Damn Scales

TravellerRay
TravellerRay Posts: 94 Member
One of those days when the scales are not only lying, they are kicking me in the teeth. Have had a really good week of logging food and working out daily. I have scales that do the body fat etc. It says my body fat is down a bit, muscle percentage is up plenty but weight is 2 pounds up. I thought I would be down around 3 pounds.

So even though everything else is great, inches going down, I am annoyed at myself at getting down over the stupid scales.

I need a boxing class.

Ray

Replies

• tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    It is hard. No change for me on week 2.
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,406 Member
    I saw a thread the other day where a girl said her scales said she was up a couple of pounds and she checked everything she was doing for a week, her next weigh-in she realised the batteries were dying, after replacing the batteries, her weight was back to normal. Could this be the case?

If not, maybe it is just one of those days. It'll end before you know it.
  • TravellerRay
    Thanks it's worth trying.
  • Lois_1989
    No problem! I hope your day gets better.
  • Lois_1989
    RalfLott wrote: »
    You could also try healing your scale with a blow torch and a skydive off a tall building without a
    chute. B)
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10415166/scale-why-should-i-dump-thee-let-me-count-the-ways

But he has a fancy expensive one! I do love that post though.
  • treehugnmama
    treehugnmama Posts: 816 Member
    if your inches are going down and muscle percent up I call that a win!! my scale does that when batteries are dying. mine shoeing me up 3lbs grrr I try not to let that get to me as I know I struggle with water retention but it still does.

think of those non scale voctories to get you through
  • TravellerRay
    Lol, not my day. Put in the new batteries and the weight went up. Will reset at the new level.

At least I was so fired up, I set a new PB on Bench Press. :)
  • llbreuer2006
    llbreuer2006 Posts: 29 Member
    One of those days when the scales are not only lying, they are kicking me in the teeth. Have had a really good week of logging food and working out daily. I have scales that do the body fat etc. It says my body fat is down a bit, muscle percentage is up plenty but weight is 2 pounds up. I thought I would be down around 3 pounds.

So even though everything else is great, inches going down, I am annoyed at myself at getting down over the stupid scales.

I need a boxing class.

Ray

Remember that muscle weighs more than fat and is more compact. Your measurements are a much better gauge of your success than the number on the scale. I know it's easier said than done because I also struggle with the number on the scale, but don't let it get you down. Your hard work is showing in your measurements and body fat percentage. WTG! Gaining muscle also helps you burn more calories, even at rest!
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Lol, not my day. Put in the new batteries and the weight went up. Will reset at the new level.

One thing to be aware of - if you have just started a new exercise routine or ramped-up your old one, your muscles will be holding onto extra water to aid in the recovery/healing process. Just stay the course, the water weight will drop and you will see the numbers you want to see on the scale.
  • Lois_1989

Oh no! :#
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    ccrdragon wrote: »

One thing to be aware of - if you have just started a new exercise routine or ramped-up your old one, your muscles will be holding onto extra water to aid in the recovery/healing process. Just stay the course, the water weight will drop and you will see the numbers you want to see on the scale.

^^^^ This, do this.
    I am in pants I used to wear when I was 10 lbs. lighter, so the scale is a liar. Take pictures of your progress, you can post'em or not, but you will want to look back on all this. Track your measurements, both body ones, and your exercise markers.

So eat right and carry on. Things will change, you don't want to have to start over again because of lying scales.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Daily weight means nothing.
    Try a weight averaging app like happy scale or libra weight

It is much more helpful with following your true weight. It does still go up and down but in small amounts.

You get info like this that helps to see the big picture.
    x9t3n8hk7n40.png

It takes your daily weigh ins and shows you your moving average, which is your real weight.
    s5rw1uw6u03m.png

And summarizes with weekly, monthly, yearly reports
    sr3wydqoch4b.png
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Just out of habit, I way in at the gym every morning Monday through Friday even though I have been in maintenance for several months now. Having a variance of 3+ lbs from one day to the next is very normal. If I look at the last six months, my range has been from 182 to 192 with the 192 being right after a cruise where I decided to have some popcorn and ice cream the last 2 days. If I take the two weeks after the cruise out, the range was 182-188.

When people sweat over 1-2 lbs, it boggles my mind given variance in water weight alone. At 200 lbs, 2 lbs is only 1% of body weight. Any variation less than 1.5% of body weight is no variation in my mind. So if you are 200 lbs, any weight +\-3 lbs =no change in my opinion.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    I was up 4 lbs this morning...that scale is just a giant witch with a capital B.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    <Whoosh>
  • Liadin123
    Liadin123 Posts: 67 Member
    I must admit, I am a slave to my scale - emotion wins out over logic alllll the time and when I gain I want to cry and scream... but I think the best idea really... is that blow torch idea. The scale is an unrepentant liar and evil thing from the bowels of weight loss hell. *ahem.... in my opinion anyway!*