Replies

• dbw1976
    dbw1976 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Checking in.
    LWW = 210.6
    CWW = 209.1
    Loss= 1.5

Welcome to the new guys. I will write a intro about myself in the next couple days.

• tdonlin
    tdonlin Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Tons of new guys on here. This is fantastic. Steve, glad to see you back, but sorry it's under the circumstances you had this week. You were one of the originals on here. Let's see if we can both be better. Get your updates in by Friday.

Wow, everyone had a great week. Toner, 20 pounds this month!!! Awesomely done!!

I stood on the scale this morning and was in disbelief. I seriously thought I had a loss or at the worse, no change. I gained 4.3 pounds. I don't know what to think. I am really hoping it's just water weight. I didn't do anything different this week than the last few other than not drinking as much water. It's been cold and raining so much that I just didn't feel like drinking anything. I got most of my steps in on my fitbit and used my treadmill most evenings. I don't know, maybe I'll do another weigh in in a couple of days to see if there is any change. :'(

LW 334.4
    CW 338.7
    Gain 4.3

8ilyyqimdv2q.jpg
  • tonerdaily313
    tonerdaily313 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hey Tim, be encouraged that being healthy is a journey. Here are are a couple tips that I have received from my coach when I encountered a week similar to yours. If you have been doing this same thing eating wise for several weeks, mix it up. The body gets used to certain foods and resetting it every month of so is a good idea

My coach suggests 1 oz. of water for every 2 lbs you weigh. I understand the weather being a factor but proper water consumption is a key part to healthy living. Also, up your protein to 150-200 grams per day. Higher protein helps with weight loss.

I hope one of these might help Kickstart the scale in a southerly direction but know that we are all pulling for you and with you and will need your encouragement and counsel when we hit a wall on a week we thought was going to be better. Drive on my friend!
  • tdonlin
    Options
    Thanks Matt!! I definitely need to try and change things up a little this week. Had a pretty bad weekend as far as eating goes. We had a party at our house this weekend for my daughter's baby reveal.
    Great news is I'm going to have a granddaughter! Now to try and fix the damage I did eating.
  • bruk_mike
    bruk_mike Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    LW-337
    CW-333
  • StevLL
    StevLL Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Congrats Tim! Won't be long before you can long grandpa calories trying to keep up with ;) her,
  • dbw1976
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Congratulations on the granddaughter Tim!

I'm Dave and I joined MFP in the fall of 2011. I had been gaining a 1 or 2 every year for 20-30 years and my doctor was making comments about my cholesterol and blood sugar and said it would help if l lost some weight. Tracking my calories I dropped about 30 pounds and got down to 186# by late spring in 2012, just 6 pounds away from my goal weight. However, I went from being a full-time classroom History teacher to being a half-time teacher and half-time union president. When I am half-time union president, I work from home and have been way too much into snacking and not logging calories. So . . . I've gained back about 25 pounds. I'm trying to get serious again about tracking calories again. I find that just being aware helps me not overeat. I really am pretty good at keeping up with exercise. And honestly, some of the weight I've gained is muscle, but definitely not all (most) of it.

For exercise, I like to bicycle and I go to the YMCA five mornings a week. Three mornings in the "Metabolic Activity" class - lots of weight lifting with 10-20# dumbells mixed with cardio for an hour, and the other two days I try to do 20-40 minutes on an elliptical trainer. Since mid-September 2016 I have been averaging 50 miles a week on my bike, except for the last two weeks due to lousy weather. But like priestp1 said, you can't out-train a bad diet. So that is the area I need to work on.

I have enjoyed being in this group, it helps to keep me honest. I try to weigh in on Fridays and log in, even for the bad weeks. There are definitely times when I have felt like - I will just skip reporting to the group this week, telling myself that I will have a loss by the next week. I usually manage to resist this... Good luck everyone with their goals.
  • dbw1976
    Options
    Like Tim, I also live in Washington state, about an hour north of Seattle, which if I recall correctly, is why he let me join because at that time the group was maxing out on size. Originally I'm from Indiana, but went to college in California and then joined the Navy, which sent me to NAS Whidbey Island in Oak Harbor, Washington, I married a local girl, and I have been here ever since.
  • dbw1976
    Options
    Checking in.
    CWW = 208.3
    LWW = 209.1
    Loss = 0.8
  • marsh1000
    marsh1000 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Checking in..
    cww- 195
    Lww- 200
    Loss 5 pounds
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options
    SW - 238
    LW - 214.6
    CW - 216.4

up 1.8 lbs this week

Have been eating super-low carbs the last 2 months and started back this week adding in small amounts of carbs, so water weight comes with it.
  • StevLL
    Options
    SW - 341
    LW - 333
    CW - 328
    Down 5lbs :D

