd like to challenge yourself this month.
You can report your progress to your goal, whether it be ultra-obsessive daily hitting your low-carb plan basics, or working on a fitness goal, or even nailing down other good habits in your life. And if you have problems or need advice, you'll find that here.

Each week there will be a thread to collect your progress that week and to interact with other challengers.
A post up in the stickies will contain links to the weekly threads should this one get buried. 2 clicks will get you back to this one without having to search.

Before you start, think about your goals. For measurable resolutions, we recommend getting a baseline.

Here are some ideas (abridged from @FIT_Goat in this post For Those with New Year Resolutions):
[*] Get an average of your most recent weigh-ins for a good idea of your starting weight.
[*] Record your food, even if you're estimating. Sure, it will be a little higher in calories/junk due to the holiday season but it will still be better than having nothing.
[*] Take body measurements and pictures. To make sure they are accurate, take several sets of measurements and average them. Or watch this video on how to measure yourself so that you are actually measuring the same spots every time. You never need to show/share these with anyone, but you might be surprised how willing you will be to share them when you have success.
[*] Make an exercise log and try for your current personal bests (even if they're nothing to be proud of). Again, a starting number is better than nothing. It will show you how much you have achieved.
[*]If you're also doing something else (like quitting smoking), the same idea applies. Take a starting measurement, like how many cigs or packs per day. You'll often be shocked at how much growth you make.

Remember changes are often slow and hard to see in the mirror. The scale is lazy and doesn't always readily reflect genuine progress. Measurements and pics will help you really see what's going on behind the scenes. And speaking of invisible progress, how you feel (improved health and/or energy) are great markers that your change is working.

Sooooo...go ahead and introduce yourself and/or post your goals when you are ready. Challenge starts on the 1st

This is a fresh new year.
Own it.

We'll be here to cheer you on.

Happy New Year and make that resolution stick.

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I have a couple of resolutons:

1. Quit pop.

I drink a lot of diet pop lately and my kids are noticing. They know that I know that it isn't good/helpful for my health and have commented. I need to stop. No more "do as I say and not as I do". I felt better without it anyways.

2. Getting back to my ketogenic basics.

My carbs, my bad carbs, are climbing. I have regained some weight. Probably 165 now, although I haven't checked. Ketogenic basics for me is getting back to below 20g of carbs per day, where I felt my best, by going with a mostly meat based diet. I also need to get back to calorie counting basics within my ketogenic diet. About 1500 kcal per day to relose my 10-15 lbs, and then back to about 2000kcal.

My only concern is my fasting blood glucose. It is high when I eat ketogenic. Lately I've just been low carb and my FBG is down into normal levels again.... I really dislike my liver. LOL
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    Hmm.... Maybe I should try some yoga..,
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I've been watching this lady on youtube that does modified yoga for plus sized folks. I have a yoga DVD but I'm thinking of shipping it off to Goodwill-land. Its supposed to be for beginners but it doesn't show other options or modifications.
  • asgentr
    asgentr Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    My main goal for January is to drop into the 150s, which would be a healthy bmi. I also plan to shift from cardio to weight and flexibility exercise. In particular I want to improve my posture. I never bought the darn instant pot and have yet to make the bone broth I said I would last month. Not sure I want another appliance on my countertop. I live next door to a pho restaurant, so maybe I should just go there for the sake of simplicity.
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    My goals for January are:

1) Keep staying on plan like I have been since I started 12/11.

