M(ar)uch Lifting is good for you!

Options

Replies

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    jowaring wrote: »
    Ohp 5x5@50lbs.finally up from 47.

oooh. i'm so up my own caboose this monday i missed this, along with the other victories. @Katiebear_81 can't help you specifically with the squishy-belly, but if it makes you feel better i tried to drink my whole day's supply of water after dinner, and when i flopped down in bed an hour later i thought for a second there was a hot-water bottle in there with me. "where did that sloshing noise come from? oh; me." :tongue:

• jowaring
    jowaring Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    jowaring wrote: »
    Today's workout after warm up.
    Ohp 5x5@50lbs.finally up from 47.

Congrats on the OHP PR! That's so awesome!

Thanks for all the great advice on protein sources guys! I love cheese and pumpkin seeds. I should definitely include more of them in my diet.

Starting my first workout of week 4!
    Squats 5x5 100 (WU: 2x5 45, 65, 85) I'm still trying to prevent front leaning.
    OHP 5x5 45. Tried 50lbs and could only do 1x3 or 1x4. Sticking with this weight for now.
    DL 1x5 135 (WU: 1x5 65, 90, 115). Going to stick with this weight for a week or 2.

Seems like I should repeat these exact weights on Friday and see if they get better. Guess my noobish gains are slowly coming to an end. I followed up with a 4mi run.

Thank you!your numbers are really good for just 4 weeks!I've been doing sl for 8 months now.i find ohp hard to increase weight on.
  • CricketClover
    CricketClover Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Haven't updated in a few days. I will just start over instead of trying to go back. Yesterday I took a rest day, I normally would go to the park and walk but it was cold (for GA) and rainy, instead I put on some music when I got home and danced around the house while I cleaned (and no, I didn't log it as exercise ;) )
  • amyinthetardis1231
    amyinthetardis1231 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    @chichidachimp Do you do back or front squats? High or low bar? If it's back, esp low bar, you should have some forward lean to keep the bar over your midfoot as you go down. The Eat, Train, Progress group has a video form check thread, like the one on this group but more extensive if you want feedback from some experienced lifters.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,117 Member
    Options
    Stronglift Workout A
    Squats-1X5X 55/65/75/85, 5X5X 90
    BP-1X5X 45/55/65, 5X5X 75
    BR-1X5X 75

Kettlebell Swing
    Goblet squats-3X5X 30
    Russian kettle bell swing-19X 10 X 30

40lbs loss by May 27 Challenge
    Nicer weather today! Just getting ready to go on the first of my 2 mile walks today! 2-2 mile walks!

I lost another 0.4 lbs yesterday! The keto diet is fantastic! Today I am having cheese curds and deep-fried mini pork shanks dipped in ranch dressing! This is not a diet for me it is the way I love to eat! Eat fat burn fat and cholesterol drops! Unbelievable!
  • chichidachimp
    chichidachimp Posts: 109 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    @amyinthetardis1231 I generally do low bar back squats. Maybe front leaning is the wrong term. My friend was watching my squats yesterday and said I don't go up in one full motion. I think this is called the good morning squat. Thanks for the idea! I'll definitely check out that group!

@jowaring Thank you! I'm learning every day. Yesterday, I was working out with some friends who were squatting around 300lbs so it's nice to have a little perspective.

SL Day off. Definitely feeling it in the hamstrings and shoulders. Doing a run commute to work this week. Ran 1.6mi and will run another short run in the evening.
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I went to the gym this morning. I don't know what's kicking my *kitten* this week. Yesterday, I was super tired after a very, very busy weekend. So I stayed home and laid in bed all evening (super productive!). Had a huuuuge lunch, so I kind of skipped dinner, or rather replaced it with a piece of cheesecake (so irresponsible). This morning, I got up early, did my banana & double espresso on the way to the gym, but all my lifts were... lacking.

Squat 5x5 @65 lbs - felt better, still getting more forward bend then I think I like, but I know that I was driving through my heels better, which is good.
    Bench 5x5 @70 lbs - was an increase on last week, but this increase felt SO FREAKING HEAVY. It was really hard to finish the set.
    Barbell Rows 5x5 @75 - tried to concentrate on using my back vs. jerking with my arms/body. Was really hard to get through this set too.

I also did chin ups & pull ups, but I just kept running out of steam. Even my 6 minute run was hard to get through.

