Let's get started

Options

Replies

• 77Bailey77
    77Bailey77 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Quick pop in to say Hello and hope you are all well. I am so pleased to have it my Fitbit goals each day this week and also to be just under my calories every day. The scales aren't showing a loss yet but I'm not too concerned I'm sure I'm doing ok!

It's nearly the weekend wishing you all a great one. BM xx
  • 77Bailey77
    Options
    Good Morning all, hope you are having a good start to your weekend. I am delighted to say I have lost 1.5lb this week. I know last weeks was a lot more but this weeks is fat and not water weight! I have a pile of ironing to do now, it's been a very humid week here so no point in doing the laundry, yesterday wasn't too bad so I had to wash days worth in one so it would dry for me to iron today. I shall put a bbciplayer radio play on and listen whilst I iron. Hopefully it will make it a little less painful!

Here's wishing you can all get a little relaxation time in this weekend (I am going to knit all day after the laundry is done).

Take care, BM x
  • PortiaBentley
    PortiaBentley Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Hello Crackers I've been enjoying the posts but had little time for responding. It's been very busy at work but it seems to be going well and my contract has been extended until 30 June so that's good! Eating and exercise have been taking a back seat due to long work days and a long journey to work coupled with bad weather have left me with little time for anything else.

My weekend is going to be good. I went to a little folk concert last night and am off to sing Messiah later today. Tomorrow will be time to do some housework and ironing. Having said that the next couple of weeks at work won't slow down but I'm off to Valencia on the 4th for a week. I really can't wait and I'll get some exercise then as my friends do about 20000 steps a day.....

Well done BM you are doing really well and as we all know 1.5lbs is good weekly loss!
    Hope it's not too cold and snowy for you in Canada Bracken?

It's so good to have goals MITM and BM good luck but remember that it's all about feeling good about yourself and not about the numbers.

Well yesterday was yet another bad day for the world. Did you ever hear such stupidity. Having a bombastic self-obsesses mysoginist who has never allowed anyone to tell him the truth and get away with it in charge of so much is truly terrifying. And of course here the consequences of brexit are starting to be felt. My last lot of heating oil was nearly double the price not to mention fuel costs getting to work going up. With politicians spouting opposing ideas in the same breath (free trade but protecting our own). At this rate I'll never be able to retire!!!
    Well before I get too depressed I'd better stop.

Take care Crackers

PB xxx
  • mummyinthemountains
    mummyinthemountains Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    Good Evening Crackers!

A quick pop in from me before bed. Well a first for me - I lost weight (I don't care if it's only 0.4!!!) during the birthday week of my husband and best friend. I made 2 cakes, an almond and orange one as requested for my friend which after our slice with lashings of cream and a cup of tea, I wrapped up the remainder and sent it home with her - result! For my husband he wanted brownies, perfect, so I froze what was left over in portions to be taken out on Sundays after our weekly hike, I have his waist line as well as my own to consider!!

I must apologize for my absence although I always pop in at breakfast time but I have been too busy to respond. We've never had so many orders for January before. It is the coldest January in Austria for 30 years - does this make people eat more schlipfkrapfen who knows, but we're having to work around the clock to keep up with no let up in sight...

So my exercise plans are still on hold for the time being. The new fitness clothes arrived. The capri styled exercise trousers as I tried them on, it occurred to me, this could be what putting on a wet suit feels like! However once I successfully pulled them on which involved burning calories, it's like a firm second skin holding me in shape! Of course the top is the complete opposite and is where you need support - however not moving I looked the part!! Still time will tell...

Congratulations BM on your weight loss - fantastic results. And as the numbers go down you can only feel better. Your decision to go on this trip is amazing, do you know the other passengers, are you part of an online knitting group similar to our set up with needles instead of scales?!

PB so pleased to hear you are content (apart from Trump/Brexit) and that your contract has been extended brilliant! Your trip should be great too.

Bracken I hope you are not snowed in and that you are out and about?

