Keto Question

Options
blambo61
blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
edited January 2017 in Social Groups
What are the macro ratios I should be shooting for for a keto diet. I'm 6'1" male, 210 lbs. Probably 30-lbs overweight. Also how much sodium do I need to take?

I do a 20:4 IF diet. If I eat all the protein I'm supposed to in my small eating window, will it kick me out of keto?

What kind of losses do people usually experience with keto the 1st, 2nd month? I've seen one lady report an 18-lb loss in a month.

Thanks

Replies

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I'd look through the LCD Launch Pad sticky thread. Lots on elecyrolytes and macros there, including keto-calculators.

I would also suggest Phinney and Volek's YouTube interviews with JumpstartMD - very informative!

On 20:4....

Personally, I'm T2D and concerned about losing lean tissue, and I gather our bodies can only process a certain amount of protein at a time without the excess converting to glucose. (Two variables to figure out....) So I keep my window open longer for that purpose, but I'm nearing my target weight and have already lost some muscle mass. :s

No idea how to figure out how much protein you, individually, can use at a time, or what that time is..... Anyone?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Awesome answer. Ditto it all.
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    Personally, I'm T2D and concerned about losing lean tissue, and I gather our bodies can only process a certain amount of protein at a time without the excess converting to glucose. (Two variables to figure out....) So I keep my window open longer for that purpose, but I'm nearing my target weight and have already lost some muscle mass. :s

No idea how to figure out how much protein you, individually, can use at a time, or what that time is..... Anyone?

UGH. THIS. I HATE that protein is such a bugger to figure out. Bodybuilders doing keto will tell you to go for the sky and as a T2D myself, I'm wary of trying to not go crazy. I tend to do 5/15/75 (carbs/protein/fat) and try to not go over 60-70 g protein a day, but I have no idea if that's good or bad. If gluconeogenesis is really a thing, is it something that can be triggered in the short term from excess protein, or does it only occur over time? No clue, and it's one of those things people are still wondering about. Ticks me right off that there's no definitive answer.

I also don't know if I'm losing muscle mass or doing fine. I have been dealing with frozen shoulder since Easter-ish (quite a few months pre-keto), but other than that, no great complaints.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    Look over our FAQs and General Low Carb in the LaunchPad: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10348406/faqs-and-general-lc-info?new=1

Here are a couple of open threads to read through:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10444438/i-never-should-have-ventured-off-this-forum/p1
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/38190892#Comment_38190892
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10438750/too-much-protein/
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10465462/macros-question-dont-blow-any-tops/p1
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/684525/why-the-rapid-weight-loss-on-low-carb-induction-stops/p1

TL;DR:
    blambo61 wrote: »
    What are the macro ratios I should be shooting for for a keto diet. I'm 6'1" male, 210 lbs. Probably 30-lbs overweight. Also how much sodium do I need to take?

Carbs: 0-50g
    Protein: .8-1.2g per kg of LBM
    Fat: to satiety or what's left to fill your calorie goal

http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/ is a good calc to input your status and see what that looks like.
    I do a 20:4 IF diet. If I eat all the protein I'm supposed to in my small eating window, will it kick me out of keto?
    That depends. But unless you're way overeating your protein goal, then it's not a worry. See Too Much Protein link above for that discussion.
    What kind of losses do people usually experience with keto the 1st, 2nd month? I've seen one lady report an 18-lb loss in a month.

That's entirely dependent upon the individual. Many lose a bunch of water weight in the beginning and then it slows down. Some lose slowly throughout.

Ah fluffernutter! I forgot one!
    Sodium: 3000mg-5000mg MINIMUM to replace sodium flushed by ketosis.
    Mag: 400mg min
    Potassium: up to 4700mg which is the RDA, but not as much a concern if sodium is spot-on as the body will preserve all electrolytes in that case.

Sodium>mag>potassium
    Read the keto flu post on electrolytes for more details:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10358179/keto-flu-dizzy-weak-tired-headaches-cramping-muscles-electrolyte-imbalance-may-be-your-problem#latest
  • bjwoodzy
    Options

Fluffernutter just might be my new SFW swear word.
  • blambo61
    Options
    Thanks for all the info people. I will look at the resources. Most of the time I have done IF, I have not limited any types of food and would have a sugary desert at the end. I would try to get all my protein in and I haven't lost much muscle I think (inbody measurements). I just recently have cut out refined sugar and am going to give that a look for a couple more weeks and then I may try to go lower carb after that. The two weeks I haven't done refined sugar, I've lost 5-lbs (over the Holidays even) whereas I usually only lose 1-lb/week lately.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    Options
    bjwoodzy wrote: »