Now I'm at work, and my body is sore and tired, and I just want to soak in the tub and go to bed. Bah. I'm having a really hard time nailing down where the fatigue is coming from... Hope it passes soon!
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    Both squat and ohp were better today. Definitely stay at the same weight for one more round each and then re-evaluate. I think I'll need to add reps to my ohp before I can add more weight, unless I pick up some fractional plates soon.

Did some hip thrusters too. Tried to activate my glutes, but my abs are SORE. Normal, or was I doing them wrong?

You definitely have to engage the heck out of your abs during hip thrusts, so it makes sense they were sore. If your hamstrings or low back were sore but your butt wasn't I'd say you were probably doing them incorrectly, but for now it sounds like your abs need to catch up to your butt.
  • Katiebear_81
    Options
    Fittreelol wrote: »
    Both squat and ohp were better today. Definitely stay at the same weight for one more round each and then re-evaluate. I think I'll need to add reps to my ohp before I can add more weight, unless I pick up some fractional plates soon.

Did some hip thrusters too. Tried to activate my glutes, but my abs are SORE. Normal, or was I doing them wrong?

You definitely have to engage the heck out of your abs during hip thrusts, so it makes sense they were sore. If your hamstrings or low back were sore but your butt wasn't I'd say you were probably doing them incorrectly, but for now it sounds like your abs need to catch up to your butt.

Fact.

Thanks! :)
  • CricketClover
    CricketClover Posts: 388 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Went to the office gym at lunch, not my favorite gym. Mostly because jerks can't put stuff away! I usually have the free weight room to myself at least at the time I go. I did workout B today, I have to get fancy to do DL here, use some mats and whatnot to get the bar up to heights. Things also feel heavier at this gym than at the power lifting gym I just joined. My lower back hurts after today's workout, I wonder if I am pushing up with too much back in it on my squats??

Edit to add: Over the weekend I booked a trip to FL for late April and another to Mexico late August, so I am extra motivated to keep my eating in check and my workouts consistent!
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,763 Member
    Options
    Yay @jowaring on OHP advance, that IS tough! says I, barely inching past 30 lb.
    Great loss @fanncy0626 !!
    @canadianlbs I should do the same thing with my rows.

Yesterday:
    Walked 2 miles to the gym

OHP 2 x 7 @ 30 lb, 3 x 5 @ 30 lb
    DL 2 x 5 @ 70 lb, 2 x 5 @ 100 lb I think I'd better stay at 100 lb for a while. Legs were shaking...but again, no back or hip pain!
    Squats - back squat 1 x 10 @ 45 lb, 1 x 10 @ 55 lb then started feeling shaky (nerves AGAIN about replacing the bar on the hooks!) went to goblet squats 1 x 7 @ 47.5 lb, 4 x 5 @ 50 lb

Walked 3 miles afterwards

No leg soreness today!
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Haven't been checking in, but I'm still at it. 4 workouts done.
    Squats - 5x5 at 60 lbs
    OHP - 5x5 at 47.5
    DL - 1x5 at 105
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,763 Member
    Options
    Day off from SL

Ran 4.75 miles and walked 2. In the first 2 miles of the run, I was going at the rate of a snail on Nembutal because of yesterday's squats and deadlifts, but things improved a bit after that. But there were no twinges suggesting injuries. I think the deadlifts are a big help, strengthening to prevent hamstring/hip issues.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Squat Day

squats 2x10 @ 45, 1x10 @ 95, 1x8 @ 135 and 2x8 @ 155
    overload 235 for 20 count
    good morning 3x10 @ 95
    pause squat 2x5 @ 95
    leg extensions 2x12 @ 55
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    @amyinthetardis1231 I generally do low bar back squats. Maybe front leaning is the wrong term. My friend was watching my squats yesterday and said I don't go up in one full motion. I think this is called the good morning squat.

sounds like what people also call hips 'shooting up'? where your legs are stronger than your back so the bar gets kind of left behind. then as your back flattens out there's nowhere for the bar to go but forwards, really.

sometimes what helps me with that is to imagine i'm sitting on teh floor and trying to shove a refrigerator back against a wall. my feet are braced and sure my legs are doing most of the work. but really i'm using my back too, otherwise i'd just jackknife at the hips and most of that power would be wasted. the times i remember to do it it's almost more like you're driving with your abs than your back, actually.