Well before I depart, I forgot to report on my return from the UK I experienced a non scale victory! My Mother in her seventies met up with her old boss in her eighties for lunch. She owns a Bridal shop where my wedding dress 28 years ago, came from which I'm sure I've mentioned in passing, I had to have silk panels sewn into the sides by the brilliant seamstress a week before the wedding so it would fit!!!! It fitted perfectly in the January but I was living in Jersey at the time and the next time my Mother set eyes on me, in April I was a stone heavier and the buttons from the neckline to the waist would no longer meet! Anyway her boss remembering this asked did I still have a weight problem?!! And my Mother said ' Goodness me no, she's now very, very slim and has been for years.' My Mother has never described me as slim and 'VERY, VERY' - I was absolutely speechless!!

Be good Crackers!

• brackenmh
    brackenmh Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Hello Crackers. I've just enjoyed a catch-up with recent posts and re-read your inspiring post about resolutions and goals, MITM. It fits nicely with my re-reading of Beck's book which I have too long neglected and felt that I knew it all; in fact, there is much that I have forgotten!I'm glad to hear Crackers are doing so well. BM, you attitude and subsequent weight loss are great to hear; PB, congrats on having your contract extended and good wishes for a fine holiday, it sounds as if you'll get some good walking in- I am quite envious of the long walks you do; MITM, you are setting an example of weight maintanance and are rightly able to give yourself credit as Beck would have you do. You are understandably busy with your schlipfkrapfen so don't apologise for lack of posts- though of course, we do enjoy all your posts.
    We have had bizarre weather. After weeks of very cold weather and a lot of accumulation of snow, for the past ten days we have had a lot of rain, higher than normal temps, deep fog, and the melting of all that snow. It has left my back yard very muddy so that whenever I let Nellie out, she needs quite a wash down of feet and belly before coming back in. Two nights ago, at 11:15 I was bringing Nellie in from her 'pee-time' (there is no direct door to the back yard from my house so I have to put her on a leash and take her out a side door, only about twenty feet). We were walking towards the bucket of water to wash off, when she make a violent lunge and ripped the leash out of my hands. She was off like a shot but instead of making the short circuit that she usually makes when she has escaped on occasion and coming back, she went out of sight down the street. I had to get a biscuit to entice her and got into my truck and started driving down the street and calling her. I saw her once and then she disappeared. I ended up driving for a solid hour around and around neighbouring streets. I was on the main street coming into the village, and was giving up and heading home, when I saw her in a parking lot. She did come when I called her- right into the middle of the street. Thankfully there were no vehicles around. She was very subdued when she got into the truck
    and remained subdued when we got home. I was so thankful to have found her.
    Last week was the first meeting of the year for my writing group and once again it was a minefield of food! I have always thought that eating out with a group was not one of my problems but I have come to the conclusion this is only true if it is a large group and no one is offering me food and I can either take it or not. What happened at the meeting was that one member (slim and likes to eat!) brought large cupcakes with a fancy icing for everyone; I am not even that fond of cupcakes but of course, accepted mine and ate it. The member hosting had also made brownies so then I ate one of them- they were frankly delicious and I would not have felt badly had that been my only indulgence. The brownies were small enough and made with black beans instead of wheat flour as the host has a wheat allergy (and of course, could not eat a cupcake- she too is very trim). I imagine there were at least 500 calories I did not need and of course, so much sugar. I know one can't just hide away when trying to lose weight but it does make it harder , for me at least. Today I received an invitation from one of the group members to meet for lunch. At least, I'll be able to decide what to order. She is a very interesting person, the oldest member of the group at over eighty but very active. She has already written a long family history of her pioneering ancestors which is in the London Library. Her family donated land for a conservation area and a museum from the family homestead.
    Must off and get to some jobs on today's agenda. Regards.
  • brackenmh
    Options
    Hello Crackers. A pop-in on a rather cold, miserable day that has kept me indoors except for a brief excursion to get some photocopying done at the local variety store and a stop at the village grocery. Since I only needed a few items I could not be bothered to go the more expansive, better store about five minutes away. I wanted to make copies of a chart for monitoring weight loss in five pound increments from the Beck book. Beck wants dieters to only set five pound goals at a time, achieve them and then set the next five pound goal and so on. I had completely forgotten about that chart and to be honest, although I have done a lot of logging in a food diary I had never used that chart so hope it will prove to be one more tool in the arsenal!
    We have a fairly light covering of snow again and it actually makes it easier with Nellie as she does not get as dirty as she did with the recent thaws and mud.
    I spent part of the day continuing my so-called spring cleaning or what my sister calls deep cleaning. I have shredded inordinate amount of paper for recycling. Previously I have keep old tax records, receipts, bank statements, etc. for too long, so much of this decluttering should have been done before. However, it is quite satisfying to have made such a significant inroad through the forest of paper. Also because I don't completely trust myself with my computer security, I do not do on-line banking and get bill statements on-line.
    Off now to get Nellie's dinner. Regards.
  • mummyinthemountains
    Options
    Good Afternoon Crackers!

