Random Workout Tales, Lessons, & Woes

124»

Replies

• arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    blambo61 wrote: »
    When in high school eons ago, I decided to do 1000 bench reps with just a bar (45lbs) at home. I started out at sets of 100, then 50 and on down. I wore myself out so bad that I struggled to push that up and therefore I had a hard time getting up off the floor since I couldn't even support my body weight! That was crazy. I did do the 1000 reps.

Wow. I had a friend dare me in high school to try to press just the bar 100 times. I failed. 1000 I can't even imagine!
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    I did 100 sit ups in middle school, I was very proud because I was the only girl to do it :) But don't ask me to do that now!!! :p
  • amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    edited April 2017
    @brendagaudette Only girl to do it - I LOVE that!!! I love all stories of girls with grit and spunk. My daughter (the tall one in my picture) still lists one of her proudest achievements as beating all the boys in arm wrestling when she was in 3rd grade.

(In middle school, I remember my feeling of accomplishment when I learned to climb the rope right up to the top of the gymnasium. But I wasn't the only girl to do it. In high school, I used situps to control my menstrual cramps. 100, 150, whatever it took. Always worked.)
  • Brendalea69
    amflautist wrote: »
    @brendagaudette Only girl to do it - I LOVE that!!! I love all stories of girls with grit and spunk. My daughter (the tall one in my picture) still lists one of her proudest achievements as beating all the boys in arm wrestling when she was in 3rd grade.

(In middle school, I remember my feeling of accomplishment when I learned to climb the rope right up to the top of the gymnasium. But I wasn't the only girl to do it. In high school, I used situps to control my menstrual cramps. 100, 150, whatever it took. Always worked.)

That's awesome, I hated the rope and was terrible at it :p
  • Brendalea69
    edited April 2017
    I was wondering if it's ok to do rebounding on the days that I'm water fasting or should I just stick to walking only?
  • tlblanksfit
    tlblanksfit Posts: 1,573 Member
    What are your thoughts on Water aerobics while doing OMAD? I am looking at taking a deep water exercise class 3 times a week and doing a spin class twice a week. I am 25 pounds to goal.
  • arguablysamson
    On water fasting days, I would always keep things light to moderate. But then, I would aim for the same pattern of increased activity on non-fasting days as well. Do not be afraid to experiment!
  • Vanguard1
    Vanguard1 Posts: 372 Member
    Great workout this morning! My weights are slowly getting back to where they need to be after deloading due to vacation. I am not having any issues with the fasted workouts this time back up.
  • arguablysamson
    edited July 2017
    Had a good 3-mile HIIT yesterday, plus weights. A bit sore today, but oh well.
  • Brendalea69
    Walked 5 miles on my treadmill this morning...3 mph for 5 minutes then 3.5 mph for 5 minutes and it took me 92 minutes total :p
  • mistymeadows2005
    mistymeadows2005 Posts: 3,737 Member
    Walked 5 miles on my treadmill this morning...3 mph for 5 minutes then 3.5 mph for 5 minutes and it took me 92 minutes total :p