Have a good week gents,
    Eat less, move more, Git-R-done! B)
  • tdonlin
    Options
    Howdy Men,

Fantastic job this week. The top 3 guys lost a total of 14 pounds this week. That is simply awesome. Well done!

I am going to put myself down as no change this week. At least I didn't gain!

Dragon, with the change in carbs I'm not surprised at a slight bump this week. Bet you lose that next week.

Here is this week's chart. Hope you all have a great weekend and upcoming week!

h1s66az0pmp1.jpg
  • daleweideman
    daleweideman Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, checking in, missed last week.

cww: 231
    lww: 231
    SW: 234 (this year.....)
    GW: 199

Working out really good - passed 10 weeks of 6+ workouts per week. Not so good on the eating - hence pretty flat on the weight (though I am building some muscle). Time to up the commitment and cut! Anyone into regular (daily or so) mutual accountability for clean eating, hit me with a message.

• bruk_mike
    bruk_mike Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Lww-333
    Cw-330
    I was amazed to lose anything, did a little bit of stress eating and not much cardio this week.
  • tdonlin
    Options
    bruk_mike wrote: »
    Lww-333
    Cw-330
    I was amazed to lose anything, did a little bit of stress eating and not much cardio this week.

That's awesome!!! Not the stress or the lack of cardio but your awesome 3 lb loss!! Way to go!
  • tdonlin
    Options
    Howdy Gents!!

I hope you are all having a good week.

Some info, I wear a CPAP when sleeping. I had an appointment yesterday with my sleep doctor and was really surprised by some stats. I have a 100% compliance in using the mask when I sleep. I don't take naps or doze off when watching tv or anything. I know I don't sleep much during the week and try to make up for it on weekends by sleeping in a couple of hours extra. Despite that I still only average 5 hours 4 minutes of sleep a night. So, realistically I am averaging about 4.5 hours during the week. I really thought I was averaging closer to 6.5 hours per night.

Doc said I suffer sleep deprivation and this affects my weight gain/loss more than I realized. Unfortunately, when I'm tired or just dragging, I reach for the coffee. He explained the caffeine stays in the body 12 hours. During sleep deprivation, your metabolism slows down because your body thinks you are in danger and is trying to maintain its resources. He said the body also starts producing all sorts of steroids and hormones to combat the loss of sleep which drastically affects weight gain and loss.

So, just thought I'd share this with you all. Looks like I have some additional things to work on besides nutrition, exercise and drinking more water. Knowledge is power though.
  • AlecD9
    AlecD9 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi all, just joined.. back on MFP again!! I am 30 and From the UK. here are my figures:

SW - 236
    CW - 230
    GW - 176
  • tdonlin
    Options
    Howdy Alec,
    The Men on a Mission was started way back by a guy whose username I think was Apollo. I took it over in 2011. Glad to have you. I try to post the chart up on Fridays.

Tim
  • StevLL
    Options
    I feel you, Tim. That's what they told me in the hospital, that I was not getting enough sleep and I was in adrenal fatigue from getting between 4 and 5 hours of sleep a night (unfortunately not straight through either) and drinking 2 to 3 pots of coffee a day. I am down to one cup a day and sometimes one in the afternoon. They want me to get a CPAP again, but I did not have any luck the first time out. It's a catch 22, they said it will probably resolve itself with weight loss, but it's not easy when you're constantly tired. Changing up my food sources (more raw and organic) and reducing the animal protein and fat intake seems to be working for the moment. If I knew aging was going to be this tough I would have taken better care of myself. :D Just have your wife tie you to the bed so you can't get up and you sleep longer. Oops, that's actually for the other thread. ;)