Rock Your Resolution: January 2017 Challenge, Week 1 (1/1-1/7)

Options

Replies

• carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,412 Member
    Options
    My 2017 Resolutions:
    1. 40 grams or less net carbs each and every day.
    2. Try to eat more and more whole foods and find more interesting things to eat instead of the same old
    3. Keep moving: Average 8,000 steps per day for January plus jogging a couple of miles 2 times a week
    4. Keep up with Yoga - feels so good on my muscles
    5. Get back down to 137 lbs and just stay there for the year!
  • patti349
    patti349 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    2017 GOALS:
    1. continue staying at or under my 20 daily carbs
    2. walk at least a mile daily
    3. just get healthier
    4. take measurements weekly
    5. keep my type 2 diabetes numbers in control, so I can continue to stay off meds and keep my A1C number "normal"
    6. continue to track my food daily
    7. lose 67 pounds to reach my goal of 150#

JANUARY GOAL:
    1. start taking measurements weekly
    2. up my goal of walking a mile a day to a mile and a half daily
    3. lose at least 8 pounds this month to get to 202

I CAN DO THIS AND I WILL......
  • azsundancer
    azsundancer Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    Here we are. Another year gone. But a new one will be starting, and in keeping with the tradition of a New Year Resolution, we have a challenge for you aiming at helping you KEEP those resolutions this year.

Let us know your resolutions, or even just a way you'd like to challenge yourself this month.
    You can report your progress to your goal, whether it be ultra-obsessive daily hitting your low-carb plan basics, or working on a fitness goal, or even nailing down other good habits in your life. And if you have problems or need advice, you'll find that here.

Each week there will be a thread to collect your progress that week and to interact with other challengers.
    A post up in the stickies will contain links to the weekly threads should this one get buried. 2 clicks will get you back to this one without having to search.

Before you start, think about your goals. For measurable resolutions, we recommend getting a baseline.

Here are some ideas (abridged from @FIT_Goat in this post For Those with New Year Resolutions):
    [*] Get an average of your most recent weigh-ins for a good idea of your starting weight.
    [*] Record your food, even if you're estimating. Sure, it will be a little higher in calories/junk due to the holiday season but it will still be better than having nothing.
    [*] Take body measurements and pictures. To make sure they are accurate, take several sets of measurements and average them. Or watch this video on how to measure yourself so that you are actually measuring the same spots every time. You never need to show/share these with anyone, but you might be surprised how willing you will be to share them when you have success.
    [*] Make an exercise log and try for your current personal bests (even if they're nothing to be proud of). Again, a starting number is better than nothing. It will show you how much you have achieved.
    [*]If you're also doing something else (like quitting smoking), the same idea applies. Take a starting measurement, like how many cigs or packs per day. You'll often be shocked at how much growth you make.

Remember changes are often slow and hard to see in the mirror. The scale is lazy and doesn't always readily reflect genuine progress. Measurements and pics will help you really see what's going on behind the scenes. And speaking of invisible progress, how you feel (improved health and/or energy) are great markers that your change is working.

Sooooo...go ahead and introduce yourself and/or post your goals when you are ready. Challenge starts on the 1st

This is a fresh new year.
    Own it.

We'll be here to cheer you on.

Happy New Year and make that resolution stick.

Thank you for this... I am new here and it's got me thinking how important it is to make attainable resolutions! So happy I found this challenge!
  • 230to130mfp
    230to130mfp Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    January resolutions:
    1-get back to exercising regularly post-injury while still listening to my body and not getting injured again
    2-eat at loss calories every day of the month

My new year resolution is to lose all my weight and stick to a workout routine and get fit! I have lost 9 lbs so far on my fitness pal! My starting weight was 230 lbs im now 221.4 lbs my goal is to get down to 130-140 lbs but at least down to 170 lbs by june 2017 i have recently put my self in a challenge of my own...like this one so this will be helpful. My challenge for myself is to eat clean , low carbing and work out for 30 days straight and to take a pic each day along the way...its fun to think of your journey as a challenge. ..its less boring
  • 230to130mfp
    Options
    patti349 wrote: »
    2017 GOALS:
    1. continue staying at or under my 20 daily carbs
    2. walk at least a mile daily
    3. just get healthier
    4. take measurements weekly
    5. keep my type 2 diabetes numbers in control, so I can continue to stay off meds and keep my A1C number "normal"
    6. continue to track my food daily
    7. lose 67 pounds to reach my goal of 150#

JANUARY GOAL:
    1. start taking measurements weekly
    2. up my goal of walking a mile a day to a mile and a half daily
    3. lose at least 8 pounds this month to get to 202

I CAN DO THIS AND I WILL......

Yes you will! Go get em!
  • 230to130mfp
    Options
    bremm2015 wrote: »
    My goal is to be the slim person I was in 2012. In January 2016 I started eating carbage again, and slowly but surely regained the 20 lbs I had lost with low carbing. Why did I do it when I knew what would happen? Today is the first day of the rest of my life and I will no longer sabotage my self esteem by being a little plump person. I can become slim again and I will. It is difficult but possible, with commitment, persistence, and patience I WILL JUST DO IT.

