Replies

• blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    Hi Fly, Greeshu, and Brenda!
  • SavedByGrace26356
    SavedByGrace26356 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone...welcome...glad you joined us!!
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Hey, newbs...

Welcome!
  • stevencurrier
    stevencurrier Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    ok so my name is Steve stated omad 3 weeks and 5 days ago started at 310 6feet as of Friday 280 now that hopefully the water is out of my body I will start losing fat oh 41 until june
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    Welcome Greeshma and Steve! Congratulations on losing some weight ahead of time and coming into OMAD with such positive outlooks.
    :)
  • DebSozo
    Options
    Flybeetle wrote: »
    First day I've managed to fast 21 hours! I get so incredibly excited :) My stomach was fine but my brain fog was baaaad, so uncomfortable, I got a bit worried about it but luckily I've read lots of you had that the first few days, right?
    I used coconut oil right towards the end which helped my hunger but not the brain...

I had the brain fog and dull headache for a while. Han in there. It will pass.
  • Flybeetle
    Flybeetle Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Thanks @ DebSozo, the encouragement helps so much!
  • SavedByGrace26356
    SavedByGrace26356 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Hi Steve: So glad you joined us and sounds like you have OMAD in the bag. Awesome weight loss so far! Congrats!!
  • dajoloehr
    dajoloehr Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I didn't even know this was a thing! :)
    Hello everyone, my name is Danica and I started doing IF Jan. 2, but I started at an extreme and am only eating 1 meal a day, and I love it. I started my journey April 2015 with Herbalife shakes, I don't think it was Herbalife products itself that are the miracle, but the idea of saving calories with shakes that tasted good and were easy to stick to. I lost 70lbs and gained back 20 last year. I read about IF somewhere on MFP forums and though I would try it. I am a binge eater, no denying that. I need to feel full so OMAD is perfect for me. Ive been drinking 3L+ or water during the day, and than have a "protein" coffee to end my fast sometime between 3-4pm than one huge glorious meal before 7pm that consists of lean meats and vegetables. I love that I can eat a little bit of, formally known as "NO", foods if I feel like it and not feel bad about it. Before if I ate and "NO" foods, it would result in me feeling like I failed and just stuffing everything I could see in my face.
    I'm starting this @ 260 as of Jan.2 and Im down to 255. My goal wight is 190, Im 6'1 and I have no desire to be too small, just healthy.
  • Flybeetle
    Options
    Welcome Danica, what a great result you've already had so far!
  • DebSozo
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Hi Danica! (Pretty name)-- great start and welcome to the group!
  • blambo61
    Options
    Hi Danica and Steve!
  • danacbayley
    danacbayley Posts: 9 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Started if 19/5 on Jan 4. Down 6 pounds. Today I decided to try Omad. Found i was more hungry during the am and early afternoon, drinking only coffee than I was around an hour before my meal at 6pm. I ate a normal/large meal ( full plate - 900 calories ) but feel the like I binged. But, I've eaten way more food at once than that before and never felt so icky. Anyone else experience this?

Torn between 19/5 and OMAD. Hubby noticed that I was really happy, positive and in control on 19/5 and thinks I shouldn't fix what is working. Thoughts?

Doing this mainly for weight loss...and to not let food control me. Aiming to lose 40 pounds.

• Flybeetle
    edited January 2017
    Options
    @danacbayley congratulations on your awesome results so far!
    What was your reason/motivation for trying OMAD? I think it helps to know what you'd like to get out of OMAD, this will also help you deal or get used to any discomfort you might experience at the start of OMAD. Some people on here (including me) still space out their one meal over a certain amount of time. I know of one OMAD-er who eats part of their meal then has a half hour break before eating the rest. I think the great thing about IF is that you can try out and tweak different protocols to suit YOU. Some people absolutely love feeling stuffed, others, like me and you, can't stand that feeling, perhaps because we're programmed to think it's "bad" to be that full, and we can take a bit (or a lot) longer to eat all our calories.
  • danacbayley
    danacbayley Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    @danacbayley congratulations on your awesome results so far!
    What was your reason/motivation for trying OMAD? I think it helps to know what you'd like to get out of OMAD, this will also help you deal or get used to any discomfort you might experience at the start of OMAD. Some people on here (including me) still space out their one meal over a certain amount of time. I know of one OMAD-er who eats part of their meal then has a half hour break before eating the rest. I think the great thing about IF is that you can try out and tweak different protocols to suit YOU. Some people absolutely love feeling stuffed, others, like me and you, can't stand that feeling, perhaps because we're programmed to think it's "bad" to be that full, and we can take a bit (or a lot) longer to eat all our calories.

