The Truth About Exercise at a Calorie Deficit

Replies

• arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    http://www.zoeharcombe.com/standalone/1lb-does-not-equal-3500-calories/ what do you guys think about this? I was reading this today

Ignore all of that stuff. Just ignore it.
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    How do you know what your cortisol levels are? Just using how stressed you feel as a gauge?
  • Alicia09NYC
    Alicia09NYC Posts: 34 Member
    Hi i have 50 pounds to loose. As it is i am used to walk an average of 2-3 miles a day. I have started a gym and i am going and do 15 min bike and some crunches,squats and get in the sauna. That also helps me w the night time difficult time of eating and drinking wine.
    I have started w smaller breakfast ans no lunch and small dinner.
    Since dinner is the worse i think that should be my meal .
  • SavedByGrace26356
    SavedByGrace26356 Posts: 544 Member
    Hi Alicia: Whatever works for you so you can get to one meal a day is a good starting place. I ate a very small lunch and a regular dinner then kept narrowing my feeding window until I ate one meal at dinner. Sounds like you have a good plan.
  • Alicia09NYC
    Would a protein beverage do it?
  • SavedByGrace26356
    SavedByGrace26356 Posts: 544 Member
    The reason Bob said you should try to skip breakfast and wait until noon to eat is once you eat or drink something with calories you will break your fast and your blood sugar rises. The program works when you skip breakfast, eat at noon and try narrowing your feeding window. You can have iced or hot tea, water, or calorie free beverage until you eat a small lunch. That way you're fasting all night and morning.
  • Alicia09NYC
    I did. Today is my second day. Lost 2 pounds. I am trying but i get humgry by 3pm
  • Alicia09NYC
    Thanks...i worked out before eating so its a better management than eating and then working out.
    Doing a lot of teas
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Great going, Alicia.
  • 1MADGIRL
    1MADGIRL Posts: 838 Member
    blambo61 wrote: »
    How do you know what your cortisol levels are? Just using how stressed you feel as a gauge?

I get tested. Blood and urine tests.
  • Alicia09NYC
    Thanks for the encouragement
  • Alicia09NYC
    I am having issues as to determine how many calories to eat...i am quite loss resistant. But i have the issue of feeling deprived which is the psychological part that brings me to binge.
    i sit all day and what have been doing for the last 9 months is walk to and from work to train station which is on average 3 miles total that is 10K steps...my body is used to it actually helps me to decompress after work.
    If i dont have some wine then i dont sleep good and wake on average 2 times, i dont want to take any melatonin because then i feel groggy.
    I have watched all the videos of youtube and have helped. Any suggestions to determine a good deficit? I am actually eating 1000 a day and working my way to eat at night because its easier as far as socializing.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited December 2016
    I am having issues as to determine how many calories to eat...i am quite loss resistant. But i have the issue of feeling deprived which is the psychological part that brings me to binge.
    i sit all day and what have been doing for the last 9 months is walk to and from work to train station which is on average 3 miles total that is 10K steps...my body is used to it actually helps me to decompress after work.
    If i dont have some wine then i dont sleep good and wake on average 2 times, i dont want to take any melatonin because then i feel groggy.
    I have watched all the videos of youtube and have helped. Any suggestions to determine a good deficit? I am actually eating 1000 a day and working my way to eat at night because its easier as far as socializing.

Use a TDEE calculator where activities are included (not MFP that is NEAT and will have to eat back exercise calories with NEAT). Then eat 500 calories less a day on average to lose I pound a week. If you are still really too hungry you can try eating TDEE minus 250 calories a day to lose 1/2 pound a week.
  • Alicia09NYC
    edited December 2016
    found it!! thanks DebSozo...somehow I was doing it a bit on the low side..work in progress. It takes time to fine tune and change old patterns
  • slurio
    slurio Posts: 4 Member
    If all I have to lose is 20 lb and just started OMAD, I don't exercise , will it help me ? I know it would it just makes sense that it will but it not being accompanied with exercises is not very efficient for me right?
  • blambo61
    slurio wrote: »
    If all I have to lose is 20 lb and just started OMAD, I don't exercise , will it help me ? I know it would it just makes sense that it will but it not being accompanied with exercises is not very efficient for me right?

Will OMAD help you or exercise? Not sure what your asking. I think your asking if OMAD will help you.
  • slurio
    slurio Posts: 4 Member

Will OMAD help you or exercise? Not sure what your asking. I think your asking if OMAD will help you.

Lol you're right, now that I read it again I don't get it either
    No problem though I decided on easing my way into working out by getting used to fasting for a few weeks first :)
  • blambo61
    slurio wrote: »

Lol you're right, now that I read it again I don't get it either
    No problem though I decided on easing my way into working out by getting used to fasting for a few weeks first :)

No problem!