:wink:
    I spilled a drink at a Ladies' Night once and said "FIDDLEFADDLE!" The server was quite a bit younger than me, and she laughed and laughed. I thought she was going to choke... Said it made her day. It was right after I got there and hadn't transitioned from "mom-speak"yet. Sigh....
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »

UGH. THIS. I HATE that protein is such a bugger to figure out. Bodybuilders doing keto will tell you to go for the sky and as a T2D myself, I'm wary of trying to not go crazy. I tend to do 5/15/75 (carbs/protein/fat) and try to not go over 60-70 g protein a day, but I have no idea if that's good or bad. If gluconeogenesis is really a thing, is it something that can be triggered in the short term from excess protein, or does it only occur over time? No clue, and it's one of those things people are still wondering about. Ticks me right off that there's no definitive answer.

I also don't know if I'm losing muscle mass or doing fine. I have been dealing with frozen shoulder since Easter-ish (quite a few months pre-keto), but other than that, no great complaints.

I try to keep my protein relatively low too as my body happily converts it to glucose. Like you, I'm T2 diabetic and successfully off insulin, but overeating protein definitely pushes up my BG,albeit not as much as carbs of course, but when you've fine tuned your diet this much, you notice the BG changes really quickly if you overdo it. I've chosen to deal with the potential for increased muscle mass loss versus the certainty of having to take insulin again if I permanently upped my protein right now and I'm comfortable with that choice, for now at least. My body is still changing though, so who knows where I'll be with it all a year from now... I'm hoping that with more organ fat loss I'll have increasingly better pancreas function... fingers crossed.
  • bjwoodzy
    Options
    I try to keep my protein relatively low too as my body happily converts it to glucose. Like you, I'm T2 diabetic and successfully off insulin, but overeating protein definitely pushes up my BG,albeit not as much as carbs of course, but when you've fine tuned your diet this much, you notice the BG changes really quickly if you overdo it. I've chosen to deal with the potential for increased muscle mass loss versus the certainty of having to take insulin again if I permanently upped my protein right now and I'm comfortable with that choice, for now at least. My body is still changing though, so who knows where I'll be with it all a year from now... I'm hoping that with more organ fat loss I'll have increasingly better pancreas function... fingers crossed.

@PaleoInScotland May I ask what your typical protein intake per day is, in grams?
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options

@PaleoInScotland May I ask what your typical protein intake per day is, in grams?

Lately I've tried to keep it at about 70 grams. When I was hiking every day in the Summer and early Autumn, I was fine at 90-100 grams, but now that it's cold and dark out at night and I'm not exercising as much, I've really had to drop my protein. I'd like to get it down a bit lower still as my BG has been a bit higher than I like. Exercise would easily resolve the issue, but I'm struggling to make it work in the Winter, so the dietary change is a necessity. I've been eating more vegetarian meals to keep it down - a veggie omelette for dinner instead of plate of chicken legs and I'm just fine... but I love chicken legs!!!
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options

Love this! And Fiddlefaddle too! Going to incorporate these both!

I am old enough to remember the media meltdown when our then Prime Minister, of the same name as our current PM, said Fuddle Duddle, or at least that is what he claimed. And in the House of Commons too.

The real snorter though was when my uptight aunt met the floor refurnisher, Mr. Duddle, and made the obvious mistake. We all managed not to choke until he left. Poor man. No wonder he drank!
  • bjwoodzy
    Options
    @PaleoInScotland thank you. I hover around 60s-80s. I am sedentary, apart from housecleaning and up and down stairs a couple times a day
  • SymbolismNZ
    SymbolismNZ Posts: 190 Member
    Options

Thanks

To break this down from a medical science viewpoint..

Your body can only process so much protein in a given time period; there are tons of muscle building articles that state "It's rubbish, your body can consume as much protein as you push into it at any point in time" but the research indicates that your body can only really get the benefit of around 30-50 grams of protein in any particular eating session.

Study Referenced: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3197704/

TL;DR - they took two target groups of people, gave one group 30g of protein and another 90g of protein per sitting (3 to 5 hours between sitting) - there was no further increase in protein synthesis in those that ate 90g versus those that ate 30g. Those on 90g were probably gas champs though.

Now the other thing with eating protein is that it can be turned into glucose if you have too much of it, however in your case as you're doing an IF ratio of 20/4 - while you probably do have protein being turned into glucose in those four hours, the reality is that the period of IF you have means you'll burn all that glucose off and go back into a ketone producing state for probably 8-12 hours a day, even if you're getting 100G of protein in during that period (although as per above, you'll only get the benefits of 30-50g).