'If you want to lose weight and keep it off, whether or not you "feel" like doing something (e.g. resisting a craving, grocery shopping for healthy food) just isn't relevant. Ask yourself, "which do I MORE not feel like: working on healthy eating, or remaining overweight?" ' Beck.

When I logged in my weight gain yesterday, I have to confess to feeling pretty mad with myself! I survive a trip to the UK with treats thrown in, 2 birthday cakes in the one week and then I allow my workload to become an excuse to sticking my head in the fridge at midnight...

However today is the 1st February - fresh start and I'm looking back on January more favorably! On the plus side I didn't gain in the UK and oh how I could have, I ate 2 slices of delicious cake - not like I went without, just annoyingly I allowed "tiredness" not work, to become an issue and made some silly decisions like opening the fridge door, rather than taking myself off to bed promptly! But overall as fortunately I had lost earlier in the month I'm only 0.2 pounds heavier than at the start of January no big deal, so I've reevaluated my goals and accept I need to go to bed and stop hanging around in the kitchen after finishing work late at night!

I was also weary I realize now because before the work orders flooded in (most unexpected in January) I stripped and cleared our bedroom to begin painting and once I started, I couldn't just pack up and stop. However I now have a beautifully finished bedroom, which I'm very pleased with and I'm so glad I've done it.

The daughter who like most students is very stressed but revising hard, has had some unexpected good news yesterday. I don't think I mentioned she was selected to go to Poland last October (2 students from every college/school get chosen) as part of the Lessons From Auschwitz program run by the Holocaust Education Trust for a long, day trip leaving at 2am and returning at midnight. Needless to say my daughter found it all very moving and she is now involved in going into schools and talking about the experience. So for the Holocaust Memorial day last week, she spoke for one minute at the Parkes Institute and yesterday she received an invitation to meet at a later date, one of the academics at the Parkes Institute to discuss her academic future and a possible MA in Jewish History and Culture. She doesn't take her A-levels until the summer but this is her long term dream and makes her present hard work (and ours!!) all worthwhile.

Bracken - I hope Nellie is behaving? And I loved the thought of you trotting off to do your photocopying and I so hope it will help in your quest!!

Be good Crackers!
  • 77Bailey77
    Options
    MITM your Daughter is an absolute star. To know what she wants to do with her life at her young age is so special. Not only that, she is working so hard at achieving it too. I am certain she has a very bright future and we will be hearing lots from her in the future with books written and documentaries. It is such an important part of our history and I sincerely believe it should never be forgotten.

I am still plodding on with my healthy eating and desire to be fit. I stayed the same weight wise this week but not too bothered as I feel so much better in myself and to me that's as important as the weight loss. I am wondering if I am finally starting to like/accept myself now at this weight and living my life for today instead of my always thinking my life will be better when I am slim, and sort of always having my life on hold until I reach this "magical" goal weight? I have no doubt I will be absolutely delighted when I do reach it, but I think it is important I am realising I need to like who I am now at this weight as no one is going to wave a magic wand over me to achieve that the day I am the "correct" weight. I hope I am making sense?! My main aims for the first time ever, are that I want to be happy with myself and healthy. Any weight loss that happens alongside this will be a massive plus. I reached almost 12000 steps yesterday so I am pleased with how it's all going so far. Having alternate rest days now though (Swimming instead) as my trainers need replacing so I don't want to risk the shin splints I feel may develop. I am off to the UK in a couple of weeks so am replacing them and my walking clothes whilst there.

Bracken you are inspiring me to sort out the drawers full of paperwork I have. I would think the majority of which requires shredding. I don't know why I am delaying it or quite why I dislike doing it so much but like yourself I will be glad to get it underway.

