Vegan OMAD

Options

Replies

• ShannonOMAD
    ShannonOMAD Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    wsandy8512 wrote: »
    Shannon, you are doing fantastic, despite the gain! I'm new here and I am not vegan, but I I love a lot of vegan foods, I love a lot of Forks Over Knives meals, I've read The China Study, Eat to Live--I'm all for your kind of eating, I just prefer to have meat as well. However, meat is not a "must have" for me so I think I will be trying some of the things you post. The buffalo cauliflower looks A-Freaking-Mazing!!!!

Chin up today, despite the gain, okay? :-)

128121576.png

Thanks so much! I'm happy to hear that you're into being educated about food!
    I think all the books and documentaries are so interesting! Its awesome for all of us to keep learning, and being open! You should definitely try the cauliflower, it is SO friggin GOOD! :-)
  • wsandy8512
    wsandy8512 Posts: 1,897 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Shannon, you are doing fantastic, despite the gain! I'm new here and I am not vegan, but I I love a lot of vegan foods, I love a lot of Forks Over Knives meals, I've read The China Study, Eat to Live--I'm all for your kind of eating, I just prefer to have meat as well. However, meat is not a "must have" for me so I think I will be trying some of the things you post. The buffalo cauliflower looks A-Freaking-Mazing!!!!

128121576.png

I think all the books and documentaries are so interesting! Its awesome for all of us to keep learning, and being open! You should definitely try the cauliflower, it is SO friggin GOOD! :-)

You're welcome. I love learning about health and nutrition, in fact, it's why I didn't have a freak out when our 19 year old daughter chose a vegetarian lifestyle when she turned 12. Nothing turned me into a Mama Bear quicker than a family member making snarky comments to her, used to drive me insane. Armed with knowledge, it took me no time to shoot down an avid, "You need meat for protein, type!"

So funny, back when she first started, my Mother-In-Law went on about my daughter possibly getting anemia. However, my son, who was 15yo at the time, stepped in after my MIL said she had anemia as a teen and it wasn't any fun. Conversation went to the effect of:

Son: Grandma, did you just say you had anemia as a teen?
    Grandma: Yes, and it was so bad I had to be hospitalized.
    Son: Were you a vegetarian or vegan back then.
    Grandma: No
    Son: Then apparently meat-eaters are in danger of being anemic as well. As long as she's getting protein from greens, beans, soy, and other things, her risk of becoming anemic is no different than anyone else.
    Grandma: So, what do you kids want to do today?

LMAO

Edited to add: My MIL probably got anemia because like me, she suffered heavy menstrual cycles her whole life, not from lack of protein. But still, I think my son made a good point :-)
  • ShannonOMAD
    Options

128121576.png

You're welcome. I love learning about health and nutrition, in fact, it's why I didn't have a freak out when our 19 year old daughter chose a vegetarian lifestyle when she turned 12. Nothing turned me into a Mama Bear quicker than a family member making snarky comments to her, used to drive me insane. Armed with knowledge, it took me no time to shoot down an avid, "You need meat for protein, type!"

So funny, back when she first started, my Mother-In-Law went on about my daughter possibly getting anemia. However, my son, who was 15yo at the time, stepped in after my MIL said she had anemia as a teen and it wasn't any fun. Conversation went to the effect of:

Son: Grandma, did you just say you had anemia as a teen?
    Grandma: Yes, and it was so bad I had to be hospitalized.
    Son: Were you a vegetarian or vegan back then.
    Grandma: No
    Son: Then apparently meat-eaters are in danger of being anemic as well. As long as she's getting protein from greens, beans, soy, and other things, her risk of becoming anemic is no different than anyone else.
    Grandma: So, what do you kids want to do today?

LMAO

Edited to add: My MIL probably got anemia because like me, she suffered heavy menstrual cycles her whole life, not from lack of protein. But still, I think my son made a good point :-)

Hahaha that's amazing! And it is SO true. I've been overweight my WHOLE LIFE. And no one has ever asked me about my protein consumption. No one has told me to watch my blood pressure, or check for diabetes. No one was concerned with my health, but the second you become a vegan... everyone is concerned! lol, it is hilarious. But, just human nature, I suppose!
  • wsandy8512
    Options
    Hahaha that's amazing! And it is SO true. I've been overweight my WHOLE LIFE. And no one has ever asked me about my protein consumption. No one has told me to watch my blood pressure, or check for diabetes. No one was concerned with my health, but the second you become a vegan... everyone is concerned! lol, it is hilarious. But, just human nature, I suppose!

I know, right? LOL
  • 1MADGIRL
    1MADGIRL Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I love how protective your son is of his sister <3
  • wsandy8512
    Options
    1MADGIRL wrote: »
    I love how protective your son is of his sister <3

Thank you, I am too :-)