2) Try to increase my activity levels by either:
    Wearing my fitbit again and getting in extra steps.
    or
    Doing some yoga nightly.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    1. Drop 10-15 pounds that I regained this year. Well that is a longer term goal than just January, so next steps are for January to begin to achieve it.
    2. Work on hitting carb goals, for me that is less than 100g with carb sources being mainly veggies and fruits.
    3. Exercise at least 3x per week.
    4. Try to get in resistance/strength training work again though I have been struggling with tennis elbow so may need to keep that more to lower body to allow that to continue to heal.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    1. Lose these 6 lbs still hanging on from Christmas feasting. I done gone and ate ALL the carbs. And drank all the alcohol :o . I have stopped pretending it didn't happen, yet will not shame myself for my choices.
    2. I will continue with my immensely successful carnivore lifestyle. The carbage incident taught me my body hates grains, fruits, and fiber. I must log, at least loosely, otherwise I undereat.
    3. Stop playing around with my workouts. I do a calisthenics based program, but I haven't made any progress as I skip days or don't do the whole workout. I have the program, just got to do it. 3x weekly is my goal.
  • binkviv
    binkviv Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I dont know if to call myself a newbie or not. I have done Atkins before unsuccessfully. I always quit when i stopped losing more weight which happened around week 2 to 3. I was glad to find the Launch pad as i have learned a lot from it. I am glad to be part of the group.

My goals for the month of January are to:
    1. Log daily and stay on target for my macros
    2. Incorporate some exercise 2 to 3 days a week to start
    3. Dont pay too much attention to the scale (not really a goal)

My longterm goal is to lose weight and hopefully i will quit aching so much
  • maggiegbrown
    maggiegbrown Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    My goals are going to be more for the New Year instead of the month as I get really stressed over short deadlines! LOL
    1. Is to make sure I get at the very least 1000 calories a day. I struggle with this desperately!
    2. I am going to work my walking back into my life. I stopped due to depression and I hope i can pull myself out of it.
    3. I need to force myself to sleep as of now I go to bed at 4 am and wake up around 10 am. I am going to work at going to bed 15 min early every night and see how i do.
    4. I am going to weight, measure, and take photo's weekly to keep me going.
    Pray for ya'll as I will do for you! Good luck ; )
  • dittmarml
    dittmarml Posts: 351 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    1. Fix my sleep schedule (averaging 5.5 hrs, have been at 6.5 my whole life and would like to hit 7...)
    2. Lose between 2 and 4 pounds for the month. (Started already and have lost the requisite 7 pounds of water :) Would like to lose 50 lbs overall.)
    3. Log every day.
    4. Get in some physical activity 3 times a week, of which 2 times will be in the pool (at least when not traveling).
    5. Have fun!
  • bremm2015
    bremm2015 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My goal is to be the slim person I was in 2012. In January 2016 I started eating carbage again, and slowly but surely regained the 20 lbs I had lost with low carbing. Why did I do it when I knew what would happen? Today is the first day of the rest of my life and I will no longer sabotage my self esteem by being a little plump person. I can become slim again and I will. It is difficult but possible, with commitment, persistence, and patience I WILL JUST DO IT.
  • MarissaTriesAgain
    MarissaTriesAgain Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    My 2017 Resolutions, that are health/fitness related:
    1. Stay committed to keto/lchf lifestyle.
    2. Hike once a month with my boyfriend.
    3. 4 million steps for the year (via Fitbit).

For January, I set mini fitness goals to make sure I am moving and focusing on maintaining/building my lean muscle mass as I lose weight. Including walking the dogs 3x a week, strength training 2x a week, and gym cardio 2x a week. Not anything drastic, just getting back in the habit of taking the time to exercise.
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,412 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    MyriiStorm wrote: »
    ...snip...

ETA: I just want to put this here to remind myself when I feel like jumping off the wagon: http://coachtaylorsimon.ca/uncategorized/the-brutally-honest-6-reasons-you-are-still-overfat/

Warning: Possibly offensive language and possibly offensive ideas therein. (Thank you @SuperCarLori for the link!)

Yes, offensive language, but an excellent insightful and TRUE blog post.
    Successful people adopt an internal locus of control. Life is always going to interrupt and be life. It's going to throw crap at you until your last breath. What you can control is your response in light of all the obstacles. And someone with an internal locus of control will navigate this well. People with external locus of control will continue to jerked all over the place like a feather in the wind. The bad news is: You are the only one who can do this. The good news? You are the one who CAN do this. You can. You have that power. Success or failure is on you, but you are strong. You have the power to make a change and keep it. Plus, you're worth it. :heart:

Awesome blog posting...it's SO true!