PB, LMV, hope all is OK in your parts of the world xx

Things are slowly starting to return to normal here now after Chinese NEw Year. (Thank goodness!) There is a new large boat outside in the Marina with a 6seater helicopter on it. We are quite used to the smaller two people helicopters on the yachts but this is so loud it is dreadful. Unfortunately they think it is fun to take off and land at all hours which scares Harry to death, (poor thing keeps thinking it is thunder). I am not a violent person but if I could fly one I would take it and dump it in the ocean! Sorry, rant over
  • 77Bailey77
    Options
    Ooh, for some reason my post was chopped in half! I don't have time now to write it all again just now so I'll wish you all a great day xx
  • mummyinthemountains
    Options
    BM - you are making perfect sense to me and good for you! As Beck says "It's important to start working on enriching your life NOW, even if you're not yet where you want to be in terms of weight loss. The more pleasurable things you have going on the less and less you'll turn to food to fulfill that role. You don't have to go fast, you just have to go. Losing weight, if you're being reasonable with your eating, often isn't very fast but eventually you'll get where you want to be. And keep in mind that every pound you lose feels better than being that pound heavier, so there is so much to appreciate along the way." So BM just keep doing what you're doing!

I also came across the perfect quote for me and tiredness!! "If you think 'I'm so tired, I have to eat' remind yourself that while eating may be a (very) temporary fix, ultimately sleep is what your body needs, not food, so eating won't help. Ask yourself 'Do I want to be tired and overweight, or just tired?' Good old common sense from Beck!!

Be good Crackers!
  • brackenmh
    Options
    Hello Crackers. I enjoyed reading the recent posts earlier today and now am back to do my own. Sorry that your post was partly wiped out, BM. Looking forward to the rest of it later.
    MITM, I can see that your Beck is not just a book you have read but you continue, as I think they say in the fashion world about showing an outfit, to'work it.' It is very instructive to me to see how you continue to engage and keep your weight gains so very manageable. You have certainly been very busy and being tired to me is something that can potentially really undermine one's efforts. On the note about your daughter, you must be very proud of her. I am very impressed with how focused she is and being invited to do the MA work is surely a significant achievement.
    BM, you have articulated very well the issue of wanting to lose weight but realising the importance of liking oneself at the moment and as importantly, focusing on being healthy. It is not easy, I think, because to keep motivated to lose weight one must be dissatisfied with one's weight at present; yet, being so dissatisfied can make one negative, disheartened, depressed. Keeping a sense of yourself apart from your weight is not always easy to do - especially in our society that puts so much emphasis on appearance. It's a delicate balance.
    Good on you with doing 12,000 steps and also your swimming.
    I'm plodding along too. I have not been exercising as much as I want to, partly because of the weather, very cold here again and snow-covered again. I have continued to have some recurring digestive problems which have kept me from indoor exercise but hope to get back to that in the next couple of days. I am continuing to read my way through Beck and trying to pay close attention so that I can 'work' the ideas better.
    On a different note, the birds at my feeders have continued to delight me. I have a real variety and the past two days, I have had a very showy red-bellied woodpecker. I may have mentioned this bird before but it is not very common and I always associate it with my mother who loved feeding the birds. She had one of these woodpeckers routinely and always called it
    her "red-headed darling." On a down note, yesterday I twice saw my neighbour's cat hiding under the cedar bushes where the small birds shelter and feel safe between their forays to the feeders. I hate to say anything to her about keeping the cat away as she is in her mid-eighties, a lovely woman, and has grownup with the idea that cats should be allowed to roam. However, I shall feel dreadful if a bird is taken at my feeders.
    Another bit of sadness today too. Our media have been reporting that a prominent Canadian environmentalist and documentary filmmaker (Rob Stewart) has disappeared after a dive in the Caribbean Wednesday. There has been a massive search but I'm afraid it does not look good. The story struck me particularly because some years ago, I heard him speak. He made a film called, "Sharkwater" which was instrumental in calling attention to the issue of the destruction of shark species for food and especially, the cruel practice of 'finning' whereby sharks are captured, their fins (a delicacy!!) cut off, and they are thrown back into the ocean alive to suffer a prolonged and painful death. He was so passionate and dedicated to his work with ocean species.
    I am slowly reading, "A Dog's Purpose" which I was given at Christmas but it too has a lot of sadness so I think that is enough for today- I'll comment on it later.
    Regards.
  • brackenmh
    Options
    Popping in today, Crackers, as the weather continues quite miserable and I am rather housebound. Not a lot has happened here but since I'm posting I'll make some comments about "A Dog's Purpose." I am over half way through the book but am having to parcel it out as I find it very emotional. Today's reading session was particularly emotional and had me weeping quite copiously. I really am a sop, I guess, for animals. I must say the book is not all sadness; in fact, there is a great deal of unbridled joy and even humour in the story. Although it is far from a great work of literature, the writer has given a compelling and realistic story told from the dog's point of view. I read a lot of literary fiction which I'll enjoy but not in the same way; this book draws you in and lets you read in that immersed, unreflective way that is more common in childhood reading where a story, no matter how improbable can seem very real. Need I say that Black Beauty was a great love of my childhood but also books about people- all of the Ann of Green Gables books were a favourite but many more including The Count of Monte Cristco, The Three Musketeers, The Scarlet Pimpernell and when I was twelve, I devoured my mother's copy of Gone With the Wind vaguely aware that its treatment of slavery was romanticised but most taken in by the wilful Scarlet O' Hara (sp?); my wise mother let me know that perhaps the truly strong character in the novel was the long suffering Melanie whom she later named one of my sister's after. I did not read Huckleberry Finn until I was a young adult but later taught it for many years. I used to read passages to my students and the climactic episode of the novel in which Huck decides to go against his upbringing and try to save his black friend, Jim, even if it sends him to hell was always hard to get through without my voice breaking. I think it is a great shame, here anyway, that the novel is seldom taught now because Twain uses the n.. word which was very common at the time. Political correctness often seems to run amuk and teachers are not trusted to be able to handle a subject with sensitivity. It is such a shame as the black Jim is such a positive character in the novel. Well. I have quite run on once I started on this topic so will leave here.Regards all.
  • 77Bailey77
    Options
    Hello ladies, its been a while since we've chatted so just want to say Hi and hope this email finds you all well. I m off to the UK next week and am dreading the packing! even though I have lost weight and think I am a different shape it will still be what fits instead of what I would like to take.