As for how much you'll lose, really depends on a case by case basis, what your CICO ratios are; when you hear of those "This lady lost 18lb in one month" - 90% likely that water retention played a major part; one of the side effects of ketosis is that your body doesn't hold onto sodium as well as it does on a glycogen diet, and also carbohydrates boost your body

Study Referenced: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0735109704007028

TL;DR: Those that are on a high carbohydrate diet produce more inflammation around their joints (i.e water) which boosts water retention in the body. When you come off a carbohydrate diet, your body doesn't produce as much of this inflammation which means you drop a lot of water immediately

For a really good general look into Ketosis, Intermittent Fasting and whether or not you actually need to remain on Low Carb to get benefits from Ketosis, I'd suggest this podcast with Joe Rogan and Mark Sisson. In particular around 1 hour 27 they start talking about his own ketone production and how he's not low carb, but how he uses an 18/6 IF ratio to be a fat burning beast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nwd6InD2nDk

• SymbolismNZ
    Options
    I'm assuming you didn't read the research, the whole point was repeated dosages of protein at different levels, during different time scales, for different levels of activity. They had examples ranging from weight lifters, to those that did low-cardio, long-time, to those that did HIIT. They were asked to avoid activity prior to the study, not during the study.
  • SymbolismNZ
    Options
    Here is another study, which looks entirely at exercise training and the impact of protein synthesis
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19036897

Ultimately it's findings were consistent with 20g being the minimum you required post resistance training to peak protein synthesis, while 30-50g was the maximum.

Beware the bro science that indicates your body can store protein to be used at a later date, it really can't.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    So.... What happens to protein that's absorbed and not immediately utilized?

(Germans refer to a storage organ called a "'Biermuskel" - which, unfortunately, is not actually a muscle at all.)
  • SymbolismNZ
    edited January 2017
    Options
    According to Mark Sisson who did a ton of reading and research into it, it turns into farts... He said that only semi-jokingly too.

From what I've read, your body just can't process it, so it just becomes waste; there were a bunch of fear mongering articles around too much protein putting you at risk of kidney disease, etcetera but no research has indicated that being the case.
  • blambo61
    edited January 2017
    Options

Thanks

To break this down from a medical science viewpoint..

Your body can only process so much protein in a given time period; there are tons of muscle building articles that state "It's rubbish, your body can consume as much protein as you push into it at any point in time" but the research indicates that your body can only really get the benefit of around 30-50 grams of protein in any particular eating session.

Study Referenced: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3197704/

TL;DR - they took two target groups of people, gave one group 30g of protein and another 90g of protein per sitting (3 to 5 hours between sitting) - there was no further increase in protein synthesis in those that ate 90g versus those that ate 30g. Those on 90g were probably gas champs though.

Now the other thing with eating protein is that it can be turned into glucose if you have too much of it, however in your case as you're doing an IF ratio of 20/4 - while you probably do have protein being turned into glucose in those four hours, the reality is that the period of IF you have means you'll burn all that glucose off and go back into a ketone producing state for probably 8-12 hours a day, even if you're getting 100G of protein in during that period (although as per above, you'll only get the benefits of 30-50g).

As for how much you'll lose, really depends on a case by case basis, what your CICO ratios are; when you hear of those "This lady lost 18lb in one month" - 90% likely that water retention played a major part; one of the side effects of ketosis is that your body doesn't hold onto sodium as well as it does on a glycogen diet, and also carbohydrates boost your body

Study Referenced: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0735109704007028

TL;DR: Those that are on a high carbohydrate diet produce more inflammation around their joints (i.e water) which boosts water retention in the body. When you come off a carbohydrate diet, your body doesn't produce as much of this inflammation which means you drop a lot of water immediately

For a really good general look into Ketosis, Intermittent Fasting and whether or not you actually need to remain on Low Carb to get benefits from Ketosis, I'd suggest this podcast with Joe Rogan and Mark Sisson. In particular around 1 hour 27 they start talking about his own ketone production and how he's not low carb, but how he uses an 18/6 IF ratio to be a fat burning beast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nwd6InD2nDk

Thanks for the info. It make sense to me that the body could only handle so much of anything at a given time (even generating fat). I've lost about 41 lbs doing the 20:4 diet and have had many in-body measurements. I know they are not the most accurate, but they show I haven't lost a lot of muscle so I think that I'm processing more than 30g of it. I shoot for about 100g in my eating window. I will have to dig out those numbers and look again to see how much muscle I've lost. I do remember when I started I lost i think about 10-lbs but started lifting and taking protein supps and gained about 6 of it back according to the measurements if I remember correctly.