Gastric Sleeve Friends

Replies

• I'm going to add a bunch of you. Today is 3 weeks from my sleeve surgery. Doing well so far.
  • akindofmagick
    akindofmagick Posts: 143 Member
    To add a friend, click on their username or picture at the left of their post. In the popup window, click on their username again. This takes you to a new screen (their public profile page), where you can click on "Add As A Friend" to send them a friend request. Boom! :)
  • normwon1
    normwon1 Posts: 2 Member
    Hi all - sleeved Jan 27 2017. New to MFP but glad to see some WLS folks here. Feel free to add me as a friend.

Any challenges happening for recent sleevers?
  • jamidub
    jamidub Posts: 4 Member
    Hi all,
    I was sleeved 10/12/16, 53 yrs old, HW 280, SW 259, CW 206. Onederland is in sight! But also my 75lb loss is nearer. I need to get back to basics and start tracking food again. I had an additional laparoscopic surgery on my lady parts last week that has sidelined me from exercise, which I started in early December. Once I lost the bloating weight, I'm back to losing again, but now have 7 probe sites instead of 5..... I've never been great at tracking my exercise on MFP, but maybe when I start back up I will make that a goal. I'd love to add new friends, so hopefully you all won't mind if I add those that said ok above? I have some non-bariatric friends on MFP, but it always feels like I'm cheating because I lose and they don't....so look forward to seeing bariatric results in my news feed!! Thanks and good luck to everyone on this journey. Jami
  • StevenGarrigus
    StevenGarrigus Posts: 234 Member
    Welcome @Lisidy! I think everyone knows the feeling of being afraid that the surgery won't work. Sometimes you will lose weight fast each week. Sometimes you will stall. Trust in the procedure, follow your doctor's recommendations and stay strong. The pounds will keep coming off.

I've had the same feelings and thinking it's not going fast enough, etc. But I look back on my surgery on 08/18/16 and realize it hasn't been quite six months yet (close). And in that time, I've lost 74lbs! Kinda puts it in perspective for me.
  • hi everyone - newbie here. sleeved on 1/26/17 and 2 days from starting purée stage (can't wait to chew - my sleeve doesn't like jello so i'm all liquids). I was wondering since I'm going to have to start counting protein intake, what should the daily goal percentages be set to? I can seem to figure this out.

stats: HW 283, SW 241.8, CW 231.8 (as of 1/31 dr visit) GW 150
  • Shull_rachael
    Shull_rachael Posts: 430 Member
    Hi everyone! I'm getting ready for gastric sleeve in 6weeks. I'm looking for supportive friends to help motivate me! Please add me or feel free to message me (=
  • necoady
    necoady Posts: 11 Member
    I was wondering since I'm going to have to start counting protein intake, what should the daily goal percentages be set to? I can seem to figure this out.

Hello,

Do you have a weight loss team? My surgeon and nutrition wanted me at 60 grams of protein per day the first 5 months (I'm 5 months and a week). Now, they want me at 100 grams of protein a day.

I know different teams, recommend different standards on protein.

Congrats and good luck to you!
  • JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    @underconstruction26 I think protein recommendation for women is 70+ grams. If you eat a balanced diet that shouldn't be too hard.
  • StevenGarrigus
    My surgeon recommended 70 for women, 80 for men. Once you are eating solid foods, it's not too hard to get your protein. Just remember to eat your protein first. I supplement my protein every day with a Premier Protein Chocolate Shake (30 grams) and an protein bar some days.
  • @necoady thanks for responding. I do have a team and I'm supposed to hit 70 a day. It's the setting up of My Fitness Pal that threw me off - I was trying to adjust my daily percentages in the diary area. I got it close enough to 70. I just won't worry about the fat or carb percentage
  • StevenGarrigus
    @necoady thanks for responding. I do have a team and I'm supposed to hit 70 a day. It's the setting up of My Fitness Pal that threw me off - I was trying to adjust my daily percentages in the diary area. I got it close enough to 70. I just won't worry about the fat or carb percentage

I didn't try adjusting my percentages on the site/app. I just go for 80 grams of protein and keep my carbs and sugars low. It's worked fine for me so far. Good luck!

• tarotaces75
    tarotaces75 Posts: 6 Member
    I was sleeved Sept 26, 2016. I am 37 years old and 5'2". HW-255 SW-220 CW-195. I just sent you a friend request. I log everything too. I hate that mfp won't allow me to close out my diaries because they are less than 1000 calories, but I still log it all anyway.

I too HATE that we don't get to 'close' our diaries, we don't get 5 week weight loss projections, etc either because we intake too few calories for their liking. I have sent a quick email letting MFP know that for weight loss surgery patients this is an unfair practice, and discriminatory. Our stomachs cannot hold more than 6 ounces or less at a time which makes getting 1000 calories or more a day difficult when you're eating LEAN protein and veggies IF there's room left over.

sorry... rant over.
  • MaraOfNaamah
    MaraOfNaamah Posts: 133 Member
    Good afternoon everyone! I am very newly post op, having just had my sleeve done Wednesday 2/08. I am trying hard to get all 60 g of protein that the nutritionist wants me to get in, since I can't have artificial sweeteners, and am not in love with the few protein shakes I can safely consume, but I am working on it! I know it's a marathon not a sprint, so I know it will get easier. :smile:
  • jcavanna2
    jcavanna2 Posts: 782 Member
    @MaraOfNaamah Congrats on your surgery! Have you tried Bariatric Eating's Inspire line? 20g of protein and taste good and well digested. I also really like Eat The Bear, Chike's coffee flavors and Click. Syntrax Nectar had a great chocolate truffle which I like as well as the Quest shakes. Quest may be a bit thick for you at first. If you are looking for ready to drink maybe also look at Oh Yeah ready to drink. They're good and high protein (I think 32g/bottle).
  • MaraOfNaamah
    MaraOfNaamah Posts: 133 Member
    @jcavanna2 Thank you for the suggestions. The Inspire line and Syntrax both have artificial sweeteners. I haven't checked into Eat the Bear, Chike, or Click, though I will. For me even a fairly small amount of artificial sweetener will trigger a fairly debilitating migraine complete with loss of peripheral vision, aura, pain, sickness, etc. And since I can't have the NSAIDs or Caffeine that I normal use to treat it, I have to make sure to avoid at all costs.
  • jcavanna2
    @MaraOfNaamah I totally understand migraines - I took topamax daily for almost 10 years and still take relpax when I get a migraine. I believe the Bariatric Eating Mexican Chocolate is made with stevia and Eat The Bear also makes a stevia shake. Click has sucralose and can't tell from the Chike label but here is a pic of the label

• jcavanna2
    rdorurg5tand.jpg