JIM'S EXCELLENT OMAD ADVENTURE....

Replies

• blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    That's great! Most will lose a lot the first week. The next week will probably be more like 3-lbs.
  • flanaganjim1
    flanaganjim1 Posts: 23 Member
    One of the strangest things about being a compulsive eater is that over and over again I would order binge/trigger foods with my regular groceries and tell myself, for example, I'll eat a half cup a day of the Haagen-Dasz and it will last the week. Of course there was no way I could stop myself once I took my first bite. Yet I would do this over and over again like the movie Groundhog Day. It's a terrible feeling to be driven to eat, and eat, and eat with absolutely no way to control it. And what is even stranger is that if I was eating a bag of cookies, for example, and thought I'd finished it, then saw I had plenty left....I would feel DISAPPOINTED that I had to eat more, as if some entity was standing over me with a bullwhip, forcing me to eat. Insanity is the only word for it. Thank God for OMAD!!! :)
  • blambo61
    I think what you described is somewhat normal to a degree. I don't think anyone could stop at a half a cup of Haagen-Dasz! I could inhale that in one bite without thinking. Sugar does seem to be able to control us a bit though. Just don't buy the refined stuff so there is not temptation to go overboard!
  • KetoKaHee
    KetoKaHee Posts: 270 Member
    edited March 2017
    One of the strangest things about being a compulsive eater is that over and over again I would order binge/trigger foods with my regular groceries and tell myself, for example, I'll eat a half cup a day of the Haagen-Dasz and it will last the week. Of course there was no way I could stop myself once I took my first bite. Yet I would do this over and over again like the movie Groundhog Day. It's a terrible feeling to be driven to eat, and eat, and eat with absolutely no way to control it. And what is even stranger is that if I was eating a bag of cookies, for example, and thought I'd finished it, then saw I had plenty left....I would feel DISAPPOINTED that I had to eat more, as if some entity was standing over me with a bullwhip, forcing me to eat. Insanity is the only word for it. Thank God for OMAD!!! :)

I know exactly how it feels to lose control when it comes to trigger foods. I would have good intentions too, but once I started there was no stopping me. I have tried going to Overeaters Anonymous meetings in the past but I never stuck with it. OMAD has been a true lifesaver and very grateful that we all have discovered it and doing so well!
  • leveejohn
    leveejohn Posts: 346 Member
    KetoKaHee wrote: »

I know exactly how it feels to lose control when it comes to trigger foods. I would have good intentions too, but once I started there was no stopping me. I have tried going to Overeaters Anonymous meetings in the past but I never stuck with it. OMAD has been a true lifesaver and very grateful that we all have discovered it and doing so well!
    blambo61 wrote: »
    I think what you described is somewhat normal to a degree. I don't think anyone could stop at a half a cup of Haagen-Dasz! I could inhale that in one bite without thinking. Sugar does seem to be able to control us a bit though. Just don't buy the refined stuff so there is not temptation to go overboard!

@flanaganjim1 , @KetoKaHee , @blambo61 Thank you all for sharing this! Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who goes on these insane, frantic, can't stop shoveling it in periods. Totally out of control, and not understanding why. Glad I have some kinfolk here!

Yes, OMAD is a discipline to be sure, but one that results in simplicity and freedom.
  • MandyxSchmitz
    MandyxSchmitz Posts: 29 Member
    leveejohn wrote: »

blambo61 wrote: »

@flanaganjim1 , @KetoKaHee , @blambo61 Thank you all for sharing this! Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who goes on these insane, frantic, can't stop shoveling it in periods. Totally out of control, and not understanding why. Glad I have some kinfolk here!

Yes, OMAD is a discipline to be sure, but one that results in simplicity and freedom.

None of you are alone in this, I do the same thing! My husband is big too but even he can't binge like I can :neutral:
  • flanaganjim1
    Just found out that Joe is going to do a video on what got him started doing something "crazy" and "unhealthy" like the OMAD lifestyle. I'm one of those guys who HAS to know about the origins of things so I'm really looking forward to it.

@ KeetoKaHee and Blambo61: I lost all my excess weight back in the 80's at Overeaters Anonymous meetings. But this was a splinter group in Phoenix called OA- H.O.W. (Honesty Openness Willingness) which was very strict and had a food plan so you always knew when you had a clean abstinence. We all got thin. Then the powers that be at OA decided that HOW was too "restrictive" and shut it down. The guidelines went away and we all got "freedom of choice" about food. And most of us got fat again. :'(
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    Yay for another video Joe!!! :)
  • KetoKaHee
    edited March 2017
    Looking forward to another video! I'm interested how he got started as well.

