John's OMAD journey

Options

Replies

• blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    Nice job, that is great! How many cals are you eating a day?
  • leveejohn
    leveejohn Posts: 346 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    blambo61 wrote: »

I am happy to report that I have no clue! In the past I have had some success with strict portion control, weighing food to the gram and looking up calories, macronutrients, etc. It always ended up by driving me crazy. I've never lasted more than 45 days on such a program.

I have been searching for a while for a way of eating / exercising / living that was NOT a program. In other words, I've been searching for a lifestyle change that I could adopt and stay on forever. I'm starting to think I've found one.

OMAD is so simple! And I'm quite lazy when it comes to personal planning and organization. OMAD takes less planning and organization than trying to have 3 meals a day. I don't have to worry about having a healthy breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Just a dinner where I know I will feel full.

All that being said, the only thing I'm really trying to avoid is refined sugar, although a little creeps in with flavored yogurt and stuff like that. A typical evening meal starts with 2 tbs ACV and 1 tsp honey in diluted grape juice (LOTS of sugar there! Just not unrefined cane sugar. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it), and typically has a large green salad with either olive oil or dressing, with a small avocado if available, and a reasonably full plate of food. Not heaping, but not spare either. The food is generally fresh food prepared at home, nothing packaged, but still pretty much a traditional "four food groups" meal. Not paleo, low carb, or anything like that. I feel quite full when I'm done, but I don't feel stuffed.

After that I'm usually done, although I may have a dessert of yogurt and grapes or skim milk and an apple an hour or two after dinner. Then I'm done, nothing but coffee, tea, and water until the next evening. I may have one diet soda a day, but lately I haven't been having that.

Sundays are my splurge day when I have "three squares".

No measuring. For me, that's important, if I'm going to live this way.
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    I don't count calories either, too much work!!!
  • SavedByGrace26356
    SavedByGrace26356 Posts: 544 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I've tried several ways to drink ACV but haven't been able to do it yet. I'll try this and see how I do. I'll find something that I can tolerate eventually.

Congratulations on the 5 pound loss. You're doing great!! When I started OMAD I did count calories but now I enjoy the freedom of not counting. I splurge every two weeks with lunch, dinner, and a dessert.
  • leveejohn
    Options
    @SavedByGrace26356 I have come to crave that ACV/honey/grape juice/water mixture. It's the first thing I want when I break my daily fast.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    I've been making salad dressing out of acv, olive oil and lots of Italian spices. It tastes like a vinaigrette over Spring greens, grape tomatoes, red onion slivers, English cuke, mozzarella balls, black olives, celery and carrots.

The holiday weight is starting to come off for me. I've cut back on white flour as it makes me bloat up and gain water weight for a few days after consuming a meal with a large proportion.

I seem to be able to have a little sugar as long as it is in combination with protein and fiber. This makes it lower glycemic, and I don't get hungry afterward like I do with a carb dish by itself.
  • DebSozo
    Options
    Is it Concord grape juice, John?
  • leveejohn
    edited January 2017
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »
    Is it Concord grape juice, John?

You made me go look ;) Yes it is. Nothing particular about this juice, except that I really like the combination of flavors.

One other thing I should note is that I started actually measuring out tablespoons of ACV, in my case using leftover medicine cups. A tablespoon was actually much more than me just filling a big spoon from the silverware drawer. Also, I could never pour from the ACV bottle without it trickling down and getting everywhere, until I started using a medicine cup.

welchs.com/products/100-juices/grape-100-juices/100-grape-juice
  • DebSozo
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I watched a video that said that dark purple veggies and fruits have a compound that helps one to lose weight. They said really dark purple plums and purple carrots are good also. I would imagine that Concord grapes must have it also.