@Flybeetle I appreciate your insight. I believe I am torn between "thinking " that by eating two adequately satisfying meals a day, I am somehow halting the results and eating too much food and that I "think" results could be seen faster if I only ate once a day. If that makes sense? But then, I get scared of potential hunger attacks (and binging) thinking of how long it will be until I get to eat my one meal and how I feel so full after (and somehow guilty at the same time....like I overate).

I suppose if all day I never had any hunger pains, I would like the one meal a day plan. Lol..who wouldn't? I believe you're right - everyone has to find what works for them.

Regardless, either method is better than the eat all I want, whenever I want and keep gaining!

• blambo61
    Options
    I say do what works for you, but it needs to work. I love feeling full, OMAD is a blessing for me because of that.
  • Flybeetle
    Options
    @danacbayley ah yes, I totally understand!
  • DebSozo
    Options
    @danacbayley... I think the great thing about IF is that you can try out and tweak different protocols to suit YOU. Some people absolutely love feeling stuffed, others, like me and you, can't stand that feeling, perhaps because we're programmed to think it's "bad" to be that full, and we can take a bit (or a lot) longer to eat all our calories.

I agree with this. I don't like feeling stuffed and icky either. When I was at a slimmer weight I was a really good intuitive eater and "knew" when I had eaten just right. I had a body with a good "set point" that faithfully steered me. I knew how to work with my body and read those signals telling me to eat less or more. I would love to get back to that natural rhythm again. But my body doesn't want to keep me at a lower weight like it did before. Now it fights me to go back to a higher weight.

• DebSozo
    edited January 2017
    Options

@Flybeetle I appreciate your insight.... I believe I am torn between "thinking " that by eating two adequately satisfying meals a day, I am somehow halting the results and eating too much food and that I "think" results could be seen faster if I only ate once a day. If that makes sense? ...

I suppose if all day I never had any hunger pains, I would like the one meal a day plan. Lol..who wouldn't? I believe you're right - everyone has to find what works for them.

Regardless, either method is better than the eat all I want, whenever I want and keep gaining!

This is the dilemma that I am faced with. Before starting OMAD, I was doing 17:7 ( 2MAD) intermittent fasting comfortably and ate no snacks in between the 2 meals (11 am brunch and 6 pm dinner). I found that eating a light low carb lunch like a salad with grilled chicken, for instance, and a small family dinner with a starch, veggie and protein worked well for me. But I was maintaining. I was simply staying the same weight.

I had hoped OMAD would be the answer because theoretically dropping the brunch and eating just one big meal makes sense. But I'm going to have to monitor the calories during the OMAD because I started eating more during the one meal, unfortunately over the holidays, and felt bloated and uncomfortable. I don't like feeling "too full" after one meal. On the other hand, I don't like just maintaining the same weight on 2MAD either. I think that I can sort this all out somehow to work.
  • 1MADGIRL
    1MADGIRL Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    ...your name or preferred username; Fly
    ...your weight: 57.4kg
    ...your height: 1.64m
    ...any past struggles you've faced or are facing: see below
    ...your goal weight range: 56kg (initially)
    ...the time of your OMAD: 6pm-ish (can't eat too much at once so I spread it out over a few hours at the moment)
    ...and your OMAD start date: 08jan'17, work in progress!

Hi, just taking the leap and introducing myself even though I'm still in the process of transferring from IF 16/8 to OMAD, I hope that's alright. I've been on here "stalking" posts and marvelling at the supportive OMAD community you've shaped, and I hope to hop on board.
    I have been logging with MFP for 4 years, lost 4kg straight away and was at my happiest weight before falling pregnant. Didn't gain too much weight through sheer willpower but can't seem to shake those last kilos again (I know I'm lucky to not have a whole lot to lose; however carving off those last kilos would still mean a lot). The willpower to fight cravings and hunger just isn't the same after a baby, perhaps.
    When I discovered IF 16/8 about 3 months ago I found the biggest benefit to be the relief from thinking about, scheduling, craving, and resisting food. For half the day. It still left me with 8 hours of this "food restlessness". I admire people who can just have a massive breakfast and then not think about food until 1pm. I'm not like that. I want more of that peace and calm I get during my fast, it feels like a holiday!
    I read about others on another IF group talk about OMAD, and I have been slowly trying it out. I feel a bit like I'm committing a crime because, other than my husband, no one knows I'm skipping out on the daily food stress-train by not eating during the day whilst everyone else is thinking about lunch, pondering their next snack, or trying to resist the office cookies. I know lots of people would think it's weird that I'm doing this, so that's why I'm glued to this OMAD group where it's the norm, and considered healthy!

You and are are very similar. I'm sure we will be great OMAD friends. :) I'd love to track progress with you