That's my favorite way to do it! Nice and relaxed so you enjoy it, and thus might actually do it again LOL.
  • Vanguard1
    Vanguard1 Posts: 372 Member
    Here are a couple of thoughts I have had while in this group, concerning OMAD and exercise; I was leery on whether or not to share them, but here it goes. Most in this group are trying to drop weight (a few are maintaining) and that is a great goal. I also assume that another goal we all share is to look good, and that is where my concern comes in. It is recommended to limit exercise while on OMAD, the less exercise, the faster the weight comes off. By doing this, you will lose the weight, by having a decrease in both Body Fat (BF) and Lean Muscle Mass (LMM), with an end result of being at a goal weight, with a BF% that is the same as the larger version of ourselves. The traits that we are after to look good (muscle definition, toned, visible abs) come from a lower BF%, not from being skinny. So I always recommend a strength training program with any weight loss program. This will ensure that the maximum amount of LMM is preserved (you will lose some) during the weight loss. You cannot build muscle in a calorie deficit, the goal of strength training is to not to add muscle, but to try not to lose as much muscle. It may (big may in my opinion) slow down your weight loss, but the end result of a leaner body will be worth it. Common fears are "I don't want to bulk up"; you won't, no one accidently gets bulky, it is a deliberate process involving eating at a calorie surplus. I am a Certified Personal Trainer and would love to help anyone who wants more info on a program for them, just shoot me a message. If you don't agree, no sweat, continue OMAD and loosing weight, you are all doing great and motivating me on a daily basis!!
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    edited July 2017
    Vanguard1 wrote: »
    Here are a couple of thoughts I have had while in this group, concerning OMAD and exercise; I was leery on whether or not to share them, but here it goes. Most in this group are trying to drop weight (a few are maintaining) and that is a great goal. I also assume that another goal we all share is to look good, and that is where my concern comes in. It is recommended to limit exercise while on OMAD, the less exercise, the faster the weight comes off. By doing this, you will lose the weight, by having a decrease in both Body Fat (BF) and Lean Muscle Mass (LMM), with an end result of being at a goal weight, with a BF% that is the same as the larger version of ourselves. The traits that we are after to look good (muscle definition, toned, visible abs) come from a lower BF%, not from being skinny. So I always recommend a strength training program with any weight loss program. This will ensure that the maximum amount of LMM is preserved (you will lose some) during the weight loss. You cannot build muscle in a calorie deficit, the goal of strength training is to not to add muscle, but to try not to lose as much muscle. It may (big may in my opinion) slow down your weight loss, but the end result of a leaner body will be worth it. Common fears are "I don't want to bulk up"; you won't, no one accidently gets bulky, it is a deliberate process involving eating at a calorie surplus. I am a Certified Personal Trainer and would love to help anyone who wants more info on a program for them, just shoot me a message. If you don't agree, no sweat, continue OMAD and loosing weight, you are all doing great and motivating me on a daily basis!!

I think it is important too to maintain muscle but it will stall the weight loss while muscle is being gained and water is being retained and that can be very discouraging for some. I think if you're really heavy, it can wait. If your not real heavy, then I think it should be part of our physical fitness plan. I think we should all be concerned with 1)BMI or %bf, 2) muscular strength and endurance, 3) cardio strength and endurance, and 4) flexibility (that is what my boy scout personal fitness merit badge says anyways!). As far as losing muscle and ending up the same %bf as we are now, I don't think that is possible since we would have to lose lean body mass in proportion to fat loss at the current %bf we are at. If we are are 33% bf, then we would need to lose 2l-bs of lean body mass for every lb of fat we lose to maintain 33% bf. Even if we lose muscle, our %bf will improve at the same time we are losing the muscle. I do agree though that we should try to limit our muscle loss and if we do that and lose fat, our %bf will improve even faster.
  • Eddy_65
    Eddy_65 Posts: 66 Member
    edited June 2018
    Here's my routine. Once per week, I visit a physical therapist who has prescribed a SuperSlow protocol (more on this below) using certain selectorized weight machines. I have some physical issues, so there are several exercises that are contraindicated. What I can do is a seated press, a pulldown, a neck flexion, and a leg press.

The goal with each exercise is to spend two minutes under load. Originally, I raised the weight for 10 seconds and then lowered it for 10 seconds. That equaled one repetition. Six total repetitions (often easier said than done) would equal two minutes. Recently, we altered that to 10 seconds to raise and 30 seconds to lower, for one repetition. The two minutes under load is now done in three repetitions. I move from station to station with no rest in between exercises, so this is good cardio as well. Total session time, including stretching at the end, is about 15 minutes.

On this day, I "break" the OMAD protocol to take in a protein shake within 30-60 minutes of the end of the session. It's low calorie (~160), but contains 12 oz. unsweetened almond milk, 28 g. of pea or whey protein powder, and a "pinch" of powdered creatine. I have the regular OMAD later, at the planned time.

The other days, I walk. This includes taking public transportation rather than driving, whenever feasible.

Finally, to isolate the core, I hold single a plank position for time, several times per week. I aim to increase it by five seconds for each new attempt.

EDIT: I just realized that the post prior to mine was nearly a year ago! Consider this a "bump," I guess.