Have a great week, thinking of you all,
    BM xx
  • brackenmh
    Options
    Hello Crackers and a Happy Valentine's day to all. It's been a nice day here at 4C and sunny so again another respite after a few cold days and snow again. Tomorrow back to more snow and colder but I was able to take advantage of today to give Nellie a nice walk and she has had some good time in the yard too.
    I had an appointment with my family physician today and I made her and the receptionist a pot of blackcurrant jam to mark the day. Both were very appreciative so I was well thanked. My doctor is extremely hardworking and I think it is easy to overlook a personal thanks, thinking that, oh well she is getting paid for it.
    BM, I will wish you well on your upcoming trip. Do not dismiss the strides you have made with your weight. Having clothes fit after a period of being tight and uncomfortable is a very fine step.
    The paperwhites I mentioned previously have come into bloom today and their fragrance has filled this den.
    On the weekend, I finished reading A Dog's Purpose, not without a few more tears, and smiles as well. I'd really recommend it.
    Regards all.
  • brackenmh
    Options
    Hello Crackers. I know it is rather quiet here at the moment so I hope no one minds that I am rather dominating the space. I'm finding it is helping me stay focused on my goals and I enjoy expressing my thoughts. BM, you are surely tied up with your upcoming trip rapidly approaching. MITM, I see you have logged in recently but get tired just thinking about how busy you get. PB I think of you too and again recall your last post indicated how tiring your job was (a long commute too as I recall) but it was good to hear that you were also very active in pursuits not job related. LMV, thinking of you and hoping that you are having a more positive beginning to the year that your past year.
    I am quite house bound again by weather- very cold and snowy for the past two days. I had a nice surprise today when the woman where I used to board my horses dropped in for a visit. It is hard to believe that I have known her for forty years. When I first left the stable, in large part because it had become increasingly difficult to get there because of the traffic route, (it was also around the time of my mother's illness), she was not very happy with me. It was only last year that she came to see me. I was very glad as we had such a long history and I had spent so much time at that stable. The thing about having a horse is that is a 365 day a year proposition so I spent so much time at the stable. Anyway we had a lovely visit and I was very glad that I had made some pickles in the fall so I could give her a jar of my chili sauce and also a jar of bread and butter pickles that I make from a recipe from my grandmother. As soon as she saw them she said they looked like the pickles her mother used to make. It is quite likely they shared a recipe because my grandparents knew her parents many years ago when both farmed in the same neighbourhood. I promised to visit the stable in the spring.
    A warmup is promised for the weekend so I'm hoping to get more walking in.
    Regards.
  • 77Bailey77
    Options
    Always lovely to read your posts Bracken xx
    I am definitely starting packing today! I fly Sunday and haven't started yet, it won't take me too long hopefully. I always think as long as I remember my purse and passport anything I have forgotten can be bought in the U.K. and everything I do remember is a bonus. OH is always on at me to write lists but I am not as organised as him so I think he just gives up with me! ( he's ex Navy so he's quite regimented in how he does most things). I drive him nuts frequently, but he just says I am the most disorganised, procrastinater he has ever met. Thankfully he is a lovely calm person so we very rarely have words about it :)