@flanaganjim1 It is always interesting to learn about the different paths people take to try and better themselves. OA works for a lot of people but back when I tried going to meetings I still felt out of control. Today with OMAD I have gained back the control and I'm really proud of myself. I'm also proud of everyone in this group for being a support network which helps us stay on track!
  • flanaganjim1
    Looking forward to another video! I'm interested how he got started as well.

@flanaganjim1 It is always interesting to learn about the different paths people take to try and better themselves. OA works for a lot of people but back when I tried going to meetings I still felt out of control. Today with OMAD I have gained back the control and I'm really proud of myself. I'm also proud of everyone in this group for being a support network which helps us stay on track!

One of the things I like most about OMAD is that you only have to interact with food once a day. For someone like myself with serious control issues this is like the lifting of a great weight and has already increased my sense of well-being and mood as I go about my daily activities. :)
  • kabrigail
    kabrigail Posts: 149 Member
    edited March 2017
    @flanaganjim1

I love this because I was so obsessed with food before. I only thought about what my next meal was. Or even two meals ahead or even a day ahead. Now, even if I've already eaten and then there is a party with food, I don't want any. That never would have happened before! I would have eaten AGAIN! I love OMAD!!
  • flanaganjim1
    Today's my 8th OMAD day and I finally figured out how to structure my meal. I've been trying to emulate Joe's one plate/one hour method but frankly, because I'm a compulsive person :# (Big News!) it was making me nuts trying to get the foods requiring different types of prep and cooking methods ready to eat at the same time. This morning I thought I'd try something different....prepare, cook, and eat the different types of foods one at a time. And I was still finished by the allotted hour, all without rushing and getting agitated o:) . Since I figure out my calories when I plan my menu, there's no danger of unknowingly eating more calories than I want.
  • KetoKaHee
    @flanaganjim1 glad you found a structure that works for you!! What type of foods do you love to eat?? I'm big on Salmon, avocados, nuts and steak!
  • leveejohn
    leveejohn Posts: 346 Member
    You are crushing this Jim, show us how it's done!!!

I think being calm and relaxed in our approach to this is a major indicator that this is the correct lifestyle.

Wellness looks calm, centered, and stable. Not stressful. So should this process be.
  • blambo61
    If it works, do it!
  • flanaganjim1
    @flanaganjim1 glad you found a structure that works for you!! What type of foods do you love to eat?? I'm big on Salmon, avocados, nuts and steak!

I like anything that's high in calories, especially fats, proteins, and starches mixed together! My favorite staples are strictly working class: chicken thighs and rice, franks, beans w/sauerkraut, macaroni salad w/canned salmon, fried eggs and potatoes, potato salad wrapped in thin ham slices. I have to go easy on my grocery budget because since I stopped painting my only income is Social Security. Like many hard-core compulsive overeaters I never bothered to think about my future and so I've always related to Aesop's fable of the ant and the grasshopper (of which, of course, I am the latter)! B)

• KetoKaHee
    Well eating OMAD has helped with my grocery budget. I used to spend so much on food eating 6 small meals a day and talk about the dishes and prep time. OMAD is so easy I love it. I would love to see some of your artwork. And I hope you start painting again, I love all things "creative" and I know what an important outlet it can be!
  • blambo61
    I snack much less on OMAD and do save a lot of money.
  • flanaganjim1
    Well eating OMAD has helped with my grocery budget. I used to spend so much on food eating 6 small meals a day and talk about the dishes and prep time. OMAD is so easy I love it. I would love to see some of your artwork. And I hope you start painting again, I love all things "creative" and I know what an important outlet it can be!

@ KetoKaHee: I agree, Keto, multiple meals throughout the day is a time (and budget) consuming bummer :( . If you'd like to see my work, go to www.paintingsilove.com/artist/jimflanagan.
  • KetoKaHee
    @flanaganjim1 WOW!! I'm truly impressed with your art. I love "Le Carnaval" and "Nathan's at Coney Island." You are a true talent! Pick up that paint brush Mr.!! Don't let your talent go to waste. Thank you so much for sharing!!