Those working on those last 10-15?

Options
erin3011
erin3011 Posts: 59 Member
I'm working on those "vanity pounds", as well as my NAFD. Anyone else in this boat? What are you doing to help melt those stubborn pounds/fat deposits? (Other than LCHF)

Replies

• suzc11
    suzc11 Posts: 79 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Wow. You certainly know where you're going midwesterner85! Hope the race prep goes well and you reach your short term goal. I'm 15 lbs away from my GW and have been running the macros again today after a month long plateau. I tried a new macro calculator and upped protein (a lot) and dropped some fat% for three weeks, but it was very, very hard to do with my available calories and I've gained 2 lbs. Never met the protein target and went over my deficit nearly everyday. Ho hum. Live and learn! Back to the old macro calculator and trying to stick to the new macros. I get out and walk an hour nearly everyday, but work is sedentary. Can't excercise lots as it triggers inflammation, so the calories are limited. Let's hope it works!
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to get rid of 14 lbs. I started the WOE in Aug. I plan to just keep eating this way. I am becoming more aware of calories, I had just been watching my macros. I am also trying IF but not a drastic version, I do 14:10.
    As my weight loss has slowed a lot. I think my body is just adjusting, I notice small changes in my clothes about once a week even if the scale doesn't move.

I walk (10k per day is my goal) and do some strength training with dumbbells, and yoga. I will just keep doing this. I am happy with my food choices, my exercise routines, and I don't get hangry at all, so this is a lifestyle change for me. I did not pile on the extra pounds in a short time, so no surprise that it takes a long time to get rid of them. I hope to be well into maintaining this time next year.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    suzc11 wrote: »
    Wow. You certainly know where you're going midwesterner85! Hope the race prep goes well and you reach your short term goal. I'm 15 lbs away from my GW and have been running the macros again today after a month long plateau. I tried a new macro calculator and upped protein (a lot) and dropped some fat% for three weeks, but it was very, very hard to do with my available calories and I've gained 2 lbs. Never met the protein target and went over my deficit nearly everyday. Ho hum. Live and learn! Back to the old macro calculator and trying to stick to the new macros. I get out and walk an hour nearly everyday, but work is sedentary. Can't excercise lots as it triggers inflammation, so the calories are limited. Let's hope it works!

Try lean protein sources such as chicken breast to increase protein:fat ratio.

At this point, I'm in ketosis (blood ketones at 2.5 mmol/l) with a huge calorie surplus of mostly extra fat. Now I need to keep that up for several more days and then figure out how to ramp down fat intake while remaining in ketosis and using my stored fat instead of consumed fat.
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Just trying to be patient and staying active, not much else I can do other than eating low carb.
  • kimmydear
    kimmydear Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    This is where I am as well, but I don't have helpful tips because my weight loss stalled last July. Still being 15 lbs from my goal (which is not even on the low end of a healthy weight range for me), I don't think it should be this tough, but it is! I am really back to measuring everything and thinking about lowering the amount of extra fats I take in.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    My cuts are always "vanity pounds" at this point, as I never let my bodyfat get above 16-17% anymore. Generally, two weeks of PSMF, paired with an EC stack has me set to spend two weeks at maintenance then start bulking again for a few months.

I don't recommend this though unless A: you are following a properly structured protocol, B: lift weights with high intensity to avoid LBM loss, and C: are not prone to binge eating in response to heavy caloric restriction.
  • codename_steve
    codename_steve Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I'm on the last 5-8 pounds. I'm in a similar boat to @midwesterner85, trying to lower body fat to aid in running performance. I'm currently at 24% (female) and trying to get down to 20%. But I have a few more races planned this year (total of 5 between May and September). My "strategy" right now is LCHF, IF 18:6, and lift heavy along with my running. The balance between training and losing is a tricky one!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    @codename_steve You have more races planned than me, but my first is sooner than your first. I have less than 6 weeks and really am fretting about being ready. I've decided that my first priority is nutrition and running is a 2nd priority.

Some things I've noticed from Garmin Insights compared to other males in my age group: My activities for running are further than 86%, but I only get a median level of steps at 52%. I.e. I have fewer non-workout steps and my runs only serve to compensate for having an otherwise sedentary lifestyle. The conclusion is that I need to extend run distances in order to reach the higher end of both. Also, despite running further distances, my average pace is slow - only higher than 21% of my age/gender. I'm thinking I should build on my strong suit (distance) to get to an acceptable level before getting concerned with pace. But since I only have less than 6 weeks and I have no doubt as to whether I will finish the race before the cut-off, but I'm concerned with achieving the best time; I have conflicting long-term and short-term goals. I am generally an anxious person, so the psychological piece of having conflicting goals, being unsure what exactly to do, and trying to switch back and forth as I notice failure in one area is tough. By focusing on nutrition, I'm hoping to alleviate a part of the anxiety that comes from conflicting exercise plans.

ETA: Also from Garmin Insights, apparently I am at 29% for sleep. It isn't terribly low, but there may be a good suggestion to increase sleep time (I wish!).
  • retirehappy
    Options
    swezeytba wrote: »
    Weirdly enough I stopped obsessing over my macros the last week or so because I've been busy and I'm getting within 5 lbs. or so of where I want to be and I wanted to see if it would be possible for me to follow the diet more loosely and not gain weight.

Lo and behold I'm actually eating more and losing again? So go figure.....

My theory is sometimes our bodies just want us to change something, just about anything. Glad it worked. I have done intentional high calorie days before after a stall and it does seem to work a lot of the time. Happy losing :)
  • RAC56
    RAC56 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I couldn't get rid of my final weight (flab, ugh) until I kept my net carbs around 20. Then it came right off.
  • retirehappy
    Options
    RAC56 wrote: »
    I couldn't get rid of my final weight (flab, ugh) until I kept my net carbs around 20. Then it came right off.

I have been considering going back to Atkins induction phase, as that maxes out at 20 net gram. I am doing mostly 40-65 net grams currently according to my diary. Only an occasional day over 65 net g.
  • suzc11
    Options
    I always aim for 20, never above 25. Still holding fast after 5 weeks, up a pound, down a pound. Grrrrr.
  • retirehappy
    Options
    This is getting lost needs this bump up.

I am very very slowly going downwards. I am still not back to 20 net carbs, but have lost a few lbs. since my original posting in here. I am 10 lbs. from my goal now. I just got a breathalyzer for testing my breath acetone, a sign you are in nutritional ketosis, so hopefully this will motivate me to do better with lowering the carbs.

How is everyone else coming along?
  • suzc11
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Well done for still going slowly downwards @retirehappy. Only ten to go is great! I'm barely losing weight at all now, but at least the 2 lbs off & 2 lbs on I moaned about 7 weeks ago back in Feb now seems to be gone for good. But I must thank you for bumping the thread because it made me check my 'reports' for measurements for that date and since then I've lost another inch off the waist and nearly two off the hips. Now if I could just get these stubborn legs to respond! At least something's going somewhere.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Having a tough time of it these days. Hubby and both parents have medical issues and the stresses are 'assisting' my overeating of whatever, including lower carb foods. I need to limit my calories to lose right now.