no lifting for me. i got a totally flat rear tire a few blocks from home yesterday, and after-work errands today, tomorrow and maybe thursday.
  • jowaring
    jowaring Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Today's workout after warm up.
    Hubby's at work so did light squats.
    5x12@50lbs
    Bench 55454 @67lbs .second time I've failed at this weight.
    Rows 5x5@72lbs
    bulgarian split squats.30 each leg.back to heavy squats tomorrow!
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,117 Member
    Options
    Stronglift Rest Day

Kettlebell Swing
    Goblet squat-6X5X 35
    Russian kettle bell swing-14X 10 X 35
    I have increased the weight of the Kettlebell from 30 pounds to 35 pounds.

40lbs loss by May 27th Challenge
    Finally a beautiful day today! Getting ready for my first of two-2 mile walks for today. I might go for three!

I was excited to see a 0.4 lb loss today! I'm still a fat burning machine! Eating this way for me really drops the weight quickly and steadily.
  • Katiebear_81
    Options
    @amyinthetardis1231 I generally do low bar back squats. Maybe front leaning is the wrong term. My friend was watching my squats yesterday and said I don't go up in one full motion. I think this is called the good morning squat.

sounds like what people also call hips 'shooting up'? where your legs are stronger than your back so the bar gets kind of left behind. then as your back flattens out there's nowhere for the bar to go but forwards, really.

sometimes what helps me with that is to imagine i'm sitting on teh floor and trying to shove a refrigerator back against a wall. my feet are braced and sure my legs are doing most of the work. but really i'm using my back too, otherwise i'd just jackknife at the hips and most of that power would be wasted. the times i remember to do it it's almost more like you're driving with your abs than your back, actually.

no lifting for me. i got a totally flat rear tire a few blocks from home yesterday, and after-work errands today, tomorrow and maybe thursday.

This is why I've been "stuck" at 65 lbs in my squat for a week or so now. Trying to get all the parts caught up. Ha ha. Yesterday was better... tomorrow will hopefully be good so I can add more. We'll see.

No SL for me. Boyfriend and I are joining some friends for rock climbing/bouldering this evening. We've never been. I'm looking forward to an activity with people that is physical. :)
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Did the accessories from yesterday and a couple others. Had a lot of time after work since sister didn't get done with her internship until 7 and I was done at work at 3:30.

single leg leg press 3x10 @ 20
    hack squat calf raise 1x15 and 1x20 @ 90
    single leg curl 2x10 @ 47 (2)
    cable kickback 3x12 @ 20
    treadmill for an hour, 55 minutes at 3.2 speed and 3 incline
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    i'd love to pretend my s.i. is all better, but it wouldn't be honest. been a bit disappointed with it, and with my tuesday massage session with a new student who was adorable and whip-smart but so skinny and droopy i wondered how she could hoist a gallon of milk. but just on the chance i thunk ahead and sherpa'd workout stuff with me this morning as well.

and it worked out. i went and squatted at the non-fancy rec centre where the patronizing attendant/trainer hangs out. luckily i forgot about that and luckily also the place was nice and quiet. i stayed at 65 pounds, because by that point i'd discovered something that worked and i was afraid that another five pounds would make me lose it again. did three very careful sets of 5, front and back, and came home.

poor mr t. just as he gives up trying to get me to keep my head up and accepts that dropping it is more comfortable for me, i arrive at exactly the conclusion he's been trying to explain by some sideways path of my own. i'm not even sure what's doing it. but i think having a stronger back recently has made it suddenly meaningful to pull my whole upper back down, and actively keep it that way throughout the rep. and when you do that, turns out, your head naturally wants to be a little more back-and-up too. so result: a back that feels a lot more straight from neck to bum, and that i can actually feel in the sensory sense too. so if anything deviates i feel that as well. idk why this seems to kill the s.i. crinkle better than anythign else that i've tried, but it does.

i think the magic bullet might be externally rotating my arms when i take hold of the bar. i can place my thumbs at the edge of the knurl now, which is way tighter than i've ever been able to get them before. then i rotate my arm bones so my elbows are pointing down instead of just sideways. and then i step in and under once i've got all that done. i try to hold that tightness in my teres muscles and so on the whole time.

could be another false dawn, but i guess i'll take it for now and just see how the mid-term works out.