• AmyOMAD
    AmyOMAD Posts: 25 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Hello Shannon! I just started OMAD today. I just found the MFP OMAD group this evening. And now I've just found your journal. And guess what?.... I am Vegan :smile: So it's extra awesome to meet you! :smile:
    Reading through some of this thread, we sound very similar too. Five years ago I lost 60+lbs from a juice fast, followed up with raw vegan. After 6 months of that I went towards HCLFRT4 and Freelee and got myself all screwed up gaining weight. 80 lbs gained in the next 2 years from falling completely out of touch with stress, life, and back to omni left me wore out for the following 3 years. Now I'm back to Vegan for the last year straight and am ready to start losing the weight and reintroducing myself to high quality nutrition and OMAD. It's going to be so nice to follow your progress here! I would like to start a journal myself very soon. :smile:
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    My experience is that if we watch what we eat it helps a lot. I can't do keto or super low carb, I don't like how it makes me feel, but if I avoid processed sugar and processed grains (I think white rice and potatoes would fit in here too), I loose weight quickly. I think some of it is water the is shed because every gram of glycogen you store, you store 4-5 g of water from what I've read. I allow about everything else (milk, whole grains, fruits, veg, legumes, etc). If you can't loose weight on 1200-1400 cals a day and are gaining, then I think either your metabolism is very low or may have mis-calculated the calories. Are you exercising much? I think walking would be very good for you if your not doing it. An hour's walk 3xweek will allow you to eat about another 1000 cals a week without any effect, plus it's great to have the physical capacity to do that. Good luck.
  • ShannonOMAD
    Options
    amyereed99 wrote: »
    Hello Shannon! I just started OMAD today. I just found the MFP OMAD group this evening. And now I've just found your journal. And guess what?.... I am Vegan :smile: So it's extra awesome to meet you! :smile:
    Reading through some of this thread, we sound very similar too. Five years ago I lost 60+lbs from a juice fast, followed up with raw vegan. After 6 months of that I went towards HCLFRT4 and Freelee and got myself all screwed up gaining weight. 80 lbs gained in the next 2 years from falling completely out of touch with stress, life, and back to omni left me wore out for the following 3 years. Now I'm back to Vegan for the last year straight and am ready to start losing the weight and reintroducing myself to high quality nutrition and OMAD. It's going to be so nice to follow your progress here! I would like to start a journal myself very soon. :smile:

Hi!!! It is SO nice to meet you! We do indeed sound very similar! I am so happy and curious to follow your progress with OMAD.
  • ShannonOMAD
    Options
    blambo61 wrote: »
    My experience is that if we watch what we eat it helps a lot. I can't do keto or super low carb, I don't like how it makes me feel, but if I avoid processed sugar and processed grains (I think white rice and potatoes would fit in here too), I loose weight quickly. I think some of it is water the is shed because every gram of glycogen you store, you store 4-5 g of water from what I've read. I allow about everything else (milk, whole grains, fruits, veg, legumes, etc). If you can't loose weight on 1200-1400 cals a day and are gaining, then I think either your metabolism is very low or may have mis-calculated the calories. Are you exercising much? I think walking would be very good for you if your not doing it. An hour's walk 3xweek will allow you to eat about another 1000 cals a week without any effect, plus it's great to have the physical capacity to do that. Good luck.

Thanks for the comment! I believe my metabolism is very low. I've always wanted to have it properly tested, but haven't found a close enough facility yet. I have only ever been able to lose fat by consistently eating below 1000 calories per day. Which is why I think OMAD will work better for me than most "diets" I have tried previously. Because eating a 1000 calorie meal is much easier than trying to eat three 300 calorie meals, you know?!
    I do exercise! I typically work out for an hour, 5-6 days a week. But I do have a condition that often makes it impossible to work out for weeks at a time. I am currently able to do upper body resistance training, but not able to walk or do any strenuous cardio.
  • shans34
    shans34 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I'm not vegan but I used to be a strict vegetarian. I get the lifestyle and if it wasn't for my love of hamburgers, I would still be vegetarian. Lasted 13 years!
  • ShannonOMAD
    Options
    shans34 wrote: »
    I'm not vegan but I used to be a strict vegetarian. I get the lifestyle and if it wasn't for my love of hamburgers, I would still be vegetarian. Lasted 13 years!

Hi Shans34! Keep an eye out for Beyond Meat's "Beyond Burger". It is unbelievable! They are plant based burgers that mimic ground beef exactly. they even "bleed" when you cook them. Its CRAZY. Would definitely hit that hamburger craving!
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Even as much as I love meat I would try a Beyond Burger :p
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    What kind of resistance training do you do? Stationary biking may be good also.
  • ShannonOMAD
    Options
    blambo61 wrote: »
    What kind of resistance training do you do? Stationary biking may be good also.

Indeed! I have a spin bike, and use that when I can for cardio, since I can't run/walk anymore. As for other training, I do weight training, body weight exercises, all the usual stuff! :-)
  • wsandy8512
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Shannon, I thought of you today while making my grocery list for tomorrow. Have you ever had Mexican Quinoa Salad with cilantro and lime for extra pizzaz? It's so freaking amazing! Even my husband loves it. One of those things that tastes so good that you crave it the next day. You can use leftovers for wraps if you want.
  • ShannonOMAD
    Options
    Shannon, I thought of you today while making my grocery list for tomorrow. Have you ever had Mexican Quinoa Salad with cilantro and lime for extra pizzaz? It's so freaking amazing! Even my husband loves it. One of those things that tastes so good that you crave it the next day. You can use leftovers for wraps if you want.

Yes! So good!! I used to make a mexican taco bake with quinoa back in the day! salsa and cheese and beans. Delicious! My problem with quinoa now... is that about 10 years ago when I first discovered it, I went CRAZY on it. I had it with every meal. I got so burnt out on it, I can't even look at it anymore! I did the same with chick peas for awhile. haha. If only we could get burnt out and sick of the unhealthy stuff!
  • wsandy8512
    Options
    LOL, been there and done that with super healthy foods. Thankfully not with quinoa or chickpeas though. I love the Forks Over Knives "No-Chicken Salad" made with chickpeas and capers and other goodies. Nomnomnom!
  • ShannonOMAD
    Options
    LOL, been there and done that with super healthy foods. Thankfully not with quinoa or chickpeas though. I love the Forks Over Knives "No-Chicken Salad" made with chickpeas and capers and other goodies. Nomnomnom!

Ooh yeah!! I am just now getting over my chickpea aversion, so I should definitely make that dish soon... I've got a jar of capers just waiting to be used!
  • wsandy8512
    Options
    460gsbajbbqb.jpg

It's very filling! OMG, another thing to now add to shopping list. lol