Yes you will..ive been their..last year i weighed 255 lbs after having my daughter and went on a keto low carb diet i ate no more than 10-20 carbs a day...water only...mainly meat and veggies i did a weekly carb refeed and lost 75lbs in 6 months...then i fell back and gained most of it back i was down to 180 lbs and now im 221.4 before i got back to the diet i was 230.6 we can do this together..friend me we can support each other in our journeys. .happy new year! You can and will do it! Its not easy but possible!
  • Carnivorekat
    Carnivorekat Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    A lot of my resolutions are mentally related - am not going to do the usual lose weight exercise more resolutions as these tend to prove too much stress so mine this new year are as follows:-

1. Keep a journal - making notes of positive things that are happening
    2. Work on my binge eating issues and try to overcome them
    3. Drink more water
    4. To be more creative (really want to start up a crafting business)
    5. Become more mindful
    6. To learn a new language

I am aiming on making 2017 the year I overcome my mental health issues and find peace within myself.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    My 2017 goals:
    * Get body fat percentage down to or below 25% (and maintain it! :)). I need to get my BF% measured at the gym next week for a more accurate baseline and then work on that! :)
    * Do strength 2-3x/wk and try to exercise at least 10 mins/day on other days (ideally more than that several days a week but at least get in a short walk, stretching, etc.) Trying to keep it totally doable!
    * Focus on making healthier choices and not just # of carb grams. Follow more Wahls Protocol guidelines for my MS.
    * Stay LCHF (may or may not be keto range).
    * ETA: I really need to work on my sleep schedule. I can't necessarily control the insomnia but I would like to start getting to bed by 10:15 on school nights and getting up between 5:30 and 6:30 on school days. (No more than an hour later on weekends since I know that throws me off.)
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    Getting close!
    Tomorrow morning I'm be weighing in for this challenge.
    Happy New Years Eve!!
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    For 2017 I would like to:

Maintain my weight +/- 5 lbs

Keep carbs below 50 net

Get outdoors for a walk or jog 1/2 times a week

Start drinking my collagen for joints and skin

Get back to regular strength training workouts
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    Options
    My 2017 goals:
    • Get these weird, sleep-and-energy-destroying Sjogren's symptoms figured out.
    • Cut body fat so I can get back down closer to my goal weight, which was 150. I got there in Dec of 2015, but then I recomped and then gained when I had to up carbs a little (to 100-120g) and then the stress of the Sjogren's crap...
    • Keep my muscles and maybe build a few more.
    • Booze on Sat only! DH keeps making me drinks on Friday night. I know he thinks he's helping, but those extra calories are counter to my goals.

SW: I'm going with yesterday's weight 160. I know I'm up as it's my birthday, and I indulged yesterday in some carbage. So about Thursday or Friday, the water will leave and I'll be normal. I want to lose 5lb of fat and keep it off.

I'll measure inches and what not later. Despite it being my birthday, I get to please other people and go to the in-laws for their New Year dinner. :neutral: At least there will be prime rib. :+1:
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    Okay, January 1st, 2017!
    SW: 190
    GW: 185

Now that's just my goal for January! My end goal weight will be somewhere in the 160'S..but we'll see if I want to drop a few more when I get there.

Another goal is to stop having momentary lapses into Sugarland. I May need to look into more recipes that will head that off, or go back to dark chocolate.

Also increasing water.

And upping my carb allotment by five each week. Eventually allowing for sweet potatoes and other healthy carbs. There's no reason for me to stay in ketosis forever.

There we are. My plan.
  • macchiatto
    Options
    A look at my weight loss graph from the past 15 months.

On the bright side, I spent almost my whole adult life yoyoing between 139 and 160, so it's good that I've stayed below that over the past year, but I would love to stop the yoyo'ing and stay in goal range!

Posting this here for accountability as I move into a new year. Hoping I get long-term maintenance figured out better this year! And finally get more consistency with strength training without injuring myself, as I think that would help with my hope of recomping! (Small frame, little muscle, disproportionate amount of belly fat, and even yoyoing in a 5lb range it's all in my belly and affects clothing fit and how pregnant I look. :tongue: )

tb53blaaodi9.png
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    @baconslave, Did I see above that you are a New Year's Day baby? Happy Birthday!
  • macchiatto
    Options
    Happy birthday, @baconslave!!
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year to everyone!! Well, here's the numbers:

CW: 137.6lbs
    GW: 130lbs

Waist and hips are up a +0.5" - 1" over my low weight of 131lbs at the start of December. The holidays were used as an excuse to go off the rails, here's my Libra to see the carnage. 2016 was super successful for me. Now back to business.
    vt17ybs2zi0f.png
  • macchiatto
    edited January 2017
    Options
    @williams969 our numbers and range are pretty similar (although our graphs look quite different ;))! Glad you had such a great year overall!
  • azsundancer
    azsundancer Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday @baconslave!

Happy New Year everyone!

• williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    macchiatto wrote: »
    @williams969 our numbers and range are pretty similar (although our graphs look quite different ;))! Glad you had such a great year overall!

Yes, they are, @macchiatto ! Although if my 2017 looks like your 2016, I'll consider that a great maintenance range (I'm a yo-yo er, sigh...going to break that cycle)