I have just had a manicure and pedicure which is torturous to me, I don't like anyone in my space or touching me, so I am tense and rigid for the whole time. Tomorrow I have my monthly cut and colour and that will hopefully be all the "pampering" over for a month.

My eldest Son whom I am staying with for the 3 weeks was called into work on his week off yesterday and has to work away from home for a month so I will be on my own all day, every day......again! Then last night OH informed me that the day before I arrive back here in Singapore he is off to Norway for a few weeks. I know he can't get out of it as one of his vessels is having a few problems but I am still shocked and left thinking everywhere I arrive people are leaving! I'm sure I will be able to see friends and family on occasion in the UK and I have the joy that is my knitting so I'm certain it will all be OK (!)

On a very happy note to end, I am almost a couple of pound lighter this week and official weigh in is tomorrow so I might reach the 2lb mark. I haven't been able to swim or do much walking due to the monsoon weather here this week and my loss had not been brilliant the last couple of weeks, so I am doubly pleased my healthy eating is working and I have plodded on. Let's just hope I can keep it up whilst in the UK. I was excellent last winter at home ( it was the first time I hadn't gained weight whilst there, so I remember it well!).

Well I've procrastinated Long enough and rambled on but the packing is still there to do, so off I go.

Wishing you all a great weekend,
    BM xx
  • brackenmh
    Options
    A really quick pop-in but enjoyed your post, BM, and am very pleased for you that you are getting good results on your weight loss efforts and are given a nice boost before your trip. Safe journey.
  • brackenmh
    Options
    Unbelievable how it has gone from -4C to 12C and sunny today. Reports say we will have a week of unusually warm weather, nice but nature is such a delicate balance and it would not take much to bring on buds and plants too early, only to be decimated by an inevitable return to cold weather. My paperwhites are in full bloom now and their fragrance permeates from the upstairs den right to the downstairs rooms. I don't have a great nose for subtle fragrance so really like paperwhites and am thinking that next year I should buy several lots of them and plant them so I have a succession of blooms over the winter months as they are a real pick-me-up. Off now to take Nellie for another walk today- she is liking this change too.
  • brackenmh
    Options
    The mild spell continues here with temperatures for today and yesterday at 17/18C- far too high and now concerning as trees may bud only to be frozen later. Sunday is supposed to be cooler. I like a milder spell but would be quite happy with 5C. I've been able to walk Nellie even twice a day and today I also plan to go to the stable with her. My brother who lives in the country saw a large flock of robins in his wood on Monday, again rather early for their return. They can't be helped at a bird feeder as they are not seed eaters but like worms, bugs and will eat some wild berries. I had been wondering whether my chipmunk survived the winter as I had not seen him during this mild spell when his kind will emerge from hibernation. Then yesterday, behold I saw him running to the garage- he has wintered there not under the front step. He looked rather thin. I took out some bird seed and left it in the garage and it soon disappeared. Today after walking Nellie, I did a short bike ride- very unusual for this time of year.
    For the past three weeks my weight has not shifted despite being diligent with logging my food, staying within calorie goals. So today and yesterday I have been doing my version of intermittent fasting. I say my version because some of the material I have read is absolutely rigid about no sugar at all, no fat, and of course no carbs. I have stuck to green veg only, protein (but I use a bit of dairy protein usually forbidden) and make the meat and fish palatable with a tiny bit (a teaspoon or two) of sauce like ketchup. I also have a protein bar which has 15g protein and only 1g of sugar which is useful.This way I am under 10g. of sugar and very low fat. I am definitely low calorie and the protein is about 90% of what I am having. I'm not sure if it leads to faster weight loss but I think it does help reset the rest of the diet days- if only because those restrictions then seem so much less than the 'fast' days. I was doing well with that last winter and am sorry I abandoned it though 4-6 weeks like that seems enough at a time. What I'd like to do is use this strategy for some weeks, then take a break to another diet strategy and then go back and forth to it. Perhaps this is what Beck means about needing to have two diet plans.
  • mummyinthemountains
    Options
    Good Evening Crackers!