ETA article~
    http://m.frasercoastchronicle.com.au/news/what-colours-our-plate-optimises-our-wellbeing/2171175/
  • Anneli_F
    Anneli_F Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    leveejohn wrote: »
    I am happy to report that I have no clue! In the past I have had some success with strict portion control, weighing food to the gram and looking up calories, macronutrients, etc. It always ended up by driving me crazy. I've never lasted more than 45 days on such a program.

I have been searching for a while for a way of eating / exercising / living that was NOT a program. In other words, I've been searching for a lifestyle change that I could adopt and stay on forever. I'm starting to think I've found one.

I'm with you on that, no counting here either, haven't done it once on OMAD. For me, that really signals that it's a lifestyle and not a temporary diet.

• leveejohn
    Options
    Anneli_F wrote: »
    it's a lifestyle and not a temporary diet.

Yes indeed!!! :):):)
  • blambo61
    Options
    blambo61 wrote: »

OMAD is so simple! And I'm quite lazy when it comes to personal planning and organization. OMAD takes less planning and organization than trying to have 3 meals a day. I don't have to worry about having a healthy breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Just a dinner where I know I will feel full.

All that being said, the only thing I'm really trying to avoid is refined sugar, although a little creeps in with flavored yogurt and stuff like that. A typical evening meal starts with 2 tbs ACV and 1 tsp honey in diluted grape juice (LOTS of sugar there! Just not unrefined cane sugar. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it), and typically has a large green salad with either olive oil or dressing, with a small avocado if available, and a reasonably full plate of food. Not heaping, but not spare either. The food is generally fresh food prepared at home, nothing packaged, but still pretty much a traditional "four food groups" meal. Not paleo, low carb, or anything like that. I feel quite full when I'm done, but I don't feel stuffed.

After that I'm usually done, although I may have a dessert of yogurt and grapes or skim milk and an apple an hour or two after dinner. Then I'm done, nothing but coffee, tea, and water until the next evening. I may have one diet soda a day, but lately I haven't been having that.

Sundays are my splurge day when I have "three squares".

No measuring. For me, that's important, if I'm going to live this way.

I hear ya. When I started I logged but gave it up after awhile and have only done a little sense. I never had a set calorie goal and would eat anywhere from a low of 1400 to a high of 3000 in an evening usually about 2000. I did that just to learn what food has in it. This diet was the first time I've ever logged anything. I gave up logging though cause I don't like taking the time to do it so I totally understand that! This way of eating can be truly liberating. Keep up the good work.
  • blambo61
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I've tried several ways to drink ACV but haven't been able to do it yet. I'll try this and see how I do. I'll find something that I can tolerate eventually.

Congratulations on the 5 pound loss. You're doing great!! When I started OMAD I did count calories but now I enjoy the freedom of not counting. I splurge every two weeks with lunch, dinner, and a dessert.

Easiest for me is mix with tart cherry and chase with vegetable juice. Hardly any after taste at all.
  • leveejohn
    Options
    Completed 5 weeks of OMAD. Down 1.5 lbs this week, 18.25 lbs total loss. Still loving this.cfibgqd4ikv0.png
  • blambo61
    edited February 2017
    Options
    That is some serious progress!
  • DebSozo
    Options
    Losing 18 pounds in 5 weeks is amazing!
  • leveejohn
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »
    Losing 18 pounds in 5 weeks is amazing!
    I keep thinking this can't be real! Probably like many of you, I've tried so many different things over the past 30 years (well, not many of you for the 30 years part, but you know . . . ). Nothing has worked this well. Waiting for that plateau . . . . . . I know it's coming.
  • vinyladdict
    vinyladdict Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Stellar progress! OMAD is the best.
  • leveejohn
    Options
    Thanks @vinyladdict, just read your plans for the superbowl, sounds like a wonderful splurge day!
  • Mom2annie
    Mom2annie Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    @SavedByGrace26356 I have come to crave that ACV/honey/grape juice/water mixture. It's the first thing I want when I break my daily fast.

Thank you for sharing this! It really is good.