I cannot quite believe it has been 3 weeks since I last posted but I've had a very busy, busy month but finally we have a few days respite from the sight of potatoes!

BM - I have a permanent travelling list which I keep in my filofax at all times! These days I so easily forget things I have ongoing lists everywhere for everything; chores to do, shopping to buy, things I would like to do... - like post! Have a super time in Wales and I trust your other son and daughter and grandchildren will be on hand to occupy your time!

And as Beck says 'Many, many people gain weight during holidays. Even if you maintain your weight, you should be extremely proud of yourself. Make sure you have goals that are reasonable but don't let yourself off the hook too much. You want to stay accountable and in control but you also want to be reasonable and realistic. Maintenance might be the middle ground.' Good luck!

BRACKEN - I too always enjoy your posts! Your mention of Huckleberry Finn bought back delightful childhood memories, as every 6 week, summer school holidays they would show the series every day on the TV and I watched it every year! Concerning the weather I know what you mean. After the coldest January on record in Austria, we had our first real snow of the winter this month on the 6th. Clearing a path almost killed me the effort! I'd forgotten after such a mild winter last year, how heavy snow is so I'm either unfit or getting old or I suspect both!! However this week has been unseasonably warm, the snow has disappeared I didn't need to put the central heating on until 5pm and tomorrow the forecast is 20°c and then at the weekend, back to minus and snow! I spotted my first crocus today in the garden (is Wales covered in daffodils?) and I can see shoots peeping their heads up and unfortunately buds beginning in the trees. Last year our apricot tree got caught by the frost. Nature is like politics you cannot not foresee what is around the next corner.

Well Beck has been in my thoughts a lot of late. 'If you think, "I don't want to get on the scales because "I think I've gained weight," remind yourself that this is actually when it's most critical to get on the scales to hold yourself accountable. It's important to find out if you've gained so you can figure out what mistakes you may have made and correct them. Once you face facts you start the process of changing them.'

So I stepped on the scales and surprise, surprise NOT I had gained 2 pounds. It all started with an innocent white iced donut filled with vanilla cream from the pattissere in town and they only make them in the month leading up to Lent, thank goodness! It just set me off and I scoffed more sugar in that week than I normally do in a month.

Not helped in the slightest the following week, I had the pleasure of my husband home ALL week and it was no holiday but a long hard week of work, work, work! I won't say and 'no play' as he did insist upon dragging me daily on our uphill hike every afternoon. However bearing in mind he is a chef he also plied me with food all week as he did the cooking so thank goodness for the calorie burning walks as somehow I managed to at least not gain further.

Which leads me onto another Beck gem 'I'm discouraged by the weight I've gained, now is a GREAT time to get back on track and recommit yourself to healthy eating. It doesn't matter what you did or didn't eat over the past few weeks, what matters is what you eat today and everyday going forward.'

Well with the husband now back at his day job, no excuses as I'm in charge of the kitchen again and what I pop into my mouth! I hope Bracken your version of intermittent fasting does the trick to get you losing again. I am still the same weight as I started the New Year so I'm not yet going backwards but I would like to go forwards and shift these 2 pounds and get back to target before I go the UK because just around the next corner is my birthday, Easter, my wedding anniversary... I think it might be a good idea to give up chocolate for Lent as I see a future month of chocolate temptation on the horizon!

Be good Crackers!

P.S. I think Beck is my new dieting bible!!